• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dark Crusade {thefierysiren & Snowy Halation}

Snowy Halation

He looks into my eyes, lost in pauper’s bliss.

Prologue

“As I pen these words to leave a lasting record, I wonder myself where it all began.”

I do not remember much of my parents, It's all very confusing to me and what isn't, just remains hidden between patches of light and warmth.

"It's just clouds!" I protested in disbelief when I found out my parents were sailing away on one of the first expeditions towards the lost continent. "That's just silly.... It's just a very big and very dark cloud floating in the sky! You'll get there and there will be nothing! you're going to sink!" I pouted again then turned to gaze at them, my mortal enemies, the clouds that had taken my parents away and seemed to engulf the sun over the horizon; The blue skies and golden sun rays eventually turned blue, orange and red in as the night approached.

The dusk had always been a terrifying sight for me because every time the sun would set, the violent clouds would create the most horrifying shapes in the sky. I used to think demons lived there and despite my prayers to the Gods, I wasn't far off from the truth.

"Come on kid...." He trailed off, his protecting voice was tinted with a cheerful note almost chuckling in the sweetest way. "You're smarter than that" Reaching down to stroke my silvery blonde hair contouring the waves of my long locks with his palm he was careful enough not to undo the flower crown he had made for me that afternoon. "We will come back, I promise" His reassuring words drew a smile upon my face as I hid my true feelings. Maybe if I had told him how I really felt he would have hugged me one last time, maybe he would have understood and maybe he would still be with me now. I still blame myself for that, don't I?

My mother wasn't far behind. Her elegant figure and straight silky hair always awed me while bathed in the light of the sunset. The knowing look she gave to me as she walked towards us right at the edge of the beach told me I would miss her just as much as I would miss my father. She was always harsh on me but only because she loved me perhaps even more than he did. That was the last time I saw them.

Eraklion and Eanna, The brave Elven warriors who took part in the first expedition to the lost continent but never came back. I watched myself grow up alone as I gazed upon my reflection on the salty water that the waves carried in and dragged out in an endless cycle.

On a more cheerful note growing up I realized I wasn't so alone as I had thought, I had inherited so much from my beloved parents. My father's golden hair, his goodhearted nature, his wits and skills with the sword. My mother's silver eyes and her sleek figure, her intelligence and most importantly the shield she wielded to so many battles in which she saved my father's life more than once.

He would always tell me in a very displeasing pirate accent. "If it wasn't for your mother I would have lost a leg and an arm a very long time ago!"
I was armed with my parent's skills and my very own conviction but I was also filled with anger at the returning champion who never spoke of what laid beneath the clouds.

I wanted to know everything there was to know about the lost continent, about my parent's last adventure and where they are now.

Now as a young woman I must venture upon the unknown.

Helena

Last edited by a moderator:
Prologue

I was the reason that my parents spent their days arguing. They liked to pretend that my existence wasn't an issue...that the little things they fought over were for any other reason, but I knew better; we all knew better.

My step-father hated me the moment he'd set his glaring red gaze on me. He'd wanted nothing to do with the half-human step-child he knew he'd inherit with his marriage to my mother. Who could blame him? Half-demons were a useless taboo with their inability to perform basic magic of any sort. I always have been nothing but a walking disgrace to him, and the demon community as a whole.

My mother had always encouraged me to embrace the human characteristics that came with being a hybrid. She used to be the one to remind me that it wasn't my fault that I was born half human. I'm not quite sure when she stopped loving me and started blaming me for her ever failing marriage, I only know that it happened and that my human-like features were no longer something that she saw as unique, but something she saw as a curse. I found myself comparing me to her in all the wrong ways. The auburn curls that were lackluster compared to her fiery mane, the light brown skin that only made her paleness seem more pearlescent, the dark brown eyes that were like mud compared to her amber ones and the petite figure that was the complete opposite of my mother's sinfully voluptuous form.

That's when I began hating me.

The only person who's never once hated me is my step brother. He was the spitting image of his father with his piercing red eyes, dark hair, and pale complexion. The difference is, where his father took every opportunity to rip me to shreds, he did everything within his power to build me up. To make me the strong young woman that I am today. He taught me to be stealthy, to use the twin daggers that are always hidden in my boots, and to fight like hell even when the odds were against me.

He was the reason that venturing into the lost continent ever become an option for me. If I never came back, my family would be better for it. If I did come back, I'd have proven myself and given them a reason to accept me.

At least that's what I like to tell myself. Either way, I have nothing to lose.

Chapter 1

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”

Our young elf found herself sitting on a wooden table, although not very big it was well polished, had a great finished look while rustic it was meant to look that way. According to the owner of the house it had been a gift from her husband, the lumberjack on one of their anniversaries. she couldn't remember which one though and thus the table itself had a small romantic story to tell in it's rectangular glory.

The window allowed golden patches of sunlight in from the green plains on the outside, they revealed the rosy tones in the wood and the pastel yellow on the walls. It was a happy place to be in at dawn and a peaceful one at dusk.

Helena gazed out the window and her face bathed in the sunlight which made her otherwise peach pink skin look almost translucent and painfully beautiful to look at, her eyelids shut ever so slowly concealing the oceans of cold silver while she deplored the decision of waking up so early. It was a special day, special days start at first light and occasionally a special breakfast to go with them; The fragrance of eggs, bacon and bread fresh out of the oven filled the room and invaded her palates.

The cold air blew, gracing her golden locks as it passed through like a welcomed guest. "We learn from today, so tomorrow is perfect and suddenly tomorrow is today" She replied.

"Always a soft spot for philosophy, don't you? You haven't changed a bit ever since we met, Lena" The woman across the kitchen had a sweet expression on her face, she wasn't smiling as she kept busy with the duties of the day but you could tell from the wrinkles on her face that her life had been graceful and filled with goodness rather than hardship. She wore her sweetness to every single occasion even on the darkest days.

She walked over to the young elf but Helena towered over her human stepmother and as they stood next to each other she was reminded that she loved her just as much as she had loved either one of her parents despite being so different from the moment they took breath.

A plate was served and while the woman had no food on her side she sat across the table looking at her daughter who wasn't really her daughter eat with great joy the first and most important food of the day.

"I will miss you" She said doubting for a split second if she should just let the past be the past once and for all but they both knew better. "I will miss you more, my dear Lena"

Ophelia had once been a town beauty envied by most women and regarded the most eligible by many men, descendant of some degree of royalty and although her status divided her from the middle class, her big heart brought her close to the less fortunate and completely differentiated her from the ones that were meant to be her 'equal' on the upper class. It was then that while helping the poor she met her late husband, the father that Helena didn't have the luck to meet. Ophelia always remembered him 'Just as generous as the upcoming spring'

He died while they were still young and while times were often hard Ophelia kept her promise and devoted her life to helping those who could not help themselves and so just like a prophecy she found young Helena wandering the streets and looking for her parents who never returned; Ever since then and with a little bit of patience she managed to win over this young and stubborn elf's heart.

Helena was one of those few lucky to find generous people in her life and although she didn't wasn't known for being in the wild like her kin was supposed to be, no magical talent even though so many elves do however weak magic had grown and couldn't even feel the slightest hint of it she was happy. Ophelia always joked had she be born with smaller ears and a shorter stature she would not be an elf at all.

Elves were supposed to be magical or something but Helena didn't feel ethereal at all, she actually felt like a normal girl living a loving life but the past called to her heart as elves have too good of a memory and while hers was not photographic in her heart she could not let go of the mystery that surrounded her parent's disappearance.

"I will come back. I promise, mother" she said gently as she got up and walked towards a small chest near the backdoor of the house. This was her treasure, it was the heart and feelings of the people she loved the most. The small was small enough to hold the short sword belonging to her father, it was silver from one end to the other and even the leather around the handle had been carefully bleached in order to be as white as snow. The sword wasn't fancy and it looked like the work of any blacksmith but despite it's ordinary appearance her father had always told her that it belonged to her great grandfather which meant the sword was forged in the lost continent, the only reason he hadn't taken it was because it was considered a family heirloom.

He mother's shield was right next to it and while the sword gave a warm faint shine whenever it was struck by the sunlight the shield was polished to near perfection and kept in pristine conditions over the years. A result of her mothers compulsive behavior over weapons no doubt, she had forged that shield herself from the finest elements and minerals in the new continent while she was still a young woman and with it she had protected her husband many times in battle. "Back then there were many disputes" She thought admiring the thought of her mother bearing through it all.

While the sword and shield had been the closest items for Helena in a long time two more had been added to the list as she took out a white dress that looked delicate enough to be a wedding attire. Ophelia had made it for her and while the piece looked fragile at best it was actually made from wool of arctic armadillos which lived only at the top of the highest mountain, it was a special dress that only her stepmother's kindness for helping an adventurer had landed.

A pair of gloves which were made to match her shield were at the bottom of the chest and while they didn't look as special as the sword, shield or dress they had been craft by Andrew, a young human boy son of the town's blacksmith which she considered a younger brother after saving him that one time that one giant mushroom that once lived out of town, after Helena had dealt with it nobody would be afraid anymore.

The town she lived in now was small and very far away from the main city but it had a very close community; Once she had settled in and seeing how all their request to hire a hero for help against some forest monsters were denied she couldn't stand still much longer. Helena wasn't experienced in the arts of heroism but the initial training her parents left her with and the constant practice was all she needed to keep the people close to her safe.

One more hour passed the front door opened, the battle maiden stepped outside looking ready for battle but one last look at her mother who was not her mother turned her frown much softer and her spirit broken "This is where I go...but I will be back"

she repeated reassuring herself rather than the older woman in the room whom had complete faith in her. "I know dear"

Another step further and she was outside, the coldness of the air gracing her dress and hair. "Goodbye mother" She said one last time as she turned around abruptly and ran towards the town's entrance. No long goodbyes were needed for she would always be in her heart. It was time to spend money and get to the city's port.

"You don't have to do this, you know." Rowan stated for the umpteenth time as he crossed his arms. His back was turned to his younger step-sister and she didn't respond, but he knew she'd heard him.

Kheryx had no intention of revisiting the argument that they'd had so many times before. So she pretended that she didn't hear him, even though she knew that he knew she had. She had just finished pulling on the fitted leather armor that Rowan had given her as a farewell gift that morning. She tossed her waist-length hair over her shoulder and her hands roamed over the bodice. She found herself amazed at the softness and quality of the leather. "Where did you find the money for this?" she faced him knowing that he'd hear her shift in movement and know that she was dressed.

He turned and looked her over before giving a smirk of approval. "It fits like a glove." he walked over to her to better admire the armor. "I knew it would." Kheryx's dark eyes narrowed and before she could even open her mouth to repeat her question he held up a finger to her lips. "Save your breath. I have another gift for you." Rowan's eyes twinkled and he left the room returning with a wooden box that he held out to her expectantly.

She stared at him for a moment memorizing his features as she was all to aware that this could be the last time she would see him. Her loving step-brother with the cold maroon eyes that came to life when he spoke to her. She took note of his dark hair and the way it always looked presentable even when he'd just awakened. He was the only thing that she even remotely cared about; the only person that would miss her when she left. Without thinking, she reached up and traced his jawline while musing to herself of how much it resembled his father's. The same father who's attitude towards her was the complete opposite of his son's.

Rowan cleared his throat pulling her from her thoughts and she jerked her hand back as if his face had burned her before looking to the floor and allowing her auburn curls to hide her embarrassment. His brow furrowed as he lowered the box, "Are you alright, Kheryx?"

"I'm fine." she snapped and he smiled as she jerked the box from his hands and opened it. "I'll ask you again. Where did you get the money for this?" her voice was more shocked than anything as she beheld twin obsidian daggers. The edges of the daggers were forged from high carbon steel and the obsidian core of each dagger were marked with demon runes.

"Calm down. I didn't steal them or anything." he laughed. "I used the money from our odd jobs."

Kheryx started at the new-found information "What? You said you were saving that money for something important...I can't accept these. Take them back." her tone suggested that there was no room for argument, but that had never stopped him before.

"No." he retorted pushing the daggers back into her hands "They're yours. I had them made specially for you. You see those runes? I cast the spell that made those. How could you not accept them?" Kheryx opened her mouth to reply, but he cut her off once again. "Please...this could be the last conversation that we ever have. The last moments that we even speak to each other. I don't want to spend them arguing." his voice was stern, but his eyes were pleading with her and she conceded.

She didn't say that she'd given in, she only leaned over and slipped her old daggers out of the calf-sheaths hidden in the sides of her boots. When she was done, she held out her old weapons to him. "Then these are yours. I won't ever need them again." He said nothing as he took the daggers from her and placed them in the box.

Setting the box aside Rowan grabbed a brush and a ribbon from the makeshift vanity across the room and waited for Kheryx to take her seat before him. As soon as she was seated he began the familiar routine of brushing her hair and pulling it into a french braid. It was something that he used to do to calm her in her younger days, in recent years it was just a habit. When he had secured the ribbon on the end of her hair, neither of them moved for a few moments as if they were unsure of what to say.

"I have to go." Kheryx stated. She didn't know what else to say and they were running out of time.

"You know--"

"I don't have to do this." she finished for him. She stood up and turned to him and gave him a hardened look that seemed out of place on her innocent features. "I know....but I am doing this." They stared at each other for a few more moments. There was so much each of them wanted to say and at the same time neither of them had anything to say.

"I'm leaving, Rowan." Realizing that they weren't going to get anywhere, Kheryx headed for the door. Before she could take more than a few steps, Rowan wrapped her up in a hug.

"I know you think that you don't have a reason to come back, but you do...I'll be waiting for you." he whispered before letting her go.

Kheryx didn't respond. There was nothing she could say that she hadn't already said and they both knew it. So without anything else holding her back, she headed for the port.

The golden tones that tinted the afternoon brightened up with every passing hour as the sun rose to it's complete magnificent at the highest point in the sky, it was noon already and the cold fresh air of the morning warmed up and was now a breeze full of smells raging from early breakfast eggs and toast to the smell of freshly cut grass and recently squished orange juice not to mention the stronger smell of delicious fish and shrimps and all sorts of creature from the seabed.

"It is so different in here..." She thought with amusement as the stone streets filled with people of any sort of race and color alike in a rush to go on about their days. Helena was overwhelmed with the amount of attention an unknown like her was receiving from the street vendor who offered her an assortment of weapons from the smallest dagger to the biggest great sword which was kind of silly considering the lack of muscle she had on her feminine body. Taking a look around was even better although she dared not explore any further as it was almost time to go but from what she could see there were hundred of houses build together one after the other with bright colors about them while some remained in the same grayish color particular form that kind of stone needed to build them.

Eventually she ended up in a slope where the salty air of the seaside hit her nostrils and the freshness of the place graced her hair and dress. It was the town's port at the bottom. Her delicate features lightened up from a concerned one from trying not to get lost an excited one as she started at the biggest ship in it with dozens of heads at the base of it families and people who would embark it no wonder.

"Little miss" A voice called from around the corner, she perked up. "Yes, sir?" She asked in an almost too innocent tone. "Are you going on the expedition?"

She picked up the pace down the slope as the man had warned her that it was almost time for the ship to sail.

Kheryx ran the rest of the way to the port. Her goodbye with Rowan had taken far longer than she anticipated, and she was running late. She knew that this was her chance to escape her dysfunctional family and all the problems she caused them and the thought only made her run harder and faster. Her braided ponytail slapped her back in rhythm as she dodged through the many people milling about the marketplace. As she drew near to the boat she could see that it was slowly leaving the port. Not wanting to miss her chance, Khyrex pushed her limits and ran to the edge of the dock before planting both of her feet and jumping as hard and far as she could. Knowing that she wouldn't land on her feet she rolled on the deck to minimize the pain of the impact. She stopped on her back and found herself looking up at a blue haired demon.

"Well...You've done them all a good service. I bet they're glad to be rid of you." he smirked down at her.

"I'm sorry...are you speaking to me?" she sat up in shock, not because of what he said, but because he was speaking to her at all.

Realizing his error, he didn't acknowledge her again and stepped over her before joining his friends. She got up and rolled her eyes before making sure that her armor was straight and heading over to an empty place along the edge so she could stare at the water. It was sure to be some time before they reached their destination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back