• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Come brutally judge my art.

Devious Dilbert

Double the D, double the fun.
(Posting on mobile. It's sucky.)

Hello fellow artists, Please judge a few of my art pieces and provide feedback. I may post more stuff in the future, maybe not. If you like what you see, tell me. And tell me how I can make it even better. Nitpick the hell out of it. Don't be afraid to. I haven't drawn in a while, and I don't do it often anymore like I used to, but I want to get my skill back and improve on it even more.

I'm gonna say it now before anybody else, LOL I KNOW MY HANDS ARE UGLY AS SHIT.

And one more thing, My photos have a high contrast effect on them because I draw very lightly so the originals might be too hard to even see.

First off-

Oc's of mine. For these, I'd like to know if my proportions are alright, and how well my shading is.

IMG_20170123_203232.jpg

This is Cereth Pavette. The hands are wonky, I know. The right arm looks a bit short, I know that too. ): Her right arm was supposed to be a bit extended back, but idk how to shade to represent that, LOL. I also shoulda been lighter on her cleavage tbh.

Another:

IMG_20170123_221047.jpg

Bad lighting, LOL. This was actually my very first oc, but I never used him in anything HAH. Anyway, this isn't done and likely will never be tbh, LOL. This was my first attempt at shading. I think I started this about two and a half years ago and I've been redrawing/adding to it ever since. One day, I'm just gonna redo the whole thing.

Misc, these are just for fun, HAH. But feel free to take a look at these too:

IMG_20170123_220021.jpg

This was actually about 2 or 3 years ago before I started drawing lighter.

IMG_20170123_220111.jpg

A tribute to Shadow of the colossus that I drew pretty recently. (: I took a break from trying to fake realism. I drew Wander about a year ago I think, if I care enough I'll post it too LOLOL.

Ah, that first drawing is actually bloody fantastic! Really, it's great. Though I agree, the right arm is odd, and the hand is just too wide. Ways to make it better? Show some creasing in the right shoulder to give it that 'folded' look, make the right arm slightly darker, to give it the farther away look, make the hand smaller. Shading is good overall, though yeah, the cleavage is a bit much for her size, but it's acceptable. The only other thing I'd do is darken the shading around her neck/behind her hair, it kind of throws off the position of your lighting otherwise. Also, I'd darken around the hair where it lays over her torso, just to ground it a bit.

Unfortunately, I'm no artist. I've got no clue if anything that I just said made sense, nor if it would look good. Keep up/get back into the good work, though! Looks great. I'd totally love to see more of the full character sketches!

Maybe even have one done? *Winkwinknudgenudge*

Ah, that first drawing is actually bloody fantastic! Really, it's great. Though I agree, the right arm is odd, and the hand is just too wide. Ways to make it better? Show some creasing in the right shoulder to give it that 'folded' look, make the right arm slightly darker, to give it the farther away look, make the hand smaller. Shading is good overall, though yeah, the cleavage is a bit much for her size, but it's acceptable. The only other thing I'd do is darken the shading around her neck/behind her hair, it kind of throws off the position of your lighting otherwise. Also, I'd darken around the hair where it lays over her torso, just to ground it a bit.

Unfortunately, I'm no artist. I've got no clue if anything that I just said made sense, nor if it would look good. Keep up/get back into the good work, though! Looks great. I'd totally love to see more of the full character sketches!

[SIZE= 11px]Maybe even have one done? *Winkwinknudgenudge*[/SIZE]

I appreciate any and all criticism/advice/praise/whatever. :smile4:  My shading isn't great, I know, LOL. But I'd try that out next time I do something else or if I ever come back to that particular drawing. I really appreciate the nitpicking and thanks for your share.  :smile4:

I'd definitely try to post even more :smile3:  It's just that finishing something can take hours of my time. o;

LOLOL, I wouldn't mind taking requests, but just one at a time. I've seen how people can get bombarded with them. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
(Posting on mobile. It's sucky.)

Hello fellow artists, Please judge a few of my art pieces and provide feedback. I may post more stuff in the future, maybe not. If you like what you see, tell me. And tell me how I can make it even better. Nitpick the hell out of it. Don't be afraid to. I haven't drawn in a while, and I don't do it often anymore like I used to, but I want to get my skill back and improve on it even more.

I'm gonna say it now before anybody else, LOL I KNOW MY HANDS ARE UGLY AS SHIT.

And one more thing, My photos have a high contrast effect on them because I draw very lightly so the originals might be too hard to even see.

First off-

Oc's of mine. For these, I'd like to know if my proportions are alright, and how well my shading is.

View attachment 241087

This is Cereth Pavette. The hands are wonky, I know. The right arm looks a bit short, I know that too. ): Her right arm was supposed to be a bit extended back, but idk how to shade to represent that, LOL. I also shoulda been lighter on her cleavage tbh.

Another:

View attachment 241115

Bad lighting, LOL. This was actually my very first oc, but I never used him in anything HAH. Anyway, this isn't done and likely will never be tbh, LOL. This was my first attempt at shading. I think I started this about two and a half years ago and I've been redrawing/adding to it ever since. One day, I'm just gonna redo the whole thing.

Misc, these are just for fun, HAH. But feel free to take a look at these too:

View attachment 241117

This was actually about 2 or 3 years ago before I started drawing lighter.

View attachment 241118

A tribute to Shadow of the colossus that I drew pretty recently. (: I took a break from trying to fake realism. I drew Wander about a year ago I think, if I care enough I'll post it too LOLOL.

although i am an artist, i agree this looks nice but it needs a lot of work. for the first picture, fix her proportions a bit and kinda make the arm go further back. the second one is decent so no change to that.

although i am an artist, i agree this looks nice but it needs a lot of work. for the first picture, fix her proportions a bit and kinda make the arm go further back. the second one is decent so no change to that.

Could you specify? What specifically do you think needs fixing other than the right arm? I also don't really know how to make it look like it is further back with the shading, Lord Mitmar already gave me some nice tips, but I'd also like to hear your perspective on how to make it look further back since you're an artist.  :smile4:

And thank you for your words.  :smile3:

I appreciate any and all criticism/advice/praise/whatever. :smile4:  My shading isn't great, I know, LOL. But I'd try that out next time I do something else or if I ever come back to that particular drawing. I really appreciate the nitpicking and thanks for your share.  :smile4:

I'd definitely try to post even more :smile3:  It's just that finishing something can take hours of my time. o;

LOLOL, I wouldn't mind taking requests, but just one at a time. I've seen how people can get bombarded with them. LOL

Anytime ^^ Every one of your drawings are far better than what I could accomplish, though I paint various miniatures, most Warhammer 40k, and that gives a really good perspective on how shading looks from various angles. It you don't mind putting down a few bucks I'd recommend getting some cheapo model to mess around with, paint it in a light tone and watch how the shadows fall. I may fire up Pixlr/GIMP/something and see if I can't get that shading under control, I can't draw to save my life, but I think I can handle this, maybe.

Of course, with somethnig so detailed that could easily destroy any free time you still have, which isn't cool >.>

Oh yeah, I've seen those threads to and it sure ain't pretty. 

Anytime ^^ Every one of your drawings are far better than what I could accomplish, though I paint various miniatures, most Warhammer 40k, and that gives a really good perspective on how shading looks from various angles. It you don't mind putting down a few bucks I'd recommend getting some cheapo model to mess around with, paint it in a light tone and watch how the shadows fall. I may fire up Pixlr/GIMP/something and see if I can't get that shading under control, I can't draw to save my life, but I think I can handle this, maybe.

Of course, with somethnig so detailed that could easily destroy any free time you still have, which isn't cool >.>

Oh yeah, I've seen those threads to and it sure ain't pretty. 

If you did that I'd honestly love it. ((;

Psssh. I'm really only good when you can't see the chest down, LOL. I may just have to look into getting some cheapo model tbh. My shading really does need work. xD

I really am wanting to get back into drawing though. It's something I've been doing too long to just give up. I used to do this thing with my girlfriend where I'd draw something everyday and show her, but that died down fast, HAH.

If you did that I'd honestly love it. ((;

Psssh. I'm really only good when you can't see the chest down, LOL. I may just have to look into getting some cheapo model tbh. My shading really does need work. xD

I really am wanting to get back into drawing though. It's something I've been doing too long to just give up. I used to do this thing with my girlfriend where I'd draw something everyday and show her, but that died down fast, HAH.

Aight, it's done. It'd be a hell of a lot prettier if I actually knew anything about art, and it'd work a lot better if I wasn't digitally editing a traditional sketch, which is always, pardon the pun, sketchy.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.46.58 AM.png

Anyway, most obvious thing; I've darkened the right arm's shadows (whether they were intentionally placed or just paper being inferior, I've got no bloody clue) admittedly more than I probably should have, but compromising somewhere between the two would probably look nice. Also, I significantly lowered the shading of her cleavage, though, again due to digital editing and my own hastiness in getting this stuff up, what little I darkened actually looks far sharper now >.>

Also, I attempted to use Pixlr's rather shoddy spot heal tool, it gave her a cool prison tattoo at least.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.44.25 AM.png

That sounds like a load of drawing, take of that what you will, I guess :smile4:  

Aight, it's done. It'd be a hell of a lot prettier if I actually knew anything about art, and it'd work a lot better if I wasn't digitally editing a traditional sketch, which is always, pardon the pun, sketchy.

View attachment 241307

Anyway, most obvious thing; I've darkened the right arm's shadows (whether they were intentionally placed or just paper being inferior, I've got no bloody clue) admittedly more than I probably should have, but compromising somewhere between the two would probably look nice. Also, I significantly lowered the shading of her cleavage, though, again due to digital editing and my own hastiness in getting this stuff up, what little I darkened actually looks far sharper now >.>

Also, I attempted to use Pixlr's rather shoddy spot heal tool, it gave her a cool prison tattoo at least.

That sounds like a load of drawing, take of that what you will, I guess :smile4:  

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this!!  :smile4:  It does a little dark, LOL, but yeah, somewhere in between mine and yours is where I need to be. It also outlines her hand and forearm, which is also what I probably need to do. I also need to add some shade around her jacket thing too and do the other things you suggested. I'll probably touch the drawing up when I get home, LOL.

Again, thanks a lot for that.  :smile4:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this!!  :smile4:  It does a little dark, LOL, but yeah, somewhere in between mine and yours is where I need to be. It also outlines her hand and forearm, which is also what I probably need to do. I also need to add some shade around her jacket thing too and do the other things you suggested. I'll probably touch the drawing up when I get home, LOL.

Again, thanks a lot for that.  :smile4:

Eh, it took like twelve seconds, don't mention it, I actually spent more time fumbling between programs deciding which one would work better for such a high resolution image, and yeah, after taking a step back it's certainly too dark. Though to be fair, it gives a nice contrast to the weirdly light right side of the page :smile4:  Yay, more shading. At least that'll be new shading?

More Art  :smile8:

Draw hand in art class

IMG_20170125_075337.jpg

Used my own hands as reference LOL

For an idea of how light I draw:

IMG_20170125_183824.jpg

They actually aren't finished. Well, this one is probably. I'm gonna decorate the other one too.

(Dragons and ghosties. Not really sure how that goes together)

First off-

View attachment 241087

My only problem with this is the proportion of the right arm. It's shorter than the left one, I can see you were trying to get an angle for it, but it doesn't really look like that, maybe some further shading as well as emphasis to show its distance could help to portray that. Cuz showing distance on a flat image can be odd to the eye without the proper shading to accentuate that distance. Other than that you're an amazing artist!

My only problem with this is the proportion of the right arm. It's shorter than the left one, I can see you were trying to get an angle for it, but it doesn't really look like that, maybe some further shading as well as emphasis to show its distance could help to portray that. Cuz showing distance on a flat image can be odd to the eye without the proper shading to accentuate that distance. Other than that you're an amazing artist!

Yes, I'm trying to work on that  :smile4:  I don't really know how to shade that though LOL. The lighting that I have set up for it is kinda weird and I'm also timid with my shading tbh. I don't like heavy shading haaah.

Thank you so much.  :smile4:  I hope to keep improving even more.

Thanks for your words.  :smile3:

Yes, I'm trying to work on that  :smile4:  I don't really know how to shade that though LOL. The lighting that I have set up for it is kinda weird and I'm also timid with my shading tbh. I don't like heavy shading haaah.

Thank you so much.  :smile4:  I hope to keep improving even more.

Thanks for your words.  :smile3:

If I may offer a little shading tip, circular movements are your friends, go light at first and add darkness where it needs to be darkened. Picture her arm as yours, how would the light look on your arm if you were in that position? Sometimes it actually helps to put our arm like that too XP look at the darkness, and use that

If I may offer a little shading tip, circular movements are your friends, go light at first and add darkness where it needs to be darkened. Picture her arm as yours, how would the light look on your arm if you were in that position? Sometimes it actually helps to put our arm like that too XP look at the darkness, and use that

Thanks for tip  :smile3:  I'll try using my arm as a reference, but the lighting differences might be weird, lol.  :smile4:

Haha try your best to simulate the lighting as much as you could, or try to picture it in your head, like close your eyes and pretend your in front of a mirror with the lighting coming the same direction as it is in your drawing, what does the shadow on your arm look like?

Make sure you stimulate lighting and well as your shadowing this will bring out a more 3D relistic look, just by giving a bit of highlights on your point features like cheek bones, jaw lines, chin point, nose bridge, forehead and Exedra. Just like a women's make up we want to lighten certin areas. The right lighting will also allow you to  soften otherwise harsh lines, (like the shoulders and arms) and give a less rigged look. It's not a problem if you plan on adding color later on because you can do that then and as your blend in color. But for grey scale like in graphite or charcoal keep track of the  lighting highlights, and shading lowlights , as you go.

I think there is a maniqine doll online that you can manipulate in different angles for different actions as well as lighting shadowing it's a great tool to download if you have difficulty with visualizations like this 

Make sure you stimulate lighting and well as your shadowing this will bring out a more 3D relistic look, just by giving a bit of highlights on your point features like cheek bones, jaw lines, chin point, nose bridge, forehead and Exedra. Just like a women's make up we want to lighten certin areas. The right lighting will also allow you to  soften otherwise harsh lines, (like the shoulders and arms) and give a less rigged look. It's not a problem if you plan on adding color later on because you can do that then and as your blend in color. But for grey scale like in graphite or charcoal keep track of the  lighting highlights, and shading lowlights , as you go.

I'm far from being able to shade everything as realistically as I can, LOL. I have absolutely no experience with shading, haha. I draw very small, so it's actually kind of hard to shade the more detailed areas like faces when I draw body portraits.  :smile8:  However, I'm working on being able to do that.  :smile4:  Rigid lines... yeah, those'll still be around for a while, LOL.

(Picture two is a close up that focused on the face, so that was what I mainly focused on. The shading on there I don't think is too bad, but I mean- that's just my own perspective. It's also unfinished so... there's also that. Picture one... I don't even know, LOL.)

I can't color for shit, LOL. So sadly, no color will be added to any of my drawings. xD Maybe later on, as in like a few years from now, LOL. For now, it'll all just be grey scale, so yeah- I'll try to keep track of my lighting.  :smile4:

I think there is a maniqine doll online that you can manipulate in different angles for different actions as well as lighting shadowing it's a great tool to download if you have difficulty with visualizations like this 

Do you know what it's called?  :smile8:  If not, I could probably just abuse google because that seems very helpful.  :smile4:

Art Update :smile8:

Fixing the problem:

IMG_20170125_193947.jpg

Touched up her left eye a bit. Now it's not smaller than the right. (((:

Different right hand position. Added shade under her bust and shade around her jacket. Made her hair a bit fuller (Added shadow?). Added more shade around her neck.

Considering (Will most likely tbh) making her left hand smaller as well as making the whole arm a bit shorter. AND GENERALLY SHORTENING THE RIGHT FOREARM (By moving the hand slightly higher) CUZ OH GOD. Still need to redraw the wrinkles on her shirt and add the little triangles to her wrist tattoo. (What a coincidence that the tattoo matches the pattern on her mantle thing amiright)

I started to  learn shading and highlights just by taking a rather shapely fruit like and apple or pair. Or take a skull and sit down on a table for a long session darken the room using a lamp or 2 as the light sorce and going for it. many circles, and spheres later and doing the same object at different angles it just clicks with practice. I do  suggest drawing larger portaits if you want to dive into explicit details. I promise it will save you a lot of frustration. 

Shade in light soft circles  erase for highlights and blend and agained in circular motion  continue, gaining as you go.  Remember, you want to decide your light source point from the beginning the more direct a highpoint is to the light sorce the lighter that point should be, and the farthest should be  darker how ever there is a slight light trick to use when your shading  a dark edge I call it a mirror effect just because I'm dumb and forgot it's called  the reflective  light before I  just looked it up just now hahah, and which is just a very thin line of light along the inner edge between the  core shadow and casting shadow.

download (1).jpg

I started to  learn shading and highlights just by taking a rather shapely fruit like and apple or pair. Or take a skull and sit down on a table for a long session darken the room using a lamp or 2 as the light sorce and going for it. many circles, and spheres later and doing the same object at different angles it just clicks with practice. I do  suggest drawing larger portaits if you want to dive into explicit details. I promise it will save you a lot of frustration. 

Shade in light soft circles  erase for highlights and blend and agained in circular motion  continue, gaining as you go.  Remember, you want to decide your light source point from the beginning the more direct a highpoint is to the light sorce the lighter that point should be, and the farthest should be  darker how ever there is a slight light trick to use when your shading  a dark edge I call it a mirror effect just because I'm dumb and forgot it's called  the reflective  light before I  just looked it up just now hahah, and which is just a very thin line of light along the inner edge between the  core shadow and casting shadow.

View attachment 242083

My first attempt at shading was the second picture in my first post. I used my own face for reference, LOL. (People say the picture looks like me because I relied so heavily on my own face when I was drawing it, HAH.) But really other than that, I've never really paid attention to shading in a drawing so it's still really hard for me at the moment because only now am I trying to do it again. );

I've just always drawn small tbh. Drawing large is really frustrating to me personally.  :smile8:  It's likely because I'm just used to it. I shouldn't say that it's hard- It's more that I could do some really intense detail work, but I'm just scared that I'll mess up the whole picture, LOL. And I'm trying to break out of my timidness when it comes to shading, but very slowly  :smile4:

Somebody earlier also said that circular motions were gonna be my best friend, lol.  :smile4:

You have a lot of experience with shading and I really appreciate your words.  :smile4:  Thank you so much for the tips/advice, and that sphere is godly by the way. <3

Haha that isn't mine I grabbed that from goggle because my arts aren't alreadily available at moment. But my profile that is definitely mine

But graphite and charcoal is my favorite median traditional color pencil or warcolor paints  would be close second lol. I only recently started working with digital same ideas apply how ever it's just different tricks and techniques and more importantly tools. 

But graphite and charcoal is my favorite median traditional color pencil or warcolor paints  would be close second lol. I only recently started working with digital same ideas apply how ever it's just different tricks and techniques and more importantly tools. 

I really like digital art, but I think traditionally coloring in my stuff would be easier for me if I were to pick it up.

I used to try to color in my drawings digitally, but I kinda gave up on that, LOL. I'd love to try it again though. It was just really hard to color in my work the way I wanted it to look xD I used Sai- maybe it was just the program that wasn't working out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back