• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chosen to the rift

Inu ran a finger along the bottom of his chin

"I can certainly ensure our safety in the wilds, at least from what nature would bring. I understand that you seek to protect those who are innocent, but we must be cautious. We shall see if we can leave the city tomorrow, but I do not expect it to be as easy as walking out the front gate. We'll need some manner of reason to leave, such as a request from the townsfolk, or an item we mean to seek out. That is, of course, assuming they let anyone leave at all."

Karen lets out a sigh. "We may have to attach ourselves onto a caravan as guards, or trust in the good lord to be able to guide us out of town under the guise of adventurers. Either way, I suspect that there is much traveling in our future as we seek our fortunes and the means of freeing these people."

In any case, Karen begins to ponder where they could go to find out more information on the origin of these Chosen, their goals, and eventually, their weaknesses. Is there a roll you would like me to make to come up with some ideas?

"Let us settle in for the night. With the dawn will be new ideas and possibilities available to us. One place I would like to check in on while I am here is the local church of Heironeous, my patron deity, both to make my religious observances and also to see if there is any information we can acquire about the local situation." True to her words, Karen shrugs out of her armor and props her sword up next to her bed in easy reach, just in case it was needed through the night.

Inu soon followed Karen's lead, lying down on the floor with Weiss curled up beside him. He gathered only a single blanket for comfort during the night.

Rine, as was his custom, stayed up later than most others, reading his books. Eventually, though, fatigue forced him to sleep.

Inu awoke with the sun the next morning, spending an hour pouring over his spell book and meditating.

(prepared spells: Cantrips: Message, Mage hand, Ray of frost. Orisons: Cure minor wounds, Detect magic, flare. 1st level wu-jen: Backbiter, Magic Missile. 1st level druid: Produce flame, Cure light wounds)

He did not disturb his companions, and waited for them to wake in their own time

With dawn Karen rises. She takes her time getting ready, before finally settling down at the foot of her bed as she bows her head in prayer. Finally feeling refreshed, the swordswoman once more dons her armor and sets her sword into its place on her back. "Let us get something to eat, then we can find the local church. While my prayers here are sufficient to prepare my spells, I long for the sanctity of a true house of worship. It will be an added bonus to get some information on our opponents."

Cantrips: Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light

Level 1: Bless, Shield of Faith, Magic Weapon

Inu walks over to the window, taking a peek at the street just being greeted by the rays of the sun.

"There is a gathering outside. Several soldiers with the mark of the chosen upon their breasts are present. There appears to be some manner of leader about to make a speech."

Rine got out of bed, groggy and still a little tired from the lack of proper sleep. "What are they saying?" He asked.

OOC

Spells are staying the same.

"Let us find out. But this time, lets try not to get into a battle with them. We need information more than the satisfaction of killing these scum."

"I do not relish the thought of battle in broad daylight with a full battalion. There is a crowd gathering, we can likely listen without being pinpointed."

Pulling a cloak out of her backpack, Karen throws it over her shoulders to make a cursory attempt to conceal her armor and weapons. "Lets be on our way and see what this announcement has to say. We may learn something of these Chosen by listening to it."

Inu opened the door and headed down the stairs, Weiss jumping up behind him

"There is a crowd gathering outside the inn it seems."

"How many of these Chosen are there? Their numbers may give us a clue on what is about to happen."

Inu walks out of the inn, which leads almost immediately through a crowd. Unfortunately, Inu is only about 5"4, making seeing through the crowd difficult.

(roll pending)

[dice]6420[/dice]

"I can see what appears to be their leader. He is wearing the scale mail with a blue dragon head fashioned out of the left shoulder plate. I can see five others with the emblem of the chosen upon their breast around him. Though I assume more are keeping the crowd back."

(roll pending)

[dice]6421[/dice]

"The man with the scale mail . . . he has soul melds shaped about his form. A pair of gauntlets, that amulet around his neck, and the pauldrons layered over his shoulders."

The man in question was about 6'5, easily allowing him to tower over the rest of the populace present. He was wearing a well polished set of scale mail armor, and a sword about 5 feet long was strapped to his back. Over his shoulders was the sheen of black pauldrons, around his neck the faint white glow of a shimmering necklace, and a brilliant glow of sapphire in the visage of gauntlets around his hands. His eyes were dark brown, and his hair the color of autumn, neatly trimmed and with a small amount of scruff to match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rine followed the others, keeping a sharp eye about his surroundings.

[dice]6435[/dice]

(Neither Karen nor Rine notice anything besides what Inu has pointed out)

The crowd was whispering and murmuring constantly as the three made their way within. What had caused the gathering? Who was this man? As if in response to the murmurs, the large man raised his open palm, his presence instantly quieting all speech.

"People of this city. I am the watcher, charged by your betters to watch over this place and ensure nothing cracks the order we keep. Last night, that order was challenged. Three of my men were found dead in the street, murdered in cold blood. Know this: those responsible will be caught, and they will face their judgement. Anyone with information on those responsible is required to find one of our number and relay that information. Anyone found hiding such information will be given judgement as one of those responsible. And for those who did this . . . know that your days are numbered. The city is locked down until we can find these traitors."

Immediately there was an outcry among those in the crowd, quickly silenced when the sound of steel crashing against the cobblestone road was heard. The man had drawn his giant blade without question

"None may leave the city. Anyone out past sundown will be taken in for questioning. The sooner these murderers are found, the sooner these restrictions will be lifted."

With that, he continued down the street with his entourage, presumably to spread the word in other areas of the city. The crowd started to split up, many talking about who could be responsible.

"Well, I suppose that's to be expected." Muttered Rine to the others. "In truth though, all that's really changed is that we will have to be much more cautious. On the one hand, we could stay and use this against them and build up a rebellion under their nose. On the other hand, smuggling ourselves out as we discussed earlier will be harder now, but will likely make things better for the people here in the long run."

Karen frowns, but doesn't disagree with Rine. "Well. It seems our path has been set by those around us. No matter. The just will overcome. Let us find my local chaperhouse of the church of Heironeous. I am anxious to learn what we can there."

Sense Motive roll:

[dice]6494[/dice]

(Karen, you get to add your wisdom to the roll, no matter, everyone rolled high enough for the general feeling. Both Rine and Karen, you don't think inciting a rebellion is really going to work among the common folk. They are too intimidated by the power of this "watcher")

Inu nods at Karen

"I ask you to lead the way . . . though we should be cautious. I have a feeling those around us would sooner turn us in to relax the watcher's hold."

"Agreed. We shall be the mouse running forth to find his meal under the watchful eyes of the cat." She looks about her, trying to get her bearings. "I believe that the church we seek is this way." Karen waits patiently for the crowds to thin out instead of forcing her way through them. Once the way is clear, she starts out on her chosen path.

(Karen, please make either a gather information check, a knowledge(local) check, or a knowledge(religion) check to find the temple area. Rine, if you are so inclined to help, you can make either a gather information check or knowledge(local) check)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back