What's new

Character Creation Guide for Robotech: Broadsword

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
This is the method I used, complete with all of my little extras and twists. Enjoy and have fun!

1. Develop a character concept, a personality. Begin with things like alignment, race (human, Zentraedi, or both), ethnic background, age, gender, history, personal background, family, and the like. Get to know this character a little at a time. Let him or her grow on you. I have learned it is nice to make a character that has some trait that you admire or respect. Somehow it makes this process more fun. =)

1a. Answer this list of In-Character Quiz (answer from your character's perspective). From question 1, this will help flesh out the character a bit more. Enjoy! =)

In-Character Quiz

1. Describe your butt. (Small? Flat? Round and healthy? Be honest!)
2. List your close family with a heartfelt description of each.
3. Discuss your favorite mecha and why it is your favorite.
4. Discuss our least-favorite mecha along with your reasons.
5. Describe one of your favorite meals and why you like it.
6. What was the last song you really enjoyed?
7. If you could visit anywhere in Florida, where would it be?
8. If you could get a kiss from anyone, anywhere, who would it be?
9. If you could mind-control all of the Malcontents, what would you have them do?
10. Write down whatever is on your mind.

2. Select your Attributes from the following list:

Character base attribute selections
Things to know:
1. All I.Q., M.E., P.S., and P.E. scores were increased to a minimum of 12 to qualify for the O.C.C.s.
2. All P.P. scores with the exception of High Dexterity were increased until they provided a bonus (I rolled a d4 until the attribute went above 16). High P.P. will be necessary.
3. Each player may choose one of their eight scores to increase to 18. I like the idea of the player having the choice of a second attribute to further color and benefit their chosen character.

Brainy: I.Q. 21, M.E. 15, M.A. 14, P.S. 15, P.P. 17, P.E. 12, P.B. 13, Spd 15.
Strong-willed: I.Q. 12, M.E. 24, M.A. 13, P.S. 12, P.P. 19, P.E. 14, P.B. 15, Spd 14.
Charismatic: I.Q. 16, M.E. 14, M.A. 23, P.S. 12, P.P. 19, P.E. 13, P.B. 15, Spd 15.
Physically Strong: I.Q. 13, M.E. 14, M.A. 11, P.S. 24, P.P. 17, P.E. 17, P.B. 16, Spd 16.
High Dexterity: I.Q. 14, M.E. 15, M.A. 9, P.S. 12, P.P. 22, P.E. 12, P.B. 13, Spd 23.
Great Endurance: I.Q. 12, M.E. 18, M.A. 11, P.S. 14, P.P. 19, P.E. 24, P.B. 12, Spd 14.
Good Looking: I.Q. 12, M.E. 12, M.A. 17, P.S. 13, P.P. 17, P.E. 15, P.B. 23, Spd 11.
Quick-footed: I.Q. 12, M.E. 12, M.A. 11, P.S. 16, P.P. 19, P.E. 13, P.B. 11, Spd 29.

3. Roll percentile for your character's Special Aptitude (using percentile or d100).

Special Aptitude rolls! *reaches into dice bag number one*

All right. Here is how this works. Since we lack a dice roller, I will roll my own dice here and thereby confirm, validate, or just plain say "Yes, he or she actually did roll that for his character." But you get a hand in this too! You select what color dice I roll. You'll have to make two selections - a die for the tens place and a die for the ones place (unless you want me to roll my big blue d100). Here are your color selections.

1. Light blue with white numbers
2. Dark blue with white numbers
3. Blue with white tint and gold numbers
4. Red with white numbers
5. Lava red with brown numbers
6. Brown with white numbers (a relic from my very first die collection)
7. Black with white numbers (no, this is not the infamous "Black Die of Death." That's a d20 in my collection.)
8. Yellow with black numbers
9. Light orange with black numbers
and finally, 10. My big blue d100 with white numbers.

Please provide your selection using this example:
Tens dice (insert color here)
Ones dice (insert color here)
or just say "Big Blue" and I'll roll the d100.

NOTE: There is one selection among the Special Aptitudes that adds only to Horror Factor ("Fearless: 81%-90%). At this stage, I don't imagine we'll be using Horror Factor much (if at all), so if someone rolls that, instead of adding +1d4+2 to save vs. Horror Factor, I will instead add the result of that roll to the PC's Mental Endurance Attribute.

4. Select an O.C.C. (Occupational Character Class). Message me and we will discuss which walk of life you would like your character to walk. O.C.C.s already in the game include A.T.A.C. Hover Tank Pilot, Veritech (Valkyrie) Pilot, T.A.S.C. Veritech Pilot, and (Marine) Mechanized Infantry (which, in my game gets 2 "O.C.C. Related" skills at first level instead of zero, not counting step 5 below for a total of 4.).

4a. Keep in mind when selecting skills that, in my games, I provide all Mecha pilots the Navigation, Sensory Equipment, and Weapon Systems skills free of charge (if they are not already included in their O.C.C. package). Any Pilot Related percentage bonus from "Other O.C.C. skills" (if any) is added to these skills.

5. Add two extra "O.C.C. Related" skills to your character. Also, select your skills from any of the Skill Categories (adding O.C.C. Related percentage bonuses if you have any).

5a. If your character wants to go beyond Hand to Hand: Martial Arts, Commando, or Assassin, your character may select a Dedicated Martial Art at the cost of one or two "O.C.C. Related" or "Secondary" skills. See "Martial Arts - Allowed Systems" to see what is available.

6. Time for more dice rolls. Roll hit points, S.D.C., and any Attribute bonuses provided by your character's O.C.C., M.O.S., or skill selections. Note: Concerning hit points, I allow maximum hit points at 1st level (6 + P.E. Attribute). Also, roll results of one on the d6 may be rerolled (not just counted as two) for every level of experience the character attains after the 1st.

7. Add up all of your combat bonuses in and out of your character's mech(a). Some players also enjoy keeping a spoiler or two on future bonuses gained by experience (say from hand to hand skills and Mecha Elite Combat Training).

8. Equipment and money will be provided to the character. If you have any special requests, this is the time to make them. Special requests often include optional weapons or armor, nifty non-combat items, or unusual trinkets that somehow add to your character.

9. Post the character in the Character section. Use replies to that thread to decide future skill selections and Attribute gains. I will give your character a thorough check prior to play. I am looking for accuracy and completion.

10. Enjoy the process of bringing something very cool and longlasting to life. Also enjoy being around like-minded people who are just as thrilled to be involved in it as you! =)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)