Character discussion [Chrysanthemum Petals in Rain]

NoisyCricket

Elder Member
We'll start discussing character concepts here.

I'll go first:

My first character is probably going to be a Mirumoto, seeking enlightenment, but refuses to use his swords on lesser opponents, so he'll be focused on unarmed or using his bo staff/walking stick. I have a bit more to him, but I'll start revealing that in fictions and play.

Other than that, I have some vague plans for a Kitsuki, a Togashi, and a Bayushi.

I have no clue, other then I'm planning something bushi esh just so I can gm sessions without you losing much unique functionality.

I'm thinking about playing a courtier. Right now I'm debating between a Yoritomo courtier and an Asako librarian. I've got tentative character sheets made up for each, and I like them both, so I may just play them both at some point.

I'm trying to decide between Seppun Gaurdsman, Daidoji Yojimbo, or Yoritomo Bushi. Kinda leaning more toward the yojimbo right now. I like Katie's idea of writing up character sheets, so i might do that to help me decide :)

I am really up in the air between Duellist and Support shuggie.

If anyone has a strong opinion on either, I'd like to hear it.

No one else seems to have mentioned playing a shuggie yet. We should probably have at least one in the group.

I'm considering playing a monk. What that monk will be (tattooed man, henshin, pure monk) largely depends on any bonuses CP we get at character creation. The only driving reason I want to play a monk is to use the Kiho "Steal the Air Dragon"

"While this Kiho is active, so long as you do not speak, carry no weapon, and make no threatening moves, other intelligent beings simply do not notice you."

I can imagine a whole slew of amusing things to do with that.

kmmarsh said:
No one else seems to have mentioned playing a shuggie yet. We should probably have at least one in the group.
I have two concerns about making a shuggie.

1) I am going to be doing some of the GM'ing, which would then leave the group without a shuggie again for 1/3 of mods.

2) A support shuggie, especially the way I'm looking at building, will make a courtier obsolete, and I'd rather not do so if someone is actually intending to try to play a courtier. My current build is rolling something along the lines of 10k4+3 for Etiquette and Courter from his self-buffs before any advantages, emphasis, or mastery abilities. Throw in masteries, emphasis and ads, and it's something along the lines of 10k5+16. Not incredible, but it can give any standard courtier a run for their money.

I could roll up a version of my water shuggie since I really haven't gotten to play him much.

*edit with the same caveat as ben, when I'm gm'ing you have no water shuggie edit*

Granted, if I GM, then you'll have two shuggies...I personally am fine with not having a shuggie sometimes, as long as the GM realizes that and runs accordingly (i.e. shugenja allies or just making the session able to be run without one).

Is a concept that I have interest in, but I haven't finished reading through things yet.. nor have I actually decided if I'll be able to make the schedule work (but I am thinking that I should try to because this game looks fun). >.<

Character draft, depends on the results of house rules and if I decide to look at the new kiho in books other than Core.

Fuji

Monk of the Order of Seven Thunders

Student of the Four Temples

Rings:

Earth 2

Water 3

Fire 3

Air 3

Void 3

Skills:

Courtier 1

Etiqutte 1

Lore: The Thunders 1

Medicine 1

Meditation 2

Theology (Shintao) 4

Craft: Cooking 1

Athletics 2

Defense 3

Jiujutsu 4

Advantages:

Daredevil

Magic Resistance III

Disadvantages:

Compulsion (4): Get High†

Technique:

Roll and keep 1 extra die on all rolls that involve a high skill.

Kiho:

Steal the Air Dragon (Air 5)

Way of the Willow (Air 3)

Breaking Blow (Fire 4)

One with All (Void 4)

Speak to the Soul (Water 4)

† Compulsion: Get High - This compulsion is entirely literal. When confronted with a tall structure or landmark, Fuji would be tempted to get to the top of it.

kmmarsh said:
I'm thinking about playing a courtier. Right now I'm debating between a Yoritomo courtier and an Asako librarian. I've got tentative character sheets made up for each, and I like them both, so I may just play them both at some point.
I'm interested currently in making a seppun, if that influences you at all :)

Dudes, I come to be thine token noob face thing!

Or something like that... as expressed somewhere previously I'm interested in playing a caster sort of thing. The morning (afternoon) time slot looks good to me, if we go to the afternoon (evening) time slot I'll probably have to duck out as I tend to be busy doing stuff during that time.

rcuhljr said:
kmmarsh said:
I'm interested currently in making a seppun, if that influences you at all :)
Alternatively if you wanted to go more of an investigative seppun magistrate, I could stay away from that roll a bit more.

kmmarsh said:
Pretty sure I'm going Yoritomo courtier at this point.
I'm just going to quickly re-iterate that I think this is a somewhat ill-advised idea. If you're going to choose a courtier, I don't think Yoritomo is your best bet.

Edit: Should probably say why.

The class revolves around the deceit (intimidation) skill. This has three results

a) It means an honor loss pretty much every time you use your class features

b) It means that most NPC's are going to hate your guts, even if they're going to be afraid of you while they do so.

c) Intimidation is a violation of proper etiquette, and can lead to challenges by anyone who can reasonably (or unreasonably, depending on the court) take offense.

Zoronos said:
kmmarsh said:
Pretty sure I'm going Yoritomo courtier at this point.
I'm just going to quickly re-iterate that I think this is a somewhat ill-advised idea. If you're going to choose a courtier, I don't think Yoritomo is your best bet.

Edit: Should probably say why.

The class revolves around the deceit (intimidation) skill. This has three results

a) It means an honor loss pretty much every time you use your class features

b) It means that most NPC's are going to hate your guts, even if they're going to be afraid of you while they do so.

c) Intimidation is a violation of proper etiquette, and can lead to challenges by anyone who can reasonably (or unreasonably, depending on the court) take offense.
a) They are immune to honor loss from that skill, explicitly.

b) Oh no, the Crane are going to be angry at the Mantis for being uncouth, whatever will they do...unfortunately, we all have someone who hates us, but yes, this can cause issues...

c) It depends on what exactly you say and do with it.

I think that a mix of b and c make the school a little more dangerous, but I don't see it as scarily so.

Since Leslie is going shuggie, I'm thinking of Kakita Bushi.

If someone has objections, let me know. I'll post a draft character shortly.

(Warning: He's a bit of a jerk.)

I've only found one dojo for Yoritomo courtier, the one on pg. 196 of Emerald Empire. I'm not terribly impressed with the benefit. Anyone know of any others?

Masters of Court web Supplement:

Dojo of the Final Coin [Dojo]

Located in Kyuden Kumiko, the Dojo of the Final Coin is brand new, and has so far seen only

two classes of samurai graduate from its ranks. Originally the dojo was intended to school those

students whose parents were stationed far from the rest of their Clan's holdings, but the ascension

of Yoritomo Utemaro as Imperial Treasurer has changed its importance significantly. Armed

with tax records dating back to the time of the first Hantei, the instructors have shifted the focus

of their teachings to a more economical mindset, ensuring that their students will never forget the

importance of koku within the Empire.

Schools: Yoritomo Courtier

Paths: Yoritomo Assessor

Benefit: You gain a +1k0 bonus on all Social Skill Rolls made against characters with

the Greedy, Spoiled, or Compulsion (any material goods) disadvantages.

Masters of War web Supplement:

Storm's Shelter Dojo

Schools: Moshi Bushi School, Tsuruchi Bounty Hunter School, Yoritomo Bushi School,

Yoritomo Courtier School, Yoritomo Shugenja School

Paths: Yoritomo Kobune Pilot, Yoritomo Marines Benefit: Students of Storm's Shelter Dojo may select any one School Skill. When

increasing the rank of this Skill, the cost is reduced by 1 point.

Masters of Magic:

Kyuden Kitsune, May have 1 additional emphasis of the Hunting skill, above what would be allowed based on their skillr ank.

Toshi no Inazuma, may purchase the Friend of the Elements (Water) and Blessings of the Elements (Water) Advantages for 1 point less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back