• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

"Current Saved Drafts" button w/ time left until draft is deleted

Genon

Two Thousand Club
@The Staff

I sometimes find my drafts deleted by the site after sitting for too long. This is especially annoying (and especially common) with Detailed RPs, since they usually require multiple paragraphs (and I often work on them for a day, on and off), and most importantly character sheets. Granted, one could always use a word processor like Microsoft Word, Google Docs, or OpenOffice and then paste it in, but having to use a middleman seems like faulty design. Furthermore, there is a possibility that one can forget about their draft for a while, or not realize how much time it's been sitting in the forum box for, and can find their draft gone when they come back. I know there are workarounds and solutions, but this is a safety feature in case the user forgets or they don't have a middleman program available for whatever reason.

I think a good way to solve this would be to attach a timer to reply box that shows exactly how much time the user has before their draft is deleted. Another good addition I suggest is a third alert type, represented by a paper icon, that when clicked on will open up a drop-down of all the user's drafts, and allows one to easily jump to the thread that contains the draft. Next to each draft in the drop-down should be a easily visible (like, say, fire-engine red or crimson) timer, indicating the amount of time the user has left.

What do you think of this suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Drafts are saved by your computer to your computers cookies and cache. We have no control over it whatsoever.

Mordecai said:
Drafts are saved by your computer to your computers cookies and cache. We have no control over it whatsoever.
Wait really? Then why do they get deleted automatically if they're tied to the computer's local storage?

In other words: it is not a site function. Your computer periodically clears these things out and we have no control over that here on RpNation. In the end, we do not suggest you use drafts as a way of 'saving.' We suggest you use a program like word, or a free comparable program, and save things to your computer more reliably.

Yea. :P I still have drafts from months and months ago, when some users only like have drafts save for a few minutes.

If you're writing a post you know is going to be a long one, that you're going to be taking breaks from writing, you can use the Private Workshop section to type it up and save it there in between working on it. Only you and the Staff can see it, so there won't be any spoilers for those in your RP, and when you're done you can copy/paste it into your RP.

Kaerri said:
If you're writing a post you know is going to be a long one, that you're going to be taking breaks from writing, you can use the Private Workshop section to type it up and save it there in between working on it. Only you and the Staff can see it, so there won't be any spoilers for those in your RP, and when you're done you can copy/paste it into your RP.
Huh, didn't know that was a thing. Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back