• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic A Final Dawn

It was a chilly winter morning as a young woman made her way through the freshly fallen snow. Frost clung to her navy blue coat and thick, white scarf as she wrapped it more snugly around her neck and face. She could feel her fingers tingling from the icy air and drove both pale hands deep into her coat pockets. It was at times like these she wished she lived somewhere sunny and warm with blue waters, sandy beaches and endless rows of palm trees. She could almost imagine herself sprawled out on the sand, soaking up the intense rays of sunlight before heading into the water for a nice refreshing swim...

She was still caught up in her daydreaming when she reached a little two-story building nestled snugly between a used clothing store and a shady looking tattoo parlor. Reaching into her tote she pulled out a key and unlocked the door, stepping inside and out of the freeze. The door shut with a little jingle thanks to the bell mounted to it and the young woman hung up her coat, scarf, and tote on one of several nearby hooks.

Leaving her snow covered boots near the door, she slipped on a pair of indoor shoes and made her way through the building; which happened to be a book store and cafe. As the first one there, it was her duty to turn on lights, start up ovens, and overall just prep for their first customers of the day. Having worked there for quite some time, she was used to the process by now. It wasn't long before things were in order and she was sitting at the counter waiting for her boss to show up. In the meantime, she had her small sketchbook out and was doodling idly. Her hair, which was just about shoulder length and dyed a turquoise color, kept slipping into her face. Each time the strands got in her way, she would halfheartedly tuck them behind her ear. She was about half way through sketching a talking palm tree when the bell jingled, causing her to immediately close her book and stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Octavian~

Octavian pushed open the door of the cafe, entering and stomping his boots on the welcome mat to dislodge some of the built-up snow. The cold weather was screwing with his surveillance equipment and he wanted to get indoors and warm up so he could perform some tests. Octavian had passed by this particular location a number of times when returning from his missions, and judged it pretty appealing as far as the local attractions where concerned. He was dressed in a cold-weather parka and boots, all acquired from the local area before hand, and had on a pair of sunglasses to shield his sensitive eyes from the bright morning sun reflecting off the snow. 

He sat down at one of the unoccupied tables closer to the back of the building  pulling off his thin gloves and removing his sunglasses. Cracking his knuckles absently as he looked around at the empty cafe, Octavian noted that he was the only person in the establishment, apart from the bright-haired female near the serving counter, which was reasonable given the early hour. He nodded and gave her a friendly smile, the feel of his false teeth still a bit disconcerting. How did these people eat anything with such dull things?  

The young woman, Nike, watched the man make his way to one of the tables before putting her pencil and sketchbook behind the counter. Tying a black apron around her waist she approached, returning the smile. Her boss wasn't in yet, but she was familiar enough with everything that she wasn't concerned.

“Good morning.” She greeted pleasantly. She hadn't seen this man before, so she had to be extra cheerful.

“Would you like anything?” She asked, motioning to the short list of coffees, teas, and baked goods lying on the table. No, it wasn't Starbucks, but they had a decent list of fresh coffees and their baked goods were made in house. Personally though, she preferred a good book to a good coffee any day.

Octavian~

Octavian pulled out a small notepad and pen from an inner coat pocket and set them down on the table, looking up as the, ah, waitress, approached him. She spoke in the native tongue of this nation, asking him what he would like to eat or drink. 

Although having been on this planet for just under a week, Octavian had been pretty diligent with learning the local language, and considered himself pretty fluent in it with only a bit of an accent. "Ah, yes," he glanced at the waiting menu. "Some coffee would be advisable, as well as some of the, uh, pie." 

When she left, he pulled out a pair of the in-ear listening devices, earphones they called them, he had acquired, and stuck them in his ear. The earphones and sketchpad were both a cover for his real work. They served as an excuse to both be seen as busy, as well as cover for being distracted. What he was really doing was scanning the holographic HUD that was projected in front of his eyes by his implanted computer. The HUD was only in the ultraviolet spectrum of light, which the local species were not able to see with the naked eye, while Octavian's eyes could. During all this however, Octavian amused himself with drawing in his sketchpad, being able to split his attention among multiple sources, an ability that was essential in his line of work. 

In fact, today was the day when he went over all the accumulated data gathered over the days, categorized them, highlighted the most relevant info and fed it into his computer. He would have been lying if he had not become more than a little disconcerted with some of the more unusual pieces of information he had discovered. The least of which was some of the bizarre similarities of this language, 'English,' and his own native tongue.   

Nike stood and waited diligently for the customer to place his order, scribbling down what he'd asked for before giving another friendly smile.

“I'll have that right out for you.” She promised before leaving him to his work. The man hadn't specified how he wanted his coffee, but she assumed that a black roast would do fine. She ground up the beans and prepared the first pot of the day, taking in the strong scent of the coffee as it brewed. If there was one thing that warmed her up in the dead of winter, it was coffee. She enjoyed tea and hot cocoa, but nothing beat the taste of a fresh cup of good coffee.

The pie, thankfully, had been prepared ahead of time, so all she had to do was warm it in the oven. Once it was hot and crispy, she took it out, sliced it, and put a generous slice onto a single-serving plate. Putting the coffee, slice of pie, some sugar and cream onto a tray she delivered it to her customer, who seemed preoccupied with drawing. She couldn't help her own curiosity, and peeked over his shoulder for a moment to see what he was sketching.

“Ah.....here's your coffee and pie.” She said, finally making herself known as she placed the items carefully on the table.

“Is there anything else you need? Please feel free to look around and pick one of the books to read.” She offered.

Octavian~

Octavian absently started drawing on his sketchpad as the women left to fill his order, one eye concentrated on scanning the vast amounts of data being projected onto his HUD as he did so. Drawing was therapeutic for Octavian, it helped him to cope with the things he had seen and done. By putting them on paper, he was able to rationalize and accept, as if everything was just a drawing on his sketchpad, a product of a vivid imagination. He was currently in the process of re-creating that final scene in the Gasper broodship with the enemy Queen. He quickly sketched the outline of the main throne room, debris and the scars of battle marring almost every surface. He almost lost concentration as he remembered the feel of that moment, the incessant pounding of the great guns of the Imperial fleet, knowing that he had to succeed or die.....

He shook his head and went back to drawing. He was almost done sketching from memory the giant Brood Queen, a most hideous creature, surrounded by a swarm of Gasper drones, when the waitress arrived with his food. 

"Thank you," he replied as she set the coffee and pie in front of him. "Not in this moment no." Octavian glanced at the bookshelves lining one wall of the cafe, all full of various books as she made her suggestion. He silently cursed himself as he remembered he had not yet met his quota of book reading for the day. Normally, Octavian had the requirement to read at least three books every day for research purposes, a task that he sometimes found quite enjoyable. He shuddered at remembering that awful book with the sparkly vampires. All books were not created equally it seemed.  Still, he was able to read at an increased rate thanks to his trained mind and implanted computer, so it would not take much time at all to meet his quota.   

“So........you like sci-fi, huh?” She said, motioning to his sketches. She couldn't help but get a little closer; she really enjoyed looking at other artists' works.

“You're really talented.” She praised. She had no idea what the creatures were that he was drawing, but they looked alien.

“I'm more into superhumans and fantasy settings myself, but I can't help but appreciate a good monster or two.”

Since no one else was there at the moment, and her boss had yet to show himself, she decided to get out her own sketchbook. She walked over and grabbed it, along with her pencil, before returning.

“Would it be alright with you if I sketched here too? This place can get pretty boring when it's dead.”

She hoped she wasn't annoying him, but it wasn't often she got the chance to sketch with other artists.

Octavian~

Octavian smiled as he recalled what the word 'sci-fi' meant, and the vast understatement it was. "I suppose you could say that," he replied. Although he was slightly put off balance by her presence, Octavian thought that it was a good a time as any to get in some species specific research. He thanked her and motioned for her to sit. "Sure, sure, be my guest." At the same time, he started a couple of quick scans with a few eye movements on the HUD and a some thoughts.

"You mentioned, ah, superhuman. This is when an individual possesses great powers that the rest of their kind do not, correct?" He kept an eye on his HUD, checking the scans as he talked to her. Heart rate, skin temperature, pupil dilation and a few others where all being observed and everything was going well so far. He mentally kicked himself for not running this procedure more often, blaming his reluctance to talk to people as the main problem.

It's not that he didn't like people, even the species on this planet were vary amiable and not at all hard to get along with. He just felt, well, a disconnect with most people. Granted, the vast majority of intelligent beings had not gone through what he had, but it was more than just a lack of common ground. In his inner self Octavian knew he had done some unforgivable things, and the thought of someone finding that out and reacting accordingly, well, it didn't sit well with him. Which was one of the reasons he went on so many operations and mainly stayed at the Imperial Palace, a place where he could hide behind the mask of a war hero. 

Nike happily sat down and opened her sketchbook to the first blank page. She started sketching some random characters that popped into her head; some of them elves or wizards, and some of them superheros of some kind. She wasn't as skilled as her customer was, but it was a stress reliever for her and it made her happy.

When the man asked her about the definition of superhuman, she stopped and looked at him.

“Heh....yeah.” She said, unable to help but smile.

“Do you not know about Marvel? DC? I mean.......there are tons of comics, not to mention movies, out there filled to the brim with superhumans. I myself prefer Japanese characters, but I love Spider Man, Batman...have you really not seen or read any superhero stories?”

She couldn't help but be surprised; even people who hated superheros or comic books knew about characters like Superman or Batman.

The girl had no idea she was currently being examined; it wasn't like she could feel any of it. The scan seemed clear....but there was something a bit strange about her brain. The way it lit up and the pattern it used wasn't normal...

Ding, ding!

The bell on the door chimed and Nike looked over to see her boss, Richard. She stood right up, quickly taking her things and putting them away again. Richard wasn't a tough boss, but she knew better than to let him see her sitting around on the job. She looked over at her customer, giving an apologetic smile for rushing off suddenly, before approaching her boss.

“Morning Rich. I have all the ovens started and food prepped.” She said.

“Morning, and good to hear.” Richard replied. He was an older man with round glasses and a slightly less chiseled physique.

“I'll be back to check over everything in a moment. Could you get me some coffee?” He asked a bit more discreetly. It wasn't like it was appropriate for customers to see them eating and drinking. Nike nodded and went off to get him a cup. Meanwhile, he walked over to check on their lonely customer.

“Good morning there. Is everything to your liking?” He asked. It was his job to make sure every customer left happily, after all.

Octavian~

Octavian shrugged as she pointed out the gaps in his knowledge, making a mental note to get some background information before bringing up the topic further. "I've been traveling for awhile." He hoped the excuse would suffice, but was then rescued from the awkward situations with what appeared to be the arrival of the woman's superior. She exchanged a few quick words with the man, and then went back into the kitchen, presumably to fetch something. 

"Centurion Octavian." A voice buzzed in Octavian's mind.

"Yes, what is it Cog," Octavian replied back, well, 'thought' anyway.

"That female, she had a period of the most unusual brain activity I've every seen in a member of her species. I'd like to run some more scans if possible." Octavian mentally rolled his eyes but thought back an affirmative.  

Cog, or Cognitus, his full title, was the AI assigned to Octavian for this mission and residing in part on the small computer implant that Octavian possessed. They had been partners on a few other missions before this, so Octavian was more than familiar with the old AI's habits. And that was exactly what he was, old. He couldn't recall the exact details, but Octavian knew that Cog was one of the first AI's used by the Imperium, at least on of the first truly sentient AI's anyway. That put his age at roughly a few thousand years or more. All that time had made Cog, well, a bit eccentric you could say. Octavian quite liked the old AI really, and he had been invaluable on more than one occasion.   

Octavian nodded at the man as he approached. "Yes, most definitely." He gestured around at the interior of the cafe. "Quite an accommodating setup you have here, I'm impressed."  

Richard smiled at the man's answer.
“I'm glad to hear that. If there is anything I or my staff can do for you, please let us know.” He replied before walking back towards the kitchen where Nike, and his coffee, were waiting.

“Coffee's in the back.” She said, motioning to a cup sitting in the kitchen.

“Thanks. Could you make sure the shelves are organized before things pick up?” Richard asked, to which Nike responded with a nod. She went about the place organizing and cleaning up the bookshelves and doing any last-minute cleaning and checking before things got crazy. They weren't usually too busy early in the morning, but within an hour or two she knew they'd be close to packed. Their establishment wasn't too far from the university, so a lot of students ended up spending their free time here studying or relaxing.

Sure enough, within an hour or so more and more people began showing up, until the place was practically buzzing. Some customers just looked through books, while others grabbed a coffee and left, and still more stayed to sit and chat or read while enjoying a coffee, tea, or baked good....sometimes all three at once. Needless to say it could get overwhelming quite fast; especially since the place was currently understaffed. Even so, Richard and Nike worked well together. Richard mostly stayed in the back to prepare orders, while Nike darted about taking orders, ringing up books, and delivering food and drink to customers.

The hours all seemed to blur together in the slightly-controlled chaos, until it was the end of her shift. By now it was almost three in the afternoon and her replacement, Mathew, had just shown up to take her place.

“Hey, how was morning rush?” He asked, already knowing what she'd say. He'd worked morning shift enough to know how it was.

“Whew......not any crazier than usual. Thankfully no one threw muffins at me today.” She chuckled, obviously referring to a previous incident.

“Well, better get out of here before Richard ask you to work overtime.” Her workmate said, prodding her towards the door.

“Heh, I know, right?” She answered, handing him her apron before grabbing up her things from the counter, putting them in her tote, and then dressing up for the cold and heading out with a wave. As she marched through the cold she started pondering what she wanted to eat for dinner. She'd have to stop by the grocery on her way home to pick up some things.

Octavian~

A few minutes after the women left, Octavian closed the small sketchbook with a small flip, stuffing it into an inside coat pocket along with his pen. He stretched his arms and looked around, yawning. Wow, it was already late afternoon, where had the time gone? He looked down at the table in front of him and gave a shake of his head. The surface was strewn with at least a dozen books, some sketch paper and the leftovers of his lunch. He put the books back from where he found them and left a tip on the table, as seemed to be the custom here. 

He stepped out into the chill winter air and adjusted his sunglasses. The bright sun mixed with the plentiful snow did not help matters with his eyesight. Honestly, how people lived with a class M star. He shook his head and started walking down the street. He checked his HUD, which was now being projected onto the inside of his sunglasses, and made sure that all his equipment was safely secured under his clothes. "Alright Cog, what do you have for me." He mentally contacted the old AI as he continued to move down the snow-covered street. The weather made vehicle traffic less than advisable, that, along with most everyone in Seattle going about their business on foot, made the streets pretty deserted. 

"Well, what do you want first, the combined data report from the past week, or the results of those scans we did of that female." 

Octavian chewed his lip thinking, "Give me the scan results, we can go over the report when we get back to base."

"Very well sir, give me a moment to organize them for you." A few seconds later and Octavian's HUD was flooded with an avalanche of data. He quickly scanned it with a trained eye, picking up the most notable sections and cross-referencing them with previous scans. His brow furrowed as he concentrated on making sense of the results. "Cog, why is she different?" As he walked he kept comparing the sets of data, becoming more and more confused, his inner voice becoming tinged with incredulity. 

"I have absolutely no idea Centurion Octavian, isn't it wonderful!" The AI's voice took on a tinge of gleeful madness as he replied to Octavian's inquiry. "I do however have a multitude of ideas for further tests and experiments, many of which will require only the minimal amount of interference." His tone grew slightly ominous as he continued. "We could even do a full dissection..........with your permission of course." 

"No," Octavian's voice was clipped as he responded. "I'm not set up for a full dissection, not to mention the effort it would take to drug, kidnap and dispose of her once we're done. All for information that may or may not be useful."  

The AI mentally sighed. "Very well sir, shall I activate the tracking nanites I placed on her during the scans?"

"Yes, I'll need to find out where she resides in order to set up more in-depth behavioral studies, as well as to determine if there is an outside influence to blame for her uniqueness."

"Very well, activating now."

Octavian's HUD beeped as a new tracker came online and positioned itself on the overlay map of the area. It seemed that the female was currently in a commerce district not far away. Octavian hurried his pace and took a right turn down a side street toward the target.   

A few minutes of jogging later and Octavian arrived at a local supermarket. it was a brick affair, with a rustic sign hanging over the doorway. Tables and crates at the front of the establishment, that would normally hold fresh produce in the spring and summer months, lay empty and covered with tarps to protect from the elements. "Cog, how are our supplies, anything running low?" 

"We are at 20% storage of all protein-based consumables, as well as being out of hydrochloric acid."     

Octavian smiled to himself as he pushed open the doors of the store. "Well, we can take care of one of those items." 

He made his way to the section of the store were they stored all their protein, keeping an eye on the tracking signal on his HUD.

Nike made her way through the store isles, oblivious to the trackers that had been placed on her. It wasn't like she'd be able to see or feel them anyway.

Hmm...what to buy?” She mumbled to herself, tapping her bottom lip in thought. She really wasn't very good at coming up with meal ideas on the fly. Perhaps something easy? Maybe a stir fry of some kind?

“I guess that'll work.” She nodded, heading for the vegetable isle. There she grabbed some carrots, mushrooms, snow peas, bean sprouts, Chinese cabbage, and some firm tofu. Heading into another isle, she grabbed some spices and sauce and, finally, some noodles.

“I think that'll do it.” She said to herself, mentally checking over everything before heading to the check out counter.

Upon paying and putting her items into a reusable shopping bag, she set off for her apartment. Thankfully it wasn't too far of a walk from her workplace. It only took about ten minutes for her to reach her building, which was three stories tall and made of a rust-red brick. Heading inside and up to the top floor she came to her room, number 303. Opening the door, she took off her wet boots and placed them near the entryway before removing her tote and winter wear. She had just locked her door when a strange sensation began to come over her. Her head began to throb with enough pain to make her vision warp.

U-Ugh....not again...” She groaned, trying to keep herself upright. She slid down with her back against the door, holding her head in pain. It had been a while since she'd had such a strong episode. She knew she needed to get to her medicine, but with this much pain it was hard to concentrate.

Focus.......focus........” She told herself, leaving her bag of groceries on the floor and crawling towards her small bathroom. If she could make it there before she blacked out, maybe it would be alright. Unfortunately for her, she only made it half way down the hall before her vision faded and she lost consciousness.

Almost immediately after she'd collapsed, her eyes opened again and she stood up as if nothing had happened. Her expression was different; more serious than before. Her brown eyes even seemed darker than before; more glazed.

“Hmn...idiot.” She muttered, her tone different. It was darker somehow and less kind. It was the sort of voice that would make you think twice before pissing its owner off.

She walked over to her bedroom and looked at herself in her full length mirror.

“You got yourself bugged.....what to do about that?” She asked thoughtfully. This Nike was obviously aware she was being tracked. As much as she wanted to destroy the little pests that had attached themselves to her, she knew it would draw more unwanted attention. She'd obviously slipped up somehow and gotten noticed. The question was: by who? Depending on the answer she could be in very real danger.

“Looks like I'll have to pay more attention now...great.” She sighed. Without another word she headed back into the hall and picked up the discarded bag of groceries, making a face at the contents.

“What are you going to put into me now? Blech....tofu?” She groaned. Carrying the bag into the kitchen, she took the pack of tofu and tossed it into the trash.

“Have fun fishing that out of the garbage.” She chuckled. Leaving the rest of the groceries sitting on the kitchen table, she went into the small living space and lay down on the sofa. It was better to let her wake up somewhere new; or rather it was more fun to watch her panic. Closing her eyes, she relaxed until she seemed to fall asleep.

Moments later her eyes were open again, blinking rapidly in confusion.

“H-Huh?” She hummed, staring up at the ceiling. It wasn't until she turned her head that she realized she was somewhere other than the hallway.

“Oh shit! Shit!” She cried, sitting up and looking around herself frantically. Everything looked alright in the living room, but she had no idea how many minutes had passed or what she'd done in the meantime. Jumping up, she scurried about her apartment trying to remember how she'd left things and what she might have done while blacked out. The only thing she noticed was that her groceries had been moved. When she looked through the bag and noticed her tofu missing, she sighed.

“Let me guess...” She muttered, trudging to the trash can and opening it to see her pack of tofu surrounded by old leftovers she'd had to throw out the day before. She felt like she wanted to tear up, but there wasn't any point in getting upset about it. At least she hadn't hurt herself or anyone else...or started a fire in her bathtub again.

Reaching into the trash, she dug out the tofu and took it to the sink to rinse it off. At least she hadn't opened it...which made her think she'd done it to spite herself. Once it was clean she sat down at the kitchen table and sighed. Was she going to have to go back to the doctor and get stronger meds? She hadn't had such a violent reaction in almost two years....she couldn't help but feel nervous.

“Why now...? Everything was fine, and now all the sudden...” She trailed off, slumping in her chair until her forehead was resting on the table. What was she going to do? She couldn't risk having another dangerous episode, but how much stronger could her medicine get without completely crippling her?

Octavian~

Octavian payed for his items and stuffed them into his rucksack, heading out a little while after the target. He followed at a safe distance, out of sight but close enough so as to not make the nanites use too much energy transmitting their location.

He eventually reached a brick-faced apartment building not far from the cafe. Sensors indicated that it was the residence of the female, and Octavian made a quick circuit of the building before stopping underneath where the target was. 

He looked around to make sure no one was around and then stripped off his coat, shirt and pants, stuffing them into his rucksack. He was left wearing only his close-fitting lightly armored jumpsuit and military-issue caligae. He brought out a piece of dark metal and pressed a button on the front, activating the device, resulting in it quickly expanding into a lightweight full-face helmet. He slid it over his head, tugging on a matching set of gloves and held up one wrist, typing in a short command on the embedded touchscreen. It ran in the ultraviolet spectrum, so to anyone else it would appear as a dull piece of glass. A few moments later and his outline shimmered, slowly blending into the background and becoming more or less invisible to the naked eye.  

He hid the rucksack under a few trash bags and lept up onto the side of the building, the traction-enhancing soles of his boots and the fingers of his gloves giving him an abnormaly strong grip, allowing him to scale the bare brick wall like a lizard.

Octavian eventually reached the top floor, the nanites indicating that the target was currently on this floor, most likely her place of residence. Cog was quietly humming to himself as they got closer to the target, a habit he had when they were doing anything secretive. Octavian rolled his eyes as he placed a small communication relay under a section of the gutters, making sure to make as little noise as possible. It would act as a focal point for all incoming and outgoing signals from the apartment, allowing Octavian to tap into all wireless traffic, as well as communicating with any other pieces of surveillance equipment he might install. This was not the most enjoyable part of his job, as Octavian preferred the straight-forward approach, get in, grab the target, get out. Simple. 

Still, there was something to be said for covert methods. Octavian activated the relay and jumped over to the nearby windowsill, he quickly peered into the apartment through the window, noting that this was the correct one. It seemed that this window led into the bedroom, with another not far away supposedly opening into the living space. He shook his head. Really, who would want to have windows on the outside of a residence, and not opening onto the inner courtyard. Not that any residential buildings he had seen had even possessed an inner courtyard. Barbarians. Architecture aside, Octavian detached a small device from his belt, holding it a few inches from the surface of the single glass pane. It hummed for a few moments, the side facing the glass glowing a dull orange. Once it stopped, Octavian clipped it back onto his belt, and stuck his hand through the glass.

The glass acted as a vicious fluid, holding its shape unless put under pressure, and even then returning to its original position once the outside influence was gone. The rest of Octavian's body soon followed, passing through the somewhat hot substance and dropping to the floor of the apartment. The glass would remain in its transitive state for a few hours, unless brought under the influence of the device, which would turn it back into regular glass in only a few moments. 

Octavian looked around at the room he was in. It was indeed a bedroom, with a door leading out into a small hallway. He slowly crept out and un-holstered his handgun, loading a fresh magazine of non-lethal ammo. As he reached the kitchen, he slowly peered out from the corner of the hallway and froze. The female was sitting at the kitchen table, head resting on the table. Asleep? No, scans showed a heart rate too high for that. He took a few seconds to pick the best course of action, deciding that it would be best to sedate her now, and brought up his handgun in preparation to fire.       

Nike sighed, her head still pressed against the table. She'd have to call her doctor tomorrow and ask to schedule an appointment. Hopefully he could give her good news about the sudden and violent re-occurrence...though at this point she was doubtful he would. She was about to stand up and start cooking when she felt her gut tighten instinctively. She could feel her skin crawling and the small hairs on her neck and arms standing up, but why? She had a sudden nervous feeling; even her heart had started beating abnormally. She lifted her head and began to glance around her when she heard a small tap and suddenly felt a pinch in her neck. She didn't realize it was a sedative, but the sensation of danger and shock caused something inside of her to break free. Not even a nanosecond after being shot, the room began to shake and objects began to lift off the ground. The object in her neck flew out and into the wall as the things around her went flying in a chaotic, panicked whirlwind before suddenly falling to the ground. She panted, her eyes wide. She was still herself, but obviously quite shaken.

“S-Shit...” She stuttered, feeling frozen. The sedative hadn't been in her neck more than a split second, but it was still long enough to have some effect. She felt her head spin and stumbled back, putting a shaky hand over where she'd been shot. She couldn't see anyone; where had it come from? What was going on???

Panicking, she darted into the living room and ducked behind the sofa, shaking. Who was after her? She had no idea what she was up against, but the prospect of being locked up somewhere and picked apart had her in terror. She'd worked hard to keep her abilities a secret. How had anyone even found out about them? She could feel another headache coming on and curled up tightly.

No......no, no, no....” She whimpered, holding her head tightly. No matter how scared she was, she couldn't black out. If she did, she'd wake up with another dead body.

She could feel her body becoming more lethargic from the drugs. She didn't have a lot of time. If she didn't find some way to escape, she'd end up caught or worse. She'd always imagined what she'd do in this kind of situation, but she'd never actually thought she'd have to go through it. Peeking from her hiding place, she couldn't see anyone. Her senses were telling her she wasn't alone, but her vision said everything was clear. She knew she couldn't stay in one spot for long, but how was she going to get out of her apartment; especially now that she was feeling drowsy? She didn't even know who had attacked her! Could she really run from an enemy she didn't even know?

Octavian~

A book and a set of plates flew just inches from Octavian's head.

He ducked back into the hallway, cursing under his breath. "What in Hades just happened Cog," he demanded of the AI as he checked to see if his camo was still active, had she seen him? "Sensors show a massive energy spike right before the event, and get this, it originated from the female." Cog's voice was a mixture of incredulous glee and wariness. "Just what I fucking needed." Octavian spoke out loud this time as he lept into the next room, landing on one wall, sticking there like a spider with one hand, gun at the ready.

The female had stumbled into the next room and seemed to be trying to hide behind a piece of furniture. She exhibited all the signs of a cornered animal, how she had known he was there was irrelevant at this point, it was damage control time. 

He detached himself from the wall and made his way silently across the floor, moving around to get behind the piece of furniture where she was hiding. He stopped when he was directly in front of her, his curiosity piqued. He crouched down on his heels and studied the female. She was obviously under the influence of the sedative, but were any normal being would have been unconscious at this point, she was just moaning and looked drowsy. "Centurion Octavian..... I don't think this is the wisest course of action, an event like before could be repeated." 

"Quite Cog."

Not really knowing why, Octavian deactivated his camo with a flick of his wrist, shimmering into full view, and continued studying the female, seeing if he would get a reaction from it. His gun was still trained on her however, and he was at least two arm lengths away.  

The young woman was just preparing herself to try and make a run for her door when suddenly a man in full armor appeared in front of her, pointing a gun at her. Her eyes went wide and she stared in shock, feeling herself quiver. It was frightening enough having someone appear out of thin air without the added gun to make things even worse. She didn't know who was behind that helmet, but at the moment it didn't really matter. She could feel her heart drumming rapidly in her chest, and she was so scared she could barely breathe. Was she going to die?

She tried to open her mouth to speak, but her lips were trembling so much she doubted she could make any sense even if she could push out the sounds. Even so, she had to try before this person either killed her or drugged her and hauled her off to who knows where.

P-Plea-se....d-don't h-h-hurt m-me....” She managed to say. The pressure in her skull was building, and the drugs weren't helping her hold back the darkness creeping into the corners of her vision. She knew that soon she'd lose herself to the blackness again. She didn't want to end up covered in blood again. She didn't want to lose herself.

P-P-Please l-leave....I.....I d-don't want t-to....h-hurt you....” She said shakily, feeling her eyes beginning to sting. Why was she like this? She wasn't a bad person....she didn't want to kill anyone else. She didn't want to become that other thing, even if it meant she wouldn't be harmed by......whoever this person was. She just wanted to live a simple, boring life like everyone else; was that too much to ask?

Octavian~

"It's OK, I won't hurt you." Octavian's voice was muffled and slightly tinny-sounding so as to disguise it. He was preparing to fire another sedative-laced shot when the female spoke again. 

"Cog, is this female capable of  another one of those anomalies, and if so, what danger would it pose?" He got on the tips of his feet, readying himself to spring away if anything where to happen, as well as adjusting his gun accordingly. 

"I am unsure at the moment. There are signs of a temporal displacement near the female, as well as a higher volume of charged anti-matter. Proceed with caution."  

"Hey look, don't do anything stupid, I'm not here to hurt you." He paused for a moment, thinking on whether to say it or not. "I just want to run some tests and, well, study you." Octavian lowered his gun and raised one hand, palm out in a calming gesture.

He hoped that the female would not act erratically, but with the sedative running through her system, who knows what could happen. Anyways, if things got out of hand, he could just knock her out and wipe her memory of the past few minutes.   

Nike could feel her mind starting to slip as her vision became more narrowed. The stranger assured her he wouldn't harm her, but could she honestly believe that? He'd just broken into her apartment and drugged her with something. She didn't have much time though; within the next couple minutes she'd either be unconscious or in another state of mind.

The man continued, stating again that he wasn't there to hurt her before hesitantly adding that he just wanted to run some tests. The girl instinctively pressed her back against the couch in response, even as he put his gun down and peacefully held out his hand towards her.

“T-Tests...?” She managed to ask, her eyes beginning to grow heavy.

“You.......you don't understand...” She breathed, still seeming cautious even though she was quite close to passing out.

“When I lose time......bad things happen.”

As if in response to her words, the pain in her head increased. She closed her eyes tightly, trying to hold back. The more she resisted the worse the pain became, until things began to shake again. Fortunately for everyone involved, the drugs finally did their job and she lost consciousness. The shaking stopped immediately as her limp body slid over and she fell onto her side.

Octavian~

Octavian sighed and sat down with a thump. He reached up and took off his helmet, shaking his head and wiping his forehead on the back of a wrist. "Well, fuck me if that wasn't interesting." He spoke aloud as he studied the now motionless form of the female. "A most intriguing specimen indeed, what I would do to get her into a lab," Cog replied. Octavian sighed and got up, helmet tucked under his arm. He looked down at the unconscious form, then reached down with one hand and hoisted her onto his shoulder. "That won't be happening any time soon Cog, especially with what we just saw back there." He walked back into the bedroom and deposited the women face-up on the bed. He set his helmet down on the nightstand and got to work.

About ten minutes later and Octavian was done. The apartment was now rigged with micro-cameras, a full set of radiation sensors, temperature gauges, temporal shift sensors, seismic and impact gauges, and a few others. The doors and windows where bugged, recording every entry and exit from the apartment, the women's clothes and a few personal belongings where coated in a specific radioactive compound that would make tracking her easier. A hidden device on the door would also spray a different radioactive compound each time it was opened, so as to keep track of who entered and exited the place. A few canisters of nanites were also placed in hidden locations, to be activated when needed. Her personal computing device and cell phone were also bugged, and everything was linked to the router outside the bedroom window. 

Octavian made sure things were in order, fixed everything that had been thrown around with the anomaly, grabbed his helmet, looking back once at the sleeping female, then exited through the viscus glass window, making sure to return it to its natural state before making his way to the ground. He donned his coat and pants after retrieving them from their hiding place, then started to make his way back to his house.         

It was nearly an hour after Octavian had left before Nike stirred awake with a groan. Her eyes opened and darted about for a moment in confusion. When she realized she was in her bedroom, she sat up and touched her neck as if trying to feel for something. Not noticing anything, she then stood and woozily made her way towards her kitchen, seeming even more confused upon realizing nothing was out of place.

“What in the world...?” She murmured to herself, going to her couch and sitting down. Had she dreamed all of that? But why did she feel drowsy? Why did her head feel like someone had taken a bat to it? She couldn't even remember going to her bedroom. Now that she thought about it though, it would make even less sense if it were real. A guy in armor appearing from thin air and shooting sleeping darts at people? She'd probably just projected her own fears into her dream.

Giving a sigh she looked over at her kitchen table, seeing her groceries still sitting there. Getting up, she went over and took everything out. She felt weak, but she was hungry and she'd spent the money buying these things to eat, so she'd cook. She spent the next thirty minutes chopping, dicing, and mixing all the ingredients together in a large pan, her mind mostly blank. It was nice having repetitive tasks that would allow her to clear her mind at times.

Finishing up, she grabbed a bowl and some chopsticks and served herself before heading into the living room and plopping down on the couch. Switching on the TV she flipped through some channels until reaching the news, settling back against the cushions and slurping up some of her noodles. As the various stories of corruption, violence, and tragedy played across the screen she continued to eat, letting the images burn themselves into her mind. It was at times like this, watching the events taking place around the world, that she reflected on how strange and complex life was. So many lives, all affecting each other and influencing each other from around the globe, changing and striving for better lives in one way or another. There were so many people out there, each with their own aspirations and dreams and hopes, clawing at each other to get ahead. No, she didn't watch the news to feel good. She watched because she was looking for something; a sign that she wasn't alone. With her strange abilities and dangerous affliction she'd found it hard to connect with people. Sure, she could put on a smile and carry on a pleasant conversation, but in the end she would always carry some small amount of fear of being discovered. Perhaps that was why she'd had that dream. It made sense, especially after that extra violent black out she'd just had.

Finishing her dinner, she turned off the TV and went to clean things up. She still felt weary, so she turned off her lights and went to her room to curl up on her bed. Bringing out a little sketchbook, she started to doodle a bit. Even if she was too tired to do much, she could at least do this. She smiled a bit as the form took the shape of a heroine with what seemed to be magical powers of some kind. There were times she'd imagined herself donning a mask and costume to go out into the dark streets of the city and fight crime, but with her affliction it just wasn't possible. She would end up a villain instead of a hero, not to mention the negative attention she'd receive just for having abilities in the first place. No, the world wasn't ready for something like her, and she wasn't ready to deal with the responsibility her powers would ultimately bring.

Shutting her sketchbook she quickly changed into her pajamas, brushed her teeth, and then crawled under her covers to curl up. Reaching out she turned off her light and then stared at her window for a while. A part of her felt uneasy about falling asleep after her dream, but she couldn't stay awake forever. About twenty minutes later she fell asleep, all tucked up in her bed and unaware of the surveillance objects placed all about her apartment.

Octavian~

The door closed with a bang behind him as Octavian entered his apartment. Well, if you could call it an apartment. He lived in the basement of a large multi-story mansion, one of the ones that had been partitioned up and rented out. He lived in an older part of downtown, a few blocks away from where the cafe was located. He set his backpack down on a table, then hung his coat up on a wall hook. Octavian yawned and stretched his arms as he walked over to the kitchen, opening the fridge and peering inside. He frowned, then snapped his fingers as he remembered that he had gotten a roast at the store. He retrieved it from his backpack and stuck it in the slow cooker, adding some vegetables and seasonings and setting the timer.

Octavian made his way to his bedroom, which had a moderately sized master-bath. He stripped off his pants and boots, then undid the clasp of his bodysuit, folding it and setting it on a nearby chair. He turned on the shower and let it run for a moment to get warm, then proceeded to wash. Octavian was of an average build, well muscled but not overly so, having not opted for the genetic enhancements that a lot of the front-line legionaries went through. He did however have the full set of cybernetic implants, with interface ports scattered all along his spine and neck, along with the embedded polymer cores that reinforced his skeletal structure. His body was also marred by numerous scars and burn marks, the largest of which stretched from his right hip and wrapped across his chest to his left shoulder. He stepped into the shower and just felt the warm water wash over him for a few moments, collecting his thoughts. The past couple of hours had been interesting to say the least, and Octavian had a lot to go through. He finished washing up, dressing in a pair of black sweatpants, and walked over to his computer terminal. He booted it up and waited. 

"Good evening Centurion." Cog's AI avatar popped up on the virtual scanning bed, taking the form of a 3D model of a gray-bearded senator, complete with traditional dress. The AI spoke out loud now, as it was very taxing to keep up the inner-head conversations for an extended period, even for individuals like Octavian. "Hello Cog. Would you please bring up the weeks data sheets, as well as all the material we gathered on that female earlier." 

"Right away." As soon as he finished speaking, the holo-projector was filled with data, made up of reports, videos, measurements and everything in between. Octavian's eyes flashed as he quickly scanned the information, looking for patterns. 

There was still not enough information on the female to make any solid conclusion, so he put all that aside and focused on the main issue. All of last weeks findings.

As he read, cross-referencing new bits of data with information from the Imperial Archives, Octavian felt a rising pit of dread growing in his chest. What he was slowly uncovering was impossible............Wasn't it?  

"Cog......" He spoke the AI's name almost as a question, eyes still glued to the projection. 

"I see it too Sir, and I must say I am as astonished as you." 

"But, this, this is impossible!" Octavian ran a hand through his dark hair, letting out a pent up breath. 

"I'm afraid not Sir, all the evidence points to the same conclusion."

The feeling of dread slowly grew into a cold fist of revulsion and nausea, and Octavian clenched his hands into fists. The language, the culture, the names, they all indicated one thing.

Terra.

The Romanii had found home. 

Nike slept the whole night through without a hitch. As nervous as she'd been to fall asleep, she didn't even recall dreaming when she woke up. Giving a pleased hum she sat up and stretched. The sun was out today, and the sight of it outside her window made her feel refreshed after the events of last night.

Grabbing up a towel, she made her way into the bathroom to shower. Stripping down she stepped into the warm water with a sigh. She just stood there for a little while, soaking up the heat from the water and the steam before beginning to scrub shampoo into her hair followed by conditioner. Her body was a little above average as far as looks went. She wasn't a skinny, tall goddess but she had pleasant curves and some tone to her calves, arms, and stomach. Along her back and across the front of her hips there were some old scars, barely noticeable in the thick steam. Taking some soap into her hands, she scrubbed herself down and rinsed off before turning off the water and stepping out to dry off.

Getting back to her room she changed and looked at her clock. It was about 8:00am, which meant her doctor's office was probably open now. Sitting down on the edge of her bed, she scrolled through the numbers on her phone until she reached her doctor. The phone conversation wasn't long, and soon enough she'd scheduled an appoint for that afternoon. It wasn't her favorite thing to do on her day off, but it was necessary after what happened yesterday.

One breakfast later and she was on her way out the door. Her appointment wasn't for a few hours, but she didn't like the idea of spending the whole day in her apartment. She headed out into the cold and made her way to a bus stop. Perhaps she'd walk around the downtown area for a while and do some window shopping. She wasn't one to spend much money; not that she had much. However, she did enjoy looking at things and it got her out of the house.

The bus ride was only about fifteen minutes. She hopped off right in the middle of the shopping district where countless boutiques, shops, and mini galleries lined the streets. It looked like the kind of place a person could easily spend a ton of money.

“Hmmm....” She hummed to herself as she walked down the sidewalk, taking note of bright and colorful Turkish lamps hanging in one store window. She loved bright and vibrant colors, even now as an adult. Admiring the craftsmanship for a time, she then continued on along the street.

Octavian~

116 A.D. 

Province of Britannia

Legio IX Hispana

Wide open moors made up the majority of the local landscape, with the Cheviot hills rising back in the distance. The gleaming snake that was the column of marching soldiers wound its way through the valley floor, the long procession of camp followers and supply wagons following shortly behind. The 9th had been tasked with advancing into the Pictish lands, taking strategic locations in preparation for the main invasion force of three legions. Emperor Antoninus Pius had decided to rid the British isles of the Pictish menace once and for all, and the 9th was to be the tip of the spear that would do so. 

Modern Day

Octavian racked the weights and wiped his forehead with a cloth. He glanced up at the egressed window wells, noting that light was starting to peak through. He made his way to the bathroom, jumping into the shower and quickly washing up. He dried off and sat down at his computer terminal, a dull look in his eyes. After last nights revelation, Octavian needed time to think, so he had just worked out all night, not stopping until now. He only needed to sleep for a few hours every other day thanks to his enhancements, a necessity for any soldier, so he didn't feel tired in the least. 

"Cog, what I'm I supposed to do? I can't send this back to command, I'll be crucified!" And he wasn't speaking in strictly metaphorical terms either. Although crucifixion had fallen out of style of late, it was still used in rarer cases for traitors and the like. 

"The scientific community will be delighted at this finding I assure you." Cog's voice broke through the silence in his usual slightly-mad cheer. "It's the diviners and some of the senatorial body and patrician families you have to be worried about."

Octavian snorted in derision. "A bunch of stuffy loons with their heads so far up their own asses they can see the moon." He sighed and got up. "Well, no point in worrying about it. I don't have to send back the data for a few more days, so I have some time to make a plan." He made himself a quick meal and dressed to go out, intending on making the rounds to his data-collection sites.

The door shut behind him with a thud, and Octavian made his way down the street, his thoughts still racing.         

Users who are viewing this thread

Back