• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Help Code question

Cold Ramen Noodles

This account is closed.
I was reading the post regarding how anyone can use any person's code that is posted on the site so long as credit is given.

What are the specifics? Is proper credit different for each individual depending on what they ask for?

Generally it is up to the coder to decide how they want to be credited it, whether through a comment tag or explicit tag in full display.

If someone is using a code without credit/permission, the coder can ask them to apply credit. If they don’t comply after the request, a report may be made to staff and we’ll handle it.

If the original coder provided the code in something like a code tag without credit, you may use it without credit. If there was no such form and it is instead a code obtained through the reply/quote method, where the code had no credit in it originally, it may also be used without credit.

That said, while we probably would not accept a report where the credit to the original code was added after the code had been copied and had gone live, it is probably safer to add in a comment tag providing credit. That way, in case the user returns, due credit would already have been given. Should the user have any complaints, they should file a report and we’ll look into the validity of their request.

I'm just asking all of this because I plan on starting to do my own coding soon and want to know what rights I have regarding codes I create and share.

Does permission need to be asked ahead of time? And what about those posts in the BBCode center that say not to use their codes? Are they still available to be used?

A request for permission to use is up to the coder. It is general etiquette to ask beforehand if they haven’t provided the code in plain format yet. That being said, staff is not able to enforce any actions when the code is used without permission. We will only enforce actions when credit is not given where it should be.

BBcode has always been a Creative Commons, so code may be used even if the coder has explicitly said not to use it. Again, we’ll only enforce actions regarding credit. If a coder does not wish for a code to be publicly used, it shouldn’t be up on a thread.

Generally, any complaints should be discussed between the coder and the user before coming to the staff. Coders retain the right to credit in their requested form, but it is also up to the coder to remember to hard code credit into the code.

No problem!

While it may seem like we coders don’t have many rights, we are still the ones coding it. Those who use our codes acknowledge the expertise we have that they don’t. They won’t become us just because they have our code.

Sorry to bring this up again, but are most people aware of this? I keep seeing people in the coding center posting, "Free to use," and things like that. If they're all free to use anyway, then why do so many people post things like that?

Unfortunately it was not widely known before (and even after still) D.Wiz made the announcement. I too was at fault for this. Well, for the most part, those who restrict their code had to rely on an honor system and trust that people didn't steal them.

The way I look at them now is "Free to Use" and "Discouraged from Using," if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back