• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Controlled, Altered, Deleted

formerlyAbrogated

Elder Member
A group of people have been trapped inside a virtual world by a maniacal scientist and must attempt to find their way out of it, braving perils and treacherous puzzles along the way.

--

The twist in the game is that we use dice to perform combat etc. like a traditional RPG! We have all the traditional features of one too, such as class selection, health, stats, etc.

Offline, Not Role-playing currently

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear Sir/Madam,

You have been cordially invited to take part in a series of special experiments for only the most unique individuals. You and 7 other people have been chosen. On the 6th of July, this year, we implore you to follow the directions attached below and arrive at 5p.m. sharp to the given address. Do not be late.

Sincerely, Professor Theta

C H A P T E R Z E R O: The Awakening

It's cold. This is the thought that echoes within your mind. The events from minutes ago are nothing but a hazy blur. You've awoken in darkness, lying on a black metal-like surface resembling a green vector grid. Above you is a dark, featureless sky, save the few stray lines of code which drift along. There appear to be six other people with you; you can hear them waking up as well.

What do you do?

---

And so it begins...

@Ensig @Alias @Heyitsjiwon @Coatboy @Impocractes @Alice Ripper (Did I forget anyone?)

HP: 105 / 105

ME: 110 / 110

SPD: 10

STR: 15

CHR: 15

LGC: 15

AIM: 10

Luna Wendt

Staring up at the dark, empty void of a 'sky' overhead, Luna simply remained laying down for several seconds. "Where...?" she started, cutting herself off out of sheer bewilderment. No matter how much she squinted her eyes she couldn't see any stars in the void, so a confused expression crossed her face as she propped herself up to a proper sitting position. Turning her eyes from the sky, Luna looked at the ground. It seemed to be some sort of metal plating with... Green lines? Luna wondered just what sort of place would have such a floor design, but the fact it wasn't natural was clear enough, so perhaps she was inside a building of some sort?

Thinking so, Luna tilted her head and furrowed her brows. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't remember going into a building with an odd floor like this... She knew that she had walked to the destination that Professor Theta had instructed, but... What happened afterwards? Crossing her arms with a light "Hmm..." Luna attempted to sift through the haze that seemed to inhabit her mind.

'I couldn't have been kidnapped, right...?!'

Luna shook her head, pushing away such thoughts; she followed up by lightly slapping both sides of her face to keep herself from falling into a panic. Going into such a state wouldn't do her any good in this situation, she knew that. She knew that, but... Her body shuddered at the thought regardless. Quickly, Luna scanned her surroundings, hoping to find something, anything to distract her thoughts for now; thankfully, she found something that fit the bill: People.

She didn't recognize any of them, but... Taking the advice she had given her students time and time again, she decided to ask a question, given the fact she couldn't make heads or tails of the situation. "Erm... Do any of you know where we are?" she asked, her question aimed at anyone in particular. Confusion was audible in her words and easily visible on her face, but that couldn't be helped.

@Anyone-Else

Christopher Conan

"No idea." Christopher mumbled, propping himself upright. The others were still semi-unconsious, so he decided to at least get some bearings on the situation. "You're.. Luna, right?" Christopher asked, faintly recalling a scene resembling a rolecall, where all of their names were listed off.

---

@Ensig

Palmer Amado

Awakened by the small conversation Palmer got up head throbbing, disoriented, and confused. After searching his memory for a moment, the last thing he remembered was finding the location detailed in the letter. "Damn that Theta, what are these so called experim- ngh!" he clutched his head from a sudden sharp pain. Looking around as he shook his head, he realized the void surrounding them and finally noticed the other people, two were already up, but four more remained on the floor seemingly still only semi-conscious. "Oh, who are you two? Wait we've... met haven't we, aren't you, uh, Christian? and... Lucy?" Looking to the others he walked over to the closest person and tried to shake him awake, "Hey! er, Jay, was it? Come on, get up!"

Gasping for air, Timothy bolted upright. He ran his hands through his pants, his shirt, and finally to his face where his glasses are still intact. I'm alive...?, this was his first thought and he was somewhat relieved. Why was he panicking? He doesn't remember. But seeing his surroundings, he's starting to wonder whether or not he's actually alive. He stood up and noticed there was something written in the sky. Are those code?, he wondered as he recognized them. He then noticed other people who were just waking up. He recognized them, and everything finally clicked together.

"Oh my god", Timothy muttered in a mix of awe, disbelief, and terror. "He built a virtual cage"

Luna Wendt

Making a partially shocked expression, Luna looked over to the young man that answered her. After a moment, she answered; "Yeah, that's right but... Who are -- ngh...!" Luna cradled her head in her hands as she remembered meeting up with the rest of the group. "Christopher... You're... Christopher?" she said, looking up at the boy. She had said it in a way that could make it come off as either a question or a statement in the hopes her headache wasn't making her loopy. Before he could answer, however, a man that Luna recognized as Palmer raised his voice as well.

"I-It's Luna, actually..." she replied, a wry smile floating across her face. The voices of the people around her had washed away most of the anxiety she had built up, and she didn't really mind his mistake... She was used to children forgetting her name, so she had eventually stopped being offended by such things from all ages, after all.

Looking around at the group once again, the final one who was 'awake' seemed to be muttering to himself. She couldn't hear what he was saying, but figuring it was just his way of express the fact that he didn't know what was going on either, she decided not to ask.

"Erm... For now... We should try waking the rest up, I guess?" she muttered, intending her words mostly for herself. With that, she stood up, immediately resulting in an odd sensation passing through her legs. It was akin to suddenly running about in a new pair of shoes, she thought... But she could think of such things later. Making her way over to the only other girl in the group, Luna knelt down and nudged her lightly. "Gazet...? Gazet, please wake up." Luna used the tone she had perfected as a Kindergarten Teacher, one of motherly compassion -- although a hint of worry was present, given their mysterious situation.

@BartekStu, @Coatboy, @Alice Ripper

"Sorry, I'm no good with names." Palmer replied as he looked down in embarrassment, he honestly could hardly remember anything whatsoever after finding the place in the Professor's letter while everyone else seemed to be piecing it together easily. He could just barely remember everyone's faces. They all probably know a lot more about whats going on, he thought, what in the world did Theta do? and what did he say in that meeting?

Palmer, who was close enough to Timothy to hear him, put James down, "Wait, a cage you said...?" Palmer thought about his words, and he didn't exactly know what Timothy meant, but he figured that if they were put in here there must be an entrance and walls somewhere. He was determined to find it. Turning around he briskly strode in no particular direction, to simply test the dimensions of this 'cage'. "Wait. Here."

Nicholas felt an excruciating pain in his head as he woke up. He groaned as he sat up, clutching his head in pain. The past few hours were all a blur. Nick looks around, and sees that he isn't alone. There are six others, some awake, some not. A grim smile appears on his face. Whatever this was, at least he didn't have to face it alone. For some reason, though, their faces looked familiar. Nicholas thinks for a bit, trying to recall where he had seen them before. He didn't have to think long before he had recalled where he had seen them. It was still mostly a blur, but he remembered them all meeting with Dr. Theta... This must be part of the experiment that was mentioned in the letter! Although he still had no idea what was going on. Nicholas decides to make his presence known, and asks "Do any of you know what's going on?".

James could begin to hear others nearby him. They were rather loud so it was hard to stay asleep. That's when he realized. Why was he asleep? James' eyes snapped open as his head turned to look at the source of all the sound. He had just met all these people just a few minutes ago, but what had happened in those few minutes? He couldn't remember. His memory was blurry as if he had pulled off two all nighters. Everyone seemed rather confused and very concerned about the situation, which was reasonable.

As far as experiments go, this one seemed rather strange. Hell, from what he could tell so far, this wasn't an ethical experiment and that Professor Theta could have a messy lawsuit in his hands. That is if they could leave this experiment. It was quite clear that they were in the middle of it. For now, James decided that playing along would be the best choice. So, he got up and just started to walk around to explore this odd room.

Christopher stood up, then immediately sat back down, as the sudden movement invoked a near-instantaneous pang of nausea. He listened idly to the conversations. Everyone seemed to be as confused as he was.

(BGM: [media]

[/media])
An obnoxious crackle of static filled the room. The culprit was a previously-unnoticed loudspeaker just.. in the air.

"Uh, hello? Is this thing on.. ah yes, there we go." the voice cleared its throat. "Greetings. I am Professor Theta. And you six have been meticulously chosen to participate in our experiment. You have been chosen based on your experience with technology, lack thereoff, your critical thinking abilities and your general character. Don't bother to hide anything. We know everything about you."

===

@Heyitsjiwon @Alias @Impocractes @Coatboy @Ensig @Alice Ripper

Timothy wandered around the room and to others it looked like he was running from one side of the room and coming back to the other side. He has read about the professor's study on 'virtual cages' like this, but he never thought he'd use it this way.

He then heard a loud voice coming from a speaker. "Then you do know that I have to come back home next week right? My mom makes ridiculously good pasta and I wouldn't dare miss that", Timothy said casually in a middle of what is basically a hostage situation. "So how about I come again after I get back. How's that sound?"

Professor Theta

"Any form of escape will be penalized. You may have noticed the chips implanted into each of your forearms. They will prevent you from leaving the virtual grid.. by installing a lethal electric shock throughout your body. Not that it matters; you cannot leave this place regardless."

===

@Alias

Gazet was out of it like a light she was just so tired from the day before, but she was slightly unsure why, when someone decided to wake her up she blinked a little and woke up, she realized she had missed most of what was going on that morning, but she was okay with that. She was unsure of her surroundings but that wasn't anything new. when she was nudged she began to sit up and kind of just watch the girl that woke her. "Is it even still morning?" Gazet said in a sleepy voice still.

(sorry if its short, I just woke up. sorry for not being more active. )

"Well that sucks", Timothy sat down instead. "So, what kind of experiment is this? If you're looking to test your virtual cage then let me tell you, it's workin' all hunky-dory!", he said in his worst trucker accent.

Stats

Equipped
Weapon: --

Armor: --

Shield: --

Moveset:

-

-

-

-

-
Punch

--

--

--

--
Other

Class

Pawn (Human)

Ailments

--

Mentions

@BartekStu | @Alice Ripper

Luna Wendt

Luna looked around as more people woke up; James and Palmer even seemed to be walking around now, investigating the odd room they were in, too... Luna wanted to ask them if they found something -- anything -- but decided to continue trying to wake up the girl in front of her instead; she was the only one left to wake, after all. Before the girl opened her eyes, however, the sound of static -- just like the sound a microphone would make when the principal decided to meddle with their position before an assembly -- resounded in the room, causing Luna to wince slightly.

Thankfully, the sound was over in an instant, allowing Luna to breathe a sigh of relief. As it died off, it was replaced with a voice she knew... 'This is... Professor Theta's voice. I'm sure of it.' she thought to herself, only for her thoughts to be confirmed not even a moment later.

To the professor's introduction, Luna could only tilt her head. This was part of the test...? Well, thinking about it, it would explain the location. Odd experiments happened in odd places -- or so Luna thought, reasoning to herself and calming down slightly. Of course, she thought the 'We know everything about you' bit was a bit odd, but... Perhaps the professor was only referring to how thoroughly they investigated the people for the test? Showing her confusion openly, she tilted her head to the side as she mulled over the professor's words, only partially paying attention to Timothy as he seemed to converse with the person beyond the seemingly-invisible speaker.

"Any form of escape will be penalized. You may have noticed the chips implanted into each of your forearms. They will prevent you from leaving the virtual grid..."

Letting out a light "E-Eh?", Luna quickly checked her forearms. Just as the Professor had said, odd mechanisms seemed to be attached, causing her eyes to widen in response. As if the strength had left her pale arms, she weakly felt over them, too bewildered to ask questions like 'When did these appear?' 'How are these attached?' 'Can these be removed?' and more. Her confusion only grew as the Professor finished their small pause.

" -- By installing a lethal electric shock throughout your body. Not that it matters; you cannot leave this place regardless."

"L-Lethal electric shock...?!" Luna muttered, panic spreading over her face. If the group had to stay within certain boundaries, then some sort of incentive to stay would be necessary, but... A lethal penalty?! Like, *BZZZZZT* Death?!

'-- No, the Professor must be joking... Or perhaps, seeing our reaction is part of the test? Yeah. That must be it...'

With an anxious smile on her face, Luna looked down as Gazet seemed to wake up, nudging her again and causing her to sit up and ask Luna a question. "Erm... I'm... Not entirely sure." she responded, trying her best to hide her anxiety from showing on her face (and failing miserably). She then turned to the direction the Professor's voice seemed to come from, and spoke up again. "U-Um... Professor Theta, that thing about lethal electric shocks... You only said that to see our reactions, right? I-It's just part of the experiment right?"

Gazet had missed most of the announcement but the idea of electric shock have her wild ideas that the others would probably hate her for having. " this sounds interesting, but umm i missed most of that, what all did he say?" Gazet said as she looked at the girl and smiled at how distraught she seemed to be. "your kind of adorable when your confused." she said with what wasn't meant to be a creepy smile but she was sure it probably was and then she gave herself a mental brain slap and hoping she didn't make a weird impression on the girl. Gazet didn't have much interest in what the guys were doing they seemed out of it on their own end, gazet didn't much care for technicalities and such she just enjoyed being.

"Oh, you didn't miss much", Timothy said to the girl who just woke up. "He was just explaining to us that we're in an experiment and we can't leave until we finish it. Also, I love what you did to your hair. It's very... tumblr-esque". Although he was just joking, he was actually amazed by how much detail everyone's facial features have inside this virtual cage. It would take a genius to program this much variables. But then again, the professor is nothing short of a genius.

HP

ME

Nicholas looked down at his right forearm and saw the chip that Theta was talking about. He stared at it for a few seconds before his brain actually regestered what he was looking at. Nicholas could feel himself starting to panic, so he took a deep breath to calm himself down. There must be something that Theta wants from them for him to track each one of them down personally, and trap them in such an elaborate way. Where were they anyways? Theta said something about a virtual grid. Did that mean that they were inside a computer? That would explain the blackness and the lines of code floating through the sky. But this could be figured out later. "What do you want from us, Theta?" Nicholas says, a bit louder.

Gazet nodded as he gave her a short update about what was going on, she was still half asleep and she didnt rely care about much anything than maybe going back to sleep. "so experiment, sounds interesting, experementing can be fun." she said with no emotion in her voice, she looked around here to see her surroindings, they were different than normal but that didn't really bother her. When he said something about her hair she smiled and almost giggled but that took to much effort for mornings. And as far as she was concerned she was calling it morning. She saw the two freak out about diner hi g in their arms and loomed at her arms to see what all the commotion was about she didn't bother to look at theirs she was to unobservant right now for that. She gave shrug and tilted her head, it was whatever she wasnt a virgin to foreign objects being in her skin.

The moment Palmer heard the Professor's words, he froze. He didn't quite understand what he was talking about and didn't know what type of boundary there might be, or whether his very next step could be his last. Panicking he turned straight around and sprinted in the direction he thought he came from.

As the group came back into view, Palmer regained his composure and slowed down, the only sign left of his panic was how red his face was. "Everyone's up?" He asked surprised, then knelt down next to Timothy putting a hand on his shoulder and quietly asked, "Jim, you understand what's going on pretty well, right? Can you put it simply?" looking away, as his face turns even redder.

"Yes Luna Wendt, the deadly electric shocking is part of the experiment!" The voice said cheerfully, not quite getting Luna's point. "And there's nothing that I want. All you have to do is escape this world the.. more pleasurable way. By beating the game. What game, you may ask? Well, you'll find out soon enough."

(I mightn't be able to update too regularly because I will be travelling. I'll do my best! ^^)

"You've been watching too much 'Saw', but okay.", Timothy joked but he's actually terrified. "But before you send us off, can't you tell us what exactly you are studying? I don't understand what kind of results you're looking for in this strange experiment". Then he turned to Palmer who just woke up. "It's Timothy, thank you very much. Anyway, jigsaw over here trapped us in his virtual cage to play a game for his experiment or something".

Gazet decided to ignore everything and play later she wanted to go back to sleep, she layed back down where she was and closed her eyes even though she knew she probably wouldn't get to sleep, but she wasn't in the mood to deal with everyone while they were trying to figure everything out, she figured she woikd. Just ask once they had actually done it. She had no comment on anything she just wanted to be alone, but she also figured that wasn't going to. Happen anytime soon. She looked over at them and gave a sigh and started humming pop goes the weasel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back