Looking for Book worms! I hope you're here!

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
So, here's the thing. I have been having Graham Masterton's "House of Bones" lying on my shelf for years, wanting to finish it. I remember stopping on Chapter Two for some reason, and not finishing it. Yesterday I had a two hour ride to the hospital, and had some time, so I finished it, and while it is a good book, Jesus-Fucking-Christ, are there any creepy detectives left without a supernatural twist?

Basically, I love a good detective/thriller. The one that's not just about who shot a guy, but kind of what Colleen McCullough writes in her books about Carmine Delmonico (which I heavily recommend, they are masterfully written, and extremely interesting!): about violently raped and dismembered young teen girls spawning mysteriously all over the city, or bodies of absolutely starved, but not beaten men appearing in public places without anyone seen who did this. The kinds that have a big mystery in it, but the solution does not include spirits, vampires or demons, or wish-granting gems and ancient magicians.

So, perhaps, you could point me to them, booklovers? Writers or just novels with a detective storyline, creepy, eerie, or just inhumanely cruel, but with nothing of magic in them? I'd really appreciate it.

I would recommend The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher or the Murder at Road Hill House (yes this is all one title, haha.) by Kate Summerscale. It's a pretty good read, and the storyline has nothing to do with magic or the supernatural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back