• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Complex BBCoding [Not "Shoppes"]

Fable

₮ⱧɆ ₥Ɏ₮Ⱨ, ₮ⱧɆ ⱠɆ₲Ɇ₦Đ, ₮ⱧɆ ₣₳฿ⱠɆ
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So, I fool around with CSS, and it's been a LONG time since I've messed with BBCode. Now I see some crazy mixture of code to affect the styling of basic BBCodes many forums use. While I've seen many "shoppes" offering to write the codes for me, I'd much rather learn myself, but I cannot locate resources beyond the BASIC of BBCodes (such as bg, color, alignment, etc) when I want to see how exactly the complex BBCodes function.

Does anyone have any posts regarding this type of information/tutorial?

:P Bbcode as we have it now is going away on the 8th of August and being replaced with a new system. I wouldn't even bother.

Fyuri said:
So, I fool around with CSS, and it's been a LONG time since I've messed with BBCode. Now I see some crazy mixture of code to affect the styling of basic BBCodes many forums use. While I've seen many "shoppes" offering to write the codes for me, I'd much rather learn myself, but I cannot locate resources beyond the BASIC of BBCodes (such as bg, color, alignment, etc) when I want to see how exactly the complex BBCodes function.
Does anyone have any posts regarding this type of information/tutorial?
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but bbcode is changing dramatically in the update on August 8th. It will all be through a text editor and there will be no more manual code aside from the basic stuff.

On another note, if you are still interested in learning anyway, I know some bbcode. Do you have an example of exactly how complex you are trying to go... If you are still interested in trying to learn?

Mordecai said:
:P Bbcode as we have it now is going away on the 8th of August and being replaced with a new system. I wouldn't even bother.
That's what I read somewhere else, but then I saw a thread regarding BBCODE 2.0 so I'm asuming BBCODE won't "go away" unless they've announced that somewhere I've not looked. Still pretty new to this site and it feels a bit disorganized to me in some ways. @_@

Fyuri said:
That's what I read somewhere else, but then I saw a thread regarding BBCODE 2.0 so I'm asuming BBCODE won't "go away" unless they've announced that somewhere I've not looked. Still pretty new to this site and it feels a bit disorganized to me in some ways. @_@
It's going away, from my understanding. Bbcode 2.0 is a whole bunch of people gathering around and ensuring all hard coding bbcode makes it to the new system.

DaughterofAthena said:
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but bbcode is changing dramatically in the update on August 8th. It will all be through a text editor and there will be no more manual code aside from the basic stuff.
On another note, if you are still interested in learning anyway, I know some bbcode. Do you have an example of exactly how complex you are trying to go... If you are still interested in trying to learn?
I'm always down to learn styling codes. :D I'm a weirdo like that, lol. As far as complex, I've seen an accordian tutorial at the BBCode Tea Shoppe where there was a { slide } ;

Code:
[bg=#ccdd88][border=0px solid #ccdd88][accordion=50%]{slide=left | [bg=#ccdd88][b][color=#778833][size=5]Text[/size][/color][/b][/bg]}[bg=#ccdd88]Blurb[/bg]{/slide}
[/accordion][/border][/bg]

BBcode is a language used for applying text effects on forums, the BB stands for Bulletin Board - the precursors to modern forums. The new forum software will used whitelisted (previously approved) HTML to apply text effects, which users can dictate via a GUI (graphical interface, aka buttons).

Mordecai said:
It's going away, from my understanding. Bbcode 2.0 is a whole bunch of people gathering around and ensuring all hard coding bbcode makes it to the new system.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay. Understandable since they put in a lot of time and effort in finding ways to create unique designs using BBCode. I'd be doing the same thing if I had coded a bunch of lovely things only to have it break with a site update... because I had that crap happen all the time on deviantArt when I used to be on that site.

If you are looking for a list of the BBCodes available (because it sounds like you've found our basic code list that talks about bold and strikethrough type stuff, rather than our BBCode Guide), this should help you. As others have said already, after our update on the 8th, there will be a new post editor that makes codes much more accessible. ^-^

welian said:
BBcode is a language used for applying text effects on forums, the BB stands for Bulletin Board - the precursors to modern forums. The new forum software will used whitelisted (previously approved) HTML to apply text effects, which users can dictate via a GUI (graphical interface, aka buttons).
Oooo, *twiddles fingers* HTML (well, more like CSS) is my thing. This makes me happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back