• Start a new rp with them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghost: Stop replying and hope it goes away

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Suffer through and hope you become interested again

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Protocol

Have you ever been uninterested in a one x one rp?

Sometimes I find that my style doesn't work with another person. Even when we both share writing samples first, it doesn't seem to always work out.There is more to RP compatibility than just writing style, post length, and frequency.

Maybe your characters don't click, the plot is too slow/fast, or there isn't enough conflict, but sometimes the problem seem deeper than simple writer's block.

I find it hard, especially because everyone on this site is so wonderful, to tell a partner that I'm not interested anymore. I don't want to hurt them, but I also think it doesn't help either of us if I keep writing quick 'blah' responses because I'm not invested in the story.

Have you ever had a similar problem?

Would you rather be told if your partner has lost interest?

What can you do to prevent losing interest?

Have you ever tried to 'fix' a rp? Did it work?

Have you ever suspected your partner was uninterested? How do you ask politely?

Last edited by a moderator:

all the time, roleplays don't always work out due to a variety of reasoNo. Usually it's just time management for me. I bite off more than I can chew and have to drop some roleplays.

Yes. A thousand times yes. I would much rather you just tell it to me straight than string me along or disappear without a trace. However I'm thick skinned. So I'd look at your partner and see how confident they are before you go with blunt honesty as not everyone can handle that without hurt feelings. Most can but its best to get a read of the individual before committing to an action.

What can you do to prevent losing interest

delegate. Don't do all the work yourself or you'll burn out. Keep your partner and yourself  engaged by talking ooc. Not just about the roleplay - reach out and make friends. It does wonders to keep you motivated.

yes, usually my partner and I just reboot or change the roleplay to something we're feeling at the moment. This is where being friends help as you can just drop an idea that's not working and try again without loosing momentum or your partner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep! I bet everyone has

Definitely! Because I'd rather know that they don't wanna play anymore than have them either disappear or suffer through a roleplay that they don't wanna do!

Just talk to your partner. Find out what is and isn't working and fix those, or at least try to. Get excited about it! Bounce ideas off of eachother. Do some cooperative worldbuilding so that you're both invested in the roleplay instead of just playing in their setting  or your setting.

Yes! It's all about communication! Let your partner know that you won't bite their heads off if they say that they don't like something. But also know when to let go, if you want to take the story in two different directions and there's no compromise, then it'll never work and replying to something that you don't want to reply to can be like pulling teeth. Just be open and honest but never mean. Never call someone's idea stupid

Yep. You can really tell when someone's uninterested when they take forever to reply and then give bleh replies or really short ones. You just have to ask! There's no really polite way to ask, you just have to do it without accusing them of blowing you off or being a jerk.

All the time unfortunately. Sometimes real life gets in the way, sometimes me and the other person are just not clicking, or maybe an idea that once sounded fun does not actually work in practice or is no longer what I pictured it would be. I personally don't see any problem with dropping or being dropped, I would rather leave a RP than keep forcing myself (or my partner) to write something that they have no love for. That will only result in lazy and short posts that neither of us will enjoy. 

100% yes, it is just the polite thing to do. That way I can go find another partner rather than waiting for something that will never some. I make it a point to tell all my partners if I want out, and besides one person, they all were very understanding. 

I try to keep up a dialogue out of character. If I feel like we are friends then I am more likely to stick around for the RP or suggest doing something else all together if that specific plot is not working for me.  Talking about future plot points or our characters will also keep me around since I will become excited about the RP and stick around so I can see how that scene unfurl. 

I rarely try to fix RPs, I know that I should however by the time things get bad enough for me to actually complain, it is often past the point of no return.  Plus, a lot of the time the problem is me and my partner wanting different things out of the RP itself which is not something that can be fixed. 

I have and I contacted them about it after a few days, sometimes people are just having a bad day so I would try to give them a bit of time to recover. If even after a few days they still seem disinterested however I would just ask if they are interested still. I try to make a point in that message that if they are not interested I will not be upset... basically I give them an out. There are some people who hate to drop people even if they are not enjoying the RP so I try to offer them the chance to do so with no hard feelings. Throwing in a few apologies or sad faces always help you not come off as a jerk too. 

Totally, it happens all the time with me and my friends. 

Yeah, I'd def rather them tell me than find out later that they aren't having any fun. What's worse is if they were to disappear and leave me hanging. So yeah I'd rather be told than ditched. :3

try to be their friend!! its always so much easier and less awkward if you try to be pals with the person/pPl youre ring with. That way communication is easier and things are more relaxed. Talk about plot or even video games you like. Things like that can draw in interest and some sort of tie to your partner.

I don't think I try to fix rps, mostly we just take a break or look at it together as a whole to see if we are still interested in it. If not, starting a new one could be better than saving a boring rp.

yeah ive suspected uninterested partners all the time through slow or half hearted replies or even having to remind the person more than a once or twice. Just be nice and friendly about it and don't make them feel forced to keep it going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back