• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Dark Haven | Flashbacks and Side Stories

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Jet

Uncultured
This is the thread for self contained side stories and flash backs. If you have a story from the past, or perhaps a side adventure worth detailing, put it here!

Nestsick

Night had just arrived in the east coast of the US, and after a busy day of touring and unpacking, students from the New York Academy for heroes were mostly neatly in their beds already, a preparation for the busy day of school that would follow. Linnet Chase was at her bed, wearing her pajamas and with her hair loose, yet she had one more thing to do before sleeping. She sitting up, staring at the screen of a banged-up laptop while anxiously fiddling with her hair.
“C’mon…” She pleaded to the screen. “You didn’t forget it again, did you?”
The screen flashed green and the computer made a ping sound that caused the girl’s face to light up immediately. She hushed to click the 'call' button, but the other side was faster – all she had to do was accept it. A face popped up on the screen, one that she knew all too well. He may look like a fully armed, gritty and dangerous soldier in some sort of military tent, but the feeling of home in his smile always assured her that he was, first and foremost, her father.

“Birdie!” Rayner greeted. “I’ve missed you-“
“You’re late again.” Linnet replied. Despite her words, her tone was soft, almost condescending. “I thought you had forgot.”
“Pffft! Like I would miss your big day. So? How do you like it in Sutterton High?”
“It’s...” Linnet hesitated a moment, glancing left for a short moment. “Fancy. Lots of hallways, makes middle school look like a slum.”
“What about the teachers? The colleagues? Any handsome lad stole your heart yet?” The girl flinched at that comment and stared away, pulling her hair over her shoulder to stroke it vigorously. Why was she thinking of her at a time like this? Must have been the stress of it all.
“…Not exactly. A boy tried to talk smack about you, and I just couldn’t control myself…” Rayner’s face turned serious as he heard the conversation. He had definitely heard that story before. “But a girl came in and broke the fight. So I guess I made a friend. Maybe.”
“Look at you go! This could be your chance, birdie. Make sure you cherish them all you can.” A brief pause as Linnet nodded in agreement. “So have you thought about a career yet?”
“Let’s talk about you.” She interrupted. “You’re pretty geared up. Is that a Desert tech? .556 NATO rounds?”
“I see your eyes are as sharp as always. Yes, my baby’s brand new. I was getting bored of the FAL, and this is just a lot easier to carry around. Don’t want your old man getting back pains before 40, do you?”
“I guess.” Linnet chuckled, but then turned serious again: “Something tells me you don’t have it just to show it off to me. You have a mission today.”
“That I do.” Rayner replied tiredly. “It’s nothing dangerous, birdie. We’re over-stacked if you wanna know my thoughts. Just get in, do the job and get out. I’ll be safe.”
Another big moment of silence. Rayner stared deep into the eyes of his daughter and knew in his heart that she wasn’t buying it. It was a dialogue that happened so many times that it overcame the need of words, since they both knew what would be said. Whatever the circumstances were, it would never be safe out there where he was. Every talk could be the last, no matter how much he tried to pretend it wasn’t. He sorely missed the times his precious girl was too naïve to understand what was going on. Linnet finally broke the silence, stumbling quickly through her words:

“When can I visit you a-“
“Not gonna happen.” Rayner interrupted her. “I told you, you can’t.”
“It’s not fair, dad!” She whined, releasing her hair to clench her fists at the side of her body. An avalanche of words was building up inside of her and pushing to get out, but she held them all back, an effort strong enough to make her throat hurt. Instead of saying them, she simply let out with a cracking voice: “I miss you too much.”
“I know, Linnet. Long breathes.” Rayner spoke softly as his daughter struggled to recompose herself. “It’s not just a visit, you and I both know that. If I let you back into my life again, even if it is a little bit… You know what happens, don’t you?” He asked, pulling his collar down a bit.
Linnet reacted by pulling down her own collar a bit. Just below the mid-section of her collarbone, there was a small scar, a remnant of a bullet wound after having healed all that her quirk allowed. Just touching it directly brought her memories back to the day it happened – the gunfire, the explosions, the dead bodies, and her father desperately carrying a 12-year-old Linnet through it all as she hanged on to dear life.
“No visits then.” She finally broke the silence. Her voice bled defeat all over. “Only calls.”
“Yep.” Rayner agreed. He then used a lighter tone to add: “You know most kids your age would kill to get their pops from nosing around their business, right?”
“I do.” Another pause followed after that. Neither side seemed bothered by the silence. It was merely a matter of being in each other’s company, even if for just a moment more before Linnet said: “…I should probably head to bed.”
“And I should probably get going too.”
“Stay safe, for the love of-“
“I will.” Rayner interrupted her. “Stop worrying about me so much and start worrying about yourself. It’s all I ask. Goodnight, birdie.”
“Goodnight."

Rayner Chase stared full of longing as his daughter disconnected the call. He’d sacrifice anything to give her a warm hug and tell her everything was going to be alright. Well, anything but her safety. He close his laptop, stowed it away and got up; despite being set up like a perfect military tent, his background was nothing but a set-up, a fake environment set up inside of the Dark Haven Vigilante base.

I’m such an idiot. He’s doing his best to make ends meet and to move on from that day, and here I am, lying to his face and risking everything with this stupid plan. I don’t even deserve a dad like him… I just hope he can forgive me when the truth comes out. Doesn’t matter. I will save him no matter what.

I’m such an idiot. She’s doing his best to make ends meet and to move on from that day, and here I am, lying to her face and risking everything with this stupid plan. I don’t even deserve a kid like her… I just hope she can forgive me when the truth comes out. Doesn’t matter. I will save her no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back