Character Sheet Ideas

Many roleplays use the bare essentials that they need when making character sheets. By now, we know the drill: character's name, appearance, who they work for, etc. Every once in awhile people add extra things to character sheets. I encourage storytellers to do this-- it adds flavor to an otherwise cookie cutter character sheet.

This thread can be extended by anyone. Got an idea, but don't want to use it? If you need a place or it, or want to share it with others and get comments, write it down for everyone to see.

---

For a few characters and a few roleplays, I have been beginning to do character sheets like this. It is not set or defined specifically; I like doing it this way because I always have character development as a high priority. So, instead of having people describe their character's personality, I ask them to split their character's personality into five major traits and four lesser traits. Having the numbers high or low doesn't matter; what it really does is show how a character is likely to act and react.

This is a point-based personality system from 1 to 20 where anything that is 1 to 4 or 16 to 20 is unrealistic unless someone is probably insane or they are not from this world. Or universe.

Style - How "traditional" a character is. A lower number means that a character likes sticking to rules-- the traditional way of doing things. These characters tend to be quite formal and if they know a skill of some sort, they probably learned it formally through a teacher or institution. A higher number means that a character is used to do things their own way. They may not like rules very much and stick to their own code. These characters are free style; they lean towards experimentation and can adapt easily to new situations and environments. If this character knows a skill of some sort, they probably learned it by themselves or adapted it to fit their own style.

Grace - This is a peculiar trait where is there is Physical Grace and Mental Grace, so a character has two Grace values, each one from 1 to 10 (max of 20). Characters with a lower number are likely to not think things through as they are doing them. They are clumsy either physically or mentally; they tend to run into people or objects and/or tend to forget things they probably should be remembering. These characters may be clumsy, but it also makes them unpredictable-- and depending on the side their on, dangerous. A higher number means that these characters like to plan. They like to calculate and make sure plans that they or someone else concoct go smoothly. If problems arise, they have prepared multiple ways to smooth them out or make them go away. However, these characters tend to be impatient and get frustrated when things aren't going their way.

Courage - A character with a lower number tend to be timid and unsure of their own opinions. They may be easily swayed by the opinions of others and may find it difficult to stand up for themselves when trouble arises. A character with lower Courage is also not as hard headed and likes to think before taking action. A higher number means a character knows what they are doing and why they are fighting for it. Their mind is already set and one would need an incredible argument to alter their opinion. These characters will rise, face, and fight the challenges in front of them with all they are capable of. However, they also tend to be stubborn and refuse to listen to others, even if the others are correct and they are wrong.

Joy - A character's outlook on situations. A lower number means that a character is more likely to criticize ideas and be cynical, but also tend to be honest when it comes to telling others how they feel and feel guilty if they cannot do something right. A higher number means that a character is a positive thinker and has faith in the words of others, but they may lie occasionally if it means not hurting another person's feelings. These characters let others know of their opinion and make sure their voice is heard, but it doesn't always mean they are telling the truth.

Friendship - How easy it is for a character to make friends and/or understand the feelings of others. A lower number means that this person is more introvert. They would prefer the indoors and may not be interested in small talk, but these people tend to be independent and very reliable as a friend. However, if they are troubled, they usually do not tell anyone. A higher number would mean they are more extrovert and may like to gossip about other people. It could be difficult for these people to keep secrets. They are active as a person and are comfortable talking to large groups of people.

The lesser traits are more straight forward, but just because they're called "lesser" doesn't mean they are not important.

Humor - How much does the character laugh or find things humorous? This doesn't necessarily mean that a character is good at being funny! A lower this number is, the less likely they are to find something to laugh at.

Approach - How easy is it for others to approach the character? Do they always look busy? The lower the number, the more difficult it is for another character to approach this character.

Education - How educated is the character? A lower number means they probably didn't care much for school. A higher number means they've learned quite a lot and value education.

Love - What does a character think about intimate and romantic love? The lower the number, the less interest one has about intimate and romantic love.

This strategy of doing personalities does not mention anything specific. Why? The second most important thing I find about a story: the secrets that characters keep. Biographies are demanding and sometimes a DM demands that everything is known about a character. Even the things that they would never talk about with other people. A normal person knowing this information without have ever meeting the character is unrealistic; they would never bring it up, so how is it possible for anyone to already know it?

Then I hear, "But I have this huge idea of the kind of person I want to roleplay." Write the full biography, then keep it to yourself. As for the character sheet a person is submitting, chop it up. Whenever I tell a roleplayer to give me a biography, I tell them to think of it this way: "What would this character tell someone about themselves if that someone is a person the character had never met before?" A random person off the street just got curious and wants to know who the character is. No normal person would talk about their entire life.

All I do (as DM) is verify the character's unbotched bio and make sure there's nothing game-breaking. Then a roleplayer must stash it away and play a character that knows nothing about everyone else. Is your character a good friend of another character? Does your character have some dirt on someone else? Work together; show your character bio to this other roleplayer, but only what a roleplayer would want this specific person knowing. Everyone has something they won't tell others. Not friends. Not family. It's stuff that is personal and no one elses' business. I've had people submitting biographies as short as "I'm just passing by. I don't like causing trouble." or "My character works for [X]. He as a badge as proof of being a part of the staff. They're here for [Y] reason."

Went clicking links just now to explore the place, and I am glad to have stumbled upon this. I find this to be a good, quality idea. That said, I wonder why it didn't occur to me. Usually when I think of assigning numbers it has to do with the RPG-specific skills, for example in games such as Dragon Age upon character creation when the player is given a set amount of points to assign to a number of different skills. In this case, however, the skills share the same budget as opposed to Ignitedstar's system.

My previous RP experience was a bit of D&D which is heavy on rules and complicated when laid out to beginners, so I took shelter in a very freebuild RPG on some Tolkien forum. I'm not really into all the RP classifications (nation builder, pathfinder, etc) and I think what we played back there was as simple as it gets. It was more a joint storytelling, without any numbers at all. The sheet contained things like name, origin, appearance, skills, strengths, weaknesses and background. The GM wrote and we replied but it was too unorganized for me, or rather undefined. I planned to make a kind of a hybrid RPG that would be straightforward, easy to understand and follow, while still being governed by some numbers and not solely my own mind.

So I would prepare a budget of let's say 40 points to be assigned to the following:

• Strength
  • Endurance
  • Agility
  • Willpower
  • Wisdom

These are four general abilities, after which there would be specific RPG-related skills such as, but not limited to: Melee Weapons, Ranged Weapons, Magic (potentially several magic skills, each for one school of magic), Armor or Defense etc.

Players distribute the ability budget, while their skill scores are determined by the GM who draws them out from what the players told him about themselves. Their backgrounds, what they did, where they were, what happened to them in the past - all of that affects what they might be skilled at. When the GM introduces his world along with all the potential factions, guilds, organizations and the like, he might also do something like this:

Ironclaw Mercenaries

An organization led by X, active in the area of Y, with the history of Z.

Hint: Members generally have 8-15 in Melee Weapons, 7-12 in Ranged Weapons and 5-9 in Tactics.

This allows the players to take more interest in specific groups, because that directly affects their skill scores. There is still a relatively wide space left for individual adjustments based on their character's background, and even if a player chooses to be a neutral freelancer the GM can still assign points by other means. Hints like this above add more elements for the players to consider when making a character and planning his future throughout the game.

Note:

I've been thinking this through as I was writing it, and I will most likely expand this post as my theories progress. It is also likely that my RPG will utilize an advanced system based off this. All comments, thoughts and general feedback are welcome by any means, both during the development of this system and later once it's done (if such a thing exists).

A funny (in a mysterious way) discussion happened with a good friend of mine-- someone whom had been roleplaying for years. We kinda stopped together (then again, at the site I used to RP at we all kind of quit together). As I brought up character sheets, we began to discuss the merits of them. We're both done roleplays and we've attempted at writing other fiction: short stories (I'm better at this), essays, novels (he's more successful at this), etc. After about an hour of heated debate, we brought each other to the conclusion that the best option was not having a character sheet at all.

It brought us back to a certain person I'm thinking of that created an RP where character sheets were abolished with the idea that we make a character, then watch them fly. Or fall. It's very unorthodox-- but thinking about it now that I'm older, I like this method a lot more. Those short stories that I write-- and the novels that my friend tries to create-- we ARE doing this. Neither of us really thought about the characters in the stories we make. They just... appear.

Then I brought up leitmotifs. As this topic continued, I got an idea...

This is a marvelous idea! So many RPs here seem to need an entire life-story written out before they accept you. It's a problem for me, cause I like to play as an 'anathema' of sorts; a character with minimal relation to the story, who serves as an entertaining background event for the real characters and their stories. Creating a backstory to 'explain' why this character acts the way s/he does is near-impossible; and - especially for comic-relief characters - it often ends up sounding like a lame excuse.

This idea is much more flexible, from both a Roleplaying and characterization perspective.

Damn, I was looking for this thread. Good decision to make this subforum. Thanks.

To add to current discussion: While I do find the mentioned approach interesting, I think I would prefer a simplified character sheet as opposed to no sheet at all. Though I must state, it depends on the type and nature of the RPG. Some games would benefit more from no sheet, some from simple sheets, and others from detailed long sheets. The RPG itself as the Storyteller wills it to be is what impacts the sheet issue the most.

I've always used whatever char sheet the ST is using as a means of keeping notes on the char. Whatever numbers are used are just the way of saying "He's good at these things, but not good at these other things". And plot hooks and story seeds get written down to remind me "Oh, yeah, he's got this hook over here that would fit into our current arc really well right.....HERE." The main problem I've watched over the years I've been roleplaying with char sheets (and to be honest, RP systems) hasn't been with the numbers/sheets themselves as it is getting a player who's too focused on those numbers as a means to "win".

All that said, I really like the idea mentioned above by Ignited. Having the means as an ST to guess which way a PC is going to jump would help craft stories meant to play on the player's image of his/her char.

... You know. You just gave me an idea. With a bit of unorthodoxy rules, I could turn that into a roleplay that I didn't think would work very well.

Personally I prefer to stick to established systems, so I use character sheets from the appropriate source.

Time was I loved freeform games with perhaps not even an existing setting, and I still think those can be fun, but over the years I've come appreciate the value of a solid rule system and established setting.

I find that restrictions can help to flavour and texture the game, you see, and system has a very definite effect on tone. As long as the setting has blanks that groups can fill in to suit their game, you're set.

To me, the character sheet is not the biography of the character (though it should reflect it), it's merely the manifestation of your character with the system.

That said, for most PBP games I like to add 'Theme Song' to the basic info.

I might be stealing this and putting into something I am working on for some of my regular game brekers players. However, I do have a question about chacter development as the story moves along. Should that be something where the GM would give them points to apply or would the GM add and subtract as they PCs act out their part? For example, if someone dumps a personal style because the charater ends up joining a military unit or something happens to scare the heck out of the character and they suddenly develop an irrational fear? Or they were a happy character, but then they found out they caused the destruction of their home town? And of couse, the reverse of these can also come into play.

I had been thinking about that... but never actually got to writing it down.

My take on it was that these kinds of character sheets were only to be used as a foundation for a character. After that, I suppose that would depend on you. If you want players to add/subtract numbers from their sheet, they can certainly do that. I'm not against doing that, at all. It'd be great if executed well. Personally, instead of changing the numbers on the character sheet I would probably start writing extensions to the sheet. Kind of like tagging on notes about what has happened to that character so far (in-story, not back story). Being able to keep tabs on what they've said/done makes it easier for the writer/s to be mindful about how they may react in the future. Making callbacks on stuff that had happened in the past becomes easier, too. If you want to take it that far.

Ignitedstar said:
I had been thinking about that... but never actually got to writing it down.
My take on it was that these kinds of character sheets were only to be used as a foundation for a character. After that, I suppose that would depend on you. If you want players to add/subtract numbers from their sheet, they can certainly do that. I'm not against doing that, at all. It'd be great if executed well. Personally, instead of changing the numbers on the character sheet I would probably start writing extensions to the sheet. Kind of like tagging on notes about what has happened to that character so far (in-story, not back story). Being able to keep tabs on what they've said/done makes it easier for the writer/s to be mindful about how they may react in the future. Making callbacks on stuff that had happened in the past becomes easier, too. If you want to take it that far.
That seems like a perfectly natural and enjoyable thing to do, in a play by post.

I need help and suggestions on my Space Stories sheet especially skill suggestions. You can find the existing sheet here.

Medelsvensson said:
I need help and suggestions on my Space Stories sheet especially skill suggestions. You can find the existing sheet here.
That's weird. Clicking on that link brings me back to the front page of the site. Is there some kind of permissions involved?

That link is from 2012 - it's likely too old and directs to a non-existent part of the site, so instead it redirects to the index.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back