• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy [CLOSED] [GMed] The Black Ravine Hunt

VioletShadow

The Lunar Fae
"A deafening roar resounded throughout the continent, causing even the most powerful knights to tremble in fear. It's sheer volume almost made it impossible to tell it's source, save for the tremors beneath the very earth we stood on. Colossal cities fell that day, sucked into the terrifying abyss we now call the Black Ravine."
-King Eltor of the Chubic Kingdom

Scenario:
The Eadigia Empire and the Chubic Kingdom have been at war for decades now. Their best soldiers have been slain, their omnipotent mages are no more, and their resources have been severely depleted. When mind-shattering tremors shake the earth, and the ground rips apart before the citizens very eyes, revealing an endless chasm. A hurried truce is formed, as tar-black monsters pour out from its depths. Both sides know full well they do not have enough supplies to fend off the endless flow of demons, so they quickly form a collective team of various beings, and order them to search for the source of these creatures, and end it before it's too late.

Info:

As you might be able to tell, this is more of an explorative fantasy roleplay, where your characters will delve into the unknown depths of the Black Ravine, aiming to somehow end the never-ending flow of man-eating creatures. Be warned I will not be accepting any particularly powerful characters, as they should have been slain already during the war. There will still be plenty of opportunities for character interaction, development and of course action. I will be GMing this roleplay whilst narrating various events and scenarios, and not be creating a 'main' character(will control most NPCs tho).

If enough are interested, then I'll start developing some lore. If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

Rules:​

• No godmodding or OP characters(I will enforce this)
  • Respect each other
  • 1+ paragraphs per post(6 sentences/lines+)
  • Post 1+ per week(Tell me if otherwise)
  • Can only post after at least two other people have posted after your last post

Last edited:
I'm interested and have a few questions.

How much time has passed since the Black Ravine opened up? Is that catastrophe still fresh in everyone's mind or have they had months (years?) to build defenses around the perimeter and try (and fail, obviously,) to stop the monsters? Also, is this the first such expedition or have people tried this before and got killed / gone missing?

When you said their "omnipotent mages are no more" does that mean all mages have been wiped out, or just the absurdly powerful ones? I suspect you meant the former, because the premise definitely sounds magical. But I figured I'd ask anyway, to be sure. Also, what is the level of technology here? Are firearms and steam power a thing or are we in medieval times? Or the future?

And, last but not least, I'd like more information on the Empire and the Kingdom, but I guess you're working on that, so I'll just patiently wait here and stop pestering you with questions.

I'm interested and have a few questions.

How much time has passed since the Black Ravine opened up? Is that catastrophe still fresh in everyone's mind or have they had months (years?) to build defenses around the perimeter and try (and fail, obviously,) to stop the monsters? Also, is this the first such expedition or have people tried this before and got killed / gone missing?

When you said their "omnipotent mages are no more" does that mean all mages have been wiped out, or just the absurdly powerful ones? I suspect you meant the former, because the premise definitely sounds magical. But I figured I'd ask anyway, to be sure. Also, what is the level of technology here? Are firearms and steam power a thing or are we in medieval times? Or the future?

And, last but not least, I'd like more information on the Empire and the Kingdom, but I guess you're working on that, so I'll just patiently wait here and stop pestering you with questions.
That's not a 'few' questions! xD But I don't mean that in a negative way, I'm glad you're asking them, it shows that you're curious and somewhat invested in my idea ^^

I initally came up with the idea on the spot and decided to give a simple premise to see if people were interested first of all, so yes I have not fleshed out this idea fully. I was also hoping that this would be more of a casual roleplay, where I don't create pages of lore for people to have to sift through. But, I'll answer your questions as best I can. (I'm on my phone so I can't format this in an easy to read structure, my apologies. I will edit it in the morning.)

1. The Black Ravine opened up a few months ago, in the event known as The Black Quake, named due to the land being literally covered by these dark creatures.
2. They have tried to build defences, but quickly realized that these creatures were extremely adaptable. They piled on top of each other to pass the highest walls, sacrificed each other to ram through defences, used bodies as shields etc. Some also appear to be quickly growing new attributes, e.g claws for scaling buildings, hardened scales on their heads for ramming etc.
3. This is the first expedition.
4. Just the absurdly powerful ones, the mages that everyone knew and relied on for defence and various other duties. So yes magic is most definitely an option.
5. The technological level is up for debate, but I'm leaning towards purely medieval. I love some gud archers afterall.
6.The Empire and the Kingdom are definitely subjects of lore I've thought about, but I think it'd be the most fun to involve you guys in that particular part of world building. Do you have any ideas for them by any chance? If I don't get any input over the next day or so, I'll flesh it out myself ^^

Ooohhh, this looks interesting!

I was thinking of playing an apprentice hunter / ranger for a group in the Chubic Kingdom. Say, special group of archers who's deployed with the army and can still fight in the front lines if necessary.

But of course, she's still an apprentice and doesn't have the level of skill her master had so she's pretty much just an archer who can dodge a lot as of now.

Ooohhh, this looks interesting!

I was thinking of playing an apprentice hunter / ranger for a group in the Chubic Kingdom. Say, special group of archers who's deployed with the army and can still fight in the front lines if necessary.

But of course, she's still an apprentice and doesn't have the level of skill her master had so she's pretty much just an archer who can dodge a lot as of now.
I love the idea! And thank you for keeping the characters level of skill not too high ^^

I'll be sure to include that in the Chubic Kingdoms lore, feel free to name that archer group and flesh it out further if you'd like to. I'll probably add some history to it too later on ^^

I love the idea! And thank you for keeping the characters level of skill not too high ^^

I'll be sure to include that in the Chubic Kingdoms lore, feel free to name that archer group and flesh it out further if you'd like to. I'll probably add some history to it too later on ^^

Thank you! I'll probably flesh it out more once I get cracking on her History part once you send over the CS.

Plutia Plutia Do you mean using an anime picture as a reference? If so, yes.
If you mean using the actual anime characters from animes and such, that's not allowed here, you should head to the fandoms page for that ^^

Hellooo! I saw this, and I am interested!

..that was a harebrained beginning. Ah, well.

So, I am interested in this RP, as I said earlier. I love the concepts. Just a couple of questions:
1.) Technology level: I know you said you were leaning more towards medieval...but what about a (LIGHT) steampunk flavor? Clockworks (and the like) and flintlock pistols? Perhaps this steampunk is augmented by magic? I dunno.

2.) The Monsters under the Bed: Well, crack, really. Anyhow, what are these creatures like? Are they like the elder mythos from HP Lovecraft? (And to a lesser degree, Warhammer?) (As in, no hope for humaniy? XD) Are they like demons from many anime? Are they devils? (DIFFERENCE HERE! Demons are Chaotic Evil. Devils are Lawful Evil. This alignment difference makes them act differently!) Or are they something more sinister?

3.) While I mentioned Anime and Demons... -cough cough- Sorry, I have to pursue this idea. If they (Black Monsters) are this, any humanoid ones? Are they restricted to doing only evil acts, or is it like Dark Elves in D&D, where their culture makes them evil, and they are not inherently evil? This question can be discarded, though.

Hellooo! I saw this, and I am interested!

..that was a harebrained beginning. Ah, well.

So, I am interested in this RP, as I said earlier. I love the concepts. Just a couple of questions:
1. Ah unfortunately I have already confirmed my decision on that matter, which is purely medieval. Although your suggestions would have been interesting, it is too late now. It wouldn't be fair to those that have already created their character sheets based on the setting I gave them ^^

2.)

3.) While I mentioned Anime and Demons... -cough cough- Sorry, I have to pursue this idea. If they (Black Monsters) are this, any humanoid ones? Are they restricted to doing only evil acts, or is it like Dark Elves in D&D, where their culture makes them evil, and they are not inherently evil? This question can be discarded, though.

1. Ah unfortunately I have already confirmed my decision on that matter, which is purely medieval. Although your suggestions would have been interesting, it is too late now. It wouldn't be fair to those that have already created their character sheets based on the setting I gave them ^^

2. Erm I have no knowledge of the demons from those franchises, nor the 'definitions' that you gave devils and demons. The man-eating demons I had thought of come in many different shapes and sizes, but the vast majority of them have thick, slightly shiny, leathery skin. They would outpower a simple peasant in a fight with no equipment. They have gaping mouths with almost constantly bared fangs, but that has usually been their main and only weapon, apart from thin leg and arm like appendages. But scarily quickly, they are beginning to adapt to their surroundings, which is explained in my above post. About their level of sentience; they are quite dumb at the moment, apart from their adaptable nature. They rely on brute force to try and hunt every humanoid they can see.

Gah I need to add this to the lore too!

Ah, well. I can be an Arcane Knight. Or something along that line that's less powered.
Sounds interesting! If you'd like a better feel for the power level of the characters atm, feel free to check out the character sheets that have already been submitted ^^

Looking forward to seeing your character ^^ Captain Spooks Captain Spooks You too of course ;3 xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back