• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Multiple Settings Blood They Cry

Talk to The Lame Man

The Lame Man seems to be a fair enough opponent for today, you are certain to beat him in the end, hopefully with a handful of new techniques to perfect. You walk towards him non-chalantly, trying to hide your eagerness to get into a scrap. Waiting a moment until he finishes his exercises and takes a seat in the sand, you seize the opportunity and step into his field of view. "Not bad, old man! You can almost do half as many as I can, it's a good start, I suppose." You are talking bravado out the side of your mouth here, you know that the Lame Man is as fit and strong as you are in every way, despite his handicap. He chuckles and pulls himself to his feet, or foot rather, leaning heavily on his thin wooden cane, saying, "And if I had half of the useless meat on my bones as you have in your thick head, kid, I woulda had more body than Mammoth over there." He smiles and points his cane in the direction of the hulking monk, who is even larger than the mercenary you beheaded in the arena earlier that day.

You chuckle sarcastically, The Lame Man was known for his sharp mind and sharper tongue, old age had certainly brought him wisdom to supplement his misfortunes. "For being older than the dirt you're standing on, you're not in bad shape. What do you say we have ourselves a sparring match, you and me? See if I can't teach you a thing or two today." He nods and shuffle-hops over to a chalk ring scraped out on a stone floor slab, while you run to one of the racks and grab a wooden sparring scythe, little more than a staff with a second, smaller stick secured to the top end. Not quite as elegant as your Nighthawk, but safer for non-lethal duels. You meet The Lame Man in the ring, standing opposite him, and he leans on his cane, a second stick in his other hand in place of his sword. He calls out across the space to you, "The usual rules? First to knock their opponent out of the ring wins." You nod in response, readying your weapon in both hands, and he surprisingly makes the first move. Loping across the fifteen feet that divide you, his speed is impressive, but you are ready for him. For this match, you...

{1} ...decide to take it easy on him, let him get some hits. He is your elder after all and he may show you something cool if you don't beat him to a pulp.

{2} ...go all out, no holds barred. He may be a crippled old man, but he is a worthy opponent. You have to beat him fast and hard to earn his respect.

{3} ...get fancy, showing off your style and technique in the flashiest way possible. If you get his attention, he might give you some more tips.

{4} ...try to dodge all of his attacks, working on your agility and speed. If he doesn't get a single hit in, he may wear himself out.

{-} Write-In

Last edited by a moderator:
{2} ...go all out, no holds barred. He may be a crippled old man, but he is a worthy opponent. You have to beat him fast and hard to earn his respect.

I don't think anyone would like to be taken as an easy opponent in a battlefield or a match. You should respect your opponent

{-} Kind of a mixture of {2} and {4}: I'd like to take a more defensive approach than {2}, while still fighting a normal fight, i.e. counterattacking etc. I think it's quite optimistic to try to win fast against him, plus we might learn more if we try to make it an even fight without underestimating him. Does that make any sense?

Silanon said:
{-} Kind of a mixture of {2} and {4}: I'd like to take a more defensive approach than {2}, while still fighting a normal fight, i.e. counterattacking etc. I think it's quite optimistic to try to win fast against him, plus we might learn more if we try to make it an even fight without underestimating him. Does that make any sense?
I understand. So, more defensive than 2, but not being overly aggressive either.

{3} ...get fancy, showing off your style and technique in the flashiest way possible. If you get his attention, he might give you some more tips

{-} Balanced defense/offense

The Lame Man charges you, alternating steps with his one leg and his cane, and you ready your pretend scythe. He is upon you now, his sword-stick arcing in from your left to stab at your ribs. You parry it with the long staff in your hands, spinning it rapidly in front of you as a whirling shield. The Lame Man's weapon bounces away, sending him nearly off balance. You take this opportunity to close in, going to strike the wooden blade against his open body. But, as you swing your large weapon, he bends his leg and springs up into the air, vaulting backwards over your attack, his body arched over backwards in a flip that would make a professional gymnast jealous. He lands in a one-armed handstand, balancing on his cane beneath him and his body extended straight upwards. You are pretty impressed by this display, you hadn't thought of such a feat before, perhaps this will be your takeaway stunt to try for yourself.

This temporary amazement distracts you from what is coming next, his body swings down with considerable momentum, and before you realize what he has done, you feel the crunch of his wooden sandal planted firmly in your cheek. The blow knocks you off-balance, you transition from an awkward stumble into a roll to regain your feet underneath you. When you have righted yourself, The Lame Man is already back on his foot, perfectly balanced as he points his sword-stick in your face, his cane readied over his shoulder to attack.

{1} Try to hook your scythe around his leg and pull him off balance. He has great acrobatics, but one leg is still only one leg.

{2} Feint attack towards his head, using it as a distraction to get behind him. He has difficulty turning around on a single pivot, you would have an opening.

{3} Rush him and use your weapon's longer reach to force him back to the edge of the ring. If you keep him retreating, you'll win by default.

{4} Swing wildly from all directions. He can't dodge every hit, you'll make contact with at least one of them.

{5} Try to pull off the same trick he just used, flipping around using your weapon as a pole-vault. He might be impressed you're such a quick learner.

{-} Write-In

{2} Feint attack towards his head, using it as a distraction to get behind him. He has difficulty turning around on a single pivot, you would have an opening.

Feint towards his head and maneuver behind him

You reach out with your wooden weapon, aiming to smack his head with the fake blade. He ducks his head under the blow and springs towards you. Or at least where you used to be, you took the opportunity to slide to the side while his vision was obscured by your scythe in his face, his lunge is met by empty air and you are standing off to his rear side, not perfectly behind him, but close enough. You lash out and connect a hit with his back before his leap reaches the ground, throwing him forward and onto his face. He stumbles and falls onto the ground in a heap in front of you, only a foot or two away from the edge of the ring. He starts to get up, pulling an arm behind him to support himself on his cane. If you want to take advantage of his fall, now is the time to do it. You...

{1} ...kick his cane out from under him and hit him again to send him sprawling on the ground. He's tough, he can take it.

{2} ...give him a good shove to push him out of the ring to win the match. You're close enough to taste the win.

{3} ...stand by and wait for him to get himself up again to continue the match. Sportsmanship over victory.

{4} ...move forward to offer him a hand up and make sure he's not seriously injured. You did hit him pretty hard just now.

{3} I don't think we need to help him up, but we can get more out of this practise fight than a cheap win.

{4} ...move forward to offer him a hand up and make sure he's not seriously injured. You did hit him pretty hard just now

Rolling to decide tie:

1: Stand By And Wait

2: Help Him Up

[dice]22636[/dice]

Standing By wins the roll.

Stand By and Wait For Him To Recover

You stretch your arms out on front of you, partly in a mocking gesture, as if your technique had been effortless, another part of you relieving your tense muscles after getting away with that maneuver. Admittedly, it had worked, but you had been sloppy and careless, he could have countered you if he had been paying closer attention. The Lame Man starts to get up, rising to his knee with his back bent forward while you stand waiting, tempted to yawn to further rub in your victory. However, his next movement catches you off guard, he slides back across the ground, hooking his cane around your leg and yanking it from underneath your body. You start to fall, noticing too late that he is already standing up as you go down. He raises his body up onto his sword-stick, balancing on top of it as he has several times before, this time using it to gain momentum as he drops his weight from on top of it to kick you in the ribs, launching you away. This was the last nail in the coffin, the force of his kick has you headed towards the edge of the ring, now passing over it, and before you hit the ground, you are a full three feet past the assigned boundary. You've lost the fight.

He hobbles over towards you, a fiendish glint in his eyes, "Ya shoulda taken me out when you had the chance, kid. Ya blew it, can't be that soft when it comes time for the real deal. If'n we ever fight in the big arena, you better believe that I'll kill ya if I get the chance. Gotta keep that in your head at all times in this life. Kill or be killed. Eat or be eaten. That's th' way ya gotta be." Despite his lectures, his words sound kindly enough, like an old man passing on the wisdom of a past generation so you can carry the torch. That doesn't stop the embarrassment from showing on your face, especially since all of the other fighters in the area stopped what they were doing to watch your bout. Any pride and respect you had earned from winning your battle earlier today just got crushed into the dusty ground with your body. Mammoth is shaking his head and chuckling to himself, Two-Fingers smirks as if she had beaten you personally, and while Paragon doesn't seem to have any response, you can tell he was expecting a different outcome. You'll be the talk of the tavern tonight, and most likely the laughingstock for a week, since the previous rumours claimed even a half-dead pig could beat The Lame Man in a duel, and here you just lost to him out of sheer cockiness. He hand reaches down to help you to your feet and in that moment you...

{1} ignore him and pull yourself to your own feet. He can shove his advice up his ancient keister.

{2} get mad and slap his hand away. He needs to know you don't appreciate him making you look the fool.

{3} hook your scythe around his legs and give him his own medicine. Let him see how he likes being on the other end of 'eat or be eaten'.

{4} begrudgingly take his hand and let him help you up. He did win fairly, even if you were being a sportsman.

{-} Write-in

{4}+{-} Take his hand, let him help us up. No need to make a fool of ourselves by getting angry. Let them talk in the tavern, the Arena will show how good we are - no need for anything else.

Then ask the Lame Man for another fight. He'll either reject and admit he probably wouldn't win another fight (why wouldn't he fight otherwise?), or he accepts and we might learn another thing or two. In both cases, we win.

{4} begrudgingly take his hand and let him help you up. He did win fairly, even if you were being a sportsman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back