• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Cash-Up Carwash

Characters
Here
"'Frizzy?'" Lanna echoed. The chic had just proved Jonah's very point. "Um... thank you." She knew responding as this was nice, but at the same time, she felt uncomfortable and went to pick up the hose at the side. "Mmm." In some ways, her hair did fly a little bit to the relentless humidity, but her effort to slick them down with a few hand brushes must not had been enough. So she proceeded to feel at her hair and try harder.

All of the elites took close watch of the new customer's approach. Time to take notes.

Jonah nodded. "Sure is," he said looking at Lanna as she responded to Erin. If it was appropriate to facepalm he would have. Yet, they had to save face in front of the sharks lurking just beyond the safety of the shop. His discomfort level grew, making his stomach twist. "Do you want the full wash? Waxing and everything?" he asked taking a step back. The perfume from her car wafted in his direction, it was quite cloying.

Erin nodded, giggling slightly as she looked at Jonah. "Wax and towel dry, please," she said, dragging out the last word as she flashed her white teeth. "Your co-worker is adorable." Erin stepped out of the car and held up the keys.

"That's not-" he shoved the keys into his chest. "How we do things."

"I'll just take in the view from over there," she pointed at the lot behind him.

Jonah nodded as he clutched the keys. That was certainly uncomfortable. Erin walked off, flipping her pony as she moved away from him. Jonah disappeared inside the shop to grab the buckets and soap before heading back to her car. He frowned as he realized he'd forgotten the wax and towels. Erin waved to him as she stood off in the distance. He gave her a stiff nod before scurrying back inside for the forgotten items. When he headed back out, Erin was gone. He frowned, where had she run off to?​

After brushing one last pat to her "frizzy" hair, Lanna met eyes with Jonah's approach. "I've never smelled a car so fragrant like that," she said. "Must be very... rich. Unless I'm just assuming." Taking the hose to the car, she sighed to herself and set the hose down in front of the driver wheel. Erin reminded her of her noveau riche aunt — seeking a one-sided, self-centered conversation. And, surely, she couldn't help but respect her flashy boldness. She searched for the girl again but couldn't find her.

"Whose is she?" One of the businesswomen in a pact fanned herself. "I feel like I've seen her around."

"Probably not," Mr. Vennatta's advisor said. "I know I haven't so surely you haven't. If she's one of ours, then she's a rebellious one." Then, he turned to his client. "Well, since Mr. Hernikins didn't take up the offer, maybe we should try some other time."

"Well said. When autumn comes, that's when he'll need us most." The businessman loosened his tie with a stroll to his car. "I'm off, you all." With all of the unique departure norms from each elite — the French wave, the bow, the flip of the hair, whatever — the businessman gave his last nod, entering the passenger seat of his shiny, silky sedan. And his advisor drove them away from the scene.

"I guess I better head on too," other elites added. Now that they saw business flowed a bit, they were slightly concerned about their agenda pursued too soon. However, Mr. Vennatta wasn't a quitter; he'd be back.

Jonah moved toward the car as Lanna combed her hair with her fingers. "If you ask me, it's a little much," Jonah said quietly, not sure where Erin was hiding now. "She most definitely is." He moved to the side of the car Lanna was, to soap down what she'd already sprayed. Jonah put soap on the sponge before kneeling to wipe the rims. "Don't let her get to you," he said looking up at Lanna. "Your hair looks great." He smiled at her, nodding. "I've known Erin for a little while now, we attend the same university." Lucky him. "She's all bark and no bite." Though barking, at times, was worse than biting. Erin was flashy and stubborn, but threatened by every woman she came into contact with.

A loud laugh pierced the air from behind the pair. "She's back," Jonah muttered before glancing behind him. Erin had a Starbucks cup in her hand as she stood outside another vehicle. It was Jade in her Mercedes. Jonah didn't mind Jade, she wasn't another carbon copy of Erin. The girls were chatting, Erin occasionally glancing over at Jonah and Lanna. "The faster we get this done the faster we get away from that smell," Jonah said chuckling as he stood to wipe the hood. "So Lanna, what's your favourite thing to do?" He asked as she sponged some bird poop off the car. Though this job lacked 'glamour' it certainly had a community appeal.​

Working faster with a shallow rinse of the back, Lanna strolled around in the reassurance of her hair. Jonah was right; she only could make it as great as she could in beating hot weather. And besides, this Erin definitely seemed to be the "all bark and no bite" type of girl. Comforted, Lanna gave a smile despite hearing the chatter of the girls behind.

"Well, I really, really like making painting on silk to pass the time: flowers, bamboo, anything I would want to hang in my room at least." She didn't mention about the other art she would want to go for professionally, such as statues. Shabby works didn't count in this list. "If it looks good enough, hmhm. And what about you?" She set the hose down and scrubbed the back bumper.

Jonah slowly moved along behind Lanna as she continued to soak the vehicle. Erin's hyena laughed broke through the sound of water crashing against the SUV. Jonah, frowned before quickly glancing at the woman behind him. She was leaned over the window sill of the sports car, her face almost entirely inside the car. Despite being engaged in conversation with Jade, she was still watching Jonah and Lanna while they worked.

Jonah turned to face Lanna as she spoke. "Wow. Sounds amazing and difficult. I'm talented at making complex stick people," he said with a short laugh. "You'll have to show me sometime because I think I've only ever seen paint on a canvas." Jonah moved to the back rim and began scrubbing the packed in dirt in between the spokes. "If we're talking hobbies, I like music, playing guitar and drums and tinkering with cars. For life stuff, I'm big on socializing." He smiled before continuing, "Such as hanging out and getting to know people." He stood and stretched. "When I'm bent over like that, I feel old and achy." He laughed shaking his head before moving onto the other side to work on the rims.

"We should play a game," he suggested, raising a brow as he looked at her from the back rim. "Like 'Never Have I Ever'. What do you think?"​

Complex stick figures Lanna could only imagine let her chuckle a bit, and with consideration of Jonah's activities, the girl could definitely tell of his social trait. He also seemed to have another creative side to him outside of drawing: music. And no wonder he worked here at the car shop; he was a tinkerer.

Then to Jonah's question, temporarily pulled from the conversation with Erin's every cackle, she said, "Oh, I love that game. Yeah, let's play." The squealing of the soap on the sponge she wiped the hood with almost overtook her light-hearted excitement. Yet that car's smell definitely triggered a dull headache.

Jonah grinned. "Perfect. I find it always passes the time." He stood after finishing all the rims. This car was hardly what he'd call filthy and far from the need for a car wash as detailed as the one she desired. Jonah brushed back his brown curls before soaping down the side of the vehicle. At least it wouldn't take too long to finish up. "Alright. We'll have to raise the stakes though. The one who has done the most has to do something." He sucked in a breath and exhaled slowly.

"Loser has to give the keys back to Erin?" He asked raising his brow. He didn't want to step anywhere near that woman or her frilly smelling car. The fragrance was nearly unbearable. "And has to compliment her." He paused. Would it be too far to say a backhanded compliment? He felt torn, the temptation to insult her becoming overwhelming. "A backhanded compliment, unless you can think of something better." He shrugged. Creating some spice was the best way to play.​

For a compliment suitable for Erin, Lanna felt it wouldn't be much of a chore. Expecting a barky reply would be the question if she'd be willing to go with the agreement or not. She knew that she didn't do too much in her life but wanted to put herself up to the challenge anyway. "Okay, yeah," she said, "Let's go at it."

She had just finished up with all four windows, keeping them as sleek and clear as the bubbled soap suds would allow. The cooling sweat about her neck constantly reminded her not only to rinse off the car, but find a reason to throw herself in the rinse as well. She glanced in the direction of the scattering elites afar, a pack much less without their main contender. Relief was all she could feel, now that Tod could relax for the rest of the day without feeling intimidated by their voiceless offers and suggestions. But now it was like having them there again, except Erin and her little friend replaced them.

"Fantastic," Jonah said with a laugh. This would be interesting. He was looking forward to the game. "Okay, we'll make it brief. Uh-three fingers opposed to the usual five or ten." They didn't have that kind of time. "And no cheap shots like 'never have I ever been a boy'," he said, his voice raising as though to mock a woman before pausing. "Unless you have, then..." He trailed off before clearing his throat.

"I'll go first." Jonah glanced at Erin, ensuring her location before they began. The girl was still hunched over, half in the vehicle. Jonah moved closer to Lanna as he continued to soap the car down. "Never have I ever kissed a man," he said.​

Taking a precautious glance in Erin's direction, Lanna reminded herself that if she lost this game, it would be a backhand compliment she would have to make up. With a nod, she listened close to Jonah's statement.

"Hey, isn't that a 'cheap shot?'" Lanna smiled and paused from scrubbing the car's sides down. While she didn't understand what a "cheap shot" actually was in Jonah's book, she understood that "never have I ever been with a boy" sounded similar to "never have I ever kissed a man." And back to scrubbing she went.

Jonah laughed, grinning at Lanna as he shook his head. "Not anymore," he said as he scrubbed the side of the vehicle. "Maybe a little cheap, but I make the rules so I can break them." He winked. "Fine." He raised his hands. "I'll ask a different question." He tapped his chin for a moment before snapping his fingers. "Never have I ever had long hair," he said his voice raising as his confidence waned. "Yeah, let's go with that one. By long, I mean about shoulder length. I guess." He shrugged. There were so many terms that girls knew for things like that.

"Put a finger down pretty lady," he said, brow raised as his confidence returned. "Now it's your turn." He returned to cleaning the car before glancing at Erin. As much as he wanted to win, he also wanted to lose. He'd rather not face her and give her a such a well-dressed insult, but the temptation was nearly overwhelming.​

"Oh no." Lanna couldn't help but recall a time that her hair was longer than how it was now, folding down a finger. Meanwhile, her other hand still took care of washed the vehicle bumper. "That was a good one." By now, the car almost would be ready for rinsing. She took a step back after sponging the bumper real hard once more, thinking hard on what to say. "Oh!" She wagged a finger, going for the hose coiled up at the side of the shop. "I have one. You're not going to be able to miss this."

Coming back over, she dragged hose over and threw it at the vehicle's side, then she grinned up to Jonah. "Never have I ever driven a car." Ironic the situation was for Lanna indeed that she never drove but washes cars. Back in her country, driving could pose many risks due to poor roads. And especially since she always had her head in books, she never bothered to get her license, let alone think about a dream car. "Mm-hm," she nodded with a raise of the brows.

Jonah grinned at her admission of defeat at the first round of his questions. He stepped back as she went for the hose, watching her a moment before she seemed triumphant. "Hit me," he said, chuckling lightly as she started back with the hose. He was intrigued by her words and looked forward to the question. She seemed rather excited, the raise in her voice, arch of her brow informed him that it may not end well for him.

When he met her grin, his smile faded. "What? You've never driven a car?" His eyes widened at his bewilderment. He was truly stunned. The only people he met that hadn't driven were fourteen years old and under. "And..." he trailed of, scratching his head. "You realize you work at a car wash, right?" He started laughing and his smile returned. "You are something else Lanna." He shook his head as she raised her brow. "Alright. Round two." He pursed his lips. "Never have I ever left the State of California." It was a long state and he never had a reason to leave. His family resided here, his school was here, and all of his friends were here. Though he yearned for the adventure of the outside, he'd yet to make that leap, though it was coming.

He wiggled his brow at her. "Whatcha got for me now?"​

"Ohoho." Biting the bottom of her lip, Lanna searched around for another comeback. She got away with her driving situation, but this one couldn't compete entirely, since she had been back home in Vietnam several times — let alone lived there. Yet, somewhere at the back of her mind, she wondered if Jonah truly did go elsewhere from California, such as the state of Florida. "Wait, wait. Are you sure you hadn't been anywhere else? Always in California?"

Interrupting her thought so quick, she added, "Oh, do you think we're ready to rinse, now? I think we've scrubbed her car pretty well." She still practiced endlessly in her mind what compliment she could offer to Erin, especially if she received a bark back. And, she made sure she put all her effort in this game against Jonah to relieve her of the possible, coming burden.

Jonah smacked his forehead. "I meant out of country," he said with a laugh. "Sometimes I feel like a bumbling idiot." He grinned as he shook his head. "Guess I just wanted to nail you on that one." He shrugged stepping away from the car. "I suppose I did mess that one up." He ran his fingers through his curly hair before glancing at Erin. The volume of the music seemed to increase in the last few minutes. Was that her way of getting attention? He rolled his eyes before glancing at Lanna.

"Alright. You have two options, let it be out of country or skip over my momentary lapse in brain activity." He picked of the hose, putting the nozzle on jet. "Steer clear or you might end up like the car." He wiggled his brow, still grinning.​

Last edited:
The increased volume made it a little more difficult for Lanna to hear, but she still could get the gist of what Jonah said, nodding and said, "Yes, yes," stepping away from the car, hoping a few refreshing sprinkles would shower her of all the heat about. "Out of country. It counts," folding a finger down. One more strike and she was done for. Playing fair meant much to her, but she also wanted to win badly. "Okay, okay. Have been in Vietnam and Japan a few times. That was a good one."

"Never had I ever played a string instrument. A musical instrument." Well, she did play piano. And while pianos do have strings in them, they are, for the most part, considered percussive. In due honesty, her ideas began to run short. She had to think of at least one more for the goal.

When Lanna stepped away, Jonah pressed the handle and water shot from the nozzle, hitting her car with a rhythmic slap. As he watched the soap slide off the car, he sighed. He certainly didn't want to lose and he rather revel in hearing Lanna's "compliment". He moved around the car, stepping toward Lanna first, to hear her over the water and music. He smiled as she agreed with him before laughing at her comment.

"Ouch. Maybe I shouldn't have barred my soul to you," he said, still grinning. "That was a good one." He bit his lip, weighing his options as he sprayed the car. He looked at Lanna before saying, "Never have I chosen to paint and the like to pass the time." He nodded, feeling confident about his answer this time. He couldn't very well say 'art', it was much too broad a topic and included his guitar playing hobby. Jonah always had a dislike for drawing and such because they never looked like what he imagined. Besides, painting and such were never something he chose to do. He didn't have the patience or skill for it.​

Lanna could tell the confidence in Jonah's answer, and alas, it got her to pull her finger down. That made strike three. "Oh." She almost thought she could win, but at the back of her mind, she knew that since Jonah got the start, he did have the advantage. "Well, that's it." Now she had to think of what to say to Erin, how to say it, and prepare herself for her response. Perhaps when they finish up with her car, she could offer it over.

"Yeah, I do like to paint and pass the time. Favorite way to spread the hobby." Unknowing she worded what she intended to say as her favorite hobby as vague, she watched some of the soap suds slide down from the sides of the car as the hose water shot them down. And then she looked up to Jonah with a smile. "Good game."

Jonah watched as her finger disappeared. His stomach was flopping with anticipation. Lanna seemed too nice to insult anyone, though she as rather fierce during the game. "That was rather fun," Jonah said. It had been awhile since he played that game, but it never failed to amuse him, especially when there was something to lose...or gain he supposed. He continued moving around the car until he was back at the front. Releasing the nozzle he raised a brow at Lanna.

Something about the way she worded that sentence was odd, but he didn't contemplate it much. "You too. It seems that our job is almost done," he said dropping the hose. Hopefully there next car wouldn't be far off. Baking in the sun made the day a lot longer than washing cars. "Got some great lines in the queue?" He asked grabbing some towels off the stack outside. Tod's car wash may have been a little old school, but it he wouldn't take his car anywhere else. Towel drying prevented any of those awful streaks.

He opened the towel and started rubbing the car down. This was typically the most tedious part of the job.​

Lanna had grabbed her a towel to help the drying process as well, rubbing the car down. "I hope so," she said. Her mind went many places, many situations, many responses from an unpredictable chic like Erin. She did not want to insult Erin, but yet, she did not want to compliment her, either. It stood right in the middle — that desire to let Erin be at all costs. Yet, to honor the dare, she had to think of something, something that wouldn't seem strange for a stranger like her to say so abruptly. All of this thinking made her slow her rubs on the car's windows.

And then it clicked. Instead of complimenting Erin on her looks or her pungent car, which still stung Lanna's nose with each breath, Lanna couldn't help but consider the conversation Erin had with her friend nearby. She could tell she was very sociable and up-to date despite all her cackling.

Jonah started moving down the side of the vehicle. "You can practice on me, if you want." He poked his out from around the back, looking at his rave haired colleague. "Or you can keep me in suspense. Either way, I'm sure it'll be grand," Jonah said as the music grew quieter. He glanced at Erin who seemed far more animated than a moment ago. Girls were a peculiar breed and he hardly understand half of what they talked about.

He high pitched voice rang out followed by her shrill laughter. Something about a concert, tickets, and getting a date before they moved onto makeup. It was astounding that women could keep up with one another. They bounded from topic to topic before he had a chance to blink. Now they mentioned homework, Mr. Brickson's class. Crap. They had homework? He'd have to check the syllabus. He'd be fine, homework was always due at the end of week. Jonah moved away from the car, walking toward the front with towel in hand.

"I hardly understand anything they're saying." He shrugged. "Probably for the best." He laughed. Erin was the school gossip, she knew everyone's business and didn't hesitate to stick her nose in anything.​

"Haha," Lanna let out a light snicker, fingering a part of her sweat-soaked hair behind her ear. Getting a tan in this relentlessly hot weather bothered her most. She wondered how the girls handled it. "It sounds like they're having a lot of fun, though." While she did not understand the realms of the girls' conversation, she somewhat missed how it was like to meet with her friends back in Vietnam, to meet on Saturdays at a restaurant and catch up with topic-volatile conversations.

"I'm going to keep it a surprise. When we finish up with her car, I'll go do it." With that, she bent down and caught the building water droplets at the car's bottom edges, letting the already damp towel soak them in.

Meanwhile, inside the humid shop, Tod fanned himself a few more times after finishing another sales calculation. He knew money had slowed down for a while, and before long if not enough sales were made in the coming month, then he would have to forget about the air conditioning unit he wanted to get, let alone the interior renovations. Eventually, when the inside would have an attractive flare to it, he would want the car shop to be more — a hangout where people could buy a few conveniences. Not only it would help the business, but it would also improve the community bonding. Of course, then it would somewhat seem like a gas station or convenience store then, but it would save a lot of people from standing out in the hot sun, despite having the overhead parking space.

With a small huff, he got up and went over to the aged magazine rack sitting to itself at the corner of the room, taking a dry magazine to see if anyone in town had services of the like for sale.

Jonah smiled and nodded. "That it does," he said. It seemed like they were trying to make sure the world knew they were having a good time too. After a moment Jonah stepped back and circled the car, checking for anymore water. It seemed as though they'd gotten all of it and no streaks would tarnish the SUV. Jonah slung the towel over his shoulder before stopping in front of the car. "I think it's all done."

Jonah chuckled. "I'm looking forward to hearing it," he said, glancing over at Erin. He didn't mind being kept in suspense, sometimes it was fun and it definitely kept the 'spice' alive. He liked secrets and surprises. He reveled in mystery. "At least this side is done." He smiled, rubbing the back of his neck. Now that they were done with the hose, everything seemed to get hotter.​

Only a few, unwiped droplets rested still on the car, their forms soon to evaporate in sweltering afternoon heat. Lanna didn't mind them when she checked for them after Jonah, then glanced over to the chattering girls. She gave her last thoughts on what she would tell Erin, finding the qualities Erin had which she, Lanna, wished for herself. Of course, it was her ability to socialize. How Erin would take it was the question.

Tod popped out of the door, wiping his beard. He turned to and viewed the building's trimming and corners, considering what to do if he renovated the shop to a car-wash-bar fusion. The two students painted the edge well. He, nodding, went back inside. It was about time he paid them. Yet, he considered what lied before him: the task to keep his crazy imagination at a minimum but still prove to the speculative business people the potential of the shop's existence. "Hmm." Lanna glanced in Tod's direction then smiled to Jonah.

"I'll do the honors of telling her we're done," she said, starting off for the two girls. Over and over she repeated her lines, hoping they would come out right in the appropriate moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back