TV & Film Character Dynamics You Love

Daisie

Strangely regular (better than the usual bizarre!)
Roleplay Type(s)
This doesn't even necessarily have to be in TV, it can be in virtually any media. You ever get it where two or more characters get along in a way that's absolutely fabulous and is just about the most entertaining thing to watch? Same. I'd love to hear about them. From soldier brothers to wayward sisters, from cutthroat enemies to blossoming relationships, I want it all.

What's your favourite?

I love it when two people act like complete assholes to each other, but are actually great friends and will come through in amazing ways when it's most needed.

Oooooooh! This is a great question and I love it so much!

So, I always have had a soft spot in my heart for platonic relationships because I feel those don't get enough love. Particularly, I tend to love some found family. I love it when people become brothers or sisters through some intense event and it sticks through thick and thin (probably why I loved Guardians of the Galaxy so much) and to me it is just so sweet.

My second favorite dynamic is respectful enemies. They are enemies who actually find pleasure in fighting one another and even if their end goal is to win, they would be sad to lose such a wonderful foe. And sometimes they even end saving each other's lives because they feel so connected.

Third favorite has to the soft and fun character with the stoic/asshole (think Jaskier and Geralt from Netflix's The Witcher) I absolutely love dynamics like that and seeing them play off one another.

I have many more but I decided to condense it lol

Ok, so my favorite of course has to be the classic romantic couple that comes together, initially being too shy to tell each other their feelings, but work together to face different types of situations. They eventually do become a romantic couple, but they still work together to overcome obstacles, defending each other.

Another of my favorites is older brother & younger brother dynamic. I love when there's a character who acts as that protective older brother, and is willing to go through all kind of trouble in order to protect their younger brother. There's just something I love so much about that kind of dynamic of the older brother who is there when it counts, and does his best to help his younger brother.

Then there's respectful enemies. They are rivals, they fight each other, but in the end of the day, they respect each other as rivals, and when the villain comes in, they can put aside their differences, and work together forming the most powerful team ever.

Also there's the classic rivalry of the main character and the villain. Whether it's a confident and witty hero who drives the villain crazy, or a more serious and down to earth hero who is the one who keeps the villain in line, I just love how the interactions between the main hero and the main villain develop as a series goes on. I specially love when they play it more humorously, to the point where the two act like their battles are something they do everyday and even talk like pals during their fights.

Another one I love is those times when a villanous character gets redeemed thanks to the hero character. Maybe the villain character had a rough past, and the hero shows them the true meaning of friendship or something like that, and the villain seems so surprised that the hero is willing to help them out despite how much the villain has made their life miserable. Having a villain being redeemed this way, I just love it. The redeemed villain eventually becomes an ally to the hero, and you can get some pretty interesting interactions from this.

One of my favorites is the villainous team-up. Basically if the main character has two or more villains that want him dead, then the villains will decide to team up to defeat the hero. Their interactions can be gold, specially when the villains have mutually exclusive goals, or simply get on each other's nerves, so while they are working together to defeat a common enemy, they really struggle getting along with each other. Bonus points when this weakness in their alliance is what the hero uses to finally defeat them.

Ooh I have so many!

Two absolutely immoral, manipulative and powerful characters who could easily destroy each other (and half the world as a collateral damage) but instead they love and respect each other, going out of their way to show how deeply they submit to each other without debasing themselves. Kinda like... cold war dynamic, but with mutual love and respect instead of fear and hate. I don't know how else to explain this dynamic, but I've roleplayed it with a friend some years ago and honestly it was the best (as well as hardest) dynamic I've ever written.

Two grumpy, hurt loners naturally gravitating towards each other. Neither of them wants to admit their feelings, so they just quietly protect and care for each other without making a huge fuss out of it, sit in comfortable silence, and pine for each other.

On a similar note, a grumpy loner meets a social butterfly who annoys them to no end, gets under their skin, and forces them out of their comfort zone. Fights and drama ensues, but at least the social butterfly makes them feel something so the grumpy loner starts protecting them... while also grumbling about how fucking annoying they are. Prime example of the 'opposites attract' trope, which works with both romantic and platonic feelings.

Two snarky dumbasses who are so alike they despise each other, but they also make a great team together. They cannot be in the same room without getting into argument in 0.3 seconds, but damn do they get shit done when they try to one up each other.

Literally any character dynamic where one is stoic while the other is chaotic.

And so much more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back