• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Crossed Wires

"Firstly. It is my favorite and could be a good first look at your ability to strategize. So," He gestured to the other chair, "Sit down. How was your day here? Enjoyable?"

"Ah... yes it was enjoyable," Faye replied with a small smile. "I am very fortunate to be able to attend this school."

Her eyes scanned the board, drawing up the rules of chess from the recesses of her memory. Although she had never played the game before, it was considered a classic, and Faye had read up on it after coming across it in a book. She'd once tried to get her brother to play, but he'd said that he didn't like to spend his time playing games. Perhaps a little more insisting would get him to relent though. It often did.

"If I'm remembering correctly, the white pieces begin first?" Faye asked, somewhat uncertain despite her confidence in her memory. "I looked up the rules some time ago, but I was never able to find anyone to play with."

"Ah yes they do. Do you remember all the rules? I have crads if you prefer," He said, holding up a deck. He was now unsure if this girl had any enhancements. He himself could play entire games with himself in his head in minutes- though maybe she was one of those who didn't utilize hers to the fullest. Shame.

"I remember them," Faye said, nodding as she continued to focus her attention on the board. "Each piece has a distinct style of movement, and understanding that is integral to creating a proper strategy. At least, that's what I've read about the game. I've wanted to try this game for awhile, though I'm sure that you're already an expert at it.."

"True, so your goal isn't to win- unless you really want to impress me," Macrov said with a cocky smirk and a laugh, "We'll just see how you can do."

Faye chuckled a little, not particularly confident in her ability to win, but intending more to learn as much as she could about the game by playing it herself. She was interested to see how an expert at the game played it.

"Alright, then let's get started," she said cheerfully. "I'll do my best and we'll see how far that gets me."

With that, she picked up one of her white pawns and moved it two spaces forwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
"So, what's your background?" Macrov said as tehy played, "Where are you from in this wide world we live in?" He cracked his neck, leaning back in his seat.

"I... well my adoptive father lives in the south end of the city,"  Faye admitted, scanning the board before making her next move. "I've lived there with him and my older brother for about 5 years I think. The neighborhood around the school is so vastly different, and yet we aren't so far away from where I'm from."

"Really? An older brother?" Macrov said moving a piece, "How interesting- he goes to school with you/ than I suppose? Would I know him for any reason?" He wanted to find out exactly who Faye was and where her loyalties lay. Trust was such a fickle thing, the unspoken standards thrust on the elite of the school only enforced its fragility. Regardless of the reason, the more he knew the better.

"Seth doesn't do school," Faye said with a slight smirk. She made her next move, then looked back up at Marcov. "You're not likely to have seen him around, since he very intentionally runs in different circles then you're likely to be familiar with. I guess that makes him a bit of a rebel, but he never really has bad intentions. You really have to meet him in person to get what he's about. He's kinda difficult to describe."

Macrov raised an eyebrow. He sort of knew the boy she mentioned- not by name, but rather by reputation. "Interesting. And before you lived with them? What did you do then?" He asked, half-curiously as he continued the game.

Faye hesitated for a moment before making her next move, not because she was uncertain, but rather because the question Marcov had asked was a difficult one to answer.

"I... well I don't really know," Faye admitted.

Faye shook her head in response.

"I don't have memories before that time," Faye replied. "I might have been with them for more than five years, or I might not have been. My father says that I was in an accident, but he won't tell me anything more than that because he says that I might create 'false memories' or something, and I need to remember things organically. Assuming I ever remember... but that's not really important. Long story short, I can't really answer your question since I have retrograde amnesia and don't remember anything that happened prior to five years ago. At this point, it's a non-issue to me, but my brother did say that some people might give me a hard time about it. I hope you won't be one of them though, since I like talking to you."

Macrov was a bit shocked- his intial desire was to be skeptical of such outlandish claims but he gave her the benefit of the doubt, "I suppose I'll beleive you for now. No reason not to and it has happened to people before you." He made his move, "And no reason to give you a hard time about it, not like its something you can control after all." He said with a smile.

Faye sighed a little before making her own move.

"I know amnesia is pretty rare in this day and age, but my father is trying to help me recover from it," Faye said, hesitating a moment before continuing. "Regardless, I'm not  looking for sympathy. I'm the person I am, and childhood memories probably aren't all that significant anyways. When I make a place for myself in the future, what will it matter what the past held?"

"A very interesting way to look at things," He said, moving his piece thelast move, "Do you concede the match?" He said- he was marginally impressed. She was good, not great, but pretty good.

Faye scanned the board thoughtfully, then smiled and leaned back in her seat.

"Of course," Faye replied. "Honestly I should have done so earlier. In retrospect, your win was pretty much a lock after the ninth move. At least with the strategy I was using. Thanks though, I learned a lot about this game now that I'd gotten a chance to play it."

Macrov smiled, "It was my pleasure- you were certainly an interesting opponent, and you recognized your mistake. A sign of talent in my humble opinion.  Maybe I should help you out, teach you some tricks? I could always stop by your place if you'd like, that way I do not inconvenience you too much." 

"I'd like that," Faye said, nodding. She was rather excited at the prospect of having her first friend visiting. She'd read that friends visiting one's house was an effective bonding experience. "My father is always in his lab, so anytime that you want to come over would be fine with me."

"Of course- and your brother?" He asked out of curiousity. He knew Seth didn't "do school" but he was curious how the boy would react to seeing him walk in with his younger sister. Some lesser people had cavalier attitudes towards the rich and elite.

"It's hard to say with him," Faye said, shrugging. "Sometimes he's in, sometimes he's out. He just sort of does whatever he wants. He's a nice guy though, and super smart. I'm sure you guys will get along fine..."

She trailed off a bit, not entirely certain if her statement was entirely true or not. Her brother did have very strong opinions after all.

"Either way, he is pretty unobtrusive when asked to be." 

"Fair enough. Well I suppose I could always stop by now- my day is cleared and school is over." Macrov said stretching, "A good idea to talk more while the game is still fresh in your mind you know." He said, cracking his neck.

"Sounds good to me," Faye said, shooting him a grin. "I didn't make any plans, so we can head straight there."

With that, she stood up, rolling her shoulders a bit.

"I can lead the way. It's only a short shuttle ride to where I live," Faye added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back