BORDERMON [Pokemon/Borderlands x-over]

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Yeah, yeah, you heard that right. I've been sitting on this concept for a while - I love it, it's so ludicrous, taking the kid-friendly Pokemon universe and smashing it together with the crude humor and ultraviolence of Borderlands.

Problem is... well, basically, I've got a rough framework of what I want, but I've been stuck at the details for a while. I'm hoping some fresh insight from you guys will help me get this thread done and rolling.

Story Overview:

70% Pokemon, 30% Borderlands. In the desolate wasteland that is the Orre Region (see the Gamecube games Coliseum and Gale of Darkness), a mining company called Apex Industries that specializes in mining and selling evolution stones has accidentally uncovered an Eridian Vault. A small team of scientists and archeologists was sent to investigate, but they disappeared. Eventually, word of these strange ruins gets out, and opportunistic trainers set out for Orre, wanting to see this vault for themselves. As things tend to happen in the Pokemon world, the rumor is that the vault contains ancient Pokemon that were sealed away - after all, that's what was in the OTHER ancient ruins.

Shortly thereafter, weird glowly purple ore starts showing up. With nothing better to do, Apex Industries starts, well, mining it and collecting it, running tests on it.

Meanwhile, Orre is dealing with its own internal problems - because it's a vast wasteland, very few wild Pokemon can be found there. Almost all Pokemon are imported from other regions. Smuggling and theft of Pokemon is a huge problem, and one of the leading names in criminal organizations here is the Dustfiends, a group of loosely organized and allied theives. They have hubs in Gateon Port and Phenac City, but otherwise are spread out in encampments across the region, acting as a giant network to pass illicit goods along and take part of the profit for themselves. Some of these goods are Pokemon, but many shipments also include technology, fuel, water, food, plain money.... anything that can be carried and paid for, they'll take it where it needs to go. And if you can't pay up, well... it's theirs now, and good luck doing business with them ever again. They're starting to profit off of the influx of trainers visiting the region.

Anyways

So basically, in this RP, trainers take the place of vault hunters, Apex is an expy of Dahl or maybe Atlas, the Dustfiends are obviously bandits. Apex has clearly found eridium and doesn't know what to do with it, but if you've played BL2 then you know that Handsome Jack found lots of creative applications for slag. And if you've played any of the games, then you know that there's always a Vault Guardian - a giant monster to fight. Pokemon are monsters, so there's obviously going to be a bigass Pokemon to fight when the vault gets opened.

But here's some stuff I still need to work out:

• How might slag affect Pokemon?
  • If there are Sirens in this setting, how will their abilities tie in with the Pokemon world? With the plot?
  • This whole RP implies that Pokemon are aliens like the Eridians. In that case, what other plot elements should I be borrowing?
  • How should I handle Pokemon battles, if at all?

Things that I have definitely worked out:

• There's gonna be guns and violence, fo sho.
  • There's gonna be lots of illegal experimentation going on.
  • There is no gym system in Orre, however, I'm using all the locations that already exist (and adding something) so there's totally a battle arena inside a volcano. The volcano may or may not erupt during the course of the RP.

And of course, if you have any questions or see any plotholes, please speak up and say something! I want this to be a fairly solid boat when I go to post my interest check.

Hello to you!

I've never played Borderlands, so I can only answer your question about the battles. Since this is a crossover, even at 70/30, it'd be best to keep the battles natural in free-form. In a pure Pokemon RP, of course you'd certainly want to give extra care/depth to battling, as it is a major part of that universe. Same in a pure Borderlands RP, you'd certainly want to give extra care/depth to (insert) as it is a major part of that universe.

When you crossover, you (hopefully) drop pieces of the full works you cross to make a connected new product. It's a trade-off. Giving up two, whole, separate pieces to have a third with a little bit of each. When you mix the colors white and red, you don't quite have the cleanliness of white, nor the intensity of red, but the pink you get, will be a fine meld of both.

So in my opinion, it would be better if you just focused on the Pokemonsters aspect in this crossover, and didn't delve too deep into anything else from the series. What you're taking from Borderlands should be fine in filling the gaps left by what you drop from Pokemon.

welian said:
This whole RP implies that Pokemon are aliens like the Eridians. In that case, what other plot elements should I be borrowing?
I don't know anything about Borderlands honestly, so a lot of the Borderlands terminology just went over my head. I'll have to look it up later. Reading that line about aliens, though, reminded me of pokemon that came from the moon! Fairy-types could possibly serve a special purpose in your plot.

Thanks for the feedback! Since neither of you have played Borderlands, I suggest you watch these two (VERY SPOILERIFFIC) videos if you are curious:

[media]

[/media]
[media]

[/media]
In short, Borderlands is a first-person shooter focused on guns, loot, violence, and saving the world from alien war machines and evil megacorporations.

White, I think you have the right idea about leaving the Pokemon battles to be freeform.

Last edited by a moderator:
@welian

After watching the video (the 2nd one was excellent!), definitely free form. From the feeling I get (that video helped a lot!), it sounds like the RP will be heavily driven by the atmosphere. You certainly don't want an intricate system to bog that down.

It's a really cool world you want to set Pokemon in. I don't know what you have planned for the story, but I picture it being sort of an "epic". Those adventure stories with charged scenes, big villains, and even bigger twists. Borderlands seems very Halo, Mass Effect, and Castlevania-esque. Am I right? Is a shadier, low-key, more dramatic Pokemon what you're going for?

I've seen RPs where Pokemon gets dark, but it goes tooo far =/. Like a Pikachu getting shot out in the open and bleeding out on the street. ( -_- "). That's..WOW. There hasn't been anything subtle in the way that that same Pikachu instead, be dragged kicking & screaming into an alleyway, with the players hearing a gunshot shortly after. Same result, but the second way is a more mature and not overly horrific presentation.

If you can present the world and its happenings in a similar manner, I think it'd become a nice and refreshing crossover. Please ignore that advice if you plan on keeping the upbeat nature of Pokemon, and making it goofy =P

@KamiKahzy made an excellent suggestion to me - the typical Officer Jennies likely don't have much power in this region, so it would be up to the Pokemon Rangers and the international police (think Looker from Gen 4) to enforce order outside of the cities... I doubt that goes all that well.

welian said:
@KamiKahzy made an excellent suggestion to me - the typical Officer Jennies likely don't have much power in this region, so it would be up to the Pokemon Rangers and the international police (think Looker from Gen 4) to enforce order outside of the cities... I doubt that goes all that well.
Interesting point. If I could link it to a few works, I'd say take a look to the Zombie Apocalypse genre. A show like the Walking Dead, or the movies I AM LEGEND & The Book of Eli, or the Resident Evil games are good ways to look at handling that.

There are "safe zones" that are guarded and orderly by "law enforcement" which has lots of power there. As Kami says, outside these safe zones, the "law enforcement" (Jennies) would have very little power. However, the people you see trying to keep order out in the wilds aren't really a part of any organization. Sure there are small outposts here and there to hold a few official forces, but the "good" people in the wilds are mostly extraordinary citizens or bandits.

So I would assume the people enforcing order outside cities would be the Rockets/Magma/Etc, the Elite 4, Past Pokemon League Champions, or just a big group of trainers roving around that want to help anyone in need they pass.

Here an idea that could be cool, add Halo to the mix. That would be kinda fun rping master chief or an member of ODST fighting the covenant with thier new allies, the pokemon legion.

Unfortunately, I've never played Halo, so that's out of the question. Maybe one day, though.

Pikachu_haves_a_gun.jpg

But this is quite the interesting idea you have here... (Ima have to stop myself now cause if I didn't, I would be going on about sirens for days. ^^)

Oh my Christ, those are my two most favorite games. I no life Borderlands like extra hard every day and I used to no life Pokemon until my ds broke.

My thoughts on your things.

Maybe it makes every move super effective until the effect works off.

• If there are Sirens in this setting, how will their abilities tie in with the Pokemon world? With the plot?

I'm not sure on this one, but remember, there can only be 6 sirens in the universe a any given time.

I'm not really sure on the rest of the other ones either.

I had an idea while reading over this. What if the slag makes pokemon go dark. So dark they mutate and must be healed or they can literally leave their trainers? Or become rabid to the point of attacking anything near it.

As for the Sirens, and throwing out the only six rule, they are among the only ones who can heal slag pokemon. They are more common and each village/city has one to help trainers.

And for the whole alien thing. It could be a new discovery and it has started anti pokemon movements. These radicals are the ones going around slagging pokemon to shift popular opinion and eradicate them from the planet. To add to the darkness of the RP.

Battles could be handled differently than the games. Could say in this alternate universe instead of five pokemon every trainer only has one at a time, to simplify things, but more in storage. Battles could then be handled in first person with the RPers taking direct control instead of issuing commands and reacting.

Just my two cents on that. The idea sounds awesome and it would be cool to see it come to fruition.

So long as there is enthusiasm, there is a story to be had!

Best idea. Would play 10/10

If a pokemon is slagged and its typing would make an attack not very effective, the slag would cause the attack to be normal effective. On a supereffective move, it will become critical. On a normal move it would become super effective.

You can manage the sirens as special people who can commute or do something with their pokemon? Like boost abilities or something?

• This whole RP implies that Pokemon are aliens like the Eridians. In that case, what other plot elements should I be borrowing?

Definitely you should add General Knoxx's DLC, the Underdome and probably Oasis and Toirgue's Campaign of Carnage

• How should I handle Pokemon battles, if at all?

More text style than anything?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to be moving forward on this. :D

welian said:
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to be moving forward on this. :D
Miss welian I am expecting three things:

1. A Bazillion Guns

2. Sarcastic, stayrical jokes about everything

3. This getting started

Users who are viewing this thread

Back