• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Cash-Up Carwash

Characters
Here

Anshelical

Wandering the Artist Alter Ego
Breeze, suffocated by heat in a bustling district of Los Angeles (L.A.), barely cools off the many drivers reaching for air out of their windows of dry, dusty cars. No cloud wades in the sky; sunlight's heat falls down upon the crowded street, Hill Street, one that of a continuous line of businesses, residences, and simple city decoration. Students enjoying their midday break from the University of South California chatter by feet and wheels, expressing their summer class woes in such a hot time. The draconic archway to Chinatown glistens its gold scales and welcomes locals and tourists alike to a variety of Asian venues and eateries, with a few street performers impressing with diverse expression about them. Phones click and snap to the Metro 417 edifice stealing the railways of roadways nearby, its old Subway Terminal Building mystique of a Renaissance phenomenon attracting desires for a luxury stay. Despite all of these sights, no one can be saved from the 100 degree weather.

That would include a small establishment at the end of this bustling street, its tiny frame chapped of paint from the relentless climate: the Cash-Up Car Shop, where a group of elites stood about it.

"How much is the building being sold for?"

"It's not for sale."

"What? You mean this thing's not for sale? No one's made an offer to the owner yet?"

"Wait, you mean someone owns this place? Looks abandoned to me."

"It could become a branch firm, a restaurant, maybe even a museum if we were to extend the walls," Tate Vennatta, CEO of a well-known investment company, Vinesta Corporation, whispered to some of his board members. "No, it could be a salon, if it was really that adamant. Just something useful."

Beside him was his financial adviser fanning his own cheek. "That owner is really reluctant. Really, really reluctant. Just need to offer 'em a lot of money and he'll be out of the way."

"This is, like, the only building on this street that isn't up to date."

Indeed, that dingy fort extended with an exposed garage covered Tod Hernikins within from some of the hot weather, a fan blowing behind him to compete with the rising temperature. From his lukewarm bottle, he took another sip of water, eyeing each member of the curious crowd outside his shop. He knew what this meant, the gathering of people dressed in clean-seamed suits and surrounding, polished cars. It was just only five years ago another company sought the same end to sell out his business his father worked so hard for, and the stakes were truly high. Even for half a million dollars, Tod would never sell this shop, considering its long-lasting miracle standing on Hill Street. And now that he managed to earn some real employees, students desperate for work to pass the summer days, he wished to make the business much bigger and better.

Behind him, a youthful girl not afraid to wear her baggy shirt in such hot weather, huffed as she carried a messy can of beige paint over. "Hey, Mr. Hern, what about this color?" She managed to stir the white and yellow paint together as some of the base colors lied upon the can rims.

"Yeah," Tod glanced into the can with a pinch to his beard. Whatever color would do for him, as long as the shop looked better on the outside. "That's good. Just around the seams where you washed yesterday'll do. Gotta make the colors all poppy." With that, he set down his water bottle and started off for the closet toward the back of the shop. "I'll get the polisher paint for ya."

"Okay," she said, swinging the heavy can by the handles as she headed outside to paint. Something about the crowd nearby bothered her as she painted, despite her love for the hobby, hoping that her skills would be enough for them to be satisfied.

[class=bo] margin: auto; width: 90%; [/class] [class=he] font-size: 35px; text-align: center; [/class]

[div class=bo][div class=he]Terrance Loi[/div]

Terrance eyed Tod's spot in front of the fan enviously, grumbling quietly about the heat in LA compared to Montréal for the third time. He fanned himself with his right hand, even while knowing it would just make him hotter, and pulled on his shirt with his left.

"Where are all the cars today?" Picking up the once-white rag he had left on the counter, he squirted a cracked tile on the floor with an all-purpose cleaner and started half-heartedly rubbing at it. The black stain on there had been stubborn enough to last through every cleaner he had tried yet, and he held no more hope for this particular brand than he had for the rest.
[/div]

original.gif
Jonah Addington
Interaction(s): Anshelical Anshelical Ambiloquous Ambiloquous

Jonah yawned as he glanced at the suits. They eyed the place with a judgment only people like them could. He smiled and gave them a small wave before wiping his forehead with the back of his hand. They probably took one look at this place and deemed it condemned. Though it was a bit of an eyesore on the outside, it was something easily fixed by a fresh coat of paint. Jonah glanced over at Tod chilling behind the fan. It was pretty warm out, but he didn't mind it too much. Soon they'd be slinging water on cars and he'd cool down.

Jonah looked at Terrence and shrugged. "They're just running late," he said before moving toward the door Lanna went out. When he stepped outside, heat wrapped around him and his temptation to lose a layer rose. "It's burning out here." He wasn't sure how she tolerated it with all that hair and it was still pretty early, which meant it would only get hotter as the day progressed. His attentioned focused on the paint. The colour that was chosen wasn't so bad, it could've been worse and though he couldn't think of a worse colour, that didn't mean one didn't exist.

"Don't mind if I help, do ya?" He asked reaching for a paint brush. He figured he'd pitch in until cars started to show up.​

Throwing her fallen hair over her shoulder, Lanna nodded to Jonah. "Yeah, sure. Just try not to burn out here, haha."

Even Tod noticed something was wrong with the flow of business today. Only but a few cars had stopped by earlier during the day, and now there was practically nothing. With a huff, taking the paint polisher down from the shelf, he glanced to tired Terrance and headed to the two painters. "Here ya go."

"Oh, thanks," Lanna took the polisher.

Tod rested his eyes upon the gatherers again from afar, debating if he should confront them. After some shallow thoughts of doubt, he retreated back inside the shop, went to the back to lock the shelf again, and rested under the fan again. "Need some water?" He asked Terrance. "Ain't got a lot; we're going through them fast."

simon-nessman-sandro-spring-summer-2019-001.jpg
Jonah Addington
Interaction(s): Anshelical Anshelical

Jonah chuckled and nodded as he wiped his brow. He picked up the brush and dipped it into the paint before pressing it against the building. The paint half dried by the time he did one stroke. "So, how did you end up here?" He asked Lanna before he heard someone behind him. Jonah glanced back as Tod made his way over to them. Lanna took the polisher before Tod glanced at the suits. The long pause made Jonah half smile, he wasn't the only one irritated by their presence.

When people like that appear, it never means anything good. Jonah was curious about their sudden and alarming decision to come and stick around. The last time men like that showed up at his work, his boss ended up in jail. Jonah glanced at Tod, he doubted that was the case. His eyes rested on the building again. It probably had something to do with the business, not the man that owned it, at least that was his hope.

When Tod moved off, Jonah resumed painting. He cast one last look at the men. If Tod wasn't going to bother with them, neither should he - even if the temptation was rising.

Though she never understood everything about the capitalist world, Lanna could at least interpret the reason behind the distracting, leering crowd nearby. She had her share in watching foreclosures and ownership buy-outs, leaving her indignant to find the transcendant behavior between her land and this one. But, in her eyes, no one would listen to a foreigner like her.

Indeed, those elites still stood there with their own streak of competitive advantage in mind, especially Mr. Vennatta. With close watch on Hermit Hernikins' silhouette within the building's windows, he turned to his advisor and discussed a proper amount of money to offer.

To Jonah's question, Lanna could only imagine scene-by-scene of her journey from her land of Vietnam to California. "Well, I'm here through the University's international student program. Been here for about two years now. But, I used to live in Vietnam for pretty much my entire childhood." She slung her heavy hair behind her neck which trickled over her shoulders as she painted. "Had to study a lot and stuff. But it paid off; I'm here now. What about you?"

h.jpg
Jonah Addington
Anshelical Anshelical

Jonah nodded as Lanna spoke. "That's pretty cool," he said feeling sweat bead on his forehead. The heat only stifled more the longer he stood. He glanced at Lanna and chuckled lightly. "I think that's awesome, but I meant what brought you to the car wash." He half smiled before returning to paint. She must be a pretty quick study, intelligent. Jonah knew he could do well, if he applied himself, but he found life had more to offer than spending days on homework. "I should work harder, like you," he quickly added with a laugh.

"I don't think I've ever left California." He paused. "I guess I went to Florida, but that's just like Cali." The colour soaked in rather well and it definitely looked better than the colour before. "I needed a job and this place is great. At least, that's what everyone says." he shrugged. Despite his family being well off, they believed in instilling a good work ethic.​

As the paint colors smoothed in well with the rest the two of them painted, Lanna listened to Jonah's take on the shop. "Haha, yeah. Heard a few saying this place was good for the summer. But that's pretty cool. You must be very used to this hot weather.

"Oh, and I thought you meant how I ended up here in the Americas," she smiled. "See — if anything, I'm slacker material. I'm no way a standard. I asked some of my friends at school about some places to work, and they gave me a job hiring sheet thing. Saw this, so I took a shot at it. Reminded me of the days I would clean my car with my dad, but still make decisions on a whim." With a glance from to the elites and back to Jonah, she shrugged.

"Twenty-thousand?" Vennatta's advisor raised a brow.

"Thirty," Vennatta said. "Not too much to overcharge something this cheap, but enough to get 'em to sell."

Thirty thousand dollars probably wasn't going to be enough for Tod, who pulled out a calculator from his pocket with a lean to the frosted, dingy windows, close enough to the fan. Nothing more was on his mind but how to deal with the offers if they started coming very soon.

206ed8e26c0536db9016a142eb8ba657.jpg
Jonah Addington
Interaction: Anshelical Anshelical

Jonah nodded. "Definitely, since I'm allergic to cold weather. Gotta stay where the sun shines hot all year round." Jonah glanced at Lanna. He figured it wasn't really his place to ask how she came to America and he preferred 'light and breezy' right now since he didn't know her that well. Plus, he knew several people who got offended by that question and he didn't want to add his co-worker to that list...it could make things awkward at work.

Jonah smirked. She bounced around from topic to topic mid-sentence, that takes skill. "Nice. How are you liking it so far? I think the best part of this job is soaking your colleague," Jonah said with a laugh as he wiggled his brow. The temptation to throw paint on her rose.​

"Haha, soaking?" Lanna didn't quite understand what he meant. Whether it was through the car washes or simply through all the water they'd be scarfing down after a hard, hot day's work, she knew it had to do with a lot of water. "The water feels like a blessing when we get it going for sure. But I really like... I like the inspiration. I mean, I don't know how to say it. It's the..." What she was trying to say was that she liked the dedication of the work ethic. But, of course, while her English was quite advanced, she still had a lot to learn about abstract concepts. "It's the working that's interesting — to work all day and night without wanting to quit. I feel like I'm wanted here."

h.jpg
Jonah Addington
Anshelical Anshelical

Jonah chuckled at her comment. "Water fights are clearly the best part about working at a car wash," Jonah said, grinning. He nodded, the sun beating down on his back as he resumed painting. They'd painted quite a bit, more than he realized. "Yeah, I guess so." He'd never considered that. Work was just work and it was something he had to do. "I think that's the benefit of working at a small facility." He glanced at her. "It's more personal and feels more like home." His smile faded a bit. He enjoyed working here, their boss was fair and fought for his establishment, and he admired that quality about him. It would have been easier for him to sell it and be on his way, but he took pride in his building.

"Looks like were about done with this section," Jonah said, stepping back to assess the building. "Good work." He chuckled lightly. "What are you studying?" He asked.​

With a sweep back of her persistent bang of hair falling out from behind her ear, Lanna surveyed the "good work" the two of them did and nodded. "Oh, I'm studying for my master in Finance Engineering — such a tough program." This brought her thoughts to some of the sleepless nights studying and finishing papers. "But I'm getting closer to being done, so now it's time for me to think about..." She glanced back to the elites from behind, especially Tate Vennatta's settled look on the building. "... Well, things like this, hmhm."

Vennatta was set on trying again with Hernikins. "I'll be right back," he told his adviser, making his way to the two painters. And the adviser, unknowing of the atmosphere entirely, decided to stay behind as the rest of the elites, but of course they were curious as to what was about to unfold of the lone, courageous businessman.

Tod was about done punching numbers with his thick thumbs, preparing for what was to come in the approaching rainy months and increased business rates. It was his hope that the present dry weather would also encourage customers to continue returning for quick washes at least. But, when he glanced up, the approaching figure so clear in the dingy window got his attention.

"Hey, I'll be right back. I'm going to tell Tod the work we've done so far," Lanna said. "I think we're going to start on the panels next." And with that, she headed for Tod's direction into the shop, only to briefly obstruct Vennatta's set march toward Jonah. "Excuse me." And she continued, wondering what was in store.

"Excuse me, young sir," the businessman said upon arrival. "You have a minute on you?"

large-1530116018-b30a0a74caedd869689dd39290c7d32f.jpg
Jonah Addington
Anshelical Anshelical

Jonah nodded. That sounded hard and boring, he definitely wasn't interested in that major. Lanna seemed a lot more studious than she gave herself credit for. "Sounds tough." He couldn't help but agree to that statement, just the sound of it warned him to stay away. Jonah followed her gaze. "Oh-to work for the suits?" He chuckled lightly as he watched the men. He knew those guys all too well. His father was pretty much one of them.

"Alright, sounds good. Tell him we deserve a raise," he joked with a grin. He looked at the next panel before returning his attention to her. When Jonah saw the man heading for him, like a tiger stalking his prey, he sighed and straightened his posture. "What can I do for you?" Jonah asked, curious about what he could want with him.​

A giggle escaped despite Lanna's worried face, "Haha, I will," as she brisked inside.

"Well, I was wondering about this place," the businessman started. "It seems like you all are doing renovations here, yes?" He didn't really want them working on something too soon in case they were going to tear it down. And, besides, for some reason this young man before him seemed familiar. Plus, he didn't seem, to Tate's eye, as a part of a lower socioeconomic standing.

h.jpg
Jonah Addington
Anshelical Anshelical

Jonah nodded. "You're perceptive," Jonah said with a grin. Smug expressions ran in his family, it was in his blood, plus this businessman was looking for trouble. "This place runs better than any well oiled Mercedes, thanks to me." He laughed. "My colleagues too, I mean." He ran his fingers through his hair, leaving paint spots in the his brown locks. "I hope didn't come to me looking for a reason to get rid of this place." He paused for a moment, not skipping a beat. "Just kidding." He cast a glance at the building. "It definitely needed a facelift, but this place is here for the long haul." He eyed the man again. "Was there anything specific you wanted to know?" Jonah could talk all day and he figured he could get under this mans skin.

But not yet, there was no fun in running him off too soon.​

"Hmhm, I just want to hear your story of coming here and choosing this place," Mr. Vennatta said, "Since you feel this place isn't going anywhere. Do you know the owner of the place, are you just looking for a part-time job...? I mean, I hear a lot of students — you know, from this university down here — has been finding some jobs around. Are you a student? I mean, what's your story?"

Entering the building, Lanna took in a deep breath with a scan of the hot, dry room. And upon catching Tod staring out the frosty window, she whisked some of her hair back. It was about time for her to start wearing ponytails again. It was too hot for it being down. "Mr. Hern, we finished the trimming. Want us to move on to the panels now?"

"Mmm..." The owner had heard her speak, but processed what he was seeing outside. Perhaps it was time for him to go outside and confront the elites himself. They may had been behind the decreased flow of business. "... Yeah, yeah. But first, let me go outside and take a look at it." And thus, the two of them poured outside the door, going toward the front wall of wet paint. Tod set his eyes on the businessman, not straying one bit as he walked over.

1836c44592560e06f2e5cccd26f77e07.jpg
Jonah Addington
Anshelical Anshelical

Jonah nodded as the man spoke. It seemed as though he was unsure of himself and the questions he was asking. Jonah felt like he was opting not to ask the question he truly wanted and instead chose pleasantries. "Yeah. The owners, Tod, he's great," Jonah said. "He's really got a great thing going here. People love car washes." He wasn't sure how buttery to make his statements yet, but it couldn't hurt to have a little fun.

"Yep. I'm a student and like all students, we have to earn a living." He smiled, though he didn't necessarily need the money the same way as everyone else. Sure, his parents instilled a great work ethic, making him pay for many aspects, but they footed the bill for his education, which he managed to convince them to handle the books too. It was Jonah's job to take care of the rest, his housing, gas, etc.

Jonah raised a brow at the man. "Sir, I mean no disrespect" Jonah paused and cleared his throat. "But I am familiar with your profession. I know exactly what men like you want from a place like this." Over the man shoulder, Jonah spotted Tod coming toward them and he felt a bit of relief. The last thing he wanted was to say the wrong thing and give these sharks the upper hand. "Here's the boss man now," Jonah said, motioning toward Tod behind him. "He'll be able to answer all your questions."​

Many of the elites still watched the situation unfold, whispering among themselves about Mr. Vennatta's blunt confrontation toward the employee. And, as they stood there, cars drove by them, clean, dirty, whatever, with no care to interrupt the intense gathering.

Lanna, who now followed Tod from behind, fluffed out her baggy shirt, which was now getting wet to all the sweat she accumulated and cold with each fan. She came up beside Jonah, moving her hair back with full attention on the businessman. Tod wondered what Jonah said to the Mr. Vennatta upon arrival, as he could tell the businessman pulled a smirk of admitting detection to the young man. But he felt certain of his loyalty at least. "Hiya," the boss said.

Mr. Vennatta turned around, shifting his smirk to a smile. "Good afternoon, Mr. Hernikins. I'm Tate Vennatta, CEO of Vinesta Corporation. I just came around here wondering what was going on at this place."

"Hmph," the car wash manager eyed the pack of land scourers behind and looked back. "Yeah, I could imagine. Y'all wantin' a car wash or somethin'?"

Lanna, apprehensive of what was about to do down, felt at the sides of her shirt. She learned in her studies that "money talks." And she also learned that "money doesn't grow on trees." Yet, Tod's resilience in this upcoming situation kept her believing he would persist.

maxresdefault.jpg
Jonah Addington
Anshelical Anshelical

Jonah smiled as Tod and Lanna came over. Lanna stepped beside Jonah and he felt confidence flood through him. Jonah was never a fan of sharks, thinking they owned the land and could tear the flesh of anyone they desired. The actual animal was one of his favourites, but the human kind repulsed him. Jonah glanced at Lanna before turning his attention to Tod. "I was just telling him that a place as long standing as this, just needed a fresh coat of paint," Jonah spoke. "We should probably get back to it." His voice was quieter as he looked at Lanna.

He would always support his boss, but this seemed like something between the suit and the boss man. "It might need another coat," Jonah said stepping back before turning to look at the building. He didn't actually think it needed another coat because the first one seemed to cover nicely. "Looks pretty good, eh, Lanna?" He crossed his arms and smiled.​

Lanna nodded to Jonah, wishing to be a witness to the situation in case anything else went forth. Later she would answer him as to why Tod went out, but she questioned if Tod was really out there to check the work they did. And, to that thought, she trusted that Tod could handle the matter on his own, turning to Jonah again. "Yeah."

"Well, sort of," Mr. Vennatta said. "I just wanted to get an idea of what car washing on this busy street was like. Do you all get any customers?"

"Yes, we do get customers all the time," Tod said.

"Mmmhm, okay," he rolled his lips with a nod. He would have to transition the conversation somehow. "So, I assume that the business is good, right? I've never really heard or noticed your place until I drove by this morning."

Probably because the people you hang out with don't need car washes, Tod thought. But, he knew not to say that. "I've been sendin' ads around a lot of places here. I'm pretty surprised you didn't hear of us." And, knowing the direction this conversation was trying to go, he said, "I'm guessin' you're wantin' to buy this place, right?"

POLO-Ralph-Lauren-Fall-Winter-2017-Mens-Campaign-Simon-Nessman.jpg
Jonah Addington

Jonah scooted closer to Lanna. "This guy is trouble," he said quietly before glancing at her. "I've known men like him all my life." He sighed before looking back at the building. "And they always bring trouble. If he leaves today, without getting what he wants." Jonah whistled. "He'll be back." He rubbed the back of his neck, sweat beading on his forehead. Boy did he really want to jump into a pool. Maybe he'd hose himself off before getting back to work. Nah, that was probably a bad idea, what if he dripped into the paint?

Jonah looked at his boss and the shark out of the corner of his eye before raising his voice loud enough for the men behind them to hear. "You know Lanna, we were so slammed yesterday, I'm still sore from washing all those cars," Jonah said, winking at Lanna. This Vennatta bloke smelled of arrogance ad attitude.​

The heat around Lanna's neck, wetting up her hair, had her self-conscious being within. Not only the outside heat was making her hot, but the hotness of her idea of the growing tension around kept her nervous as well. Nevertheless, she let out a titter to Jonah's reaction. "Hehe."

Mr. Vennatta could hear, right beside the confident boss, and sense the discomfort. "I apologize. If you're not considering to sell this place any time, I understand." Some other way would have to be made.

"Yeah wasn't considerin' it any," Tod said. "But if ya want ta have some cars washed at least, ya know where to find me." He could tell the businessman felt he failed his entire goal of coming over. And he hoped it was that way.

"Very well. I hope you have a good day." With no choice, he threw a small wave to the car shop owner and his employees, heading back to his pack.

"Hmhm," Tod scoffed, watching the businessman retreat. And then he turned to Jonah and Lanna. "Well, that was all he wanted I guess."

Jonah sighed, rubbing his forehead with the back of his hand, wicking up the sweat. After the man retreated, Jonah turned around. "So, boss, you sent him running for the hills." He placed his hand in above his brow like a visor. "I hate to say it, but I don't think we've seen the last of him." Businessmen never give up so easily. "Anyway, what do you think?" He asked as he motioned toward their paint job. "I think we deserve a raise." He wiggled his brow with a laugh. "Or just a hose down. Honestly, I'm game for either." It was so hot and the sun only blazed more the longer they stood below it.

Jonah looked at Lanna for a moment before gazing at Tod. It had been a slow morning and he couldn't help but wonder where all the customers were. Just as that thought crossed his mind, a familiar red BMW drove down the street and turned into the parking lot. The car was glimmering, yet stopped for a wash anyway. Although, he knew full well that the person was here for more than just a car wash. "There's out first costumer." He clenched his jaw. That girl drove him nuts. Voice like a hyena's laugh, face like Barbie, and attitude like a viper. She'd hit on him more times than he can count. That woman was relentless. As if it wasn't bad enough that they shared a class together.​

Just as the car drove in, Tod answered Jonah with a "yeah," and rubbed at his sweaty beard. "Well, let's get 'er goin', then." This customer came right on time for Tod to prove that business flowed after all. And all of the elites in the corner, reuniting with Mr. Vennatta who came to them, watched the approaching interaction.

Lanna smiled, happy to see a car in this beating weather, nevertheless of who drove it. She could finally have an excuse to get wet with the water hose to cool down. "Yes, finally."

To this, Tod nodded to the work of the wall with a quick glance. "Yeah, good work, guys. Looks great. When you all finish up with this customer, ya'll can take a little break 'n' get yourselves some lunch 'round here. Ya know the usual." With that he took off, heading back inside to finish up some more calculations.

Jonah looked at Tod and nodded. 'Sure thing, boss." He smiled, lunch sounded fantastic to him and it was one of his favourite times of the day. After Tod started walking off, Jonah saluted before looking at Lanna. "I want to warn you about the owner of that car." Jonah pointed before waving. "She's quite-uh-something," he said. "Not my favourite person, I'd watch out though, her insults sometimes sound like compliments."

Jonah waited as the car drove toward them. The woman wound down her window. "It's perfect weather for a car wash, eh Jonah," she said with a grin on her scarlet lips. Her long red hair was pulled back into a tight bun and the makeup on her face was supposed to appear as though she wasn't wearing any, but it was obvious the amount she had on. Her tank top seemed to be her attempt at 'sporty', but Jonah wasn't fooled. The girl, Erin, turned to look at Lanna.

"You pull of frizzy so well, wow, looks great," she said before giving Jonah a wink.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back