Damsels and Dragons

>Cast the stupid  deus ex machina spell! (YEAH, SCIENCE!)

Then again, communicating in pantomine would be fairly entertaining...

>Cast the stupid spell.

Gritting your teeth at the absurdity of the situation, you decide to attempt the nonsense known as "magic." Holding up a hand to the woman to indicate she should wait, you go back in the car and rummage around for the book that you picked up off the man in the robes. When you come back out of the car with the grimoire, the woman gives no sign that she knows what it is or what you're about to do.

In the interest of safety, you make several shoo-ing motions with your hand, indicating that she should back up. You know little to nothing about magic other than it exists, but you'll be damned if you aren't going to be careful casting the thing. The woman is confused by the gestures, but seems to put two and two together when she takes a closer look at the grimoire and complies with your gestured request.

Now comes the part that makes the least sense, and is what you hate most about this whole "magic" thing. You can't read the book, but you know what page the spell is on. You can't understand the words on the page, but somehow you just know what the words say. You feel as though the spell itself has actually been branded in to your brain, and you're just using the book as a mnemonic device to recall it.

Fucking magic, how does it work?

Questions for later.

For now you hold up the grimoire and begin to follow the instructions printed within. The book calls for you to "fold" your energies in to the shape of the mystic pattern that will bind the energies in to the spell you want, and then speak your desires aloud. Knowing that things like "chi", "chakras" and "psychic powers" is pseudo science, you instinctively rail against this advice, but eventually force your way through it, visualizing an invisible, intangible force being folded in to the complex spell-algorithm that the grimoire details.

And then... something happens.

Nothing visible, but you feel a sensation in your chest and in your mind that you have never felt before. Like the buzz of electricity just before you get a static shock, or the cool sensation of holding ice while wearing gloves, you feel a physical sensation just on the edge of touch. There is a sense of greater comprehension that fills you, as though you gained some clarity on a puzzle or insight in to problem that had been vexing you for a time. With that sensation filling you, you turn the energies of the magic towards your purpose, declaring your intentions to the universe: "We shall be understood."

The words leave your mouth with a strange, echoing quality, entirely different from normal speech in a way that no human voice could replicate. You almost throw the grimoire away again at the sheer weirdness of it all, but manage to restrain yourself. Feeling the effects of the magic take hold, you look up from the book and back over to the woman.

She's standing where she was, hand resting casually on her sword, looking at you with curiosity. When you finished casting the spell, she tilts her head in to the side in confusion. "Did you cast a spell? I didn't realize you were a magician." Only to stop herself from speaking further thanks to the language barrier.

That no longer exists.

"Holy shit, it worked." You say, disbelieving, looking at the book and then back at her. Never mind, you take back (almost) everything bad you thought about magic. Praise be to the weird voodoo powers you now have!

The woman's attitude perks up upon hearing your words, a surprised smile coming to her face. "So you are a magician!" She exclaims, clapping her hands in delight. "Wonderful! I was very concerned about how we might talk to each other, but you seem to have taken care of that. Well done!"

You've obviously impressed her with your bungling, half-blind attempts at casting a spell.

Realizing that you now have to actually engage in dialog with someone who's motives and agenda are completely unknown to you in a foreign land who's laws and customs are likewise alien to you, you make a snap decision to:

>Disclose your true skill with magic

>Keep your actual talents to yourself.

AND

>Disclose your true origins.

>Keep your true origins to yourself.

At least until you have a better understanding of this world and it's customs. Then you can make a more informed decision later.

Last edited by a moderator:
> Disclose your true skills with magic so she doesn't ask for any weird favors that involve magical bullshittery

> Disclose your true origins so you can get important info. Not like she's gonna believe you're from around here with this damn car anyway!

Bare everything to cute girl, you dweeb. Trust goes a long way.

At best, she wont believe you, and laugh it off. And on a later date, on a date, you can tell her 'I told you so, you dweeb'.

So what's the worst that can happen?

> Disclose your true skills with magic so she doesn't ask for any weird favors that involve magical bullshittery

This, so much. A lot of plots would have avoided if the main characters just had some common sense and did not make absurd lies that would bite them in the proverbial arse later.

I'm... not as completely certain about the latter, though, actually. While I'm going to go with ">Disclose your true origins.", for reasons the rest of the gang stated and whatnotthere's some room for thought. While this option seems to be the best to me, there's still the slight possibility of the lady thinking that the Main Character is the beffudled pawn of an eldritch abomination from a separate dimension, or that he's the protagonist of a stupid profecy speaking of a newcomer from another world and drag him along to go be pulverized by ancient demons, or something weird and completely ridiculous like that.

Am I the only person who is going to vote. "Tell no one anything?"   Can't let our heads be turned by a pretty girl!

> Tell the bare minimum to get the information we need but don't lie.   "I'm a stranger here.  Where am I?  Who's in charge?  What's was that battle all about?"  

Of course our head is turned by a pretty girl. I'M PLAYING THIS STRAIGHT. (Get it, get it?! Oh man, I entertain myself too easily.)

The crime here is not having our head turned by a pretty girl. With armor. What the hell is wrong with you.

The crime here is not having our head turned by a pretty girl. With armor. What the hell is wrong with you.

Maybe I don't like pretty girls.   :P

Fine.  I change my vote to tell her the truth about our origins, but keep quiet about not knowing shit about magic.   Got to play it smooth in front of the lady.

Maybe I don't like pretty girls.   :P

UMKXoFm.gif

No offense, though. It just felt fitting. If you are gay, then I'm a psychic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back