D&D 5/NEXT - First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melissia said:
I've always given out xp for completion of storyline events and completion of encounters (including non-combat encounters), myself.
Granted, I don't htink I'm a good DM, but I at least favored non-combat XP over combat-xp only...
As I think many have , I just think it is sad D&D has not officially embraced that.

I got a chance to flip through the Monster Manual.

Oh my god. I have never looked through such a beautiful book before. The Black Pudding artwork was probably my favourite.

also, the book has lots of good information on monsters in ways other then just stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pineapple said:
I got a chance to flip through the Monster Manual.
Oh my god. I have never looked through such a beautiful book before. The Black Pudding artwork was probably my favourite.

also, the book has lots of good information on monsters in ways other then just stats.
I got mine and I love what they have done with it. Creatures like Solars and Dragons are dangerous once again, with their Legendary abilities, as they should be. I have to admit that despite all my doubts, 5e impresses me. It is not and probably never will be my favorite system overall, but they streamlined the heck out of D&D without leaving me with the feeling that they dumbed it down. I can't wait to see the DMG.

YEah, I get the idea that a ton of people are waiting for the DMG before they really start playing.

Yeah I know you can play without it and I know they were trying to break up the retail cost of $150 for all three. Seems to me that if they were going to stagger the release the MM would have been last and the DMG second. Bu hey it's only a little over a month out. I am interested to see how magic items work with this new system.

Quick post (because this is "my area"):

1) Everything is simplified and streamlined;

2) Writing is [relatively] clear and concise;

3) Complete break with 4E (sorry, if I wanted a video game I'd go play a video game);

4) Advantage and proficiency are amazing mechanics that should have been popularized sooner;

5) Backgrounds and inspiration can force you to roleplay and visualize your char, depending on the DM;

6) Bold step away from the tactical grid.

That being said, here are the cons:

1) Everything seems a bit TOO streamlined. Monsters seem kind of empty;

2) Editing issues: I much preferred knowing which classes can cast which spells by looking at the spell itself;

3) Parts seem to be "missing" or undeveloped: rules for underwater and mounted combat are a paragraph a piece, monster manual missing monster creation rules (hoping DMG will solve);

4) That art is UGLY.

Now you can resume your conversation.

I actually like some of the art. But then I'm a tasteless slob. And I am sure, as you say everything in the cons under 3, will be solved by the DMG. I suppose to me monsters have mostly seemed a bunch of stats in any edition of D&D. Especially considering at this point all we are getting are the same old standard monsters that have been around for 30+ years.

That said it's not perfect--no edition of D&D--or any game for that matter is, IMHO. Heck I have been house ruling the heck outta D&D since I began GMing around 1980. But after 4e I was convinced I was done with D&D after 4e and I though their stated mission of taking elements from every edition of D&D was doomed to be a jumbled mess that was going to be nothing short of awful. ( Btw--I tried 4e and while I know some love it--it was so not for me). I am happy to say that while 5e still has its flaws I personally am very impressed with what they did get "right", as well as how much they got "right". That is my opinion of course--"right" being about as subjective a word as you can get. I have not been this excited about playing a D&D game since 3e (Well unless you count Pathfinder, since it is technically D&D) so I have to give big kudos to the devs for that.

Seems better than any other edition so far, but I'll have to play it to really confirm that. I hope a supplement does something like 4th's swordmage. God that class was fucking fun, not sure how good it was granted, but it was fun.

hellrazoromega said:
I actually like some of the art. But then I'm a tasteless slob. And I am sure, as you say everything in the cons under 3, will be solved by the DMG. I suppose to me monsters have mostly seemed a bunch of stats in any edition of D&D. Especially considering at this point all we are getting are the same old standard monsters that have been around for 30+ years.
That said it's not perfect--no edition of D&D--or any game for that matter is, IMHO. Heck I have been house ruling the heck outta D&D since I began GMing around 1980. But after 4e I was convinced I was done with D&D after 4e and I though their stated mission of taking elements from every edition of D&D was doomed to be a jumbled mess that was going to be nothing short of awful. ( Btw--I tried 4e and while I know some love it--it was so not for me). I am happy to say that while 5e still has its flaws I personally am very impressed with what they did get "right", as well as how much they got "right". That is my opinion of course--"right" being about as subjective a word as you can get. I have not been this excited about playing a D&D game since 3e (Well unless you count Pathfinder, since it is technically D&D) so I have to give big kudos to the devs for that.
Yeah, everything can be solved by your group's creativity, no game can be 100% perfect. And don't drop the banana, it's full of potassium.

I'm disappointed in the Fighter's lack of Swordsage as a default class variant and the pretty uninspired arcane traditions the Wizard gets, but beyond that I find myself in agreement with Atmo said.

Any news on a PDF of it? I'm curious about the whole 5E thing seeing as I completely missed that 4E even existed and my normally anti-class/level based games (I'm typically a WoD, SLA, FS type).

I've heard the art is god-awful though - a friend who loves his PG and MM has said he'll be getting the PDFs "if" they're released so he can copy/paste the text and just use that without the art as he finds it so ugly and distracting. Is it really that bad?

[QUOTE="El Phantasmo]Any news on a PDF of it? I'm curious about the whole 5E thing seeing as I completely missed that 4E even existed and my normally anti-class/level based games (I'm typically a WoD, SLA, FS type).
I've heard the art is god-awful though - a friend who loves his PG and MM has said he'll be getting the PDFs "if" they're released so he can copy/paste the text and just use that without the art as he finds it so ugly and distracting. Is it really that bad?

[/QUOTE]
Some seem to think it is. I guess when you compare it to many games today that may be true but I grew up on games from the 70's and 80's that had art that by today's standards was beyond awful. Of course we did not see it that way at the time because it was what we had. I don't think the 5e art is amazing--though there are a few pics I really do like--but I have seen far worse.

found this on the D&D sub-reddit. It's pretty damn useful for first timers.

http://i.imgur.com/4SSAhrp.jpg

4SSAhrp.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2l45oy/i_made_a_very_basic_rulesoverview_for_my_group_of/

I run hoard of the dragon queens first part on table top a few days ago. I let my players roll their own stats and they rolled some of the very best numbers I have ever seen. My players group consist of a dwarf cleric, a human ranger and a human monk (a gnome wizard joined for second half of first chapter) Module was written for a part of 4-6 players but since they got good dices I didn't think much on about it and let them run with 3 players with almost full missions. It came to being a TPK about four times where I omitted their enemies dices a little bit but let them feel the blow. After gnome joined it became a little easier for them however I am not sure if they could survive the exchange in first season even with wizard being there. What they lacked is a true tank since rnger decided to go an archer path and monk was more of a damage dealer and cleric being run out of 1st level spells only after first encounter it became evident that it will be very hard for them until 3rd level where they get specializations.. This was first run of party ofcourse and by getting used to system players may become more adept about certain situations but it seems 5E is more harsh (or at least the module was) than what I am used to in 3.x or 4th edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back