Could someone help me with my orcs?

Salsacookies

Spicemancer Extraordinaire!
I've been wanting to create a race of orcs. I've generally got their culture down, but I'm having trouble getting a good "look" down for them.

Generally, while orcs seem to usually seem to be humans evolved from boars/suidine, I've wanted mine to look like they evolved from bears/ursine creatures, not a half bear half human, but like how a human would look with bear ancestors, instead of ape. Also, I've been having an issue finding a good reference for my orc's skin color. It's generally brown, with a tint ranging from red to green, with the mid range being yellow, (Based on the RGB computer color wheel).

I'm simply asking for some good references to help try to get a good look in my mind for my orcs. They are a late Renaissance civilization living in a tundra/glacial land, with volcanic mountains and wasteland covering half the land (look up Iceland for a good reference). They are very American, promoting capitalism and free will through democracy, but still have a brutal, orcish edge to them, being prone to anger and generally loving to fight and kill.

As for their religion, they worship five demons, with them representing complete world domination and enslavement, utter chaos and unspeakable violence and murder, thievery of all existence, an outbreak of horrific disease and insanity, and eternal damnation by fire. They worship these demons so as to know what not to be, and to keep them sealed, so that they never bring the world doom, if they were ever freed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrighty, I'll help you with my orcs. As a crafter of lore myself, I know how difficult it can be to get exactly what you want out of what you make. Your orcs sound very interesting and intriguing, and I'll be on the look-out for art or any sort of mythical creature that appear like the description of your orcs. Might I ask how their government works? Democratic, sure, but exactly how?

Think of the captains of industry in the late 19th century. Carnegie, Rockefeller, those sorts of people. They worked their way to the top either by hard work or unscrupulous tactics, and they work others very hard as well, for not very much usually. Stereotypically, the orcs are considered hot-blooded, rough, and not very considerate of others feelings, along with having a rude sense of humor

I actually really like that. Just a bit of a trim and a dye job, and the one on the left would be pretty much perfect. Thanks, that's a great reference.

Really nice spin on orcs, from the little there. I'd've gone a step further and made them libertarian.

I'd be curious to see the rest of the setting.

What are you thinking of when you want "libertarian" orcs? Please elaborate on your idea, I'm curious.

For the setting, it'll be a make your own fantasy world type place. These orcs would be my contribution to it, along with a hell realm, called The World's Shadow. In small cracks under the mortal realm lies an evil world, where the god lights fail to light. In this realm, the Five rule, playing the Game of Souls, in the hope to eventually devouring the world whole.

The five are as follows...

Khayne of Utopia, the Conqueror. It represents oppression and lack of freedom. It holds great psychic might and physical strength, and its sole goal is complete enslavement of the world to its will, in both body and soul. It is the face of its kind, and as such, takes the place of leader.

Brutahr of Havoc, the Savage. It represents complete chaos and all forms of violence, from fistfights to torture. It is well versed in all forms of combat, and is a master practicioner of blood magic. It strives to crack the world apart in war, and to turn the oceans red with blood. The master of war, it is the general of the infernal armies.

Nuthain of Want, the Deprived. It represents poverty and famine, of all lacking. It makes its home in the shadows, and blizzards mark its path of eternal thievery of all things it touches. To steal and leave empty is its eternal desire, and it shall always take away, until nothing remains. Nuthain acts as Spymaster, with shadows as its advisers and peepholes into the secret places.

Chron of Sepsis, the Ill. It represents sickness of the three facets of Mortalkind, Physical, Mental, and Spiritual. A whole realm of all sickness known and unknown resides within it, and wherever it goes, willingly or not, the sickness spreads, consuming all. It is unpredictable and insane, so much so that not even its kind understand it. Chron does not fulfill a duty, it simply does as it wishes.

Brahnd of Ruin, the Judge. Justice after death is this things domain, and ash and flame are its tools. Necromancy and Fire grace its skeletal hands, with the singular purpose of raising the vengeful dead, to take the souls of the evil doers, to be judged and punished for eternity, and beyond. Should such a creature make its way to our world, doom shall quickly follow, as all living things are tainted in its eyes, and must be judged in pure flame, as it should be. Brahnd is considered the touchstone of morality, and as such, is considered the church figurehead.

Oh, sort of a full-on individual sovereignty objectivist thing (or Randian nightmare, depending on your perspective). A belief the market will self-regulate and that there's no need for common government, with each individual orc holding power over their property and the right to defend it with lethal force. And then they employ lesser orcs, those who by virtue of not being a wealthy industrialist are clearly inferior.

While philosophically and publicly they might reject the idea of a government like any other anarchist, odds are you'd end up with an oligarchical council.

Honestly it's not a model that's ever made much sense to me, but hey, if some real humans think it's a good idea then ursine orcs, with a propensity to belligerence and autonomy, would potentially embrace it.

Oh, and welcome to the site. Appreciate that slick King in Yellow avatar.

Thanks for having me. Hopefully I can get a good self-running Roleplay started.

Yep, I'm going the extra mile. Libertarian Ursine Orcs sound great. Beware the Ghurzs markets, they may have good deals, but competition can be deadly.

For the setting, it'll be a make your own fantasy world type place. These orcs would be my contribution to it, along with a hell realm, called The World's Shadow. In small cracks under the mortal realm lies an evil world, where the god lights fail to light. In this realm, the Five rule, playing the Game of Souls, in the hope to eventually devouring the world whole.
The five are as follows...

Khayne of Utopia, the Conqueror. It represents oppression and lack of freedom. It holds great psychic might and physical strength, and its sole goal is complete enslavement of the world to its will, in both body and soul. It is the face of its kind, and as such, takes the place of leader.

Brutahr of Havoc, the Savage. It represents complete chaos and all forms of violence, from fistfights to torture. It is well versed in all forms of combat, and is a master practicioner of blood magic. It strives to crack the world apart in war, and to turn the oceans red with blood. The master of war, it is the general of the infernal armies.

Nuthain of Want, the Deprived. It represents poverty and famine, of all lacking. It makes its home in the shadows, and blizzards mark its path of eternal thievery of all things it touches. To steal and leave empty is its eternal desire, and it shall always take away, until nothing remains. Nuthain acts as Spymaster, with shadows as its advisers and peepholes into the secret places.

Chron of Sepsis, the Ill. It represents sickness of the three facets of Mortalkind, Physical, Mental, and Spiritual. A whole realm of all sickness known and unknown resides within it, and wherever it goes, willingly or not, the sickness spreads, consuming all. It is unpredictable and insane, so much so that not even its kind understand it. Chron does not fulfill a duty, it simply does as it wishes.

Brahnd of Ruin, the Judge. Justice after death is this things domain, and ash and flame are its tools. Necromancy and Fire grace its skeletal hands, with the singular purpose of raising the vengeful dead, to take the souls of the evil doers, to be judged and punished for eternity, and beyond. Should such a creature make its way to our world, doom shall quickly follow, as all living things are tainted in its eyes, and must be judged in pure flame, as it should be. Brahnd is considered the touchstone of morality, and as such, is considered the church figurehead.
In case you didn't see it, I answered the question about the setting.

Could someone point me to a good resource for a noob to make a good RP thread. I'd like to make a good character skeleton for civilizations, astral planes, character/legends, and epic quests and items for people to use to easily add to my RP, since I plan for it to be kind of a collaborative game, where the creator of the civilization/plane becomes the GM of that area. Like how I'd be the GM for my areas, someone else would be the GM for theirs.

I don't believe we have such a thing. Every RP has different sheets to differing degrees, and everyone devises their own according to their whims and ability.

You would also want a Hosted Project for an idea so sprawling - and for that, you need some community goodwill.

I'd advise strongly that you join a few RPs, take a look at sheets and skeletons in those. Maybe ask some of the BBCode wizards in this subforum about structuring them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back