Cringiest Cring of the Cringy RPs

Fortnight Osprey

<p>

So, something i don't understand is why do the Cringy RPs always get popular, but they well thought out, good ones never even have one person post on it?? it honestly makes me lose faith in roleplayers in general and i just don't understand.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like watching a car crash. It's horrific, but you just can't look away from it.

Sometimes the results are just too hilarious to pass up. That's why I have an eye for reading bad webcomics or bad movies and making fun of them for atrocious art/stupid plots/horrid writing. Sometimes your brain just shuts down after failing to make sense of something this dumb and you just begin laughing along because it's easier to do.

I can't say much about how to make the good stand out more, but I can say that sometimes people just want to laugh at something stupid.

Well it's most likely because most people don't like to read detailed, well thought out rps and the people who do don’t really seem to like the same rps, that or they really aren't looking for other rps besides their own. Most people just seem to like simple.

Lowest Common Denominator etc.

But never let it lower your standards. I'd rather have no RP than one that makes my soul vomit

I mean, you should probably properly if you wanna belittle anyone's roleplays. Not trying to insult or criticize, I don't really care about grammar etc. when chatting as long as it's readable, but yeah.

Anyways, "cringey" roleplays are subjective, first and foremost. While many people enjoy fantasy roleplays, I find the average princess, dragons and knights roleplay so trite and unoriginal that I immediately nope out. But well-thought out roleplays usually require a certain level of effort. You have to read, you have to consider the crafted world and you have to, probably, abide by a certain standard of quality. As is with everything, a majority of people want the easiest, instant or at least closest gratification, and roleplaying isn't any different. So if someone searches for a ship or whatever or wants to play a character for self-gratification they'd rather play in Academy Fandom Romance shit version 293829328 than a complex, story-driven roleplay.

Pain versus pleasure.

When you see something that's obviously lower quality than what you write, would you be intimidated? No. It's easier to do anything when you're not too worried. Maybe you share a similar interest with the person who made the roleplay and just want to give it a shot, even if the quality doesn't quite meet your expectations. In the case of high-quality and good content, some people feel easily threatened when someone is skilled at something. They're worried that they'll seem inadequate so they don't want to risk anything and choose not to invest any time into it.

Also:
Sturgeon's Law - TV Tropes

"
90% of everything is crud."

Probability. I'm pretty sure a bigger % of "good" RPs get off the ground but there are a ton of "cringy" ones. RPs with simpler posts also have a ton of posts and people sometimes watch them for hours instead of ticking off replies in free time. Less text = more posts. They appeal to a different demographic than the ones you're in, people just like different things. Don't lose faith yet though because there's something for everyone.

the worst is probably the School RPs. Like it is a Highschool or College. Seriously, wtf, how is this interesting to anyone.

School RPs are the go-to RP for most people. Heck, I used to be the GM of one myself, though I made sure to do it more creatively than every other academic RP (it ended up having a slight Harry Potter feel). Me, unless the idea is creative enough to me, I don't typically join school-based roleplays.

I don't "cringe" easily when it comes to more creative based things (horribly done memes, on the other hand.....), so while I don't join every RP, I do the ones that appeal to me. For everyone, it just comes down to preference. Someone may find one RP idea cringey while the other enjoys it.

I do believe horrible RPers that refuse to improve are rather disliked by most people, though.

My main reason for disliking School Roleplays is because i already deal with edgy and emotional teenagers on a daily basis, i don't want to roleplay school problems and the problems of edgy and emotional teenagers. I typically lean more towards Sci-fi war scenarios, Sci-fi Exploration or Diesel Punk (for those who don't know what Diesel Punk is, it is kinda like Steampunk, except it is more World War era and the Airships are massive steel Behemoths. The Ships may also be just Zeppelins). I stay away from magic and superhero stuff because a good 50% of the time it turns into a dick measuring contest with almost everyone having a tagic past. Meanwhile, i am sitting there going "GUYS! lets get back to the story....maybe....no....okay bye"

I feel like every week variations of this question gets posted and I don't know why when the answer will always be the same: people just like them.

Make the roleplays you want to play. With all these people basically asking the same thing over and over I'm sure you won't have a shortage of players either.

I believe this is the seventh time I have seen this thread.

I believe it may time to add an entry to Frequently Posted Threads.

In the meanwhile, all I can say is look harder, follow up on the kind of users who pop up in this subforum a lot, and try be persistent in posting the RPs you want to play.

Grey said:
I believe this is the seventh time I have seen this thread.
I believe it may time to add an entry to Frequently Posted Threads.

In the meanwhile, all I can say is look harder, follow up on the kind of users who pop up in this subforum a lot, and try be persistent in posting the RPs you want to play.
if it is frequently posted, that means it is a very frequent problem

Username said:
if it is frequently posted, that means it is a very frequent problem
One a month, give or take.

I have yet to see the people posting them join together to play something of a quality they want, or joining the quality RPs I do see around the place.

Off the top of my head, some of the best freeform GMs on the site to follow are Sunbather (incredibly high-concept RPs), Anomaly, Elle Joyner, and Welian.

If you're willing to try dice; Ixacise, Tzer, Cthulhu_Wakes (doesn't pitch often, but his RPs border on perfect), Crocodile, Sherwood, Silvertongued, and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two people who are highly capable and have cool ideas. I'm definitely ruling out a couple of people who don't seem so active anymore.

In general, persistence seems to be key. I pitch RPs regularly and eventually fill them up; I see people who make interest checks often succeed way more than people who post once and give up.

I actually like the idea of making a group together judging by those who are fed up with the more common roleplays. I might work on a gathering topic of sorts, though that'll be a difficult as heck task since it still shouldn't be snobby and exclusive, but simply more concentrated on a certain style of RPing.

Grey said:
Sunbather (incredibly high-concept RPs)
EOIDPCI.png

Fun fact: I once made a cringey-ass roleplay here and it got much more attention than my actually good ones.

I see where you come from. But I think it's because most people who are new to roleplay/writing want to join something, not make new, and the more detailed/higher quality stuff scares them away, sort of, so they just join the simpler/'cringier' ones, while more experienced ones have their own ideas. I mean, if I wanted to roleplay in a Steampunk setting with, say, ogres and dragons, while another guy wanted a roleplay on Mars in a thousand years into the future, we're certainly not joining each others' roleplays.

Username said:
the worst is probably the School RPs. Like it is a Highschool or College. Seriously, wtf, how is this interesting to anyone.
i personally lean towards school rps or just any "mundane" rps in general.

i'm all the more for realism and letting my muse roam free. slice-of-life rps

can be really fun and interesting if you give them the chance and put as much

work on it as you do on your sci-fi fantasy ones. but jfc if i don't agree with you

that some school rps are just full of the same scraps of characters with scene

girl/boy fcs and doe-eyed ulzzang and pincher-nose fcs. i understand that

everyone has their own set of preferences but dear god, if i see more of those

become super popular ever again...

I also think they are just the best styles of roleplays for beginners. Looking back on it pretty much the entirety of my early roleplay career was some form of school roleplay.

Which makes sense - I was just finishing up high school and most of the stuff I was interested in was YA surrounded by that setting too.

So it's not really all that surprising that they are so common and so many of them are shall we say a little Simple. Nothing wrong with that and it's a good stepping stone for those just starting out.

I do on occasion still enjoy some or another school setting but usually as a tweak to the standard formula. I have been dying to do a roleplay from the teachers POV with like all the students being NPCs that are basically the "beginner" types that we all find a little irritating to horrible annoying.

Fuck, if we're talking cringe, I had a Tumblr account once. I RP'd as an OC on that and while I wrote a lot for a single reply, I was still utter trash.

It says a great deal when you delete your own account out of shame.

Personally I find it more cringey when I see someone on this site rip-off published literature and try to pass it as their own creation.

Plagiarism is always lame. So what I don't get with school RP is if you are going to roleplay a slice of life, why don't you just go out and live it.

Username said:
Plagiarism is always lame. So what I don't get with school RP is if you are going to roleplay a slice of life, why don't you just go out and live it.
well that could just be you :/ same as how i could also be the only one here who likes SOL. either way, not everyone has the time and capability to live what they write in SOLs. it's the same as with fantasy and sci-fi and every other genre.

isn't this basically the point of
roleplaying though? to "live" out what you want and can't do irl?

tl:dr; each to their own, bruh.

Username said:
I mean, I don't play slice of life, really, but I'm lame and I suck, so that strongly differs from my characters.

You can go out and make friends at school irl. You can't get involved with an intergalactic war in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back