• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

D&D 5th Ed: Heroes of Talltree

"Um," The lizardman gives a brief pause in hesitation. "You, may call me Razel for now." He scratched at the side of his face. "Should some of us just directly go up toward the tavern then to ask for a map while the others stay around in the shadows for the stake out?"

"Well, I'm outfitted for either but I believe I stand out a tiny bit (he gestures to his black armor) so I will be a part of the group that stays in the shadows for the stake out." He glanced at the other members of the group and realized that they all stood out in a village such as this one, but in his opinion, Razel and himself stood out like a beacon.

Smiling at the halfling "Thank you."

Standing up Sai turns to the lizard, and the thief "Razel, Jek I am glad to meet you." he holds out his thin bony hand. "Perhaps we should do something productive while we wait." Looking around he gestures to village. "We should become at least somewhat acquainted with this pleasant settlement."

"Well." Halya bristled, irritably at the to-ing and fro-ing at work. "I'm off to the tavern. I'll sit outside I guess. And I'm going to drink. And I see something weird, I see something weird." She shrugs, shouldering her glaive and turning to walk south, towards the tavern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Razel let out a bit of a chuckle and tried giving Jek's hand a brief shake. "Something productive? Well, I very much plan to be near the tavern at least seeing as it is doubted fitting inside would be a comfortable situation, for any of us really." He sighs. "with any luck and the right chords, perhaps some of the information we seek will be easily delivered to us. Hm... it may be perhaps a good choice to find copper wiring of some sort soon. If any of you manage that it will bring some more use down the road, and not for being an odd string upon my instrument. Heh, anywho guess we shall be off then. Unless there is something else that needs mentioning or deciding upon?"

The small group followed the road South for a short while, passing a few of the grander houses that sat closer to the center of the village, they saw a few gardeners at work in the expansive vegetable and flower gardens surrounding these estates but they seemed to ignore them and focus on their work. They arrived at a long rectangular building after a few minutes, the sign outside proudly announced it as the "Soggy Foot Tavern" underneath a painting of a wet Halfling's foot. The tavern was distinctly Human in appearance, only shorter, standing about eight feet high at the top of it's thatched roof, slanting downwards over the wooden walls. The door was painted brown instead of the green most Halflings preferred, and was rectangular instead of round, standing a little under five feet tall. A small sign next to the door read: Tul Brierbranch, Owner and Proprietor.

Looking closely at the height differences between themselves and the door, the gaggle of adventurers were forced to accept that even the shortest of them were not going to comfortably fit inside.

Razel rather prepared himself and his lute upon seeing the tavern directly ahead. It was short or smaller as to be expected as such was explained and somewhat already assumed other. He felt somewhat awkward and unsure of how to approach directly into the plan being formed in his head but was walking directly toward it despite. Playing a little tune or ditty upon the instrument he held as he approached. Planning to rather stand outside and gauge himself and anyone that would possibly follow after him in the attempt to get closer or even inside the tavern. He was a bit hesitant on trying to slip into the building itself rather waiting for the others to get into place or perhaps add some more input as he played.

Being the shortest one present at just one inch over five feet, the robed lass decided to head in first, and apologized as she made her way to the bar. "Ah... hello, bartender. I am with a group of adventurers hired to deal with some ruffians... well... before we head out... have you seen any unusual characters lately, or heard patrons talk of the same? Well, aside from us, of course, which I grant is an unusual lot even by big city standards.." She gave a friendly chuckle at that. "Still... just trying to find out more about these bandits before we head out..."

Halya considered stooping over and shouting an order of ale through the opened door - going so far as to lean over as Serice stepped in, before shaking her head and changing her mind. With any luck, they would be leaving... Right about now.

The inside of the mostly empty tavern looked like pretty much any other tavern, just smaller. Smaller dining tables with smaller bench seats, smaller fireplace off to one side, smaller stage in the corner. Smaller bar, smaller stools and smaller barkeep for that matter. The barkeep was, unsurprisingly, a Halfling. What was surprising however, was his age. While the Constable looked merely old, this one looked positively ancient, with a dark grey beard that reached down to his shins, liver spots adorned his bald head and his entire form seemed to be, encrusted, for lack of a better word. He moved slowly, gradually turning and looking up at the Woman who dared disturb him, glaring at her with possibly the most scornful stare in the history of grumpy old men.

"No." He intoned, in a voice that seemed to physically suck the pleasantness from the room. "Just you and my regulars."

Sai remained outside peaking his head in the door. Observing the occupants of the bar. Glancing from side to side he scrutinizes every inch.

"Thank you kindly, sir. We'll head off soon, and hopefully when we are done your business will pick up." She nodded, and headed out to tell the others. "The tavernkeep hasn't seen anyone but his regulars lately, so the bandits probably aren't around here, unless they're halflings themselves. I suppose we'll just have to keep our eyes open and be ready to improvise."

"I still think they'll attack us, or be close enough to the road that we can find them without too much effort." Halya shrugs nonchalantly as Serise finishes her explanation. "Now are we planning on loitering here until we're the suspects?" She pushed herself away from where she'd been leaning against the tavern wall. "I'd like to get out on the road before nightfall, Mother willing."

Jek looked up from the seemingly pointless task he was doing, which was sharpening a piece of wood he found on the floor with hopes to possibly make a spear or extra arrow "Perhaps we will, perhaps we won't, I say we set out at night." Jek was excited to leave but also wanted to have the cover of night.

"If it is the cover of darkness you desire, you do not set out at night, but before it, so that you arrive when night comes. I agree with our muscular friend, that we should leave sooner than later."

Razel simply stood around for a while. Feeling somewhat unsure of how to tackle things. It seems going into the tavern and simply looking among the crowd or staking out for someone suspicious was being quickly thrown out the window. Simply he stood by for a time.

Having effectively outvoted Jek, Halya and Serice led the group back to where they had come from, departing Talltree along the West Road. The area around them could best be described as "wooded grasslands", with oak and beech trees loosely spread across the grass and shrub covered ground on either side of the road.

They walked for some time, perhaps an hour or so, before they came across a wagon on the side of the road. From where they stood the wagon appeared to be horseless and driverless.

Whilst she didn't make a point of it, Halya naturally migrated to the front of the group, walking tall, weapon resting against her shoulder and bobbing around in the view of whosoever might follow behind. She was alert, albeit not aggressively so, and when the wagon appeared in her view, she didn't change her pace, simply redirecting her course to the edge of the road, until she was stood at its side, using the butt of her glaive to nudge the contents this way and that, her eyes moving between the wagon and the treeline beyond.

"This could be an ambush. Stay alert." She announced, as their inevitable investigation began.

"Yes..." the robed lady drew her blade, which refused to gleam in the light, and sharpened her senses as she silently approached. She would not be caught off guard, or so she believed.

Jek remained silent and drew his rapier, preparing for an attack on the group. If these bandits had any connection to the men who murdered his crew, Jek would personally gut the leader.

Razel seeing as the wagon already appeared to be robbed and the driver gone decided to look elsewhere. Hoping to find a witness of another sort beyond a person. Looking more around the wooded area for other signs of life, such as animal instead of the robbers. It was not until the mentioning of it being an ambush that Razel prepared his rapier or loosely held it rather.

He was more prepared to strum a note or two than stab through someone’s side or chest. Oddly it would likely be more effective to do so he thought, even if ambushed. It briefly made him let out a quiet chuckle. Before continuing to search around.

[dice]22136[/dice]

[dice]22102[/dice]

(I admit I rolled back then, when I asked you if we'd need one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back