Confirmed - Exalted 2nd Ed. coming

Haku1

Ze Hamster of Lurkdom
It's confirmed, best to start saving up all your loose change now.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/se ... 28906.html

Exalted 2nd Edition Confirmed
White Wolf Announces Second Edition of Exalted

Atlanta, GA; June 10, 2005â€â€Ending a rash of speculation, White Wolf Publishing announced today that it will be releasing a second edition of its wildly popular pen-and-paper roleplaying game Exalted in 2006. White Wolf first gave hints of its intentions with a titillating “leakâ€

Well that explains the complete lack of Exalted Books after Aspect Wood they hopefully are working full time on the new rules for January.

yeah I was wondering, why there was no fatsplat for november.  I guess that makes it pretty clear why.

Weren't Sidereals made by a writer who stuck to Geoff's plan? I'm not blaming GCG . . . but sticking to his vision just doesn't seem like a surefire method for gold.

Just because he stuck to the plan doesn't mean GCG thinks the writer stuck to the plan.

Joseph, hell no I won't take that bet. The odds of them fucking it up are far better than them doing it right.

As long as they only make the necessary revisions to the book (i.e. updated Solar Charms, a few rules tweaks, updated info on Creation & other Exalted), I'll be happy.  If they go overboard and make a bunch of books invalid, then I'll be screaming like the bitch that I am.

It'd be one thing for them to remake some of the early books, such as "Scavenger Sons" and "Games of Divinity," just so long as they offered better, more updated versions with the revised edition.  It'd be nice, too, to see them completely revamp books like "The Lunars" and "The Sidereals," which - to me and, apparently, many others - badly need to be revised.  But making the most recent books invalid with the revised edition would be - again, to me - a bad move.  Even though revised editions for said books would likely not be coming out for four-five years (more than enough time to have accepted dropping the old edition for the new, if one decides to do that), the basic principal is that it would much invalidate the series as a whole to do so.  Personally, I say revise the corebook, the major fatsplats (on the four other major Exalted groups), and some of the early books ("SS," "GoD") with a few rules and general info edits, and then continue on with the line they were working on before a 2nd Ed. ever cropped up.  Keep printing books on locations, groups within (and outside) Creation, Castebooks for other Exalted, etc.  Don't redo or stop with that line.  Just revise what needs to be revised and then continue on as you were, I say.

Of course, "my say" is rarely ever heard and is even more rarely how things go, so maybe I should say that that isn't my say.  But, if I say it's not my say, then that makes it my say, thus invalidating me saying it's not my say.  I say!

As long as they only make the necessary revisions to the book (i.e. updated Solar Charms, a few rules tweaks, updated info on Creation & other Exalted), I'll be happy.  If they go overboard and make a bunch of books invalid, then I'll be screaming like the bitch that I am.
It'd be one thing for them to remake some of the early books, such as "Scavenger Sons" and "Games of Divinity," just so long as they offered better, more updated versions with the revised edition.  It'd be nice, too, to see them completely revamp books like "The Lunars" and "The Sidereals," which - to me and, apparently, many others - badly need to be revised.  But making the most recent books invalid with the revised edition would be - again, to me - a bad move.  Even though revised editions for said books would likely not be coming out for four-five years (more than enough time to have accepted dropping the old edition for the new, if one decides to do that), the basic principal is that it would much invalidate the series as a whole to do so.  Personally, I say revise the corebook, the major fatsplats (on the four other major Exalted groups), and some of the early books ("SS," "GoD") with a few rules and general info edits, and then continue on with the line they were working on before a 2nd Ed. ever cropped up.  Keep printing books on locations, groups within (and outside) Creation, Castebooks for other Exalted, etc.  Don't redo or stop with that line.  Just revise what needs to be revised and then continue on as you were, I say.
Your opinion pretty much sums up mine. If they start redoing the solar caste books I'll get pretty annoyed.

I wouldn't mind seeing "Revised" editions of books coming out where they adjust any typos and make other corrections. That way they don't make any previous copies of them invalid, and new players can get the CORRECT information.

Those of us who had pre-revision copies could even have something to brag about.

I don't know what'd be annoying about getting the Solar Castebooks redone. They weren't really big sellers if I recall, so it's not too likely.

But if Solars got revised, the Castebooks'd probably need some re-tooling. I'm fairly certain that with all of the new stuff that's come out, Adamantine Fists of Battle really shouldn't be an Essence 6 charm.

Though, it might be nice if they tore the Solars out of the Core and gave them their own fatsplat (like they've done with the new WoD). It would obviate the need to release new Castebooks since they could focus purely on Solars stuff without having to get all of the rules in that vied for space with Solars in the original BWB. A Solar fatsplat could consolidate everything worth saving from the Castebooks, add in some sweet teasers of what stuff was like in the First Age (which'd be good for Solars wanting to re-establish their dominon over Creation, as they could operate from the foggy model of the Deliberative remembered through shards), and all of the things Exalt types with their own fatsplats got that Solars got shafted with for being in the Core.

Full color is a waste of time.  They'll just use it as an excuse to charge more money for the book, and it certainly doesn't make it any more fun to read.

But yes, they should fix Grimcleaver.  Grimcleaver, Dire Lance, and Daiklaive each need to be equally viable.  Grimcleaver should be damage focused, Dire Lance Speed and Defense focused, Daiklaive Accuracy and Rate focused.

Kinda sucks. This is the same feeling I had when they brought out Werewolf 3rd Ed. "What the hell am I going to do with all these books!!!" I mean I have the WHOLE collection of exalted... suck ass.

Yeah, that's pretty much my worry as well. Especially when you consider how they seemed to be pumping out books left and right with revised rules, and yet still would goof it up with newer books with rulles that contradict previous rules, etc.

I only think they would need to revise just to consolidate charms, artifacts, and Exalted-type information where appropriate. This would include properly revised stats for various artifacts as Joe had mentioned earlier.

Joseph said:
Full color is a waste of time.  They'll just use it as an excuse to charge more money for the book, and it certainly doesn't make it any more fun to read.
But yes, they should fix Grimcleaver.  Grimcleaver, Dire Lance, and Daiklaive each need to be equally viable.  Grimcleaver should be damage focused, Dire Lance Speed and Defense focused, Daiklaive Accuracy and Rate focused.
Now that's something I can get behiind.

Why should a Spear be defense oriented?  If you are going for accuracy, Spears IRL have so little defensive value that a Direlance should probably have +0 or -1 defense.  Spears should have high Rate, you can jab and thrust with a spear much more than you can swing a sword.  So by Joseph's formula, I agree except switch Spears defense with Swords rate.

Spears IRL have so little defensive value that a Direlance should probably have +0 or -1 defense.
I think the main defensive value of a spear is that it keeps you farther away from your oponent than, say, a sword.

-S

Why should a Spear be defense oriented?  If you are going for accuracy' date=' Spears IRL have so little defensive value that a Direlance should probably have +0 or -1 defense.  Spears should have high Rate, you can jab and thrust with a spear much more than you can swing a sword.  So by Joseph's formula, I agree except switch Spears defense with Swords rate.[/quote']
Spears should be defense focused because:

1) A spear makes it harder to approach you, given your weapon has a longer reach.  This gives you a bit more time to mount a defense against each incoming attack.

2) The LENGTH of a spear gives you more surface with which to block an incoming attack than either a Daiklaive or a Grimcleaver has.  Given Dire Lances are made out of magical materials, the fact that the surface is much thinner doesn't matter, since it's not going to break.

Between these two, I think a properly used spear would have the better overall defense.  I also think it should have the lowest overall rate of any of the three, because I feel your vision of what it takes to thrust is inaccurate.

Try to understand the physics involved in thrusting vs slicing.  With a thrust, you stab forward.  If you hit,  you then have to pull back, again starting from zero momentum.  If you miss, you have to pull back even more, having to both counter your previous momentum, then initialize it in the opposite direction.  Then you have to do it AGAIN to thrust once more.  This is a lot of force shifting, AND you have to pull back far enough each time to get enough momentum for another good thrust, which isn't an inconsiderable distance.  

Thrusting effectively isn't as easy as you think, and I feel that leaves Dire Lance in a position to be slower than a Daiklaive.  You might effectively argue that Grimcleaver should be even slower, since it's chopping to Daiklaive's slicing and Dire Lance's thrusting, but I'm only talking about what each one should be best at.

The main defensive value of a spear is the fact that you can thrust repeatedly at ridiculous speed and in places far apart. As long as your opponent is busy fending off your spear he probably isn't busy attacking you.

Once you get past the reach of a spear things look much better - especially if you have the spear checked with a shield, an axe beard or a sword hilt. Moving your spear from a position where you can thrust repeatedly to a position very you can deflect blows takes some effort, can easily cost you the initiative, and will change your stance to be less offensive than before. More so if your opponent has contact with the spear.

Spears and staves are high-speed weapons. Their defensive value very much depends on the opposing weapon (not that this is a quality unique to spears or staves) but overall I wouldn't consider it to be above any other "standard" weapon.

There is the point that blocking becomes more feasible with a spear made of a Magical Material on account of its sturdyness. I don't know enough about the deflection and blocking potential of a spear to outright dispute this but I do know that ordinary wooden spears are quite capable of blocking incoming swords as they are (we're not talking unending direct blocks against full-on two-handed swings, but spears can block). A stronger spear can take more punishment, meaning a wider range of blocks/deflections available that would otherwise be harmful to it. I'm just not sure it's that much of a gain.

Wasn't it full color that ruined Changeling because they wouldn't produce enough for the demand claiming that it was to expensive to print.

Pretty = money, pretty not good when it is a book that i put on a table that might have soda, chips and all sort of stuff, inexpensive is best there incase i need to replace the book.

It also sucks that they are producing rules and charms and stuff in the comic books in order to make the comic books more attractive.  Why not just start a Dungeon magazine for Exalted it certainly sounds liek what they are doing to me.

They stopped using full color for Changeling VERY quickly.  I think only like 3 or 4 books actually had full color.

Both Editions of the Changeling corebook were in full color. Several supplements were as well, but I'm not sure how many. But no, the things that ruined Changeling were;

1) They named it "Changeling"

2) They made being grown up evil, and most of their audience is grown up

3) They made being white evil, and most of their audience is white

4) They made being okay with civilization and technology evil, and most of their audience... yeah, you know.

5) They couldn't decide if the Unseelie were evil or not.

6) Everything was centered around Europe. Even though White people are evil.

7) Nearly every supplement was poorly written and shoddily researched.

8) Y'know, I can't go on. There's too many to list. Suffice it to say that having color will not single-handedly turn Exalted into the next Changeling.

Please go on, Maryuoh. Other forums I go to give the impression that Changeling was some ultra-cool game White Wolf put out and didn't support enough (with the naked assertion that with adequate advertising and support, Changeling would have outsold Vampire and Werewolf).

Maryuoh said:
3) They made being white evil, and most of their audience is white
4) They made being okay with civilization and technology evil, and most of their audience... yeah, you know.
Werewolf did both of these things also, for the record.  As such, I don't think they are particularly participatory in this case.  Lots of the liberal types of who play White Wolf games are keen on both those features.

Maryuoh said:
6) Everything was centered around Europe. Even though White people are evil.
Adhene?  Hsien?  Nunnehi?  Eshu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back