• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Danger and deceit (Completed)

"Really, Agent." The assassin sighed. "I thought you said that words were your weapon. I'm afraid that is proving to be a very dull one." He took two confident steps closer to Louisa, taking a stance of a cat that is ready to pounce on its prey. "The answer to your riddle is: footsteps. In my profession you learn to leave none over the time." He had two large knives drawn out, the blades glinting very ominously. "Take out your weapon. It's my turn."

While they exchanged their first words, the wind started blowing. The leaves were rustling all around them, giving the forest an ominous look. There was a sound of distant growling that could have been a thunder.

- Go offensive.
- Go defensive.

Hell, Louisa narrowed her brows, of course he'd know a child's riddle! I'll have to be more creative. "I'm just warming up," she lied.

Pulling out her dagger, she stood a defensive stance. While she knew little of close-combat in general, she did know some basic self defense techniques.

Here's hoping her father's lessons would come in handy.

When he saw her take a defensive stance he took it as a cue to attack. He lunged at her with frightening speed, testing her guard. Their weapons clashed for a brief moment before the assassin jumped back. He was using one knife only, even though he held both in his hands. His gaze dropped down to his left hand and he threw the weapon away, its point embedding in the ground.

"Let's keep this a fair fight." He said and then lurched at her again. It was clear that his first attack was just to test her. This time, though, he slipped under her guard easily, flicking her smaller knife away with his own blade and before she could move to defend again, his now free left hand struck a blow in her ribs, that made her double over in pain.

The assassin stepped back away from her again, letting her catch her breath. His voice was cold. "Your turn, Agent." The howling of the wind continued. It was getting louder.

- Ask the second riddle.

Louisa let out a pained "Oof!" and grasped her torso. She gasped for breath, catching it a few seconds later. Doubled over, she glared up at the assassin behind dark curls.

He knows how to hit, even without a blade, she thought. At least he's playing fair.

"Alright," she stood up straight, inhaling sharply through her nose. Louisa closed her eyes momentarily, reflecting on her childhood lessons. What was that one Mother once said? Something about...

She opened her eyes. "An open ended barrel, I am shaped like a hive. I am filled with flesh and the flesh is alive. What am I, assassin?"

The assassin looked at her for a while longer. His stance relaxed as he was deep in thought. After a couple of moments an amused smile spread across his lips.

"I'll give you that one, Agent. You have scored a hit." He pulled on one of his gloves, adjusting it. "Go ahead. Ask the next one."

The rumbling in the distance deepened. The sound seemed to be getting closer, like a thunderstorm was approaching. But, neither of them had any time to worry about the weather at that point.

- Go ahead with the next riddle.

Letting out a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding, Louisa almost smiled, relieved. "A thimble - or thymel, which it is most commonly called." She tapped her index finger, as if to demonstrate where the imaginary thimble would go.

Having gained a small rush of confidence Louisa thought back to her childhood again. The riddles seemed easier to remember, but only in high definition pieces; very few did she remember completely. One stood out amongst the rest, though, coupled with a lecture from her mother she'd taken to heart.

"I weaken all men for hours each day and show you strange visions while you are away. I take you by night, by day take you back; none suffer to have me, but do from my lack," she parroted from a memory. She glanced briefly towards the sound of thunder but chose to ignore it for now. "What am I?"

Last edited:
"Easy." The assassin said. "Sleep. Unfortunately, Agent, I'm not going to let you ask any more questions. It was a good try." He prepared his knife again and lunged at her, going in for the kill.

But, he never reached Louisa. Something slammed against him, throwing him away from her. Something very large and foul smelling. Louisa's old friend - the chimera. It ignored Louisa who stood in her place, focusing its attention on the assassin. He was on the ground, but he regained his footing again, taking a defensive stance as the creature growled at him. Its lion head was partially rotten, but it did not seem to lack any speed or ferocity.

"You should not have been able to get out of there." The assassin said to the creature, his voice a hiss.

The chimera rushed at him, its front claws sharp as daggers. He evaded its strikes with great precision, rolling on the ground or deflecting the bowls with the sole weapon he now held. It was then that the chimera's snake tail struck out. Lightning fast it went for the bite, but only managed to trip the assassin up. However, that brief moment of inattention was enough for the beast. It was on him in a second, its sharp claws tearing into his flesh.

Louisa's bow and quiver were still on the ground close to her feet.

- Help the assassin.
- Run away and leave him for the chimera.

At the chimera's entrance Louisa scrambled backwards. The sight of rotting flesh atop its head made her stomach flip uncomfortably, but only when it leapt on the assassin and dug its claws into his skin did she gag.

The sound was awful, reverberating through her bones. She could feel it, imagine it happening to her. She needed to get away.

Snatching up her bow, Louisa thought to run. The assassin could handle himself, surely, but if not she wouldn't have to worry about getting murdered in her sleep.

But the guilt. Always the bloody guilt. Groaning, Louisa aimed an arrow at the chimera's face and released.

The chimera did not pay any attention to Louisa and the arrow struck true. One of the goat heads was pierced and the creature let out a shriek. The assassin managed a stab at its leg as it recoiled and he was free of the beast. The chimera leaped backwards, turning toward Louisa with an ear piercing howl. But, it was now staggering.

The assassin rose from the ground, one hand on his abdomen as the blood dripped through his fingers. The chimera made a reluctant step toward Louisa, and the assassin saw this as a chance to run to at the beast, despite his injuries. He jumped up and onto its back, a hand with his knife sliding over the beasts enormous neck. It twirled in circles, trying to get him off, its snake tail snapping at him, but it was unable to reach him.

Finally, it reared on its hind legs, exposing its belly to Louisa. Now would be a good chance to let loose an arrow toward its heart.

- Shoot.
- Don't shoot.

When the arrow struck Louisa felt her skin crackle with electricity; the sound of piercing flesh would never not faze her, it seemed, though she really wished it would. Her grip on her bow slackened and all she wanted to do was run, hide. Curl up under covers in a bed she hadn't seen in a year with a hot cup of tea she hadn't tasted in longer.

The beast reared up on it's hind legs, exposing its stomach, but Louisa didn't know if she could deliver the finishing blow. All of the kills she'd done in her lifetime had been over in one hit; she hadn't been worn down so badly prior to delivering a final blow.

But she needed to try.

With shaking hands and a cloudy mind, Louisa drew another arrow and let fly a weak shot.

The arrow did strike the creature, but it went to the right of its heart, not killing it. However, the assassin still held onto it, and as the snake head snapped at him, he sliced it off with a precise blow. The chimera jumped up again with last of its strength and he was flung in the air and landed in an awkward roll on the ground, straightening to a crouch. His wounds were visibly bleeding now.

The chimera turned toward him. It made a couple of steps. And then it fell. Its one remaining head let out a dying howl with its last breath.

The assassin wobbled and then fell on the ground. He was not moving.

- Help him.
- Don't help him.

Louisa doubled over and cupped her ears, which felt numb from the rapid pounding of blood. When the beast finally collapsed the vibrations against the ground told her it was safe. The fight was over. After taking several moments to collect herself she looked up.

The chimera was certainly dead. Or, at least, out of commission for a while. The assassin, however...

Just as the guilt had spurred her to action before, it moved her to his aid again. Louisa hurried to his side, crouching low. When he did not move she bit her lip.

"...Assassin?" she turned him over to inspect his wound.

Last edited:
He had three gaping scratch marks on his abdomen made by the chimera's claws. They would need to be cleaned and then bandaged so they do not get infected. Louisa could use some water from her flask and made bandages out of her clothes for first aid. Or she could light a fire and cauterize his wounds as well, which would be painful, but it would also stave off infection.

When she moved the assassin he opened his eyes, though his whole face twisted in grimace of pain.

"Well, you win, Agent." He said, forcing a smile.

- Bandage him.
- Cauterize his wounds.
- Leave him.

"Oh no..." Louisa bit her lip at the claw marks decorating his skin red. Cauterization would be the best option in this case, but she didn't trust herself to do it right - much less be able to stomach such a thing in the first place.

Instead, she retrieved her water flask and carefully used its contents to wash away the blood. Using her dagger, Louisa tore the sleeves off of her tunic and pressed the fabric to the wound. It quickly soaked through red once more. She cursed quietly.

"Nobody won," she said, using one hand to keep the fabric in place as she tore the bottom hem of her shirt, "our duel was interrupted. I still have more riddles for you." Louisa wrapped the long piece around his torso, pinning the sleeve pieces tight as a makeshift gauze, and tied it off.

Leaning back a bit to inspect her work, Louisa still wasn't satisfied. Infection was likely without cauterization but there was no helping that now.

As Louisa set to bandaging his wounds, the assassin rose into a sitting position. He watched her intently for a moment and it seemed like he was not comprehending the whole situation. When he realized what she was about to do, he stripped off his cloak and tunic, uncovering his wounds. His skin was very pale and the blood was dripping down his abdomen. His hair was raven and short and his eyes a peculiar red colour.

He stood unmoving as she cleaned his wounds, and as she went to bandage him all around, he leaned against her body. His bare skin was very cold.

"Agent, why are you doing this?" He finally spoke, through teeth gritted in pain. "I was about to finish you off before the beast was on me. Why are you helping me?"

- Answer.

At the feel of his skin Louisa nearly started - had he lost too much blood already? - but she'd continued her work in trying to stop the bleeding, hardly pausing during her ministrations. After assessing the bandage job she'd done, Louisa's eyes flicked upwards to his face. The first thing she noticed was his eye color: red. How curious, Louisa thought. She'd never seen anything like it before.

Realizing she'd been blatantly staring, Louisa looked back to his torso. Pretended to inspect the bandage from afar. "Call it empathy," she explained, "or stupidity. You are my contracted killer, after all." Wearing at her bottom lip again, Louisa gave a shrug. "But I couldn't just leave you like that - not when you gave me a chance to live instead of offing me from the shadows."

"Consider that contract... postponed." The assassin said as he stood up. He put on his ripped shirt and his dark cloak, turning to Louisa again. "I owe you my life, Agent. I don't like it, but I will repay you. Look me up among the carnival tents if you ever meet someone that you think should disappear."

In a blur he was gone, like he was not just recovering from an almost fatal wound. He picked up his discarded weapons and in a couple of quick movements climbed a tree, disappearing among the leaves.

- Try to stop him.
- Let him go and go back to the inn.

"Wait, what are you-" Louisa hurried to her feet once she realized he intended to go off on his own - about the time he mentioned the carnival tents. By time she'd stood and reached out to grab him, the assassin had already vanished. "You didn't- I don't even know your name!" She yelled after him, adding a murmur of "idiot" under her breath. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't worried, especially with how cold he'd felt, but there wasn't much she could do. Louisa knew how to climb, but it was obvious the assassin was far more practiced than she if his agility was any indication.

So she let him go.

With a horribly torn shirt - really, all that was left were two straps on either shoulder of different widths and just enough fabric to reach her belly button - Louisa gathered her things. The cloak from the crypt had yet been washed but she draped it over her shoulders anyway, hoping to conceal her midriff and bare arms. Modesty above all. As she turned back to Myrr, Louisa tried not to think too hard about the assassin's unique eye color.

How curious, indeed.

Louisa returned to the Three Legged Mare, after the assassin disappeared from sight. Her room was waiting for her and she was too tired to do anything else for the night. Thankfully, she had brought a spare change of clothes, so she had an intact shirt to change to in the morning.

--

When she woke up and got dressed, she was met with a curious sight. On the floor next to the doors was a tan envelope with an awfully familiar seal of blue wax. Once she broke it open, there was no doubt who was the sender.

Dearest friend,

How are you getting on? No, do not tell me yet, I'm afraid that the raven post is not as reliable as it once was. There are thieves and thugs everywhere and I would not want news of our circumstance to reach anyone that should not know about it. I hope that you have managed to find the contact and that you are getting along well, otherwise this letter will not reach you. I sincerely hope that it does.

The Palace is not the same without you. No one else provides much of a challenge when it comes to chess. I'm afraid that I have realized all too late that you are my only employer with a little brains. Please do wrap up your work quickly and come visit me.

Missing you terribly.

Yours,
Alden

He was always theatrical in his letters. He had been Louisa's employer, mentor and friend for a long time now. He might have been difficult to deal with at times, but he was mostly just an over-dramatic middle-aged man whom you really could not say no to. Louisa's relationship with him had always been very good.

- Write to Alden.
- Leave writing for later.

Alden's letter brought a smile to her lips. She snorted quietly in amusement, reading the bit about chess and brains. A wave of stress rolled off her shoulders, momentarily forgotten. Taking a quill and dipping the point into an inkwell, Louisa found herself a seat and began to write.

Alden,

I will spare you and any unwelcome nosy-bodies the details but do know that I, myself, am well. The city of Myrr is both exactly what I'd expected and yet so much more. Its inhabitants are interesting, to say the least, the contact included. Upon my return, remind me to ask you how you found such an individual. In exchange, I will share tales of my adventures with you. There is much to discuss!

As for chess, I sorely miss our little tournaments. Hopefully my skills won't be subject to too much rust while away. We will have to find out when I see you next.

Chin up, friend - I will see you soon.

Sincerely,
Your dearest friend

Satisfied with her letter, Louisa slipped the note into the envelope Alden's came in and carefully resealed it with the bedside candle. The seal itself ended up a little smudged but she didn't have a seal of her own, working undercover. Once the wax cooled some, she slipped the envelope in between the pages of Lethos' journal to give to Seoc later. After that, Louisa discarded her torn blouse and replaced it with a fresh one.

"What a good way to start the day," she hummed, feeling lighter than air.

Louisa had learned all there was to learn in the Lower Myrr. Her next task was following the trail of Lethos into the Upper city. However, she did not know where to even begin her search. Several people she had met had told her that getting into the rich part of the city was impossible for a stranger.

She had a couple of people to turn to, though. Seoc terminated the contract with her and he was not likely to be found inside his home during the day. But, if she wanted to, she could slip the letter to Alden under his front doors. He must have been the one to deliver it to her, either way. She could also pay two silver pieces for the services of raven post, very close to the Three Legged Mare. In terms of getting into the city, she had one person that was bound to know his way in - the assassin. He did owe her a favour too. Logan had spoken of getting up there, as well, and he was ready to team up with her to do so - perhaps he found a way of going in.

- Send you letter and go to Logan.
- Send your letter and go to the carnival.

In favor of saving two silver, for she was getting fairly low on coins, Louisa opted to slide the letter under Seoc's door. She would liked it if he send it but if he didn't, Louisa only hoped Alden wouldn't worry too much at her lack of contact.

After dropping off the letter, Louisa had a choice: she could speak to Logan about Upper Myrr or she could hunt down the assassin instead. Both were simultaneously exciting and foreboding, each for their own reasons. Not wanting to dwell on that, though, Louisa focused on the pros.

Like telling Logan about the assassin with peculiar red eyes! Had he expected her to die, she wondered? Hopefully not, though Louisa hadn’t expected much more of herself, truth be told. Sharing the story of her survival and discussing the entering of Upper Myrr was sure to be interesting.

Besides, who else could she talk to about last night's experience?

And so, she set off to visit the mage.

"Why do you keep visiting me?" Logan greeted her on the doors to his warehouse. It was a greeting she was used to by now. For once, though, he was not holding a book, and his warehouse was not a mess at all. In fact it was so clean that it looked terribly suspicious. On second look, all of his books were gone. "What do you want?" Logan asked, intentionally standing on the doors to block her view of the inside.

- Tell him about the assassin.
- Tell him about the trip Upper Myrr.

Blatantly ignoring his first question, Louisa smiled and gestured to herself. "I survived! Just barely, but I am alive. Did I not tell you I was meeting with my assassin last night?" She paused, thinking, but certain that she had. "I saved him, actually, so he owes me-... Wait," it seemed she finally noticed his blocking her view of he mission books inside. "Are you leaving?" Her eyebrows raised. "Did you find a way into Upper Myrr?"

Logan did not look at all amused with her near death experience. He only moved slightly to adjust on the doorway, not letting her see inside.

"Yes, I'm leaving." He let out a pained sigh then. "You are not going to leave me alone until I tell you, aren't you? Ugh, well, I'm going to scale the cliffs and enter the Upper city that way tonight." That seemed like an absolutely insane idea that perhaps only an extremely strong and athletic person would be able to pull of. Or an extremely desperate one.

- Ask to go with him.
- Tell him you'll find a better way.
- Let him try that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back