• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chosen Family (Reposted)

PunkPrince

Elder Member
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Jupiter stumbled back into the dressing room as the song ended and the crowd burst into applause. It took all their energy not to collapse. They stumbled forward, only to be caught by Eva. "Get me...out...of this corset," they gasped, wiping their forehead. Unfortunately, the attempt to wipe away the sweat also managed to wipe away the eyebrows they had put so much work into earlier in the night.

"Fuck," Jupiter sighed as Eva unlaced the black waist cincher and let it drop to the floor. The woman gave their shoulder a gentle squeeze. "You were brilliant. Nicely done. Now sit down before you collapse. Take a breath before you worry about your eyebrows." She pushed Jupiter down into the nearest chair, and they ran a hand through their short blonde hair. It had remained styled up, despite the amount they had sweated. They had chosen to go without a wig that night, more of a genderfuck look, which worked for the song they had just done. They took a few minutes to catch their breath and then shuffled toward the dressing room mirror, leaning on their elbows and taking a black pencil to etch their dramatic brows back in and touch up the rest of their makeup. Not perfect, but it'd do. That number had been their last for the night. They just needed to look okay to go out and mingle. Or step out and get some air.

They pulled a studded leather vest on over their otherwise now bare chest. No tits for this look either. As they turned away from the mirror, the dressing room door opened and the small figure of Tommy Gunn slipped inside. He was the only drag king of the show that night, and he had stayed out of the dressing room to watch Jupiter's last number. He grinned at them and extended a hand toward Jupiter. "I believe these belong to you," he said, his voice and height being the only indicator of the woman that he was when he scrubbed off all the makeup and removed the duct tape that kept his chest taped back. He held the tips Jupiter had earned during the number, which Jupiter accepted with a nod.

"Thank you, Tom," they said with a grin. Kennedy looked up from the corner of the dressing room, where she was hastily lacing Jupiter's panicking brother Ronan, or as he stood now, Kyra, into a corset. Kyra was always in a constant panic before a show, whereas she was usually quite calm otherwise. But shows were another story. She was so concerned with looking good and not forgetting anything. "I'm sure you were wonderful, as usual," Kennedy said. She hadn't been able to watch the number, having had to struggle with getting the twins switched out of the costumes from their first numbers. "Certainly made enough tips."

"Where's my wig?" Ronan asked, glancing around and scrambling about the dressing room, nearly knocking Jupiter over in the process.

"It's in your bag," Tommy said, adjusting his outfit and rummaging through the duffel bag that held most of Ronan's things before tossing the curly blonde wig toward him. Ronan pulled it on and Kennedy began securing it with bobby pins.

Hugo, in contrast to his anxious brother, actually seemed to be quite calm, a rarity for him. He leaned toward the mirror putting the finishing touches on his makeup, dressed as Kyra, of course. Tommy nudged in beside him and after analyzing himself and his outfit in the mirror for a moment, shrugged and said, "Good enough."

"Is your mother here?" Eva asked, and Jupiter, as usual, watched Tommy's expression go from confused to recognition. She was asking about his drag mother, not his real mother. His real mother wouldn't be caught dead in a place like this, and everyone knew it. His drag mother, Cherie, had been Eva's drag sister, the pair having learned their skill under the same person, a burlesque dancer named Marcus, though Cherie wasn't a trans woman like Eva was.

Tommy shook his head. "Not tonight. Lita was here for a while, but she had to go home before her dad got home from work." Lita, out of drag known as Cody, was one of his drag sisters. His dad had no idea he did drag, and he had done his best to keep it a secret for the past year and a half. At least Tommy's parents knew, even though they were less than supportive. Jupiter was lucky not to have that problem, at least not anymore.

They had with their aunt and uncle. It had been horrible. But once they had met Eva and Kennedy and ended up living with them, they hadn't had to hide who they were anymore. Neither had Ronan or Hugo. It had felt strange. Acceptance had been such a foreign thing to the three of them. In some ways it still was, even after two years. The idea of their identity not being punished was a strange one.

Jupiter glanced at their reflection and then said, "I'm gonna go get some air. I'll be back before the second half of the show. 'Scuse me," they chirped, slipping past Kasha and out the dressing room door. They weaved through the crowd of people and slipped out the back door, a sigh of relief escaping as the cool air hit their face and they stepped outside. The quiet was a nice contrast to the constant noise of the bar.

They sat down on the concrete steps and gazed around the darkened street. They stood up after a moment, stretched, and walked slowly along the wall of the bar, running a hand over the brick exterior, tapping their bright red nails against it as they moved. Their mind drifted, and they jumped back as they suddenly bumped into someone. "Sorry!" they said quickly, taking a few steps back.

As they focused on who they'd bumped into, they let their guard down a bit. This was just a kid, not a threat to them. Sge looked...hesitant, for lack of a better word. "Hey," Jupiter said. "Are you okay?"

Maeve was suppose to be home immediately after the school day. She was suppose to sit in the dining room and do homework until her father got home. He'd check her homework, find some flaw in it, and go berserk if she happened to miss more than three problems. It was an awful process that filled her with self loath and fear. This was a different day. She had gotten premission from her father to spend the night at Mary Ann's house. The girl was a good Catholic with a great family. The girl also loved to lie to her parents. Even the best people have flaws.

Mary Ann had concocted a lie so believable that both teenagers could be out of the house without her parents paying any mind. The other girl didn't care what it was. She didn't really want to know.

Maeve was going to sneak into a bar; her friend was going to spend the evening with her boyfriend. Neither would tell the other's secret. Neither was willing to risk it. Mary Ann's father had the same temper and iron fist that the red headed's father did.

They were going to meet back at Mary Ann's house at four. it was all suppose to be perfect. Maeve would meet Lissa with the fake IDs. They'd see a drag show. She had even called it a date over text. The thought made her smile. Everything was going to be perfect. She had gotten ready in the gas station bathroom two blocks down from the bar. She had taken a cab there. The cab smelled like women and booze. The bathroom didn't smell too different.

She almost looked pretty when she looked into the mirror. There was a crack in it but even the crack couldn't change the lack of beauty she was seeing. Her face was coated with her mother's concealer. She had tried so hard to cover the bruise against the side of her face. She tried to keep the circles around her wrists from view. She looked a lot worse under the outfit. That was why she had chosen something that covered her arms completely. She couldn't have Lissa seeing. She couldn't have anyone seeing.

The two block to the bar were filled with doubt and worry. If her father found out... She tried to push the thought completely out of her mind. She did what she could to keep it completely out of her mind. She was so worried that she didn't even see where she was going. She nearly ran over a person. She stumbled backwards. Fear flickered through her eyes. It dissipated when she realized that no one was made. The person apologized, she echoed it,"I'm so sorry," her words had a faint accent. Her parents's were much, much heavier.

The person wanted to know how she was. They were catching onto her worry. She was terrified. Her eyes moved to the space around them. It was pitch black outside. It was dangerous. Her father didn't like her talking to strangers. Her father didn't like her doing a lot of things she was doing right now. What did it matter?

"I...um...I," her phone buzzed before she could get out an answer. It's Lissa. I'm so so sorry Maeve. My sister got her car taken away. She can't take me out to the bar anymore. I'm so sorry. I won't be able to make it. The girl's face fell. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't believe it. This was bad. This was so bad. Her father was going to find out. Her father was going to kill her. "I'm sorry. I just," she slipped her phone into her pocket. She shook her head. "Sorry...my date just cancelled." She couldn't think straight.

They looked back at the kid's face. It had the same look etched on it that had once constantly been on Jupiter's face, on Ronan's face, on Hugo's face, on the face of every queer kid they had ever met who was desperate to find some sort of safe haven. It was a look of desperation mixed with terror, and it was something Jupiter never stopped noticing.

Jupiter had only noticed it once Eva had pointed it out to them. They still saw it on their brothers and their friends from time to time. In the looks of sheer terror on Cody's face when he narrowly beat his father home and managed to keep his secret for another day, the look of exhaustion when Tommy returned to a house where a core part of himself was not acknowledged. It always hurt to see it on people. It was a look people who weren't queer neither wore nor noticed.

They scanned the kid over again. Her face was familiar. Jupiter had once or twice seen her lingering outside the front doors peeking in, the same way Jupiter had when they had been struggling to build up the courage to just try and go. Of course, the drag makeup had helped. Those in drag were very rarely carded going into bars. But this kid was clearly young, and clearly a good amount smaller than anyone else around him. Someone like her was probably a lot safer inside than he was outside.

They noticed the bruise on the girl's face. The makeup had smeared. Where had the bruise come from? Had somebody hit her? For Jupiter, that was just the automatic assumption they made when noticing a bruise. It probably had something to do with the way they had grown up. The way the rest of their family had. Being the way that they were had led to a lot of abuse. Physical, emotional, occasionally sexual for some of them. It was just to be expected that abuse came with the territory now.

"I'm sorry about your date," Jupiter said. "But you really shouldn't be out here alone. It's dark. They turned to look at the bar door again. "If you're not going to go...wherever it is you live, would you like to come in? It's not a great idea for you to be out here on your own. I know you're not old enough to get in on your own, but my moms are in the show, and my siblings and I too. I could get you in probably if I made it look like you were helping out in the dressing room or something. I've seen you lingering around out here a few times before. The owners of this place know my family well enough to let us bring people in as long as they don't end up drinking."

Jupiter had tasted alcohol once or twice, but not until well after they had met Eva and Kennedy. They'd stolen a sip out of Eva's cup in the dressing room and hadn't really cared much for the taste. Eva had never found out, thank god, but they'd never bothered with alcohol after that. Jupiter shivered and leaned up against the brick wall of the bar. It hadn't been wise to come out here without a top on, and the leather vest didn't really help much at all. Too cold to stay out here for long. They should really probably be getting back in anyway. With Kasha so stressed, the least Jupiter could do was watch the actual number.

"What do you say?" Jupiter said, turning back to the girl. "My drag sister is doing her second number in a couple of minutes. I should probably go in and watch it. I'm Jupiter, by the way."

Maeve was silent as the person studied her. She did the same to them. This person didn't look like they wanted to hurt her. This person didn't look like they were going to call her father. That was her biggest concern at the moment. Their eyes found her bruise and lingered over it. She opened her mouth to explain. A quick lie was sitting on her lips. She would have spilled it, had they asked. They didn't, thank god.

She shifted her weight a bit uncomfortably at the talk of how they had seen her around. She had been here twice. She never got up the nerve to go in. How could she possibly get in? Her and Lissa had never thought that far in advance. She couldn't keep a fake ID and who would believe she was twenty one if they say her face? She looked young. She looked afraid.

Time with her father had made her timid. She couldn't help it. She felt uneasy when the person suggested that she go inside. They thought it was safer inside then out. That was probably true. Maeve knew one thing for certain any place was safer then going home.

She studied the person's face. They were the show? They had two moms? Her eyes light up just a bit. Green flickered under the street light. It made her smile a bit to hear talk of queer individuals having an existences that wasn't solely abuse and pain. It gave her home. This person seemed so put together. This person looked like they experienced happiness.

Maeve thought she would experience happiness tonight. She was absolutely sure of it. That was before Lissa had texted her. Her light eyes found the other person's once again. "I...um...I-I," she was stammering a bit. It shouldn't have been this hard to just give an answer. She didn't have to be at Mary Ann's until four. What else could she possibly do?

"Sure...I'd really like that. Thank you." She offered a hand for the person to shake. Her father absolutely insisted on respect like that. It was just second nature. She didn't pay mind to the bruising that shadowed her own wrist. It was just normal for that to be there. She was use to it. "I'm Maeve."

"Maeve," Jupiter said, smiling as they spoke. "I like your name. It's pretty." They shook the girl's hand and turned back the way they had come, shuffling quickly back toward the door, their muscles having tensed in an attempt to keep out the cold. They scrambled quickly back inside, holding the door open for the girl and then quickly pulling it shut. "Sorry," they apologized quickly. "Cold. I'm guessing you've never been in a bar before? The only reason I got in my first time was because I snuck in."

They chuckled softly at the memory. Their makeup had been a mess, blended poorly, and then there had been that wig...it was an unspoken rule that nobody ever mentioned the thing. It had been a thin, mousy brown one, and probably would have found its way into the trash had Tommy not been around. Jupiter had given it to him and it had been cut to near microscopic bits that the drag king now used to fashion his beards when he chose to have been. Tonight's had simply been a thin chinstrap.

They had been planning to go and search for a familiar face, but they didn't have to look for long before Tommy nudged his way up beside them. "Hey," he greeted. "You missed most of the break." The music that had been blaring during the break was fading out. "You're gonna fucking die when you see that dress though."

"I've already seen–"

"No but I mean
on her. Especially under these lights." He noticed Maeve then. "Well hello," he greeted. "I didn't see you. I'm guessing you're with this one?" He motioned to Jupiter as he spoke. "I'm Tommy. Or Haley. Whichever. I'm Tommy to everyone around here, at least."

"This is Maeve," Jupiter said, not wanting the already nervous girl to have to bother with introductions while being as frazzled as she had seemed.

"Our next performer," Jupiter looked up. Eva had returned to the stage again to introduce Kasha. Jupiter looked to Maeve and mouthed 'my mom,' before returning their attention to the stage. "Is one I love, even if she does steal every decent pair of heels I own. Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between, Miss Kasha Currie!" She slipped from the stage again, giving Jupiter's shoulder a gentle tap as she passed them and headed back to the dressing room again. No doubt to help the others.

The lights dimmed the

started, and Kasha appeared on the stage, bearing the usual thick, curly blonde wig and black high heels. And though Jupiter had already seen the dress, they had to admit that Tommy had been right. It was stunning. The dress was a slimming black one that reached the floor, but had been covered in shards of broken glass. Mirrors, more specifically. Jupiter had watched her smash a large one up, cutting herself more than once. The lights radiated off the dozens of glass shards as she stepped gracefully onto the stage. It was more fitting for the number than Jupiter had originally thought it would be.
Kasha's movements throughout the song were as usual, dramatic and full of energy. Her way of taking tips was no different, and each tip was rewarded with some sort of interaction with the person it came from, most often with them being pulled into the number for a few seconds and then shoved away again with a flirtatious grin from the slender queen.

Everything went normally until near halfway through the song.

I'm the gypsy,

The acid queen

Pay me before I start

I'm the gypsy, I'm guaranteed

To tear your soul apart

At the start of the verse, Kasha jumped into the air and slammed down onto the stage on her knees, purposely making sure the thud of bone and her weight slamming against the hard stage floor could be heard. Jupiter's face lit up, an expression punctuated with roars from the crowd. The song eventually came to an end, and Kasha disappeared from the stage again, the tips from the number scattered where she had dropped them.

"You gonna help me with these or am I on my own again?" Tommy asked, slipping onstage to gather Kasha's tips. Jupiter followed after him, and standing up after grabbing the last dollar, saw Eva drifting past Kasha as she exited the dressing room for her own number, announced by the DJ, stopping only to peck Kasha on the cheek and say something Jupiter couldn't hear. They motioned to Maeve to follow them as they headed to the dressing room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maeve thanked Jupiter for their compliments over her name. She liked their name as well though she silently wondered where it had originated from. Was it their birth name? She had her doubts. It was cool though. Maeve had been passed down to her from her mother's mother. It was an old Irish name. A good Irish name. The thought was that the one who held onto the name would be a good Irish girl. If only.

They entered the bar and she was overwhelmed with the sight. The lights were bright. The chatter was loud. Her senses were going on overdrive. Her eyes moved over each individual that she could. There were so many people. Green eyes landed on the older person coming towards. He offered a name and a friendly smile. She subconsciously took a step back and gave a small wave. It was about all she could give. She was silently grateful that Jupiter had introduced her.

Her attention moved onto the stage. The scene made her eyes widen. A legitimate smile formed as the music started to play. She couldn't help but sway right on along to it. The whole scene...the whole scene was better then she could have ever imagined. It was magnificent. It was enchanting.

To herself she wished that Lissa had accompanied her. The girl was a lot more social and outgoing. She would have danced with the other girl. She would have held her hand. She would have made Maeve feel special. Instead she was here with two complete strangers. Somehow she felt safer here then she ever did at home. It was all such an amazing feeling.

The music came to an end and she clapped along with everyone else. Her lips were pulled up into a massive smile. She was happy. The two older people went off to get tips and she was alone. She didn't feel alone. She felt good here. She felt welcomed. Jupiter waved her over beyond the stage. Surprise moved through her eyes but only for a moment. She bearded after the person as her smile relaxed into a smooth one c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back