Conclusion on What Interests Roleplayers

Newson

grant me eyes
(This is going to be a short post but a highly theoretical one!)

I have come to the conclusion, by spending many hours on the Interest Checks and One on One pages, about what people like the most. Here are just a few:

• Anything that involves the Seven Deadly Sins
  • Anything about being a badass, people love roleplays where you can actually be OP.
  • Interest Checks that use the BBcode beautifully.
  • School/Academy roleplays.
  • Anything by a Moderator or someone with a different colored name.

Just to name a few, any others that I missed?

[QUOTE="Vengeance Spirit]Zombie Apocalypse Roleplays.

[/QUOTE]
I was going to put that, but it is the topic in general with most people. Some Zombie roleplays do not make it if they do not use BBcode or have a uninteresting title.

Yaoi. Dear god, the Yoai. The extent to which gay people are fetishized is enough to make me look at it as a form of sexism.

What I find really funny is how you never see men doing Yuri RPs. The same sex romance phenomena seems to be almost exclusively done by young women, it's bizarre.

More on topic to the OP, while I didn't do a census of this site, I have been RPing for over half a decade, and have noticed several common RP types. Most noticeably:

Werewolf/Mage/Vampire RPs (very common during the Twilight scourge)

Superpower RPs (common these days, thanks to the movies)

Magic school RPs (very common during the Harry Potter days)

Dystopian future RPs (zombies, especially)

It is funny because men are always blamed for sexualizing lesbians in real life. Yet on the internet, its role reversal xD

In essence, however, Yaoi is a term mostly associated with male/male material that is written primarily by females, for the female audience.

Bara, on the other hand...

You missed "Any 'non-fandom' roleplay where you can get away with role playing an anime Character with a different name."

Bringing out the salt shakers, eh. I've been out of the loop for a long while, but when I jumped back into rp on another site I saw a lot of celebrity rp groups like out the wazzu. Maybe they've always been around I just never noticed (didn't want to notice). Are they big around here?

JayTee said:
What I find really funny is how you never see men doing Yuri RPs. The same sex romance phenomena seems to be almost exclusively done by young women, it's bizarre.
In other places, I've seen the exact reverse; two male players, and two lesbian characters. Female same-sex relationships between characters were more common than anything else, and male ones were practically unheard of. The majority of the players themselves were males, but that didn't really change anything, even though you might expect them to be afraid of being called "gay." I guess you just learned to focus on the character, and not who was playing them.

Not saying that I ever take part in shenanigans between lesbian characters. Well, I used to. Maybe a little. A lot. Still do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back