Science California Drought

If you could live anywhere, would you live in California?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It's Complicated

• Total voters

White Masquerade

QuirkyAngel's Red Oni
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey all! Anyone living in Cali or have relatives there? If you haven't heard the news, they now have a water restriction (the city portion/not agriculture).

Is it really that bad? I hear rumors that California might run out of water by the middle of 2016? If that's true, that's terrible. (' :| )

Do you think there will be a point where everyone will have to...move out from California?

I always wondered why people decided to build in California anyway. It's dry naturally. Did they think it would start raining normally all of a sudden, and become wet? What were settlers thinking?

Then come the passerby I meet who say, "If I could live anywhere, I'd live in California." ( -_- ")

Oh, really? Is it really that great in California? Northern Cali I get, since it gets some rain, but overall, the state really isn't in great shape.

I live near Los Angeles along the coast. Yes, we are having a drought, but no, it's not the end of the world.

We have a few restrictions, such as we can only water the yard during certain hours and on certain days of the week, and we are asked to conserve as much as possible, but it isn't too unusual.

Of all the places I have visited, California (especially along the coast) is one of the most beautiful and temperate places to live. I would choose this place over any other.

samuraid said:
I live near Los Angeles along the coast. Yes, we are having a drought, but no, it's not the end of the world.
We have a few restrictions, such as we can only water the yard during certain hours and on certain days of the week, and we are asked to conserve as much as possible, but it isn't too unusual.

Of all the places I have visited, California (especially along the coast) is one of the most beautiful and temperate places to live. I would choose this place over any other.
Okay, wonderful. I'm happy to hear things aren't too bad. If the situation changes, could you let me know? I have a relative in Cali, and am curious to know what they're going through. Thank you again!

KillGill said:
I live partime in California, End of the year I live in Lake Tahoe and start of the year I live in Santa Cruz. Things have been getting bad but not as bad as people are making it up to be. Just about a week ago they placed their first state wide restrictions.
Might wanna check this out: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/california-drought/california-imposes-unprecedented-statewide-water-restrictions-n334096
Thank you for the enormous resource. I found myself lost reading article after article. I hope all stays well for you on your stays in Cali!

I live in California as well, and I can say that almost everybody knows about it but few are making considerable effort to slow it. It's not that people are ignoring it--most people are contributing in small ways--it's just not taken that seriously as an urgent concern.

To be honest, I think the problem is more in agriculture than urban areas. We have a lot of outdated equipment from our water abundance days, and I think urban areas only contribute to 10% of California's total water use. Don't quote me on that though xD

Lexielai said:
I live in California as well, and I can say that almost everybody knows about it but few are making considerable effort to slow it. It's not that people are ignoring it--most people are contributing in small ways--it's just not taken that seriously as an urgent concern.
To be honest, I think the problem is more in agriculture than urban areas. We have a lot of outdated equipment from our water abundance days, and I think urban areas only contribute to 10% of California's total water use. Don't quote me on that though xD
Yeah, I hear if things continue, they're going to get into a big debate over that. You're close, actually. I believe it's 20-25% going to urban-use, while agriculture takes up the rest. Then the restricts get put out on the population rather than crops? Recipe for some angry people.

Yeah. The harder problems arise when some people and business implement a bunch of water saving measures. When the state and municipalities come along and say "hey everyone, you need to cut your consumption by 25%", those who have already done the work are stuck with "hey! We've already done everything we can do long before we had to!", and it turns into a huge mess for the state to try and figure out who has or hasn't been responsible.

KillGill said:
@White Masquerade might wanna check this out: http://imgur.com/gallery/IgoUq

I think they ALS Bucket challenge might have done something to do with this.....
"Wow."

Is all I can say. I understand that history in Cali shows that that is "normal" but....those pictures are really scary! The beams that hold up the bridge?? You kidding me? You can see them all the way down to the bottom! That's crazy! I don't know if people are blowing it up, or it really is serious, but no one really seems to care cause they still have water...but it really does looks dire!

I looked over the comments and wasn't shocked to see people saying "this is what happens when you build a city in the desert." That's a blunt way to put things, yet it's true. What's worse, is global climate patterns seem to be changing and Cali's region looks to be getting even more arid. Sucks for the people thinking it's going to be a drought/just enough/drought cycle. Yikes.

Also, looking to desalinization for meeting their water needs was mentioned too. So much good stuff was brought up Kill! Thank you for sharing!

P.S.: As serious as it is, I snickered over your ALS comment xD . Shame on you and your family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back