• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Conversations (PM)

Verena

Devil woman
Greetings!

Conversations have always been a great part of the site. People use them as another method of roleplaying, to discuss Out Of Character topics, especially personal matters etc. But in my opinion, there are still some things that could be improved upon.

I, and quite a lot of people as well, were asking ourselves why the like button has been removed. I think it would be great if one was to restore the Like button because right now, if a user wants to tell he agrees with an idea or statement, he has to write it down. When the Like button was still present, it was only a small click of the mouse or tap on the screen in the case of mobile users away.

Also, why can't a user join back if they had left it permanently? There was a friend, a new user, that still wasn't aware of how to stop getting E-Mail notifications so he left the conversation. But now that he has found it, he wants to join again but can't. I think if would be a good idea to create a feature with which one can invite people to join back.

And lastly, why isn't there an option to delete a message like in threads? Since a lot of people roleplay through conversations, I believe that this features would be very helpful. I also think that the time to edit a message should also be non-restrictive, just like in a thread, again for the purpose of roleplaying.

I hope to get an answer soon and that maybe these ideas will be taken in consideration.

Sincerely,

Vulcan

Heya Vulcan,

So, I know we discussed this in a conversation, but I'm going to write record my responses here, as well, so other people can read them if they feel so inclined. So, to answer your first question, the like button was removed from conversations when we updated the like system because likes in conversations never counted towards your like-count anyways. They didn't count because people began "farming" likes, for lack of a better term, by spamming with a friend and liking each other back and forth. If you are interested in reinstating likes for conversations, I'd be happy to discuss it with the rest of the staff. Note, however, that they won't count towards your like-count.

In response to your second question, there are two options when leaving a conversation: permanently and quasi-permanently. Users can't be added back into a conversation they left permanently because it is an anti-spam, anti-harassment function. Imagine how frustrating it would be for a user who left a conversation permanently because they didn't want to be a part of it, only to be added back time and time again? We use the word permenantely in its true definition: lasting or intending to last or remain unchanged indefinitely. I can't imagine this function will be changed because of this reason.

full

And, lastly, I'm not sure why there isn't an option to delete posts in conversations; it was before my time. That said, it may simply be because the program doesn't allow for it. Unfortunately, we can only do as much as the add-ons and programs allow for us to do.

Deletion and editing in Pms was limited for user spam and harrassment purposes. If a user was harassing another in PMs, and then could just delete before it could be reported, it would make it hard to staff to interfere and hard for the user to say they were being harassed.

I don't think that deletion will be added to PMs soon. Also, I'd suggest moving the RP to threads if deletion and editing is a big issue in the PM RP.

Mordecai said:
And, lastly, I'm not sure why there isn't an option to delete posts in conversations; it was before my time. That said, it may simply be because the program doesn't allow for it. Unfortunately, we can only do as much as the add-ons and programs allow for us to do.
Deletion of private messages is normally not allowed in Xenforo. For reasons that @Auren described. Even if you go to Xenforo's actual website, that runs on the default system, you have a limited entry point for editing PMs and you cannot delete them. This is to assist in preventing harassment but also to prevent fraud (as on Xenforo sites there is often money and contracts transacted through conversations). Imagine if you could just change something you agreed on to make more money?

So its not something specific to RpN, and its not something that the Xenforo devs recommend turning off. (I am not even sure if it can be completely turned off tbh)

Auren said:
Also, I'd suggest moving the RP to threads if deletion and editing is a big issue in the PM RP.
Definitely this.

I also think that the likes in the PM were something done by a modification of the software, so when the update of the software occured, the old modification had to be removed, as a member of the staff informed me recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back