• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Brighter Days

B
Created at
Index progress
Complete

The Bright Republic has seen better days. Power still flows and the machines still churn that make the grand technology of the Republic work. However, there are whispers that the nodes are breaking down and the powers that be have not the means to fix them any longer.

Now is a time of change in a land ruled in the name of democracy but clearly by the hands of the corrupt. Corporations, criminals and bureaucracy all squabble for power. Will they have any chance of saving the Bright Republic from an inevitable collapse? Or has that fallen to the Godbound whom have emerged in this land.
Brighter Days

Crocodile

Mister Zero
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
Various figures sat in shadow in the lounge in leather chairs. It was a mixture of men and woman all finely dressed. Some were smoking, others drinking and still more enjoying some finger food from trays carried by scantily clad men and women serving them. The figures here were some of the most powerful people in the Bright Republic. Crime bosses, corporate leaders and Bureau Directors all who formed the true power in the government of the Republic. They all knew this even if the public was kept sedate with the Grand Council whose members were often fought over for influence. It had been a tidy arrangement and the Republic had reigned for over a thousand years, but the cracks were starting to show.

"Have we upped our recruiting with the Special Resources Department?" Demanded a woman in a pinstripe power suit, legs crossed as she held a glass in her left hand.

"We have, but the demands from the Nodes is still on the rise," replied a heavy set man in a cream suit.

"We've also 'allowed' more immigrants into our port districts to meet factory employment needs for parts production," said a overly skinny gentleman in dark blue with a red tie.

"Material needs are going to become the problem. Dulimbai and Patria are both demanding increased payouts now. You know how they get with us sometimes," said a woman in a red dress.

"I suppose we'll have to make possible adjustments. We might have to even consider expansion..." noted a man in a grey and blue uniform. Several of the others there shifted uncomfortably at that, not ready for the Republic to become a conquistador state.

"Proteus reports it may have a solution. They're reaching out to Special Resources now to attract some operatives..."

-----

The godbound find themselves each invited to a meeting at the Special Resources Department office in the capital city of Axis. The great Silver River with all its ports is visible as it flows by. Merchant and military vessels performing a slow ballet on the water as they come an go, avoiding collisions. Factories can be seen further on in the city's South Industrial region. Churning out the material wealth of the Bright Republic or cranking out spare parts for the Etheric Nodes which keep the great nation powered. A television is playing currently, running a commercial for Proteus Industries latest and greatest smartphone.

The room is stocked well with food and drink, lush in design to appeal to the ego of beings with some level of power. The SRD was used to catering to powered individuals, but they also knew how to deal with them as well if they became a threat. This was the carrot to the stick the politely kept behind their backs save for when egos flared.

Last edited:
Audhulma (Joshua) will enter the meeting room and look around. If no one is there he will take a get a drink and take a seat. If someone is in the room awaiting his arrival he will wait until being seated. He had left his sword at his place of residence. He didnt want to be off-putting day 1 and should he need it he can call out to it instantly anyways. Audhulma stood at an impressive 6"5' weighing at a guess 180 pounds. He had his long red hair pulled up into a money and was flipping a coin in the air and grabbing it back out of the air just to repeat the process. Something he did in his free time. Well when he wasnt gambling that is. Although he did manage to get kicked out once before for winning to much.

Apollo seats himself immediately, arms and legs crossed, eyeing the refreshments with a look of distrust. He doubted anyone would tamper with the foodstuffs, but one could never be too sure. And he had not come for the frivolity of a dinner party. Only for business. His eyes slide over the other occupants, taking stock of everyone. He had little interest in making friends here, but powerful allies were few and far between and a very useful asset. Gods willing, it would at least prove to be a profitable venture, even if not an enjoyable one.

Abrax
~Pharaoh of the Dead
Current HP: 11 | Committed Effort: 0/2
Words: Lich-King, Death, Desert

Abrax felt a strong calling, that of his people whom he departed from thousands of years ago when his mortal life came to an end. He felt their terror, their faith, their desperation, their very beings as one by one about a thousand people came to his tomb and called him by many different names, long since having become a god to his people and faith and one by one they vanished along with the rest of the world. It was them, their fervor, their voices that he believed caused the words that clung to him, to find him in the afterlife and bring him back. This night he remembered constantly as he sat attempted to lay down on the bed and stare at the ceiling, attempting to mimic the functions of a mortal, something now lost to him. As an undead being, he did not require sleep, food, or even to breath, this was all still a bit new to him. He slowly sat up and looked around at this....loft that was provided to him by this...Bright Republic and bright it was indeed.

Looking around he took in all the strange new amenities, he had been here a few weeks and he was still not used to it. Tech...cars...people..their outfits, heck even the internet, he was slowly still coming to grip with it, with one sigh he stood up and looked at his attire that clung to his tall strong frame, a Modern Suit they called it. Black in its design with a tie that had a goldish tint to it. Over it he wore a trench coat allowing the sleeves to hang over his shoulders. Gripping his cane, double checking that his weapon was inside his jacket under the trench coat, and staring fondly at his ring on the hand over the cane, he smiled, heading out.

At least he did not feel alone, for in the ring, his Phylactery, a secret he would not sure with many, was the souls of a thousand of his people, those that died on that day, keeping him company on this strange new journey. Being the last of the new special agents to arrive at the meeting, he took everyone in from behind his round specs with gold tinted lenses, and took a seat, his cane inbetween his legs as he rested his hands on it.

Last edited:
Apollo occupied the wait time by taking in every detail of his surroundings, his pale gold eyes glistening like the morning sun as the overhead lights reflected off of them. He found his gaze lingering on the more interesting subjects, the other two who seemed to be here for similar reasons. He drumbs his fingertips against his other arm, the barely visible scales making a light *tink tink* noise like the sound produced when flicking a metal can, only deeper and more muffled. His mind began to wander, back to days long past, when he had spent his free time soaring through the open skies and enjoying the heat of the sun on his back. Soon he would have those days back. He just had to figure out how.

Leaning back in his seat, Apollo places his arms behind his head, sighing heavily.

"How long do you suppose it shall take? This meeting, I mean. I do not wish to seem rude, but I dislike waiting."

Last edited:
Apollo occupied the wait time by taking in every detail of his surroundings, his pale gold eyes glistening like the morning sun as the overhead lights reflected off of them. He found his gaze lingering on the more interesting subjects, the other two who seemed to be here for similar reasons. He drumbs his fingertips against his other arm, the barely visible scales making a light *tink tink* noise like the sound produced when flicking a metal can, only deeper and more muffled. His mind began to wander, back to days long past, when he had spent his free time soaring through the open skies and enjoying the heat of the sun on his back. Soon he would have those days back. He just had to figure out how.

Leaning back in his seat, Apollo places his arms behind his head, sighing heavily.

"How long do you suppose it shall take? This meeting, I mean. I do not wish to seem rude, but I dislike waiting."
"You gotta know when to hold them and when to fold them."

"That... Makes little to no sense in this particular circumstance."

"I am most comfortable when having something to act upon. Waiting for others is... Not a thing I am accustomed to."

The door opens as a bald man of Dulimbai ancestry walks in, dressed well and sporting rose-tinted glasses. He gives the polite smile of a man used to dealing with the egos of empowered beings. He scans the room, seeming to take a head count and assess all who have arrived before nodding and muting the television while it was blaring on about national news calling for an expansion of the Republic Expeditionary Forces.

"Ah, gentlemen, thank you for coming. I apologize for keeping you waiting, but we were waiting to see if any of the other invites would accept. More pity them, but you are all most welcome. I hope our accomodations for you have been acceptable. My name is Mr. Lotus and I will be your Handler at this time with the Special Resources Department. My job is to make you aware of upcoming jobs and the parties involved, including the employer who has contracted you."

He gives another gracious smile. He oozed charm and manners, very much a man trained for this sort of thing and good at it.

"Perhaps we should begin with introductions? Its always best if SRD units members know one another."

full

Apollo straightens in his chair, assuming a more professional demeanor.

"My name is Apollo. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Still flipping a coin in the air *mostly habit at this point* "My name is Audhulma; some call me a swindler, others call me a cheat and it's a pleasure to be here."

Abrax
~Pharaoh of the Dead

Abrax sat in his chair silently, observing everyone from behind his tinted glasses, noting Dulimbai man's ancestry. From where he came, someone like the bald man would be exotic. Slightly adjusting, still having his hands on the cane, he finally spoke. "I am called Abrax and I specialize in dealing with those who are no longer among us" he explained, not revealing himself that he was undead, let alone a mummy.

"I personally specialize in direct combat. As a veteran of countless wars and skirmishes, my talent for taking life and my exceptional physical strength have served me well for many years." Apollo smiles for the first time, quick and sharp. But just enough to give a hint of the row of razor sharp teeth lining the inside of his mouth.

" I know my way around a blade. My talents lie in the talents of discerning if someone is being honest or not."

He stops with the coin after realizing he was still doing it and not wanting to seem unprofessional.

"Ah, and already you're opening up about your talent sets. Just as well. The SRD keeps portfolios on all abilities we are aware of and share them with the teams to prevent... distrust. Beings of ability and power like yourselves can be a little paranoid," Mr. Lotus noted with another of those practiced calm smiles as he pours himself a drink.

"Audhulma, you should be aware your fellow unit members are quite unique in the scale of things. Apollo is a dragon and I believe Abrax is a mummy of sorts. As I said, no point in secrets," Lotus noted with amusement as he takes a sip of his drink. "Audhulma is a human but with some very exceptional talents, including some almost absurd luck."

He looks to the group, making them aware he knew about all of them, taking another sip of his drink with a happy sigh. "I think we're going to have an excellent unit. Personnel isn't always the best at matching personalities, but you haven't tried murdering each other yet which is already a wonderful sign of suitability."

Last edited:
"I see no reason to wish undue harm upon future comrades in arms. They have done me no wrong and I have not been instructed to eliminate them. As long as that is the case, and we remain a unified team, they shall receive my full support in our shared endeavors." Apollo states plainly, with a nonchalant shrug.

"I should also point since it's honesty time most individuals find it difficult to discern my own lies unless it's absolutely improbable."

Abrax
~Pharaoh of the Dead
"Stability and peace are all I ever seek to be honest, I have no reason not to get along with anyone" he noted as he looked around at his soon to be team mates. "Just tell us what you need I suppose and we will get to work.

"Stability and peace huh? Two concepts that become hope in the minds of people. Well most anyways. Those that profit off a world where instability and unrest grow each single day are going to be your primary concern. How do you exactly hope to end chaos essentially."

Abrax
~Pharaoh of the Dead
"One day at a time I suppose, but I must try, regardless of how long it takes" he said with a sigh as he looked over at the one named Audhulma. "What about you, what do you get out of all of this?" he inquired.

"Truthfully I do this because it's a roof over my head, food in my belly, and clothes on my back. I do this to survive. Luck can only take someone so far before it all come crashing down.

"It has been my experience over my many years of life that powerful, resourceful, intelligent, and well connected allies are of far greater use than any amount of luck. I see how you would think otherwise, given your self-declared preternatural luck, but the rest of us must make due with skill and talent and an unbending will. But if this team is to be involved in the sorts of things I fully expect it to, then i welcome every ounce of luck your presence brings, friend. Though our goals and reasons be different, we stride a common path forward. Let us do what is necessary for ourselves and each other, that we may all make it to the other side."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back