• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Dark Souls: The Second Flame [Closed]

Characters
Here
Eward knew he had made things more than a little awkward for the party, especially for the girl suffering. It was not his intention of course- his last real memories were as a soldier, fighting for Gwyn. His very being recoiled at the thought of attacking him or the rest of the divine family. Still, he wanted to make sure he conveyed that he genuinely did not care, at least not in the way he once did. He looked back at Caelia, "You may hate me for my instincts, but I revere the gods still, even if I lived in a time when we knew their status as divine was not as people see it today. I say this to be clear that I don't begrudge you your actions. I have not been myself for millennia- but looking over all that has happened since what should have been my death proper, I'm not sure I would feel the same about the gods. And Gwyn knows we were ordered to things one would consider morally grey."

He sighed and rubbed his chin, looking back at her, "I meant it when I said I would not abandon you for what you have done. I know you feel the Blades are your own problem, but I cannot in good faith let them slay you. Even if you indirectly led to the death of a god, his deception was a futile effort that was doomed to fail one day. The Fire was fading- there was little he could do for that," Eward said with some finality, turning away once again. "You do not deserve to die for doing what was for the best, even if it led to an unfortunate end."

Aelbert, on the other hand, had to marvel the altogether simple outlook Lionel had on his magics. Simple faith was enough to power his spells? What sweet bliss that would be.

When asked about his own magic, and Lionel called them miracles, Aelbert shook his head, "Oh you misunderstand. Though I am the High Priest of a Cult, it was not a traditional Cult. It was a cult to knowledge, to the arcane, to the study of magicks deep and unfathomed. Whether or not I can even use many of them in this world where the very laws of reality function differently is debatable. Perhaps if they were based on faith, as something as simple as trust, maybe they could work. But our Cult was of one of Sorceries. No faith was involved with us- for we had the assuredness that our spells would work. Though perhaps thats not too different from your own practice," Aelbert admitted with a laugh.

"Mayhaps one day I will take up the study of miracles- whenever I learn how to be a pious man who trusts in powers higher than myself. I do not have that trust- my trust is referred to myself and dearest companions," Aelbert said, thinking of his many brethren who once roamed the halls of the library.

Lionel watched Eward move ahead, ignoring the question posed to him about miracles. It seemed he preferred to step into the lion’s den. Lionel wouldn’t try to call him back again, but he would make sure to keep watch on the shadows ahead as they fell.

At least there were shadows.

That meant some light.

“Oh!” He let his focus on the conversation return, noting that instead of Miracles of some sort, Aelbert was accustomed to Sorcery. Powerful in its own right, but it required skill and knowledge that Lionel had not trained in. He understood the concepts, of course, and admittedly considered he would be able to learn Sorceries as easily as he learned fencing, but he had not tried his hand at it. “That does make sense, what you used was unlike anything I was familiar with. I could have imagined a Painted World had different Miracles than ours, given it was not created by Gwyn or his children. I did not want to assume.”

Other gods could exist, or the painter of the painting could have instilled different rules into it. He was not familiar enough, although he was fairly certain that Sulyvahn had never once used a Miracle in his life.

He did smile a bit at that, “I suppose we both have assuredness of our spells in some fashion,” he did not believe he would be forsaken, and Aelbert had the time and practice to be certain of his own, “I hope that you will soon learn how to manifest them all here, and if you do ever wish to learn the Miracles of this world, I would be happy to teach you what I can. I cannot teach faith itself, you will have to come upon that trust, but perhaps in witnessing me, you will find it.”

He had always considered the best proof was in action. The fact that he could manifest Miracles through his belief, had to count for something, to give others reason to believe it could work for them, just as well. “Are there such a thing as Miracles in your world?” He did question that, given Aelbert was familiar with the difference.

Up ahead, Caelia kept her gaze straight. She almost wanted to scoff as Eward came forward and seemed to try and explain himself. As if she hadn’t understood his instinct. She did – were she faced with someone who had acted as she had, she wouldn’t really pause to ask questions or try to understand it.

Understanding his position hardly made it better, much as it hadn’t improved her opinion of things with the Blades who came after her. Eward, at least, hadn’t acted on that instinct. That was what mattered.

“I do not hate you, Eward. I would kill me just as quick from where you’re standing, or try to, anyway. I can handle myself against the Blades. There’s little need for you to become involved. As you say – you revere the gods still. Do not make the Blades your problem by slaying one. I understand what they are doing. I understand why. Eventually, they will succeed, or there will be none left.”

Caelia wasn’t sure which she preferred. A part of her deeply mourned the loss of her own status amongst them, but another part was resentful that they’d done nothing to stop Pontiff Sulyvahn. That Gwyndolin was devoured and none had been able to do anything, and they went after her for breaking an illusion. It would have been time better spent on greater evils. “I do deserve to die for this. It does not mean I will make it easy for anyone, Blade, Lord of Hollows, Aldrich’s faithful – so long as I live and so long as Lionel thinks he has a purpose, then so do I.”

It was the one thing that kept her from slipping into insanity and hollowing. The one thing that fought the chill of her armor as she kept walking forward. “You are free to try to reason with any Blade, though. The gods know they won’t talk to me.” Perhaps they’d listen to him.

Aelbert paused as the other man asked if they even had miracles in his homeworld. And frankly... did they? Sure, some of their magics required you to visualize and relied on your force of will, but that was a limited use of creation magic that he wasn't entirely familiar with. "In... a way? We had the more academic sorceries and we were a cult dedicated to knowledge. As such we were more used to teh arcana and the formulas associated with it."

"There was, of course, the area of creation magic that relied on your own force of will mixed with raw arcane energy. It was how we created this," He motioned to the Red Moon on his staff, "Still, that wasn't something i dabbled in much at all. I doubt it would work in this world however- since my world was an artifice of yours, it makes sense that it could be adjusted by one's will. Though I suppose you could say Miracles are like that in a way, really. You use your belief to affect the world around you. Still, different processes I'm sure."

Still, it was worth further study. And either way, he had to say he found the boundless enthusiasm of Lionel about the topic to be refreshing. Just offering to teach him in the ways of miracles at teh drop of a hat- it had been a while since he had met someone who was genuine and caring without prompting. After the mess of his world and wandering in this one, it was quite the time to be alive for Aelbert.

"Thank you for the offer for tutelage and- well, I am quite interested in it," Aelbert admitted with a small chuckle, "Ah to be an initiate again. Perhaps by studying your miracles I will be able to translate my version into something we both could use. Regardless, it would interesting to hear the stories of gods that you have placed your faith in."

As Caelia explained her outlook on things, Eward had to hold back a sigh. Yes, he had forgotten what it was like to deal with honorbound individuals like he himself once was. The knight still was of course to an extent, but there was a change in his mentality from the total worship he had of the King from before the time they fought the dragons to when they did when Gwyn had the Lord Soul. A bit of cynicism that emerged as rumors about the royal family floated about.

Honestly, what sort of person refused another blade when a whole group was after them?

"I understand that you are one to shoulder your burden alone- lord gwyn knows how many dragons I went off to slay solo," Eward chuckled before growing serious again, "But that was what led to my death. There are many dangers in this world still that will kill those of us who fight alone. It takes someone of incredible power and skill to survive without support in this age. And while I may be devout, the gods are dead. Or missing," Eward said sourly before sighing, "What am I suppsoed to do then? I must find a reason to live besides that. And honestly, if the Blades think a grudge should be held after hundreds of years and after you very clearly died once trying to rectify the problem that would eventually lead to this Lord of Hollows like Lord Gwyn would've done- they could overlook their grudge after that."

Eward shrugged, "That is my thoughts for now at least. I have nothing so eloquent as a reason to live as Lionel or yourself, so I must find one. Taking the lives of those who have suffered for their crimes sounds like a terrible reason to go on living."

Faith was a bit of a different process than that. “Yes, will alone never seems quite enough, or else I’d just will this reality to be better,” Lionel said with a chuckle. There was a sadness to it, but even he knew his faith had limits. “The Gods work through us. That is how I see it. We still have to do the work, but if we are willing, the Gods will give us the strength and the power to make the changes.”

It was how he believed he was able to make it so far in the first place. “I do believe that your magics can be adjusted to this world. Someone of this world had to create your world. It would follow that knowing the logics which govern our world, there would be similar rules and limitations to the rules of your world, too, including that which govern magic. I am certain with some practice and time, you will be able to adapt. Just as learning a miracle of this world may help with that, perhaps also learning some sorceries of this world will help.”

If he could learn a bit of both, he may be able to create the theories to use what he could from the Painted World, here. Sulyvahn had been powerful, and while Lionel resented him, the man must have learned how to translate his world’s rules to this one, in order to be so powerful here.

“When we reach the new place, I can try to teach you there, and tell you stories of the Gods. I imagine others there will also have much to add on them.” At least, Lionel hoped. Certainly, they couldn’t be entirely forgotten by now, right? “Perhaps some others will also be able to lend a hand in sorceries. I am not so skilled in them myself,” his smile was embarrassed, as he added, “so unfortunately I will be of little aid there for the theories of sorceries in our world.”

Eward still held some concern about her handling the Blades alone. Caelia wasn’t sure whether to be offended or grateful. Given his earlier outrage about her actions, she supposed grateful was more in-line. “I would not reject your sword against our other foes, and we will have many,” Caelia said, keeping her voice even, “Where it comes to the Blades, you do not need to bear the same taint. If you believe they ought to forgive what I’ve done, speak with them.”

Perhaps some could be reasoned with.

Perhaps some would find more sense from someone who had known Lord Gwyn and may have a better idea of what would be desirable.

“It isn’t as if I can stop you, I couldn’t stop Lionel,” and so he bore the sins of killing Blades, just as well. “But I’d rather you save your grand gestures for him, if you need a reason,” he could take hers. Rise, when she fell. If she fell – she supposed she should still think of it as ‘if’.

Except the chill that was quite unnatural reminded her it was when.

If death didn’t take her, the armor would, and then she might be responsible for Lionel’s death. “He hasn’t lost his sense of direction, or what’s right, what’s wrong. He may be a bit…blind,” naïve, when it came to his faith, “but he’s steadfast. It helps. He helps.” His focus, his steadfastness, his faith, it had centered her many times, and it could center others.

If there was anyone who might rise against the Lord of Hollows, Caelia was willing to believe it could be Lionel. Not alone – but all the same, he could.

Aelbert gave the other priest a wry smile, "I see, well- even if you turn out to be a bit useless when it comes to the field of sorceries, I will endeavor to do my best and assist you. It is only fair after all for all the help you will undoubtedly be giving me as adjust to this world. I know a fair bit about this world but most of that is through book or hushed conversation. Frankly Im just happy to be away from the city of the Lord of Hollows. That place always made me nervous," He muttered, hand unconsciously moving to the bag holding his painting and clutching it.

He couldn't lose his painting. It was both what allowed him to avoid an untimely death in this world but also was his home, his peaceful world gone awry. Even if he could no longer live there or bring his dead friends back to life, he did not want to lose what was left of them due to his own carelessness.

"Maybe," Aelbert said slowly, white locks of hair drifting in the breeze, "We will find the man who created my world. If I could talk to him and understand what he did, perhaps I could fix it. Or even, improve it. I am worried to re-enter it at any point however," He admitted, "I can freely enter of course, but it would leave my home vulnerable in this world. I need somewhere safe to keep it, somewhere I can keep it from ebing destroyed."

The priest sighed and looked over at Lionel, "You understand that feeling I assume? Wanting to keep what remains of the world you knew safe, even if its shattered. If you have miracles that will keep my home safe, I would be eternally grateful- frankly I will be in debt to you in a way I could not repay without following you on your quest and helping keep you safe."

Reason with these Blades? Well, it wasn't as if Eward knew them. Perhaps it would be possible, "Indeed. I know you cant stop me, but still, I do not want to be a burden on you for any reason," Eward said seriously. "I've had enough of that sort of thing. I have nearly gotten my comrades killed through my reckless behavior before. If that recklessness can maybe help keep another friend alive, well," He shrugged.

"Besides, I am undead if you forgot. I will simply come back, and though I wish not to fall into insanity again, I will do what I must to ensure the survival of my comrades. That is a feeling you know all too well yourself Caelia," Eward said, hefting his spear to adjust the way he was carrying its weight.

He paused before continuing, "I did want to ask... you have made a few references that make me... concerned. You say he helps center you. Gives you a purpose to keep on fighting. You are not thinking of slaying yourself for your deeds are you?" Eward said seriously. He knew what it was like to be haunted by fighting and the blood and gore that comes with it. Sometimes it was too much, and it weighed on people. He'd lost some comrades to such self-harm before and he did not want her to do the same thing. Hell, he had some issues with it as well, but if she was struggling with such a burden, he would do his best to help shoulder it.

Lionel could only smile a bit as a laugh threatened at the optimism Aelbert had for his skill at teaching. “I hope for both our sakes, you are a good teacher so I may not frustrate you long,” although he did not think he would be entirely hopeless, it was still something new to him.

As the painting was mentioned, his gaze did move to the bag. “Well…I am capable of blessing objects,” he indicated. He had not been capable of removing the curses in Caelia’s armor or her rings, though he had tried, it had been beyond his skill. “I can weave my miracles into items. I may be able to weave a barrier around your painting, once we have found a place for it – only if you would allow me, I would not want to risk the integrity of the painting. Perhaps, even, I could try to bless just a frame first to see if that would help it,” rather than the actual painting.

But he did know barrier miracles, and he thought he might be able to weave one into the framework of the painting or a frame that would encircle it, to help protect it from the elements or outsiders.

He did understand, of course. Though his time, and the world as he knew it, were gone, he still wanted to preserve and save it, and the one person he had known from that time, as well. It was certainly why he offered, and why he would not do it without permission. Aelbert did not yet understand the miracles of this world, and he had not seen what Lionel was capable of.

Not to mention, Lionel wasn’t sure all that he was capable of. He knew he had once been capable of much, but he had felt he wasn’t quite so powerful. The beast they encountered earlier had proven that. Such a thing would not have troubled Caelia or himself in their previous life – not at the power they’d held before fighting the Soul of Cinder at the Kiln, and yet, they had struggled.

Friend, he said, and Caelia wanted to scoff. They were hardly friends. Not yet. Perhaps it was a potential future for them, but she did not call one ‘friend’ so easily as that. She’d had numerous friends, once upon a time, and learned all too soon how only one could hold the title, and for him, her loyalty would be unbroken.

Even so, she did not wish insanity on Eward.

He spoke of it as if he was not worried, as if it were something he would easily face again if it was necessary for him to do so. Of course, he had been insane and come back from it.

Caelia knew the only reason she came back from it and had any sense of lucidity right then was her own death and whatever rest that put her mind at.

He followed it with his own worries, apparently concerned she would end her life. It was a thought that had crossed her mind more than once, and likely, would persist. It was not death that she feared, particularly now that she knew what was beyond it – nothing. “I have heard the Undead need a purpose to avoid hollowing. Without some sense of self or being, they will go insane, as you did. It is much the same for me. Pontiff Sulyvahn made me one of his Outrider Knights, an exile and a curse all in one, though I did not know that. The rings I wear, and the armor, will consume me and turn me into a mindless beast. I hope that wherever we end up, I can find armor and have time to remove my own.”

But she knew she was already too late.

She didn’t state it, of course, but she knew. The chill had already embedded itself in her again. “I did not always have hair like this,” or eyes, though she couldn’t see them to verify they were that awful amber hue.

Aelbert's lips quirked up into a small smile; of course, he had thought that Lionel would be amicable both to teaching him as well as helping him figure out how to protect his home, but still. It was nice to hear it from the man himself, to hear those sweet words of genuinely extended help. It was in short supply these days. In this world, you either were attacked on the spot or you had to trade to get anything from anyone.

And even then, he had seen many a merchant simply slaughtered for their wares instead of getting the souls they ask for.

"Your willingness to help me is much appreciated Lionel; Perhaps it means little since you lived in a time less forsaken then this, but it is refreshing to have someone that is genuinely good and does not immediately demand some sort of payment for their decency," Aelbert said with a smile. "I dare say, I haven't known you long but I can already tell you are a good man to have as a friend."

Eward's definition of friend was admittedly different than most. He had grown in a time of slavery for all lesser beings than the dragons, a time when your family or those you counted as friends could die suddenly and not be missed by many. Then the war, well, the fact Eward was good at his job just meant that he saw many friends die.

In that environment, there was really only a couple of ways to approach things. Either you push away all men from you to prevent yourself from being hurt, and wither away like a husk of a man. Or you allow everyone into your heart and get hurt every time. For better, or for worse, Eward's heart was not that callous. When he was younger he was loud and boisterous, and even now those youthful behaviors still lingered like the ghost of the young unburdened man ready for a war he used to be.

Of course, he worried about insanity, but it was little consequence to him for now. He had no purpose in this new world, not yet, so if he was driven insane protecting the few people he had found to protect, well, there was his purpose defined. And if he lived, he lived.

He listened to her comment and nodded solemnly, picking up on the hidden meaning. Whether she could be saved would be a question to address when they could be in a safe area. When she mentioned her hair, Eward smiled, "Yes, well, mine is still patchy from my hollowing. Physical appearances are fickle things. But, I understand, truly. Trust me," He moved his hand over his face, "I am full glad that if I die again and again I will be unable to see my own face. Flippant about going into that state I may be, but seeing the decay of Hollowing seep into my skin and rot it again may be too much," he sighed.

Eward did not continue down the path of questioning the curse, or even asking whether or not there was a way out of it. For that, Caelia was quietly thankful. It was not a subject she enjoyed, and it was one Lionel enjoyed even less. She didn’t want to sour his mood so soon, if he overheard, the way she overheard any mention of Gwyndolin.

A flicker of a smile touched her lips at the mention of his own appearance. Physical appearances were fickle, but what was humanity without its vanity? Even Caelia had it, in spite of what had become of her looks. “I won’t tell you how your face looks, and you won’t tell me what color my eyes are. I think we’ll make it just fine that way.”

Likely not. But a bit of humor was…well, something. She didn’t generally joke with others outside of Lionel. To be fair, she hadn’t really had others outside of Lionel for so long.

She still wasn’t warm to the idea of others – but Eward and Aelbert had not yet done anything terribly offensive. Besides apologize for the truth. “Just keep the rest covered in armor and you’ll never see it.” Though she understood. It could still be felt, she imagined, like the chill in her own veins.

Her gaze didn’t settle on him, but on something just beyond. “Hold.” She extended an arm out to make sure Lionel and Aelbert wouldn’t move past them.

Lionel was distracted.

His smile was wane as he was told how much his offer was appreciated. It certainly spoke to the times, but he still understood only too well. His own time may have been better, but that did not make it…good. Obviously. He had seen plenty of people just as cutthroat as Aelbert indicated, “We shouldn’t think too poorly of those people,” he tried, “they are trying to live, too. They may need the help a payment or service rendered could offer. Some talents are draining, or make one vulnerable….”

He still wanted to think the best of others.

He heard Caelia speak from up ahead, and managed to stop himself before he walked into her arm. “What is it?”

She gestured ahead.

He saw trees. Lots and lots of – “Is that a giant?”

“I think so. In front of a gaping hole. Is that the way to where we’re going?” because if so, Caelia had a very bad feeling about this giant.

Eward was pleased by the humor. It was a good sign that not only were they at least being tolerated, but that they were making progress in gaining the trust of the knight and her charge. He was happy for that as the priests seemed to at least be hitting it off and he hoped he could find a similar connection with his fellow warrior.

Aelbert meanwhile gave Lionel a side eye. He appreciated the priest's optimism but that seemed willfully naive. Even if they were just desperate to survive, that did not mean they should abandon their humanity. Then again, this world had been decaying for far longer than just the reign of the Lord of Hollows. Lionel himself lived during a time when the goddess of all good things' presence turned out to be an illusion, and even before then things were going downhill.

Perhaps he expected too much in these dark times. No, it wasn't that he expected it, he just wished for it.

Then both Eward and Aelbert heard what Caelia was wsaying and was gesturing to. Eward's mouth dropped open, "Gods, a giant. I haven't seen one of them in eons. To think one survived to become a tree guardian without falling under the thumb of Lord Gwyn."

Aelbert groaned, "Of course, there's a giant in the way we need to go to the settlement." He looked over at the rest of the group, "I don't think we are lucky enough that someone learned some pyromancy in their free time?"

Eward shook his head, "No, sadly. My miracles likely will be much less helpful if he's truly become like the tree he sits among. They will still work, but I think I will instead just coat my weapon and rely on the sharp end."

That earned a nod from the priest. "Do either of you know anything about this giant Caelia, Lionel? I doubt it based on your reaction, but if we can avoid a fight and killing something that is conveniently gurading the entrance from anyone we don't want following us to the settlement, that would likely be for the best."

It was not a good sign, and they all seemed to recognize that. Apparently, neither Eward or Aelbert had heard of a guardian before their supposed sanctuary.

Lionel shook his head, “I’m afraid I never took to anything but miracles, either,” though he had noticed the charred appearance of Caelia’s blade and how it seemed to hold fire now, even when she lost the sparks that still flickered around himself. “I think Caelia’s sword might be able to.”

“Like I was going to use anything else,” she murmured. She didn’t have anything else and had never learned any form of magic – miracles, pyromancy, or sorceries. It was probably a miracle in and of itself she got so far without that kind of helping hand.

At the following question, both Caelia and Lionel shook their heads, “I know it’s in the way,” Caelia offered.

“It might be reasonable! I heard that some giants were.” Lionel suggested. Caelia let out a long-suffering sigh. This was familiar to her. “Come on, we don’t know for a fact it’s lost.”

“There is literally abyssal energy wafting out around it, and there is an engorged dark pus on its back. If memory serves, that tends to mean its lost.” It was hard to see those things, but she had a good eye for them. When one was afraid of insanity, they looked for the signs. The Abyss and its marking was a pretty good sign.

“It may be fighting it.”

Caelia knew she could stride right ahead and end this argument. However, she also knew that would just cause Lionel to sulk. “Do you remember how we used to check?”

It took Lionel a moment. His brows furrowed together, and then, it dawned on him, “Ah!” An old saying, of music and beasts, and one he’d swear was true even with Caelia in her moments where it seemed she was lost. “Okay. Go ahead, I’ll follow.” He knew better than to step first. “We’ll see if it’s safe, and if it isn’t, you two should prepare.” If it was, then their preparations would be for naught, but still – better safe than sorry in this world.

It wasn’t long before Lionel’s familiar voice filled the air. He’d been a choir boy in his earliest years, but had never quite lost his love of music, and he knew so many hymns and melodies by heart.

“Turn your face towards the sun
Let the shadows fall behind you
Don't look back, just carry on
And the shadows will never find you….”

The Ent seemed to stir with their approach, groggy, and seemingly, confused. Caelia didn’t take that for a good sign, even if she could see a glint of hope from Lionel.

It was crushed almost immediately as the Ent let out a deafening roar and grasped at a tree it had uprooted at one point for a weapon. “Get back!” Caelia ordered, though it was entirely unnecessary as Lionel had already cast a spell on himself to move away, avoiding being smacked. Caelia met the force of the tree with her own blade, but rather than try to block it, she hoped to cut it down in size.

Instead her sword just cut through half of it before it seemed to get stuck and she was pushed forward with the force of the strike. But she grounded herself, and tried to hold it there, its weapon stuck on hers.

Eward raised an eyebrow as the two talked about... talking to the creature? Well, he supposed they could be not that far gone, but now that Caelia mentioned it, this giant did have odd pus and miasma coming from it. What was that about an abyss? Most curious, he'd have to ask about that. It felt like something important but he wasn't sure what exactly it was. Regardless, he coated his spear with crackling lightning, waiting to see what exactly they would do.

Aelbert was almost beside himself- what were they doing? Were they actually going to- well, he knew he brought up the idea, sure, but it was mostly to judge Lionel's character as a priest a bit more, not for the two of them to immediately start moving to do something to try and talk with the gnarly looking giant. Magic take him, did Lionel have that little sense of self-preservation? Was Caelia 95% of his impulse control?

And then he was caught speechless as Lionel began singing. First of all, where did he learn such beautiful melodies? Sure, they sang communally back in his world, but it was more dour, more of a song one could read to then this, which felt bright and shining. Secondly, holy shit, Lionel had the voice and clarity of an angel.

His awe almost distracted Alebert enough that he missed the roar of the ent.

He didn't of course, though he was much less ready for it than he had been before. Eward mean planted his spear in the ground as the tree was hefted to be slammed into Caelia. As she struggled against it, Eward let loose the lightning arrow, hitting the beings head in an effort to draw its attention. He then grasped his spear and began rushing it, yelling loudly to draw its attention away from the other struggling knight.

Meanwhile grit his teeth and aimed his magics at the makeshift weapon the ent used, throwing magic at it in an attempt to blast the other side apart so caelia could cut through it or loosen her sword from its spot and be free.

‘Just hold it. Hold it and the others can get at it.’ Caelia felt her feet slipping as she was pushed, more and more, back. Thankfully, that was when the others started to join in, the magic slingers and the other knight.

Lightning crashed into the ent. It was a large enough target, and certainly inflicted pain, but the creature was hardy after so long. The attention shifted, but it couldn’t stay shifted – after all, it couldn’t quite take its weapon so easily to the next target, unless it wanted to drop the weapon, which it did not want to do at all.

But the stillness of his tree club allowed it to take hits of lightning which did chip away at it.

That wouldn’t do.

The ent stopped pushing against Caelia as he recognized the other threats. That off-balanced her, and that was all the ent needed. Once it had pulled back and unsettled Caelia, it was able to push right back before she got her balance. Her grip on the weapon was her downfall. The ent swung out and hurled Caelia into the cavern’s wall, the sword sticking in its own tree as she slumped against the wall, before it rounded on the one with the spear and attempted to slam its newly freed weapon against Eward.

Lionel, meanwhile, had been weaving spells of speed for himself, and for the others – first Eward, thinking the wind at his feet would help him with his own plans of attack, then Aelbert, since he would need to stay at a distance. He was about to do much the same to Caelia when he saw the ent finally gain the upper hand. A gasp escaped him, and then he quickly wove a healing spell, hoping he’d be fast enough.

Faster.

Not that he ever was faster than that accursed armor.

The knight looked back as he was buffed with speed and nodded in appreciation.

Eward's eyes widened as the tree managed to shake off Caelia and throw her to the side. He narrowed his eyes, grabbing his spear and wrenching it from the ground. As the Ent raised its club to slam him into the ground, he quickly rolled forward, crouching to avoid hitting his head on the massive handle of the club as it hit the ground where he'd been standing, making the ground tremble. His hand pulled out a bundle of Charcoal Pine and quickly buffed his weapon with it.

He lunged forward while the Ent was strill recovering from its heavy slam into the ground and yelled as he thrust his spear up and into the shoulder of the great beast, hoping to damage it enough to render its club unusable.

Meanwhile, Aelbert winced as he saw Caelia hurt, knowing Lionel would be focused on her for the moment. He pulled the mana from his staff and shaped it into a blast of magic and launched it as soon as the creature was still and Eward landed his spear in its shoulder. The blast arced towards the creatures head, crackling with power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back