Other coding frustration

ewolf20

the aspiring roleplayer
Now I know now you guys feel. 

Coding, quite frankly, is one of the hardest things that I've done in quite a while. But, the reason it's so hard, is because of this. The thing I'm doing the coding in the first place. Now, before anyone of you jump on me, I like this feature, and I understand the purpose of it. It was meant for the sole purpose of making your post look "nice" (note how I use air quotes). I understand the reason behind it, yet, the problem lies in it being harder in some areas. You see, last time, I was trying to figure out a way to code my scrollbars in but I accidently changed the scrollbars on the site, too. 

I asked someone what was going on and they said it might be because I haven't specified the name of it. As so as I'm told, I did what they said but it didn't do anything. After trial and error, I came to the conclusion that it just doesn't work for me. I'm well aware that I'm not well versed in complex things such as this. Thus, I understand that it's my problem rather than the code I integrate. So maybe I just haven't learned enough to do this.

Which now brings me to this. Is coding for you as frustrating as some make it out to be or does it depend on the person. And, if it does depend on the person, for how long does one, on average, teach themselves to learn it. It’s pretty much a common truth that it takes time, effort, and patience to master it. This might come in handy if you're making a site, but when it's some post on the forum, not so much.

Note: By no circumstance, am I having issues with the source editor. I have yet to find actual, clear, easy tutorials that apply to situations like these, and the simpler ones have only given me the bare bones of it. And yes, this was all about the whole scrollbar thing. I'm sorry but I had to say it.                                                                                                                                                     

oh, sorry for bringing you in. 

13 minutes ago, The Outcast said:

Talk to @veranda 

Shit spelled it worng 

who was it that you were trying to spell out?

Have you tried the links you were provided in your other topic? It looks like people were trying to help you.

I have been learning html and css for about a couple of years, and I barely feel comfortable doing it. Practicing on forums like this is probably a good start to studying html. You'll probably find the solution to your problem soon enough and you'll want to break everything in the room on how simple it was.

In this case, I wished the site used bbcode instead of html. It irks me that sometimes the html breaks the website and extends to one side of the page. bbcode is easier to learn and is designed for forums so it doesn't break it.

What exactly are you trying to do with scrollbars?

Also as a pro-tip from a mobile user when making your div styles I recommend adding in a max-width

<div style="max-width:500px; padding:20px;">

blah blah blah blah text goes here

</div>

What max-width does is it makes it so that on smaller screens the text automatically shrinks in margin so that you don't have this random bit of text that stretches the page. 

Now if your trying to hide the scrollbar so it doesn't show up 

If your trying to change the color of the scrollbar @Fyuri knows how to do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back