• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern City Living

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"Yeah, I think small people are probably better at ice skating," Cara said, agreeing with Chanel. She had played sports growing up, but nothing that ever really stuck with her. Over the years she had been enrolled in a plethora of extracurricular activities. Soccer, swimming, lacrosse, field hockey, gymnastics, dance, tennis, basketball... she had been forced to give almost everything a try. At a young age, she realized that it was essentially only because her father needed something for her to do on Sundays when her nannies typically had off. She had been fairly decent at tennis and still was, but she never had the drive to treat it as something she ever wanted to be competitive at. It was something that was a leisurely activity, and nothing more. Sports were never really her thing, and in the truth of it all, it probably related back to her issues with authority. She disliked coaches yelling at her, or being required to show up to practices if she wanted to play in the games. Being told what to do always rubbed her the wrong way, even in this as meaningless as child's sports. "We can go sometime before they close for the winter, though," she confirmed. She hoped that she would keep that promise. Even if she was trying to distance herself from being too giving towards Holly and Makayla, she wasn't cruel enough to want to lie or break a promise. Plus, even just a few minutes with Holly reminded Cara that she enjoyed the girl's company. Maybe not now, in particular, because she wasn't in the best of moods to begin with, but it was an overall feeling.

"Both of my parents were blonde and tall," she confirmed with a nod. "My dad's hair is grey now, though." She was tempted to ask Holly what her mother looked like, simply because it seemed fit to return the question, but she also didn't want to know. She knew some random tidbits about Holly's upbringing, like how her mother was in jail, that she had lived in the Bronx, and that wherever she had lived had been disgusting enough to have roaches, but she never pried, mostly because she knew that knowing that Holly had lived a poor life would make her uncomfortable. It was safer, or at least more comfortable, to remain in a bubble of ignorance.

As they pulled up to their apartment building, Cara spotted Makayla standing outside. "All right, Holl, we'll see you later," she said stepping out of the car so that Holly could slide out from the seat in the middle. She wasn't sure if they were expected to get out too and explain the situation to Makayla more in depth, but if that was the case, Cara was handling that responsibility to Chanel, because she slid back into the warm car once Holly had stepped out.

tumblr_mhogi5eiky1s4uvkso1_500.gif
"5'7 is still tall!" Holly corrected Chanel, in an almost defensive manner. She had seen Chanel's family before, but unlike Chanel, whose height was something that Holly had used to define her, she hadn't chosen to pick those things up with the girl's family. She had only seen them for brief amounts of time, so the excitement of it all allowed her to focus on other things, and though she could picture them in her head, it wasn't in a completely visual manner. She had never seen Cara's parents though. Not even in pictures, she thought. Since men were always less interesting to her than women, she was more interested in knowing what Cara's mother looked like. Surprisingly, she reminded herself that Makayla had warned her months ago not to ask questions about Cara's mother since she was dead, so she didn't. That wasn't to say that she would heed that same warning in the future, but for now, she kept her mouth shut on the manner. Just in general, Holly liked hearing about other people's families though. Even though you wouldn't be able to tell, she liked hearing about those kinds of things more than she liked talking herself. Traditional families intrigued her. She imagined that the perfect family was one with a mom and a dad, a sibling or two, and definitely a dog. They would live in a cute house in the suburbs, and they would own a minivan and have barbecues in the summer.

She was definitely expressive in her displeasure when they pulled up to the apartments, because she was disappointed that her time with the girls was coming to an end. "Okay," she said, the sadness present in her tone as she stepped out of the car and into the cold February air. "If you have free time this week and you want to come over, you can! I'll be home! And you can help me and Chanel plan our Valentine's Day party!"[ she said to Cara, before stepping onto the curb and heading towards Makayla. "They're going to Trader Joe's," she said, feeling like that was more appropriate than a traditional greeting. "Chanel wanted me to go with them but Cara said no since you wanted me to come home," she explained.

#db0083

With every gust of wind that blew by, Makayla’s anger seemed to double. Every minute that passed, it tripled. She was pissed. She wasn’t trying to play the “woe is me” card, because she recognized how Cara and Chanel and the boys probably perceived this as being her fault. She was the one who was dumb enough to think that Holly could complete one simple task on her own. She deserved this. She was sure that they assumed that she did this frivolously, as if it literally wasn’t an act of desperation, something that would in turn literally predict her future. Holly had proven that she couldn’t even attempt to follow directions, so now Makayla was probably going to have to either look like a fool by asking for another accommodation from her internship site, and probably get rejected, or just drop out of school, and accepted that she was destined to be poor and uneducated in life. Maybe it seemed like an overreaction, but this was just the perfect example of Makayla's luck. She could put in all of the effort that she was capable of putting in to make things go right, and they would still go wrong. Completely wrong. What was the point in trying?

Makayla was leaning against the side of the building, a few feet away from the door, staring stoically at the street. She was only half present mentally; the other half numb and somewhere else, likely as a mechanism of self-preservation. She didn't know what kind of car to look for anyway, so she only realized that the girls were there when Holly stepped out of a car that was double parked on the street and came towards her. The casualness of her tone shouldn't have been surprising. She was just as oblivious as she always was. To Holly, everything was a game. Right now, Makayla couldn't see any pros in that, but in a clearer state of mind, she would have admitted that it was Holly's obliviousness that had allowed her to survive through the many travesties she had faced in life. Now, however, all Makayla wanted to do was smack her for being so fucking stupid. And she did. She didn't care that they were in public, or that Chanel and Cara's car was still there. Holly was stupid, and she deserved a lot more than a smack on the head for it. "Do yourself a favor and don't say another fucking word, Holly. I asked you to do one god damn thing. One fucking thing, and you couldn't even do it. Are you stupid? Are you really that fucking stupid?" She grabbed the girl by the hood of her jacket, absolutely uncaring regarding how unnecessarily rough she may have been as she pulled her inside of their building and upstairs.

"Bye, girly," Chanel said with a small wave and innocent smile, trying to pretend she didn't already know that she would likely need to iron a black dress tonight in preparation for the girl's memorial service tomorrow. She didn't even feel like going to Trader's anymore, but she really didn't have anywhere else to go. It wasn't like she could just go back to her apartment since Holly was clearly going to be in a lot of trouble and the two probably needed their space. "If she's not done murdering her by the time I get back, know I'm inviting myself to your place. Is there anything Holly is actually afraid of?" Chanel asked, not necessarily to Cara directly, but rather speaking out loud. The girl was so clueless, which could be good a bad. Good because it meant she had a natural curiosity to things, and being curious was always great because it led to trying new things. But on the other end, it meant be blindly stupid. Having a sense of fear was there for a reason, but the girl just seemed oblivious to danger. Outside of something predictable and normal like bugs or ghosts, she wondered what really frightened the girl. Although Makayla right now was probably first on that list.

"I don't think I've ever met your dad, have I?" Chanel asked as the car pulled off. She wasn't sure if that was weird or not given their relationship, but it didn't really seem as obligatory as when you were dating a person. The thought brought her back to her conversation with Collin earlier, just before Cara came. After today, she was keen on just staying inside under some blankets and avoiding any drama, but she also knew this was probably the easiest and best opportunity to bring it up before she forgot. "Speaking of which. When I was talking to your brother he said your dad was having some special dinner to go to that you were a little suicidal over?" Chanel looked over at Cara giving her a knowing glance that she was sure Collin would pay for later over revealing Cara's melodramatic text to her. "You know, if you need moral support, or just a token black friend, I'm always here to talk you off a ledge. Or to help hide a body. I should probably stop talking about homicide so much, shouldn't I?" The Uber driver wasn't being conspicuously nosy, but they weren't having a secret conversation either. But too many murder jokes in front of a stranger probably gave off a weird impression. "I mean, parents do love me, but I guess it can't be that bad, right?" Knowing Cara, the chances of it being that serious were slim to none, but she still wanted to ask in hopes of getting more details on what was happening, though she kind of got the gist from Collin, she didn't want it known that he was blabbering that much. He was relatively tight lipped anyway, so it would seem especially strange for him to go jabbering on to his friend's sister like that.

"Okay," Cara replied simply but softly, before Holly headed over to Makayla. Cara was already sliding back into the car then, missing the way that Makayla not-so-pleasantly greeted her sister, in the process of getting settled into her seat once again. While she was sure that Makayla was going to blame Holly for this and be upset with her, she didn't think that she would actually hurt her, so it was a good thing that she had missed the preliminary treatment that would probably be followed up with harsher aggression once they were not in public. While Cara would understand, to an extent, Makayla's frustration, she was certain that Makayla was the one in the wrong in this situation. Anyone with a brain would know that Holly couldn't be expected to get home on her own. Even just thinking back to Disney - one example of the many that would support this - the girl wasn't even capable of waiting outside of a bathroom for thirty seconds without distracting herself enough to run off... and that was with a bunch of them right in the general vicinity. Asking her to get from point A to point B on her own, in the middle of New York City was essentially a suicide mission. She didn't feel like that all needed to be explained to Chanel, though, because it seemed obvious at this point, though she didn't object or comment on the girl's insistence that she come over if Makayla was still worked up over the situation once they were done shopping.

"It's only nearly suicide-worthy because of the history," Cara justified, in a tone that suggested that Chanel was judging her unfairly, even though Chanel hadn't come into the conversation with any tone that suggested that. Needless to say, this was a subject that had a lot of history to it, and it was a subject that Cara held strong opinions on. "My dad is throwing a birthday party for his wife, and for some reason, he expects me- and an adult with rights and civil liberties and all of that- to attend said party, even though I would run that woman over with a car if I had the chance," she explained in a matter-of-fact manner. "If you're in the mood for sushi and drama, you're more than welcome," she said a beat later, offering a more knowing (and guilty) smile, hinting that she knew that she probably sounded dramatic. Dramatic, maybe, but she was being no more dramatic than she was being honest. She didn't think that Chanel had met her father, but that wasn't entirely shocking given how much her father worked, and more specifically, how much Cara tried to distance herself socially and emotionally from the man. "The only plus is that it's at Nobu," she offered. Nobu was a classically trendy spot in the city, and because she had enough good, non-family related memories there, she didn't dread that aspect of it, at least. Thinking about it reminded her of Chanel's secretive little plans for tonight though, since she automatically assumed that the girl was going on a date. "If tonight's date is cute enough that you don't think I'll judge you all night, you can bring him tomorrow too," she offered with a smirk.

"Annnnhhh!" Chanel exclaimed, mimicking a buzzer before laughing some. Chanel couldn't actually explain why Cara's suggestion was a no go across the board, but she couldn't just totally evade the subject it seemed. It seemed easier to run with the idea that it was a date after all, and just tweak the actual circumstances, rather than insist she wasn't meeting a guy for romantic means. If Chanel didn't need the money, she would have just cancelled because she would much rather just hang out with Cara and start their evening early rather than all the running around she'd been doing all day and would continue to do until she returned for the night. Checking her phone again, she still thought she had enough time to shop, but she didn't think she necessarily had enough time to just stroll around. It was a nicer restaurant that she was going to, so she would have to get prepared appropriately, which is really where the guessing games occurred and she slipped into dangerous territory. Chanel could be very stubborn in her own right, especially if it was with someone she didn't particularly like. When she didn't want to do something, she made it known, so even if she was in a rush this evening, she wouldn't force herself to panic over getting right to go to something she would rather not attend. She was going to have to be 'on' for the rest of the day, and right now she really wanted to just have some leisure. She certainly didn't have to jump at the opportunity to hang out with Cara, but being around friends did energize her, and it was also her own choice, and something temporary. She might have had enough time to squeeze in a nap before dinner. Really, she was just underwhelmed because things weren't going ideally. It wasn't tragic enough for it to put her in a bad mood though, but it did make her a bit more reluctant to the rest of her day.

"I'm really only going to get this guy off my jock and for the free food, kind of make back some of the money I'll end up spending on groceries." The latter half was meant more as a joke, but it was definitely something that would have been a perk had any of this been true. It wasn't entirely a lie because this did happen, but it just wasn't what was actually going on tonight. "Last year I had a class with my friend and her friend, this dude, was in it too and he started feeling me. I told my friend no because I was sort of with someone at the time, but he's also just, like, not my type, you know? Like I could tell he would get on my nerves, which is saying something. And I didn't have to worry about him after that because I wasn't in school last semester, but of course he's still been asking my friend about me, and I ran into him last month and I just gave in. Hopefully he'll get off my back, and it's a new year, so I'm trying to be a little bit more open minded. I was expecting more of a bowling and beer at a bar type thing, but it's actually a sit down reservation spot, which I wish I knew beforehand because that seems a little serious for a first get together," Chanel said, pointing her finger at Cara to let her know that it wasn't a date. "I hope the service is terrible so when I ghost him he understands and is hopefully to embarrassed to try and redeem himself." Chanel went through her phone, opening Instagram so she could find the guy's account. At this point, she wasn't really doing it for an alibi anymore, but just to make conversation and get validated. She passed her phone over to him. While the guy wasn't model status by any means, he wasn't really as bad as Chanel was making him out to be. He was averagely attractive with nothing particularly striking about him, laughing in most of his pictures. "Like he's a nice guy and all, but I feel like--and I feel really bad saying this--I feel like he's not even trying to hang out with me. I feel like he knows I'm a bit of a reach and is just going to tell her bro's about it because he knows I'm out of his league." Chanel laughed then, a bit nervously as she was slightly embarrassed saying all of that because it felt like a bad thing to say. "But he said that though! I'm not just being a princess about it." Everything Chanel had said was true, except for them going out. Him giving her off vibes and seeming to view her as more of an accomplishment is why she was still avoiding him at all costs. "Nothing to write home about, though. If anything comes of it, it'll just be me stringing him along for free meals and maybe an excuse to get out the house," she explained, which was also the truth of the actual date she was having tonight, though the one thing she obviously omitted was the monetary aspect as well.

Cara's interest peaked when Chanel showed her the man's Instagram account, but only because it was the kind of thing that Cara enjoyed. It wasn't gossip, but it fell into that similar category of things that could potentially be scandalous, or at least warrant judgement, and anyone who knew Cara knew that she often had lots of that to give. Luckily for this guy (and Chanel), there wasn't anything particularly off-putting about the photos she scrolled through. He was decently attractive, didn't seem poor, and didn't seem like a sociopath. "Nice guys are never fun," she warned the girl, offering a small smile. "I feel like that's my issue, so maybe I'm just projecting, but like, once a guy shows too much interest in me, I'm totally over it." It was definitely at least one of the reasons for why Cara was currently single. As Chanel had guessed, Cara did have many options in regards to dating. She had lots of friends growing up, and though few of them were people that she still considered good friends to this day, they were still people who texted her to hang out. Many of the guys that fell into that category were decent people. They came from families like hers, had similar values and lifestyle goals, were attractive, and had fun personalities. From the outside, many of them would have seemed to be entirely compatible with Cara, and most people would have appreciated the interest they showed in her. It was hard for her to reciprocate any of that interest though. She often wondered what was wrong with her, because she did want affection. She wanted a boyfriend that she could travel the world with, spend holidays with, or just cuddle with on a Sunday morning. She wanted someone that knew that they were lucky to have her, someone who would be faithful and adoring and sweet. With all of that in mind, it was hard to imagine that she hadn't found someone by now worth a serious relationship. She had dated a guy for six months or so last year, but her interest had dwindled quickly, and ever since then, she found it difficult and meaningless to invest in anyone else. She didn't know what was wrong with her, and she was aware of the issue enough that it bothered her whenever she thought about it. With Valentine's Day approaching, it was particularly irksome.

"But he looks sweet. I can't judge you for anything other than dating a guy for free meals. I refuse to let any of my friends be prostitutes for sushi and cocktails," she added lightly. "Like, can you imagine if Collin wasn't so unlikable and he showed up tomorrow with some girl that was just there for free food?" Cara mused, going off-topic a bit. "I don't know which one I'd want to kill more." If Cara wasn't so uninterested in reliving the Nick fiasco, she would have referenced how Collin was obviously dumb enough to go for that, since Brooklyn was clearly that type of girl. Even thinking about her brother sleeping with that sort of trash made her stomach churn, though. "I literally think Ruby is friends with my dad's wife. Maybe she'll be there." The stark age gap between her father and his wife was quite noticeable, and Cara was sure it would be noticeable tomorrow too, when the place was filled with young people and her gray-haired father stood out.

tumblr_mhogi5eiky1s4uvkso1_500.gif

"I didn't do anything!" If Holly hadn't been aware of Makayla's anger just by looking at her, then she was certainly made aware of it when the girl immediately snapped at her and smacked her on the head. Holly could have assumed that Makayla might have been upset with her for not taking the subway home as planned, but she had gotten home safely. She didn't think it was that big of a deal, because unlike her sister, Holly didn't worry about her mere presence bothering people. She didn't realize that people felt compelled to look after her out of any reason aside from being her friend, so the way that Makayla was responding to this seemed like a major overreaction. While Holly was confused about why her sister was so angry, the tears started flowing immediately as Makayla aggressively yanked her upstairs because she knew that she was in trouble. Obviously, no child, young or old, enjoyed being punished (especially physically), but it wasn't even knowing that Makayla was able to hurt her that was necessarily bringing her to tears. She didn't like being yelled at just as much as she didn't like being hit. Being called stupid was probably the most hurtful thing to her, and Makayla had just done that in the first two seconds of this outburst. Holly was already upset and confused and she knew from Makayla's words that this was only the beginning. She also knew to heed Makayla's advice, though, and she didn't say anything until they were in their apartment. Once inside, she opened her mouth to plead her case, but stopped when she looked at Makayla's face and saw the sheer anger that it held. It wasn't like her sister was actually about to kill her, but Holly was sensitive, so she felt like she was actually being mature by only crying right now.

Moments like these definitely made Makayla look like a bad person. She was angry, aggressive, maybe even borderline violent. All she wanted to do was smack the shit out of Holly, because not only would that hopefully knock some sense into her, but in a more twisted and sad way, it would finally let Makayla release some of her pent up frustration. Makayla was the opposite of abusive. Her entire life revolved around Holly, and no one could deny that. She had put her entire life on halt just to care for this girl that wasn't even biologically related to her, and she had done so without a complaint or expectation for recognition or reward. She sacrificed school, jobs, friends, romance, and even family to be a part of this girl's life, and it wasn't even stretching it to say that there were very few people who would have stepped up to the plate had they been in Makayla's position. Additionally, Makayla always showed restraint. She was very good to Holly. Having the patience of a saint was probably her most prominent character trait, because she really could take a lot. It wasn't even that she took a lot and let it build up and would finally snap at times like these. No, most of the time -nearly all of the time, actually- she just let things go. Holly would do something that would inconvenience her, or say something cringe-worthy, or act unappreciative, and Makayla would let it go and move on. It was rare that she got to a point like this where she really just could not take it anymore, and the rarity of it made it even scarier when it happened. Scarier for Holly, definitely, but scarier for herself as well, because it was a feeling of absolute loss of control. This wasn't her and she was partially aware of that, but she was also human, and she had reached her breaking point.

"What the fuck am I supposed to do with you, huh?" she asked, hitting Holly once more. "You're sixteen years old and you can't take a fucking subway by yourself? You want me to put you into a home for retards, Holly? Is that what you fucking want? Do you even know how to think? You're in therapy, you're on medication, I do every god damn thing I can for you, and you can't even use your brain for fifteen minutes to get home after we practiced it ten thousand times! I know you don't give a fuck about looking stupid, but how the hell do you think it makes me look when every fucking person we know has to stop their day because you act like you're two years old? Have I taught you anything? Should I have let you end up in foster care? Would that have been better for you? No one would've coddled you there, I can tell you that." While her blood was boiling, her anger had shifted out of wanting to beat Holly's ass, and it was translating in a more verbal manner. Makayla would soon regret uttering every hurtful word that she was saying, that went without saying, but in the heat of things, she couldn't stop herself.

There were many times when Chanel stopped and wondered if she could go back and change time would she. But it was never just a general, curious question. It always pertained to her financial exploits. Because what had started out as a simple joke between friends had become quite serious for her. She wasn't nearly as successful as the glamorous stories she had heard of where girls were basically just getting paid to exist--and that was another reason, subconsciously, she kept doing it because she felt like she was failing somehow--but it had become a part of her lifestyle, and that wasn't something she was proud of. Never mind the fact that she did not live in a very sex positive culture, she felt ashamed and embarrassed that she was doing what she was doing. When in reality it should have focused a lens on what was wrong with their society that women had to use their own oppression to their benefit for financial gains, that wasn't what Chanel was dealing with. She felt too much guilt for relying so much on her parents for her childishly on the whim move to a place like New York City, especially after she had basically killed her brother--which is what she always viewed it as. She never spoke it out loud because she already knew the reaction it would garner, but that was what was harvesting inside of her. She felt long overdue to finally look out for herself, not only because she felt so disgustingly behind her peers, but because she felt as though the more she took from her parents, the more they were ignoring her brother, and that was what led to his attempt in the first place. She had told herself for years that she would finally get a handle on things, but this year she was finally doing it. Of course, this wasn't how she had envisioned it. The thing was, she simply couldn't afford this place. Not on her own.

It made the most sense to just go home and try to get back on her feet. Her parents wouldn't disallow her to do such a thing, but Chanel was stubborn and she had a complex for perfection that even she didn't realize. She thought that she didn't want to just be the pretty face with the easy life, but that's all she ever was and had been comfortable with, and facing something totally new at her age was incredibly scary. It should say more that someone would have to go on dates with older men to save on money or for free meals than it did on the person who was actually going on those dates, but that wasn't reality. Even if it was just a simple date, albeit one that she got paid for, she would still return home feeling disgusting and like she was disappointing her parents, although as of now this was the only viable option she could see that would prevent her from taking so much of their money. So she was notably embarrassed at Cara's innocent joke, because it was a sore spot for her--an insecurity. Instead of being angry that she had to be forced to do such a thing, she was instead frustrated with herself. She was already keeping a lot inside, though there were always times she wished she could just let it all out and vent to someone, but Cara's comment reassured her that it was something that only she could know. "Hey, if you gotta eat, you gotta eat," Chanel joked. "If Ruby's going to be there, maybe you don't need me then. Aren't two friends after all?" Taking her phone back from Cara, she began closing her apps, then briefly being reminded of the last time they left the apartment when she was speaking to Roman. She turned to Cara. "Wait. Why was Roman calling you of all people to tell you about Holly? I figure he would call Makayla instead, you know?"

Chanel bringing up Roman could have made Cara nervous, and maybe it should have, but it didn't. In this particular situation, she really didn't think that it was that abnormal or telling. "He probably did," she said, in reference to Chanel's comment about how she was surprised he hadn't called Makayla first. "I doubt she answered. She was un-bothered enough that we had to come back here to drop Holly off, so it obviously wasn't like she was clutching her phone for dear life waiting for any calls," she answered casually. Her subtle (or maybe not so subtle) desire to slander Makayla's character at any opportunity probably seemed harsh, but Cara didn't think that she was speaking anything but the truth. Besides, she really did assume that Nick or Roman had reached out to Makayla before contacting her. They couldn't have been that stupid, and Cara was positive that at least one of them had Makayla's number. "I guess he still had my number from the trip, though," she added, though it probably wasn't necessary because Chanel had no reason to assume they were linked in any way deeper than that.

Purposely steering the conversation away from that, she returned to Chanel's response about Ruby. "And Ruby and I are not friends. She's a family friend, I guess, but she's just obnoxious. One of the first things she just had to go bragging to me about when she moved in was that she's some big lawyer now or something," she remarked with a roll of her eyes, still under the assumption that when Ruby mentioned having her own practice, she was speaking about a legal practice. "It was one of those comments where I totally know she just wanted to make me feel stupid," she explained, even though that absolutely was not the case. Not only had Ruby not brought her career up in a condescending manner, but she was also years older than Cara, so where they currently stood in life couldn't be compared in such a way without there being obvious bias. The fact that Cara assumed those were Ruby's intentions reflected her own insecurities and unhappiness with where she stood in life, though.

Trader Joe's wasn't far from their apartment, so only a few minutes passed before they pulled up and left the Uber. Regardless of the time of day or day of the week, Cara felt like the stores were always busy. They never felt insanely crowded where you couldn't move, but the lines were always ridiculously long. Luckily, there were typically so many cashiers that the amount of people in line didn't matter, and it never took too long. Cara actually shopped there pretty regularly. She frequented that and Whole Foods probably once a week each, and didn't have much of a preference for one over the other. Unlike a lot of her friends, she wasn't insanely obsessed with organic this and organic that, and though she ate pretty cleanly, she wasn't too picky with stuff like that. "If your new plan is to eat on some guy's dime, what do you even need here?" she asked playfully, as they approached the store.

Ruby never took for granted the impact that her work had on other people. Though the work of every person, regardless of their title or position, in any field contributed and allowed for the overall success of an operator, her line of work really felt important and influential to her. The cases that she dealt with on a daily basis had a direct impact on the lives of real people. She wasn't working in an emergency trauma unit performing brain surgeries, and she wasn't even working in a psychiatric crisis facility, but she had a direct role in ensuring that people were healthy, and she valued that. Although her residency and fellowship had prepared her for a ton of different situations, many of them being adrenaline-provoking, high-stakes one, she was often still shaken when put into an emergency situation. Anyone would be, probably. It was sort of just a human reaction. You either went into auto pilot mode , froze, or froze for a moment to process things, and then reacted. Ruby fell into the last of the categories, and it always bothered her. She wanted to be that kind of person who could react instantly to a situation to solve it, but she couldn't. She always panicked for a moment - not even necessarily because whatever was occurring was actually fear-provoking, but just out of surprise. A few minutes after getting home after a day of work, she was thrust into a situation like that.

Stepping out of the bathroom, she heard the sound of others in the apartment. Living with three people, one of whom wasn't exactly quiet meant that Ruby was used to this. She didn't mind noise or company, even if she tended to be fairly quiet and independent in her own right. It wasn't the presence of others that surprised her, but the way that they were interacting that did. Just as quickly as the small smile had appeared on her face at the sound of others, it disappeared. She remained in the hallway, frozen in a bout of confusion, fear, and surprise, as she listened to what she could only conclude was Makayla shouting obscenities and insults at Holly. Ruby had not been living there for long, but she had been living there for long enough to feel like this was not normal. Makayla had always sounded so soft spoken and gentle. Not only was the content of her words surprisingly harsh and aggressive, but the tone and the volume that she was speaking of was too. Though she had quite formal training in deescalation and talking people out of anger, she felt frozen and helpless. This wasn't being a doctor to strangers, or people that she only knew in a professional setting. This was real life, dealing with people she lived with and would have to see every day.

She couldn't just stand there and do nothing, but as each second passed, she wanted to do that more and more. Confrontation wasn't her forte, and Makayla was an adult, not a child. The sound of distress coming from Holly, an maybe in a more hidden way, but from Makayla too, pushed her to be bold though. "Hey, is everything all right in here?" she asked, a somewhat shaky smile on her face as she stood at the edge of the room where the hallway ended. Everything obviously was not all right, and maybe it wasn't any of Ruby's business if it was or was not anyway, but she wanted to help if she could.

Maybe this was God stepping in and giving her what she subconsciously wanted, or at least needed. She knew that she was speaking as herself as she laid into Holly. She wasn't thinking clearly enough to claim that she didn't truly mean what she was saying, because there was some part of her that felt this way, but everyone had a bad side. One thought out of a million didn't define a person's character, but if it was extreme or bad enough, it was often what people remembered them for. It was always the breakdown that was more exciting and memorable than the good parts of a person. Makayla was not abusive or violent or cruel. She was the opposite, for the most part, and to think that Holly would probably remember this forever would have been enough to push Makayla over the edge if she was thinking straight. She wasn't though, of course. That was why she was in this position. She was really at her limit, seeing red in the realest of ways, and she was a second away from grabbing Holly by the neck when Ruby made her presence known. Makayla had no idea how long she had been standing there watching or listening to them, as she only noticed the girl when she spoke, but her presence did very little to break Makayla out of her rage. Typically, she would have felt immensely bad for making enough of a scene to an extent that anyone could have even heard them. She hated disturbing or disrupting her roommate's lives, and more than that, she hated having her business put out in the open. She had gotten used to it to an extent, given Holly's inability to comprehend that not everyone needed to know that their parents used to smoke crack on a daily basis, but she was never comfortable with airing her business herself. Right now, she didn't give a single fuck about what Ruby thought of her. Ruby didn't know her, what she had been through, or what she was feeling. The girl would see her yelling, ready to beat the shit out of Holly, but she wouldn't understand why it felt warranted by Makayla. Even if she understood the immediate situation that had brought her to this point, she wouldn't understand that it wasn't just what had happened today that pushed her to this.

"We're good sis," she said, offering Ruby a cold glare. She felt like she was shaking as she reached out, clutching Holly's wrist in a firm, though not necessarily aggressive manner, but she wasn't sure if it was a shake that would be visible to anyone else. With her free hand, she shooed Ruby on, "You can continue on with your life. This doesn't involve you." It wasn't the type of way that Makayla wold ever typically speak to someone she was supposed to be friendly and cordial with, but again, she was at the end of the line today. She didn't care. She wasn't thinking. In fact, she was probably showing a great deal of restraint given her current state. It seemed like as every second passed, her anger continued to grow. Even snapping at Holly in the horribly mean way she had hadn't alleviated much of the anger. She still felt like she was overflowing with it, and that was probably dangerous for everyone involved.

As anyone could guess, Ruby felt very uncomfortable. Not only was it alarming to be in the middle of a fight, but interjecting oneself into a fight with people you sort of knew, but not fully, made it all the more awkward. On top of that, even if she didn't know Makayla and Holly extensively, she had been living in the same apartment as them for long enough to know that this was not normal. Ruby wasn't nosy and she purposely it held from really observing her roommates in the way that she enjoyed doing to strangers, in fear of being noticed and seeming creepy, but she had enough of a sense of how these two interacted. Holly was usually very energetic and talkative, and Makayla was much quieter but had a calm and gentle vibe that she carried with her. This was so unsettling to her, not only because it was a concerning situation overall, but because it felt misplaced given who was involved.

Ruby wasn't expecting an apology from Makayla, because it wasn't like she had been wronged in anyway, but she wasn't expecting the unapologetic and sharp response she got from the girl. In a second's time, she tried to gauge what was occurring. Makayla didn't look like she was under the influence of anything. It was only around four o'clock anyway. Nothing in the apartment seemed obviously broken or destroyed, so that wasn't the source of her anger. Ruby could only conclude that something had happened before the girls had gotten home, but Holly had to have been in school for most of the day. Had the girl done something wrong at school? Had she been disrespectful towards Makayla upon getting home from school? Could someone as sweet as Holly actually do anything intensely wrong enough to warrant such a bout of anger in response? Part of her wished that she had not gotten involved, because then, as Makayla requested, she could move along with her life. It was a bad thought to think, because it was never right to turn a blind eye on a situation like this, but she was in a weird position. She wasn't a friend to these girls, though she liked them, so she didn't have the authority to insert herself into the situation as a friend, but she also wasn't disconnected from them enough to insert herself into it as a neutral party related to her career. She couldn't just nod her head and leave though. She was here and this was now and she had to do something!

"I--" She didn't know how to word this without coming across as being overbearing and crossing lines, but at this point, with Makayla's reaction, she probably didn't need to take that into consideration. Still, Ruby was polite and she did have enough training in this sort of thing to know that returning animosity was not only inappropriate, but did a disservice to everyone. "I know that this doesn't involve me directly, but I don't feel comfortable letting you guys fight like this. I know that you're family, and every family interacts in their own way," she said, taking a few steps closer until she was standing beside the two of them. "But she's a child and I just feel like this is going to get out of hand really quickly." Had she not noticed that Holly's body language suggested that she had just recoiled from some sort of physical assault, or an attempted one, than maybe she would have heeded Makayla's advice and let the two of them hash out their differences. It was one thing to argue verbally (though with so much animosity behind it, Ruby still felt like it was unhealthy and her stepping in to suggest a cool-down period would have been deserved). Getting physical, especially when a child was involved, was unacceptable under any circumstance, though.

Situations like this were a great reminder to Makayla of how shitty her situation was. It reminded her of it for many reasons, obviously, but even right now, if she was in a state of mind where she could recognize that she needed to step away from the situation, she couldn't do that. Holly wasn't her child, and she didn't have a baby daddy, or a mother of her own, or a baby daddy's side of the family to leave the kid with until she could get herself together. She didn't even have friends to request help from. She was alone, all alone, and at times like this, it was impossible to ignore those feelings of being so distance from how people in the normal world lived and interacted with each other. It made Ruby's words all the more infuriating, because it just confirmed that no one could even remotely grasp the place that Makayla was coming from. She was just going to be seen as the bad guy in every situation, regardless of what she did, it seemed.

"It's always you damn white people that wanna jump into other people's business to play the hero card, isn't it? You've got no idea who I am and what the fuck I am even dealing with with her, and you have the nerve to try and tell me what to do? Right? Because you're white and pretty and educated and you've got the whole fucking world kissing your feet, right? So I'm supposed to do that too? Or wait-- is it because you're a good person? You think you know what's best for everyone, huh?" Makayla had released Holly's arm by then, and clasped her own hands together, smiling in a nearly villainous manner as she took a step towards Ruby. She was somehow almost now amused by the audacity that Ruby was showing by trying to get involved here. It obviously wasn't clear, but Makayla wasn't going to kill Holly, or even really hurt her. She was angry, possibly more angry than she had ever been, but not to a point where she was really a danger to anyone. Then again, it was sometimes hard to imagine that others didn't grow up in the same abusive childhood that she had grown up in. In some households, not only was yelling and screaming unheard of, but physically disciplining your child was absolutely unthinkable. If punishing your child was a foreign concept, obviously abusing them wasn't something that would even be suspected. The way that she dealt with things was definitely reflective of what she was taught, even if she had pledged to be different than her father. And she was! This situation probably wasn't the best example of it, but Makayla was patient and understanding and soft. Until she couldn't be.

"But you know what-" She held up a finger, not even knowing if Ruby had been preparing to respond or not, but not wanting to allow her to get a word in. "I'm'a leave. I'm gonna leave and you better thank the good fucking lord for that," she said, pointing her finger back at Holly. "And you better take your ass to bed and not get out of it for the rest of the god damn night, you hear me?" She wanted to smack Holly just to show her that she wasn't playing, but somehow, she had enough sense not to as she turned and walked back towards the apartment door. For better or for worse, next stop was the liquor store.

"Well it's only going to be one meal," Chanel explained as she moved through the door and went to grab a cart. Considering she wouldn't have much time to sit down and eat what little was already in the kitchen, she was probably going to be pretty hungry when she arrived, so she might end up not even bringing anything home. "If anything it'll just last 'till tomorrow, but I still need groceries regardless. My kitchen is seriously on E, it's ridiculous." Chanel preferred cleaner eater, but that didn't mean she enjoyed having to cook full meals all the time. Chanel really only enjoyed cooking when she was in a particularly homey mood or when it was around the holidays and the spirit of giving was in the air. But now it was February and the New Years high was starting to wear off--though stick to it she was trying relentlessly to do--and it was brutally cold with no reward. She would much rather just sit around and eat out of bags and microwave her food. "Dang, I just realized I don't even know what stuff I want to make," she grumbled to herself.

"Did I tell you I was thinking about getting another job? I'm gonna try to get an on-campus one; they're more willing to cater to your schedule I think." She went straight for the produce section, beginning to bag what she needed. "I seriously need to get one of those produce wraps so I don't have to use so much plastic," she said, more to herself than anyone else. "Girl, if you need anything just put it in the art," she said. She moved along, picking up things as she needed. "I swear to God the hummus was right here; I'm losing my mind." As Chanel marvelously looked right past the hummus three times, she turned to Cara for a second. "Why don't we find you a guy? My sob story clearly isn't going to change for a while, but I'm sure you'd have better luck than me. One of us deserves to be happy. Then the other can live vicariously through that per-- Oh, my freaking gosh where is the damn hummu-- Oh. Here it is."

Ruby was shocked at the amount of anger that seemed to drip from Makayla's words. To say that she never expected the girl to hold such fury in her was an understatement. She wouldn't claim to have known the girl well, but from what she did know about her from their interactions so far, this was not the norm for how she interacted with people. It wasn't normal behavior for anyone, so even if Makayla had seemed abrasive and cold from the start, acting this aggressive and explosive would have been alarming nonetheless. Ruby was convinced that something must have happened that was bigger than what she knew about, and that Makayla either needed time to cool off, or she needed help. The psychiatrist in her didn't feel comfortable letting the girl leave like she did, but the door closed behind Makayla, and Ruby found herself frozen where she stood, mouth slightly agape as she was faced with a real life crisis that was quite different than what she dealt with typically. Her quaint little office sometimes housed crying youth, or ones that were angry with fists turning white because they were clenched so hard, but it was never crisis-like. Even when she had been working in the hospitals, the crises that occurred were always more expected seeming than this. She already knew that the patients in the units struggled with X, Y, or Z, so she was at least somewhat prepared for behavior related to that. This was shockingly abnormal, and yet she still hated how unprepared she felt in dealing with it. She didn't know if Makayla was about to go stab somewhere or throw herself off of a bridge, but she hoped that she would just take as long as she needed to cool off.

Even if Ruby felt compelled to chase Makayla down to make sure she was okay, she couldn't, because standing in front of her was Holly, who was understandably upset. "Are you okay, sweetie?" Instinctively, Ruby reached out and pulled the girl into a hug. She normally wasn't overbearingly comforting or anything, but this was clearly a unique situation, and it would have been heartless to not show the younger girl some love given what had just occurred. "Why was she so upset? Did something happen between you guys?" she asked.

Makayla and Holly fought before; this obviously wasn't the first time. Most of the time though, Holly deserved it, or at the very least, she could understand what triggered the argument. This didn't make sense to her. She didn't understand why getting lost on the way to the subway warranted being called stupid in ways that made her wish Makayla had just simply called her stupid and left it at that. Makayla had gotten frustrated with Holly many times before, and likely, they were all very warranted bouts of frustration and anger, but it had never been like this. It wasn't even the physical aspect of it, because for Holly, that wasn't even what she paid attention to, even if she flinched every time Makayla smacked her. She was crying, but in that way where tears were streaming down her cheeks, but she wasn't actually really making any noise. Honestly, she was scared to. Makayla was scaring her. This wasn't normal, and she didn't know how to respond to it. This wasn't one of those times where she could be brave and snap back at Makayla and tell her that she wasn't allowed to speak to her like that since she wasn't her mother, or do the smart thing and just cry and apologize. She really had no idea what was happening, but she knew that she didn't like it.

She was not relieved when Ruby came in, because it just added one more uncertainty to the situation, and when Makayla snapped at her, it only confirmed that things were not going to get better with an extra person in the situation. She wasn't even relieved that the anger was being re-focused away from her, because the mere sight of Makayla acting like this was overwhelmingly frightening in itself. By the time that she stormed out, Holly had stopped processing the words being exchanged between the two of them because she knew that she wouldn't want to hear them. The fact that she didn't know Ruby well, despite being her typically chatty and friendly self during normal times, made this situation all the more unsettling. She had been on a vacation with Chanel and lived with her for years. If it had been her, or Cara, or Brooklyn, Holly probably would have felt comforted by a hug after all of that, but she didn't know what to do when Ruby embraced her. This wasn't the end of the madness. Holly didn't know where Makayla was going and still, why she was so mad, and she didn't know why Ruby thought that things were suddenly all right enough to relax. "Can you call Cara?" she asked, clearly very shaken, but beginning to wipe her cheeks dry of the tears. She didn't know why Makayla was mad, what had happened, or if she was okay, so she didn't even attempt to answer Ruby's questions.

"I seriously hate you with this. A second job?!" Cara reiterated, somewhat playfully, but only because she thought that Chanel was basically joking about getting a second job. "Literally, I would kill you. What kind of person works two jobs?" she asked. If she had to answer that question herself, she would declare with certainty that it was only the poor, uneducated drug addicts that did. There was no reason that someone their age with (in her mind) no bills to pay, and no family to support, should need to worry about working at two different places, even if one was an on-campus job. She figured that Chanel was just being dramatic, which wasn't really unrealistic for Chanel. "I already don't know how you wake up early on the weekends and stuff for the job you already have. You literally couldn't pay me enough to do that." When money had no meaning, saying something like that was easy though, and here, Cara wasn't even exaggerating. She wouldn't wake up to go work even if she was being offered one-hundred dollars an hour, if she felt like it was something that she was being forced to do. If she ever ended up working a long-term career, she knew that she would have to find something that she actually truly enjoyed and was passionate about. The comment represented her own privilege and delusional perspective on how she thought other people's worlds were too, but it also represented how she didn't fully grasp how different her financial situation was from Chanel's. She had never really had friends from the middle class, even if it was the upper middle class. To her, financial situations were black and white. Either your parents are buying you that BMW for your 16th birthday, regardless of the fact that it will sit unused in the garage of your Hamptons house for 9 out of the 12 months in a year, or they're not because you're poor trash. She had grown a bit, and she understood that some people's parents made them work for things, but that was how she thought Chanel's life worked. Her parents wanted her to be independent and work for things, but she didn't have to. She wasn't going to starve if she decided to quit her jobs -- her parents would end up giving in and providing for her.

"And I told you, I am over it. Guys suck, and that's that," she added with a sigh. She scanned the shelves in front of them. Luckily, she wasn't in an impulsive shopping mood, because she truly didn't need anything. Her kitchen was stocked just enough that she would get by without anything going bad and having to be tossed. Cara often purchased food while she was out and about, which wasn't horrible since they lived in an area that sported many health-centered cafes and shops, so she never bought tons and tons of groceries. "I just--" she stopped midway through her sentence as her phone started to ring. She didn't know it was Ruby, since she didn't recognize the number, but she would have rejected the call just as quickly as she did, even if she knew it was her. "I just feel like both of us are honestly taken for granted and deserve so much and --" Again, only seconds after re-starting her sentence, she paused midway because she received a text from that same unknown number. It read, "Hi Cara, this is Ruby. Are you home? My roommate Makayla just had a major outburst and long story short, she just left, but Holly is here and is asking for you. It was a really volatile situation that I walked in on, and I don't even know the full extent of what happened in terms of whether this was just verbal, or also physical, but it would be really great if you could help me out."

She glared at her screen, rolling her eyes. The audacity! Quickly, her fingers tapped away at the glass screen, sending back a curt reply of, "Sorry, not home". "This is what you being a good person gets me," she said, rolling her eyes as she showed Chanel her phone. "It's like no one can do anything on their own." If it hadn't been made clear earlier, than it was probably vibrantly clear now that Cara was not in the most compassionate of moods today.

Brooklyn's mood was off today. Arguably, her mood would frequently seem "off" to the average person. She was definitely a cynic, a pessimist... all of that, but those that knew her understood that it was her personality, and her seemingly cruel remarks or abrasive attitude wasn't typically truly meant to be harsh and off-putting. It was something that had probably started as a defense mechanism years and years ago, but it had grown into something that had engulfed her outlook on life, and in turn, her personality. She didn't have a heart frozen solid, and she wasn't emotionless, but it wasn't wrong to say that she never really seemed cheerful and peppy in ways that a normal person would, if they were having a good day. When she was having a bad day, it was often more obvious than the latter. Today wasn't even a bad day. She had worked and made decent tips which usually lifted her spirits, but she had dealt with a few nasty customers who had just rubbed her the wrong way. One table that she was waiting during lunch had been a group of students that she assumed were from NYU, given the school's attire that two of them had been donning. They had not done anything outlandishly rude, aside from only tipping her around 9%, but their attitudes had rubbed her the wrong way. It was quite possible that she was making it up in her head as she sometimes did, but through their interactions, she just felt like they were being condescending. It was something that she had been feeling more and more lately when dealing with "normal" people... the students from expensive schools, or the businessmen, or the young people on their way to work happy hours... For sometimes no reason at all, with no interactions to back them up, she just felt like they were looking down on her.

The feelings certainly reflected her own unhappiness with her life, and maybe even her insecurities. Her 26th birthday had recently passed, and though she was still young, she didn't feel that way. She didn't want to be one of those women who worked as a waitress until they were sixty and were too tired to stand any longer, and she couldn't work in the strip club industry for more than five more years, if that. New prettier and younger girls would come through and replace her. It was the inevitable end to the career of girls in her profession, especially in a city like New York, where there were thousands of girls who could do the job and wanted the money. Celebrating a birthday meant acknowledging that time was moving, but she wasn't. She was at a stand still in her life, and even if things were working out now and she was living comfortably off of the money that she was making, she couldn't do this forever, and she didn't have a plan for when that time came.

She didn't want to go college. She was past the point in her life where going back to school seemed even vaguely appealing. However, she was aware that respectable jobs in corporate America required a degree of some sorts. Even if she could get past the point of not wanting to go to school, however, it wasn't like she knew what she wanted to do. She wasn't fit to be anything that dealt with kids regularly, so being a teacher was off the table. She didn't have an interest in healthcare (especially if it involved any patient care) so nursing and anything related to that was a no. She wasn't particularly skilled in any certain subject either, so finance, accounting, business, and research jobs sparked no interest in her. As strongly as she disliked people, she was actually good at working in the customer service industry, but what kind of career could that ever be? Sometimes she pondered over the idea of going into the luxury retail market, but working for commission didn't entice her enough. Basically, she felt lost and directionless, and though it was disheartening, for someone like Brooklyn who constantly sought out control and certainty, it was more frustrating than anything. She felt like a loser, plain and simple.

Days like these required alcohol. Today's vice came in the form of wine, something that felt classy at first thought, but somewhat less so once she realized that she had consumed three quarters of it on her own in just over an hour and a half's time. Emerging from her bedroom once her television show ended, she carried her glass and the bottle into the kitchen in search of food, and a change of scenery. "Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in," she greeted Collin, even though by the way he was seated, it looked like he had been there for quite some time.

Collin looked up at Brooklyn with a bit of surprise. He hadn't seen her come in, and had honestly assumed that he was home alone, since he knew Cara had left. "Hey, what's up?" he offered blandly. In his defense, he was tired, but on top of that, he was also undeniably awkward to an extent. Before he and Brooklyn had hooked up, he had been kind of scared of her. After they hooked up, he was still pretty intimidated by her, but he also didn't know how he was expected to interact with her. It was clear that she wasn't interested in him for sex anymore, which he was okay with as well -- he had happily ridden that wave for as long as he could, but even going into it, he knew that it wouldn't last forever. She was the first girl he had ever slept with though, so he didn't know how to properly socialize with someone like that after it was all done and over with. For him, it was easiest to keep the interactions to a minimum.

"Oh, nothing," she said with a sigh. "Just trying to drink enough to put me at a point where I'll no longer think about how I suck and am going nowhere in life." Brooklyn wasn't drunk, though she had a good buzz, so her willingness to admit flaws wasn't due to liquid courage, but more-so that combined with the fact that Collin wasn't a threat to her. He didn't have the balls to make fun of her, and even if he was astronomically wealthier than her, it wasn't his money, and she didn't see him as someone who was successful or intimidating in that manner. He was a kid... an innocent guy who was too sheepish to make her feel stupid or low.

"Yeah?" Collin asked, a small smirk creeping onto his face. He wasn't judging Brooklyn, per se, but that was only because she was Brooklyn. He was aware of what she did for a living, and he had respect for it because he knew that she was almost always at work, but for some reason, it also allowed him to expect less of her. He would never admit it, but he didn't think of her jobs as being "real" jobs, where drinking a bottle of wine alone on a weekday seemed inappropriate to do, knowing you had to work the next day. "Why do you feel like you're going no where?" he asked, genuinely curious, before lightly adding, "Or have you had enough to drink that I shouldn't even be asking you that?"

Chanel laughed at Cara gawking over the fact that she was thinking about seeking out another job, though it was an intentional effort because it actually rubbed her the wrong. While it was with good reason, Cara always said stupid things like that, and Chanel had pretty much learned how to handle it lightheartedly. What surprised her was the fact that it irritated her so much. It gave her knots in her stomach, and as she checked her phone for the third time since walking into the store, she slowly came to the realization that it wasn't just Cara being uncharacteristically obnoxious or Chanel coming to her wits end with the girl, because her comment wasn't even as bad as other things that the girl had uttered. Ever since they left the meatball shop, she had been feeling off and she finally realized it was nerves. She had lost a good bit of time dealing with Holly, but it wasn't like she needed to run through the store to get back on schedule. She wasn't checking her phone to make sure she wasn't running behind, but instead she was checking it with dread because each minute that passed meant she was that much closer to having to go on her date tonight. This wasn't the first time this had happened. Each time it was becoming more persistent. Her anxiety was being channeled into irritation, but because she knew that, she would try to purposely be more patient. As she was starting to put her phone up, she got a text, and her stomach curled when she saw it was from the man she was supposed to be seeing. The way her heart picked up so quickly and send a surge through her blood took her off guard, and even more so the way the relief flooded in just as quickly when she read the message stating they should cancel for the night. A small smirk appeared on her face as she lifted something from the shelf in front of her. In the next second, another message came in, saying "How about room service instead? It's about time rent is due, isn't it? ;)"

As if Chanel wasn't already heartbroken that she'd gotten her hopes up, but the subtle jab about rent being due because it was the beginning of the month angered her to her core. It insinuated he knew she would need extra money, and it made her wonder if this was his plan all along. No one liked feeling like an idiot, or feeling played, but for Chanel, she took it especially hard. She couldn't tolerate being embarrassed, even if it was only her who knew, like now. What made things worse was that he was right; she didn't have much of a choice. It wasn't in the sense that she would be out on the streets if she declined, but it was far more complicated than that. There were more consequences to saying no than just not getting some money for the night. Really what she wanted to do was just cry, but she couldn't do that in the middle of Trader Joe's. She was simply staring at her phone as a stress headache formed in her temple until Cara's voice pulled her back to reality. "What?" Chanel said with obvious confusion. She blinked a few times and then saw Cara was holding her phone out to her. "Oh, yeah," she said, shaking her head, finally registering what all Cara had just said, which seconds ago had just seemed like she was talking under water. Reading Ruby's text message didn't help Chanel's mood at all. Chanel could have done like Cara: shrugged her shoulder and say oh well. And that was what she wanted to do, but it was because she felt like she couldn't that made her all the more angrier. She wanted to be a good person and do good things, but it never felt good when it felt like you were being forced to be generous. And feeling forced caused her to feel guilty and frustrated that she felt forced to begin with. Makayla and Holly were her friends, and she should want to help, but Cara obviously wasn't going to help out, and this was impacting Chanel far more than it was impacting her, yet Cara was the one walking around like people were asking her for a million dollars. And because it's Cara, a million dollars was probably a quarter to her, so even less reason Cara had to be so fucking uppity right now. The comment the girl had made about the two jobs only hit harder then, because even with a second job, Chanel still wouldn't feel like she could just up and stop dating these men for money. She looked at the time on Cara's phone. She needed to see what was going on with Holly, and now Makayla because Ruby was making it seem like it was a serious matter, but Chanel didn't have time for that, and she felt terrible over it. She was overthinking a lot of this and making things worse for herself because she felt like she now needed to rush back to the apartment to check on Holly, and then take care of Makayla. If she didn't have anything to do tonight, she could take Holly's mind of things by having her help cook something and maybe that would cheer Makayla up. For many, a simple phone call would have sufficed, but now Chanel was panicking.

She quietly gave the phone back to Cara and pressed the bottom of her palm to her forehead and rolled her neck out. The fire in her stomach enticed her to tell Cara off. Go off about her little the girl knew, and how down right fucking bitchy and evil she was being. The girl seriously didn't have to worry about a damn thing, and she didn't have to! Instead, she cleared her throat and forced a smile, though this time it was probably quite apparent that it wasn't sincere. "Cara, girl," she said with a chuckle, this time that was actually genuine because the reality of everything was so downright unfair it was laughable. "Doesn't your dad pay your rent and the rest of your livelihood while you just chill out? That doesn't exactly qualify as on your own, does it?"

"When you don't have a billion-katrillionaire for a dad, no you can't really do too much on your own, which is why people work multiple jobs and reach out for help which is kind of what Holly is doing right now. And Makayla. But then they get chastised, and they stop asking for help, and then people wonder why they're in the same position." She had explained it quite pleasantly, though the tight smile on her face and the trained tone she was using so as to conceal how badly her voice wanted to shake made it more passive-aggressive. She stopped in the aisle a few steps later and shook her head, turning around to face the girl. "I know what you said to Ruby about us. Them," she corrected. "It makes me wonder what you say about me, and how easily. No, I'm not like Makayla and Holly, but I'm not like you either, Cara. I have to work two jobs because I don't have money because people like you are hoarding the damn thing." She raised her hands in front of her, as if there was a ball hovering between them. "You're still upset about Disney. You won't say it, but it's so obvious. It's so obvious, Cara. And the only reason you're giving me a break isn't because I'm your friend but because you don't think I'm like Makayla. I told you to take it out on me and not them, and look what's happening. And you're just being so callous as if it's everyone else's fault but your brother's for leaving the damn weed out where Holly would find it," Chanel said, and a bit more reluctantly she continued. "And mine too. Like obviously Holly couldn't get on the train by herself, but what was the other option besides you? But I'll go fix it because that's what people like us are here, for right? To fix the problems people like you create."

She dropped her arms by her side like heavy weights. She didn't actually feel any better. She just felt exhausted and confused. Turning away, she took out her phone, pulling up the Uber app. She didn't bother explaining why she was leaving her cart in the middle of the aisle. Once she called her Uber, which was thankfully only three minutes away, she texted Ruby.

To: Ruby
I saw what you said to Cara. I'm on the way. Idk if she's crying or anything, but can you just distract her while I'm en route? Get her to talk about her lava lamp or dogs or something that'll cheer her up. Did Makayla say where she was leaving?

Instead of waiting for a response, she scrolled through her contacts and found Makayla's. The cold was no longer bitter like it was just a few minutes ago. The temperature hadn't changed or anything, but Chanel was burning up and sweating under her clothes, her speeding heart and shaky fingers not at all helping the situation. For once the cold was actually welcomed and was quite soothing and calming. Her headache was still forming, but being outside felt like in a way she was removing herself from everything, even if but just briefly. She wouldn't allow herself to pity herself, and she wasn't going to blow up, she said to herself. She was doing a good thing, even if it did feel unfair. She was doing the right thing, which made her a good person. And for whatever reason, her pep talks seemed to work on everyone but herself. What was making things easier to digest was that because she wasn't going to dinner, that meant she could probably leave later. This was a blessing in disguise, she said to herself, and then feeling pretty bad about thinking that a beat later. Chanel looked back at her phone a bit solemnly. She pressed the call button, and as it rang, she texted the man she was supposed to be seeing tonight back. "send me the address"

"Um, hello?"

"I'm not a two beer queer like you, kid," Brooklyn warned, giving Collin a somewhat playfully cutting look. Brooklyn's alcohol tolerance was definitely higher than most, or at the very least, higher than one would expect for someone like her. She wasn't overweight, and as far as her own opinion was concerned, she didn't feel like she looked like an alcoholic. She could keep up with the best of them when it came to drinking though. Just working in the nightlife industry in itself for so many years could do that to a person, especially since her drink of choice was always hard liquor. She didn't mind wine, as today was proving, but if she actually wanted to feel something remotely quickly, she had to turn to the liquor. Regardless though, Collin's quip could only be answered with a no. She hoped to reach that point of oblivion, but she wasn't nearly there yet. "And even if I felt like telling you, it's not like you'd know what I was talking about. The only thing that hasn't worked in your favor in life is your mom dying," she explained, resting her glass on the counter as she poured the remainder of the bottle into it. It was possible that it was rude that she didn't offer any to him, but she obviously did not care. "And I can say that because I'm halfway there to being an orphan too," she added, raising her glass in a "cheers to that" manner, before taking a large sip.

Collin disliked speaking about his mother. It wasn't a subject that would bring him to tears at the mere mention, but it was one that always made him feel uncomfortable. He had been a kid when she had passed away, around five and a half years old, but he had been old enough to understand what death was. In fact, there had always been a part of him that had felt responsible for her death, even though he had no control over it. His mother had been involved and doting in his upbringing, and had only just went back to work once he started kindergarten. One week later, and she was dead. Never to be heard from or seen again. They weren't one of the ones who were "lucky" enough to get a rushed phone call at the end where she said they loved them and got out any final last words. There was no body to be recovered, and no co-workers who offered any reassuring words about how she had died quickly or had helped others escape. Months after it happened, they found a credit card with her name on it at the site. That was literally all that was left of her. Some would assume that losing a parent young would ease the pain of it, because you're less aware of what happened. Maybe that was true, Collin had nothing to compare it against, but even if it had eventually become his life and the norm, he never stopped wishing it hadn't happened. He wasn't sure if Brooklyn's claim that she could be callous about dead parents because she had one too held any weight, but he wasn't going to get in his feelings about it. "You don't know that that's the only bad thing that's happened to me," he did comment, however. It was the only major travesty that had occurred in his life but really, he still didn't think it was a fair claim for her to make. People didn't always need tragic life stories to have shitty lives, and he doubted hers was that theatrically sad to be speaking this way. "Put my empathy skills to the test," he challenged.

"I've seen the house you grew up in," she answered casually, shaking her head and smiling almost pitifully. "I couldn't even feel bad for you having to grow up with Cara once I realized just how comfortable you and your children, and your grandchildren, and your great-grandchildren will be." Brooklyn had not grown up poor, so maybe she was speaking unfairly, but in a similar sense to what Chanel was coincidentally addressing at the same time, blocks and blocks away with Cara, Brooklyn was no where near what the Forresters were. She could be living comfortably in the sense that her bills were not going to be late, and she wouldn't have to worry about starving, but she wasn't comfortable and set for the future. She didn't have that kind of security, and she never would. The vast majority of the world could only dream about having 1% of what that family had, and so yes, she felt like it negated Collin's right to relate to any injustices that occurred. At this point, she was sure she would feel a lot better about having a dead father, dead sister, shitty deadbeat mother, and a bleak outlook on the future if she had millions of dollars sitting idly in a trust fund for her. "But I guess it couldn't hurt to vent," she said with a sigh, sitting down across from him. Running her tongue across her teeth, she leaned forward with a mischievous smile. "Thinking of that big house of yours reminded me of something that might make me feel even better than that, though." She had to laugh at herself as she pulled back though, because it was hard to play the seductive card when it was Collin sitting across from her. Even if he obviously wasn't a child, just knowing that she had been his first made her think of him as being innocent and easy to toy with.

Her phone began to ring, and she looked at it with a bit of confusion when she saw that the caller ID read Chanel's name. They weren't friends... barely even knew each other, actually. Brooklyn didn't think they'd ever had a real conversation one on one, for that matter, but even if they had in passing, her eye rolls or apparent disinterest had probably ended it quickly. "It's your sister's friend, Chanel," she explained, somehow deciding that that was a better way to introduce the girl than just saying "Chanel", since she was their mutual neighbor and existed outside of Cara's domain. She put it on speaker phone before answering, doubting that anything the girl could have to say would be super private... and if it was, oh well.

"Um, hello?"

"Brooklyn? Hey, it's me Chanel. I hope I'm not bothering you or anything, but do you happen to be home? If so I really need to ask a big favor of you. I know you don't know me like that and probably don't like me very much, but can you please, please, please go over to my place and check in on Holly? She's asking for Cara, but that's not happening and Ruby's the only one there but I know she doesn't know what to do with her, but I know she adores you and I know you really care about her and are the only other person who could calm her down. You don't even have to stay at my place if you don't want to, you can bring her back to your place and that might make her feel better too." She was speaking a mile a minute, the pent up anxiety and leftover energy from her confrontation with Cara still waiting to be released. Her voice had finally given in and begun to waiver, but she cleared her throat and took a breath. "I don't mean to freak you out. I'm on 6th avenue right now and my Uber should be here any second so I'll be there soon, and then I can handle it."

Brooklyn could hear the stress and urgency in Chanel's words. The emotion was evident, and even in Brooklyn's eyes, the situation sounded pretty worthwhile of some compassion. She couldn't, though. She had to roll her eyes at Collin as a smirk crept to her face. "Sorry, I didn't catch that. What did you say?" She was being an ass, and the way that it was probably evident that she was smiling through her tone only attested to that. Though Collin looked bothered and oddly worried, actually, she was sure that if Roman was here, he would at least have enough humor to appreciate her comment. When Chanel responded in a defeated manner with "Brooklyn. Please,", she opted to drop the game for the moment. "Fine, fine. Time for Brooklyn to save the day as always!" Where she was pulling that from, only she knew, but she hung up Chanel's call before any more could be said on it.

"Come on," she said, motioning to Collin as she stood up. "She wants Cara. All we have to do is stick a wig and a skirt on you, and have you tuck your three incher up, and Holly gets the Walmart version of Cara. She won't even know the difference."

Hearing Chanel so stressed out sounding had bothered Collin. It wasn't necessarily because he was in love with her and felt the need to protect her or right any problems in her life, but more-so because he wasn't used to the always-chipper girl sounding like that. Brooklyn clearly didn't care or notice, but that was because Brooklyn was Brooklyn. Collin felt like the uneasiness that he felt in regards to it was just simple friendship, or even more-so, human empathy, over anything abnormally deep. It prompted him to text Chanel as he followed Brooklyn out of the apartment, barely listening to her remarks as they made their way across the hall.

To: Chanel
Brooklyn had you on speaker. Are you okay?

To: Cara
Apparently Holly wants you... where are you?

Brooklyn had knocked on the apartment door by the time that he tucked his phone back into his pocket. He had seen Ruby once or twice since she moved in, so luckily they wouldn't have to do the whole "oh my god, it's been so long" spiel now, but he still wasn't sure what to expect when the door opened, given how Chanel had been speaking.

So apparently, Chanel was trash. One of those pathetic losers that believed that everyone was responsible for their problems, but them. Collin leaving weed out somehow meant he had held a gun to Chanel and Makayla's head, forcing them to smoke it. Her family having money somehow meant that they were barring Chanel's family from making their own. It was sad really, that Chanel and so many other people possessed this victim sort of mentality that allowed them to feel comfortable with mediocrity. There were so many people in history who had turned nothing into everything, bad opportunities and hurdles upon hurdles into complete and utter success. Just because her family, and herself in particular, weren't cut out for success didn't mean that she had a right to fault Cara for being born into it. She had an easier life than many people; that was something that she was aware of. She couldn't change her life though. She didn't need to run the same race that Chanel and others had to run, because she had been born into the finish line already. It was the luck of the draw, and in her opinion, it was counterproductive and pathetic for people who weren't so lucky to use the privilege of others as an excuse to justify their own failures. As Chanel had so boldly pointed out, their lives were quite different. Maybe Cara had not always thought of it that way. It was easier to like someone when you felt like they were similar to you, and easy to relate to, and talking about life struggles wasn't fun, so it wasn't something Cara ever really delved into with Chanel. However, as Chanel walked out, Cara couldn't help but to wonder why Chanel wasn't doing more to fix her own life if she was so dissatisfied by it. People who desperately needed a job didn't take semesters off of college while still somehow paying rent and working entry level jobs, because they couldn't. As Chanel had admitted, she clearly wasn't "like Makayla", and so Cara felt like she had no right to be acting in such a self-pitying manner. She, of course, was unaware of the stress in Chanel's life that had pushed her to this point of exhaustion beyond her own comments, and she also ignored how this was an attempt at standing up for Makayla, and not just her own situation. If Chanel was going to be a bitch, then Cara would gladly view this as an ill-supported attempt at Chanel trying to garner pity for the lackluster life she had created for herself. She was tempted to let her know that the victim card didn't suit her well, but she allowed the girl to walk out without saying a word, though the barest hints of a smirk rested on her face as she watched the girl leave.

Pathetic.

It probably seemed callous that Cara could respond in such an emotionless way after someone who she considered to be a friend just spoke to her in such a manner. Cara wasn't an emotional person in that sense though, where she would break so easily face to face with someone. Especially not when she felt like someone was coming for her. She had dealt with enough drama as a child to know that it was best to handle these situations with a smile, and then proceed to ruin the other person later on, when you were back on your terrain and prepared. This had come out of left field -- she definitely had not been expecting Chanel to just fly off the handle like that (as she saw it), and so there was no use in responding in the moment... not only because she didn't have a prepared response, but also because Chanel was clearly too scared to back up her claims, as she left almost immediately after saying them. Apparently, she wasn't ready to actually speak about what was wrong, which was fine. She would left Chanel get the last word for now, because unlike her, Cara was mature.

Or so that was what she told herself as she headed towards the frozen foods section to pick up a carton of the ice cream she remembered Holly asking her to buy the last time they had been there together.

To: Collin

I know. I'm coming. Bring Holly to our place for me.

To: Ruby

I'll actually be there in 15. I think Chanel is bringing drugs home for Makayla to calm her down and honestly that's the last thing Holly needs to be around if it's as bad as I'm expecting it to be. You can bring her to my apartment for now. Collin should be there to let her in.

"Of course," Ruby had replied, upon Holly's request for her to call Cara. She noted how the girl had opted against answering her questions, but took into account that it may not have been purposeful. Whatever had transpired before Ruby had arrived, coupled with what she had witnessed and been involved in, had clearly been traumatic. Ruby had not even caught the merciless way Makayla had spoken to Holly, and though that certainly would have bothered her even more, it likely would have given her a clearer picture on why Makayla was filled with such rage. Although Ruby had a soft spot for children, she was keen on helping anyone who needed it, and given that she dealt with children, that almost always meant dealing with the family as a whole, too. If she knew the entire situation, she still would have felt like the way that Makayla had acted was unacceptable, but she would have been able to sympathize and extend more help than she could now. She would have seen Makayla's words as cries for help - the response of someone who was at their breaking point, and not just sheer, unnecessary anger. Although Ruby was quite startled by Makayla's actions, she wasn't taking them personally though, and she was still aware that she was missing necessary pieces to this puzzle that would play an essential role in fixing it. She had only lived with Makayla for a month but that was enough time to know that this was not in her character. She shared enough living space with the sisters to know that if abuse was occurring, it had to be happening very infrequently, because an outburst like this had never occurred before. It was hard not to think the worst after just watching that transpire, though.

Ruby's stress levels were high already, but when Cara declined her plea for help she could feel her heart race increase. She knew that she could deescalate this situation now that Makayla was gone, but she also understood that for Holly, having someone she knew and was comfortable with would probably mean the world's difference. Instead of telling her that Cara had callously declined to help, she put a hand on the girl's back and led her to the couch. "She said she's on her way back from somewhere and should be here soon," she lied, though by the grace of god, Cara texted her back a few minutes later to state just that. Turning the television on, Ruby hoped that she could distract Holly enough to calm her down and make her feel better, and then talk about it. "What do you want to watch?" she asked, handing Holly the remote. "I remember you saying you were a big movie fan. Maybe there's something good on Netflix." She headed into the kitchen, quickly grabbing a few tissues and a glass of water. Before she could bring them back to Holly, she noticed a text from Chanel, and promptly responded, because at this point, she was ready to take any help she could get. It probably sounded like she was selling herself short, or even overqualified to be reacting this way, but no amount of training could suddenly make an acquaintance more comforting to a child than an actual friend, and Ruby knew that.

To: Chanel
Hey, that would be great if you don't mind coming home. She's okay right now, I just haven't gotten to know her enough to a point where I feel like I can do as much good as someone she knows. Makayla didn't say where she was going. She was very angry and upset... cursing and I think she may have been getting physical with Holly too... It really caught me off guard. I've never seen either of them like this so I'm not sure if this is normal for you guys.

From what she knew, Chanel had lived here for quite a while, so she would be a better judge, too, in knowing whether this was alarming in the sense of it being abnormal, or possibly more alarming if she claimed that it was a regular occurrence. She returned to the living room and placed the tissues and water on the coffee table, when there was a knock at the door. Her body tensed up because she was sure that Chanel and Cara were both too far to have gotten here in just a couple of minute's time, so she could only guess that it was Makayla. She was hesitant to even open it, but she knew that it would look more alarming to Holly if she refused to answer it. Giving the girl a reassuring smile, she headed towards the door. She took a deep breath before opening it, and she purposely opened it just a crack, but was visibly relieved when it wasn't Makayla on the other end. She knew Collin, and recognized Brooklyn from seeing her in passing a few times, but she wasn't sure why they were here. "Hi," she offered with a smile, trying to shake herself back into normalcy. "Makayla and Chanel are out right now. I'm not sure if you're looking for one of them..."

"Nope, we're here for the kid," Brooklyn said, responding to Ruby with certainty as she gave her a quick up-and-down. She hadn't interacted with Ruby since the day the girl had moved in. While Brooklyn did enjoy pushing buttons when the opportunity presented itself, she wasn't a bully in the sense that she would every truly go out of her way to cause trouble. When situations were handed to her, she just couldn't resist, but she had enough to deal with in her own life that Ruby was essentially forgotten about immediately after that. They had probably passed a few times in the stairwell, but not frequently enough or in any ways that warranted true interactions that Brooklyn would even notice. Even if she wasn't kind initially, it wasn't like Brooklyn had any issue with Ruby. She didn't know her, and though no one could expect Ruby to know it, but being abrasive if it warranted a little bit of amusement was nothing personal. "A little birdie told me that you made her cry or something," she said with a confused shrug, purposely stirring the pot as she knew damn well that Chanel had not mentioned that at all.

As always, Brooklyn knew that she was going to regret being nice. She could have laughed at Chanel on the phone and hung up, or told her to fuck off because she had better things to do, as she had essentially done to Nick earlier. Brooklyn could definitely be heartless, but she was human and had the typical full range of emotions that anyone else had. She just preferred to suppress the softer ones and highlight the darker ones in favor of seeming more invincible. The fact that Chanel called her was enough of a pull at her conscience, since Chanel had never called her for anything before, and they weren't close. Brooklyn wasn't one for formalities, so she didn't feel like she had to be more polite to an acquaintance, but she was also intelligent enough to gauge a situation for what it was. She was a responsible person overall, even if it was typically in a selfish manner, but she knew when she needed to step up and do something. Besides, as much as she loved to hate Holly when she was in the right mood, she had a weirdly sweet relationship with the girl beneath it all. She didn't like to admit it, but she had a soft spot for Holly.

Collin was still slightly distracted with his phone when Ruby opened the door, so he hadn't been able to jump in and greet her in a nicer way before Brooklyn could. Rolling his eyes, he corrected the blonde beside him. He knew Ruby enough that he wasn't going to let Brooklyn fuck with her for the fun of it, especially when they were in a situation that he imagined was serious. "She's just messing with you," he explained a bit apologetically. "Chanel just called and said that Holly was upset. Cara just texted me and said that she's on her way, but we can take Holly over to our place for now," he explained. He didn't know Ruby well on a personal level, but he had known her for years... probably even since birth. They had never been close because she was older and a girl, so as a kid, he would never run to hang out with her even if they were in the same space, but he knew her well enough. He knew that his father got along well with her parents, and he was fairly certain that she was actually personally friends with his stepmother as well. Even if they didn't have an extensively deep personal relationship, he thought nothing but good things of the girl, because he knew that she came from a respected family, and that she was apparently quite bright and successful herself. It was an odd coincidence that she had ended up living here, but Collin had just supposed that his stepmother had recommended the building to her based on he and Cara's satisfaction with the place. "Did something happen? We didn't get much details on what was going down."

If Collin was going to be so quick to ruin the fun and be an honest stick in the mud, then Brooklyn didn't want to engage in this. Boring. She opted to invite herself into the house, side-stepping Ruby. She quickly spotted Holly on the couch, and she approached her with an eyebrow raised. "So, I heard you like Cara better than you like me," she said, only partially feigning offense as she referenced how Chanel had mentioned that she had originally wanted Cara. "I'll remember that the next time you come over to bother me." Holly did look a little off. The redness and puffiness in her eyes confirmed she had been crying, and you could see a bit of exhaustion or anxiety on her face, but she looked all right. A Holly in front of a TV was always a good idea. "You know what? You should tell that roommate of yours to order us some food," she said, sitting down beside Holly on the couch. She could have insisted on bringing Holly back to her place for her own convenience (not considering that Ruby may not have felt comfortable with that), but that meant that, from past experiences, she would have to stop Holly from touching her things and going into her room and just being a nuisance in her own space. If she was going to have to be a good person and babysit, she figured that she might as well do it somewhere where she wouldn't feel responsible for cleaning up any messes. In fact, as she was deciding now, maybe she could get something out of it herself. She was sure Chanel had to have some wine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back