Can you have more than one character in a RP?

sensitiveandsad

I've always been concerned about this, because I've seen roleplays where people act as more than one character (their own character, of course, not someone else's) and I've seen some RPs that don't allow it. I didn't really see it explained here, and I was just wondering if we could create and act as more than one character or not.

It depends completely on the preferences of both the player and, more importantly, the GM themself. Some people don't like to play more than one character at a time - They feel like they can't handle it, or maybe they just don't have the dedication to the RP to do so. Others prefer to, it helps bring a bit more depth to the world and their characters I feel. Of course, either party can do either of these things for a variety of reasons, but those make the most sense to me.

LegoLad659 said:
It depends completely on the preferences of both the player and, more importantly, the GM themself. Some people don't like to play more than one character at a time - They feel like they can't handle it, or maybe they just don't have the dedication to the RP to do so. Others prefer to, it helps bring a bit more depth to the world and their characters I feel. Of course, either party can do either of these things for a variety of reasons, but those make the most sense to me.
Oh, okay. Thanks!

LegoLad659 said:
Pretty much this, yeah. Usually the GM will say something about it, I've seen them let roleplayers have as many characters as they can handle and I've seen them limit it by number, but in general most people probably won't have any problems with it. I imagine that to be the case, anyway.

To also expand on this some GMs have a very limited number of slots they are looking to fill for their roleplay. Often times these are the people that give you a limit to the number of characters you can have.

For 1x1s some people also only want to focus on a specific pairing so they don't want to clutter their roleplay with too many characters.

But as I tell people all the time the best way to know what a specific partner/GM wants is to just ask.

Ask if they would be okay with you playing more than one character and usually they'll be happy to tell you yay or nay.

Last edited by a moderator:
readingraebow said:
To also expand on this some GMs have a very limited number of slots they are looking to fill for their roleplay. Often times these are the people that give you a limit to the number of characters you can have.
For 1x1s some people also only want to focus on a specific pairing so they don't want to clutter their roleplay with two many characters.

But as I tell people all the time the best way to know what a specific partner/GM wants is to just ask.

Ask if they would be okay with you playing more than one character and usually they'll be happy to tell you yay or nay.
That is true. You may be able to submit as many characters as you like, but if there are too many that are really just there to be there, things can get really confusing really quickly.

For me personally, if and when allowed in a role play, I do it. However, I only bring in a second character, if I am truly dedicated to the role play. I like playing different extremes when I do it. This often gives me a chance to interact more with other players, who otherwise our characters may not interact much. This is normally in larger role plays, that have a large number of players.

I feel for me, it takes a perfect storm. While I do enjoy playing more than one character, it is a rare for me to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back