• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern C U R S E D

rambler

The Travelling Storyteller

This is a horror-themed roleplay that will involve some potentially offensive/triggering topics. Thus, it is not for the faint of heart. You have been warned.

??????

Only%2BYesterday.gif

Tucked away somewhere deep in the countryside of Japan stands the rural village of Tabayama. Practically cut off from the rest of the nation, few are aware of its very existence, and the handful that are prefer not to bring up the topic in fear of... some sort of repercussion. For, despite it lacking in any sort of renowned sights or important history, Tabayama is famous for one sole thing - being cursed.
????? "Ushi no Toki Mairi" refers to a method of laying a curse upon a target. The practitioner, while dressed in white and crowning themselves with an iron ring set with three lit candles upright, hammers nails into a sacred tree of the Shinto shrine. In the modern-day common conception, the nails are driven through a straw effigy of the victim, impaled upon the tree behind it. The ritual must be repeated seven days running, after which the curse is believed to succeed, causing death to the target, but being witnessed in the act is thought to nullify the spell.

tumblr_nd78ovhr241t4urfuo1_500.gif
It's been this way for centuries - here people always have appeared to be more unhappy, more gloomy, somehow empty. Illness in the village is a common occurrence, though you might just lose your loved ones to some sort of absurd accident instead - from human combustion to impossible car-crashes to madness. Disorders and mental ailments have plagued certain families for who knows how long, and Tabayama has given birth to some of Japan's most notorious criminals, among the lines of who can be found cold-blooded murderers and twisted minds alike. The village is no "killer", however. As a matter of fact, death is a rare event, which is curious taking in consideration the primarily elderly population. Basically, mind-games are a much preferred method to the entities in this area, though many unfortunate people have found their end due to this prolonged psychological torture... they found peace in suicide. Thus, it is no wonder that many of the former inhabitants of this isolated place have made the wise decision to leave it once and for all to protect themselves. Those that remained are either unable to run away, too stubborn for their own good, clueless, or foolish, refusing to acknowledge what is happening around them, choosing to remain skeptical because ghost don't exist, right?
?? "Shiry?" are the souls of the dead, who they have various behavior. According to traditional Japanese folklore, they were considered onry? (vengeful spirits) that possess humans and perform a tatari (a type of curse), but other than haunting and making them suffer, there are also stories where they chase around those who killed them, loiter around the place they died, appear to people they are close to and greet them, and try to kill their loved ones in order to bring them to the other world.

tumblr_mihkkm1fi91qlcw9co1_500.gif
...Throughout the three summer months of each year, supposedly the most wonderful time of all, the haunting seems to worsen, reaching its prime. And the individuals most susceptible to its effects are the youth... In this village, numbering no more than 400 people, there looms an old solitary building - Tabayama High School. Within it there is a certain group of 12 friends set on finding out the reason behind the strange happenings around them, behind the bad luck that plagues their home. One thing has prompted them into conducting this research - last summer one of them died...
?? Onry? (literally "vengeful spirit", sometimes rendered "wrathful spirit") refers to a ghost (y?rei) believed capable of causing harm in the world of the living, harming or killing enemies, or even causing natural disasters to exact vengeance to redress the wrongs it received while alive then takes their spirits from their dying bodies.

The problem is none of them can remember who that was. As a matter of fact, all memories of the last vacation from July to August is as if wiped out, leaving a sole certain fact clear to them all - someone passed away, and now they have come back to haunt them. The group originally consisted of 12 and has remained this way. There is an impostor among it...

Hopefully, I Have Your Attention

If you are getting strong "Another" vibes from this roleplay then good, seeing as it was heavily inspired by this anime alongside "Ghost Hound". As a matter of fact, I am looking to recreate the atmosphere of traditional Japanese horror movies, which is utterly amazing - a slow-paced mystery, with general discomfort brought on by the progressive built of tension and suspense. If you are a fan of this sort of storytelling, then I invite you on-board "C U R S E D".

The roleplayer count is going to be limited, however, with the maximum number of participants being 12, including myself. We can very easily start with fewer individuals in case interest is not sufficient! Reserving a spot for yourself does not function by the method of "first come, first serve", but who has a better fleshed-out character, meaning that I will be judging your personages heavily before actually accepting them.

Now, regarding the actual plot - the roleplay will focus on a group of friends in their teens (ages from 13 to 18), whose families have for some odd reasons each decided to remain in Tabayama. The kids are an inseparable bunch, yet a recent tragedy has left them paranoid and, to top it off, without any coherent memory of the incident - one of their fellows has passed away, yet it would appear that their spirit has come back to haunt the remaining kids. Problem is no one can seem to asses who the impostor is and the friends are faced with another issue - discovering the killer of their close companion, who is also among their closest circle. Basically, one of the characters will be chosen at random to play the role of the ghost, while another character - that of the murderer (who doesn't even remember that they have blood on their hands). This will be decided once all forms are submitted and approved.

Additionally, the story will take some time to uncover the history behind Tabayama's curse and bring to light the dark secrets of each of the teens.

<<I have attempted similar roleplays a couple of times now, yet they all flopped, so hopefully this time around my luck is slightly better~>>

Cool. Cool. Thank you all so much for showing interest~ I am pretty hyped for this idea, so as soon as we get at least one more participant I shall begin working on the official thread.

Haha, I've been looking for a good horror role play, something that will keep me up at night, thinking. Perhaps this is it?

Oh man, this is right up my alley! Especially with all the links it carries with Another. Please count me in!

Definitely will! Hope you guys don't think I have given up on the RP, seeing as some time has passed since the interest check was first posted. I've been quite busy s'all. However, the next 4 days will be a mini vacation for me so I plan to work on having an official thread up soon enough.

HornedGhost said:
Definitely will! Hope you guys don't think I have given up on the RP, seeing as some time has passed since the interest check was first posted. I've been quite busy s'all. However, the next 4 days will be a mini vacation for me so I plan to work on having an official thread up soon enough.
WOOOOOO. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back