• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Block Four

Jaghasta

Arigena of the Qunari
Jaghasta submitted a new role play:

Block Four - Amnesiac prisoners unsure why they're there.

Welcome to Holding Block 4 of the La Santé Prison. Like all the other blocks, it has filthy conditions, inedible food and monotonous routines.

But there are a few little things that set it apart from the other buildings of the Parisian prison.

Firstly, the jailer-prisoner ratio. In all the other buildings, it’s roughly one for every ten prisoners. In Block 4, however, it is almost 1:1.

Secondly, the security. Block 4 is the best guarded building in the entire prison compound, with a small squad of jailers constantly patrolling the area. It is encircled by barbed wire, lasers, alarms, broken glass, semi-automatic weapons and security cameras.

Lastly, the prisoners. The oddest aspect of all. The 20 prisoners living in Block 4 are attractive, kind, moral - you simply can’t imagine them committing crimes. Indeed, they themselves don’t remember committing felony. According to their memory, the most despicable crime they’ve ever done is borrowing their sister’s shirt without permission or eating their friend’s chocolate. They simply don’t know what they did to land themselves in the highest-security block in the prison.

Believe me, they’ve tried to figure it out. Questioning/begging the prison wardens, going into meditation, asking each other for ideas. But after months of asking, they still don’t have a solid answer.

But they have a suspicion. A faint but unshakeable suspicion that refuses to go away.

What if none of them ever committed a crime in the first place?

So now their research has subtly changed tracks. They aren’t investigating themselves anymore, but investigating others. What would be the motive to trap a group of innocent people in a maximum-security prison block.

Bastien is unkillable

Only one of the Garaña twins are killable

Azrael is unkillable

Only one of the Williams twins are killable

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere along the lengthy history of prison, the idea that such a place existed as something less than hellish implanted itself in the common man's mind. Suddenly, prison was seen as a place of reform, albeit for terrible people, but if one was not thrown into the misery of death row, prison was a place to find character and to right wrongs. For the twenty prisoners lined along the cinder block wall of the communal area, this notion had been all but obliterated.

To put it simply, a carton of milk had been misplaced--certainly not stolen!--and a strip search was eminent. Men and women alike.

Aurelio stood against the wall with his fellow prisoners. He stood in line, in between a rather attractive Russian woman with dark hair and a rather nervous looking French boy. Beyond the boy, stood an equally nervous looking young woman, Blaire if he remembered correctly. Looking around, he couldn't help but to notice the almost palpable nervousness in the air. Unless someone decided to admit their guilt, this could get very ugly very fast. "Sooo...Any ideas on what guards will be searching us? Also, who's bright idea was it to take a carton of milk? It's not even good milk, it's total swill..."

Alexis leaned forward to look around the other prisoners at Aurelio. The guy freaked her out a bit, simply because he looked so much like one of the guards. "I just hoped we're not all going to be punished because one idiot thought it would be a good idea to try and sneak around. If they tighten security any further we won't even be able to piss without a guard looking over our shoulder for bad behavior!"

Azrael cut a hard glance to her left, followed by a sharp elbow to unprotected ribs. "Shut up, moron," she hissed. "You begin to sound like stolen milk is yours. Guards hear, you go to solitary."

English not being her primary language, the young Russian often found word placement difficult, especially when other, more pressing matters pulled her attention away from grammar. She feared she would always retain the accent , but the least she could do while locked up was perfect her diction.

--

Roman rounded the corner, leading the small troupe of guards ordered to perform the strip search. Honestly, this all seemed far too excessive. Chances were that nothing had been stolen or even misplaced. The chief was just bored and felt this might liven things up a bit.

Aurelio tried his best not to double over in pain. "Damn, why do you Russians always have to get physical...Madre de Dios, that hurts..." He hissed out in reply. Doing his best to recover, he stood up straight, wincing and holding his side where he was struck.

The French boy next to him whispered, "You brought it on yourself, no?" He let out a nervous chuckle, still terrified of what was to come.

"C-can everyone please just be silent?" A voice more tremble than word emerged from the end of the line. Grace Porter had arrived the night before, and the First Night, as the others called it, had left her a mess of nerves. She had no idea why she was here. She was an upstanding member of the community.... Or so she thought. She was, right? Honestly, Grace had no idea. She remembered nothing before her admittance to Block Four. And a strip search on the first day? Well, she definitely did not belong here.

--

"Sharp elbows to cut dense men," Azrael deadpanned. Standing up a little straighter. It gladdened to know she had exceptionally sharp joints. It came with the slow starvation of prison, but it was still something.

--

Hero watched the antics silently, struggling to retain gleeful giggles as Aurelio struggled to remain standing. This was fun, she decided. Perhaps she should steal milk more often.

"Dense is a little harsh, don't you think? Thick maybe, but dense? You wound me!" Aurelio said with a barely managed wink, before he burst out laughing from his last statement, all the while holding his pained side.

--

Bastien looked in the direction of the new girl. Turning to Blaire, he nodded in Grace's direction. "This cannot be easy for her, yes? Should we talk to her, maybe try and calm her down? After line up, of course..." He blinked nervously, expecting the guards to charge through the door any second.

Alexis eyed Hero warily. The girl was clearly unhinged, and Alexis wasn't exactly sure you wanted to be standing next to her. "What's up? I mean watching kids get hit by angry Russians is the highlight of my day as well, but you seem particularly amused."

--

Blaire looked at Bastien, wide-eyed. "You mean me?" Looking around, Blaire confirmed that she was indeed to one being spoken to. "I mean, sure. I would be terrified if this happened my first day. She probably needs someone to talk to. But, uh, I'm not very good at talking I kind of have a tendency to ramble. Mostly about myself."

And charge they did, the first hint of footsteps silencing the room. "Alright, listen up," Roman commanded, loud enough to be heard, but not enough to be categorised as shouting. He paced back and forth, hands clasped behind his back, very professional. He did not look directly at the inmates as he reinforced them as to why this search was being performed, and the proper procedure.

"... If you do not follow these simple instructions, there will be consequences. Okay? Okay."

Roman stepped back, motioning the other guards forward. The one benefit to being second in command was that he did not have to participate in the search. He only had to oversee it, and that he opted to do with eyes averted. He believed they deserved that much, at least.

--

EFIT:

Hero looked at Alexis, a grin so broad it forced her eyes nearly shut. "Here they come," she sang, pointing past the line and to the door. It pleased her to see the one with the white hair. She felt a strong connection to him, and she could use this opportunity to see if he felt it too.

Demetrio approached Roman, glaring at the prisoners lined up as if before a firing squad all the while. "How thorough are we making the search, sir? I hope there aren't any cavity searches involved." The man practically wretched at the last part. The last thing he wanted to do was get that up close and personal with one of these inmates, even the attractive ones.

Vivian stepped up to Roman's right, standing in the same position and looking at all the prisoners cooly. Demetrio's comment galled her in it's crudeness, but not enough for her to actually acknowledge it. She would wait for Roman to respond before continuing however, mostly because she was unsure how far to take the search herself.

--

This lady is absolutely insane, Alex thought, as she stood up straighter and looked at the guards. Best make this as painless as possible. I know I did nothing wrong.

"Hey," Hero stage whispered, tapping Alex's cheek. "Hey, can you hold something for me? It's really important that you take care of it while I'm gone." She looked on with pleading eyes while her hands fiddled with the object behind her back.

"I really need to pee," she added as an afterthought.

--

"How long have you been here, Demetrio?" Asher yawned, wrapping a friendly arm around the man's neck in a playful choke-hold. "Long enough to do a strip search. You know the drill. Squat and cough. That's it."

Roman inclined his head, indicating that Asher was, indeed correct.

Demetrio sighed. At least he wasn't going to be completely disgusted. He walked over to the line of prisoners, standing in front of them. "Any particular order? Prime suspects first, and so on?" He called out, looking over his shoulder as he stood before two trembling 19 year olds, a Russian woman, and a loud mouth holding his side. He tried his best to avoid looking at the loud mouth, the similarities of their features something he wished to ignore.

Vivian stepped up to the other prisoners, standing in front of Hero and Alexis. "Williams, what are you holding behind your back?" She figured she'd ask before wrenching it out of the girl's hands, but she doubted she'd get the desired response.

Roman rubbed his temples, and waved a dismissive hand at Demetrio. "Just get it done."

He hated this. More than the Marines. More than his sister's death. He just wanted to set them all free. What they were doing was far from humane. These people were not prisoners, they were lab rats, and the knowledge made him sick to his stomach. He did not sign up for this, and now it was impossible for him to leave. Roman was trapped here like the rest of them.

--

Hero bit her lip, swayed from side to side. "I don't have anything," she insisted. And indeed she didn't. The flattened milk carton now resided in the waistband of Alex's pants. She held out both hands and jumped around just to prove it.

"Silly Miss Vivian," she giggled.

--

Grace cowered away from the guard as he approached all sour breath and intimidating stance. "Please, please don't," she blubbered, clutching to the railing behind her as she feared her knees might give out. "I-I have don't nothing wrong--ever. I'm a good person. A moral one. I don't need to be searched. I only just came in last night. Please, sir."

Alternately, Azrael glared up at Demetrio. She hated that man. If he tried to touch her, then god help him. She may end up in solitary, but he would end up in the hospital.

--

Asher took quick note of the others. These few seemed resigned to the search. He knew they wouldn't fight, and it made his job so much easier. He went through the list.

Kseniya, clear.

Cody, clear.

Daniel... Clear, although the kid made it excessively difficult to determine. Disregard all stereotypes in which the guards attempt to cop a feel at the prisoner because that sneaky bastard had just turned the tables.

Daniel caught Asher's gaze and returned with a wink, followed by a few suggestive motions.

Demetrio looked at the four inmates before him. "Alright, you heard the man. Strip, bend over, and cough when I tell you. And you, Soviet, no funny business-that means no kicking, punching, or any of that. And Pierre here, stop looking like I'm about to hit you, it's a search," the guard said with disdain.

Bastien looked down, trying not to puke in fear, and followed the guards orders, meanwhile Aurelio made a big event of his strip show. Pompous ass... Demetrio thought. "Blaire, Ruskie, follow their lead, dammit. And Grace, quit your blubbering before I actually give you something to blubber about. Madre de Dios..."

Blaire fumbled with her clothes, trying not to look at anyone else. She winced when she heard the new girl acting up, but couldn't speak up. Not that she didn't try, she just couldn't bring herself to actually say something.

--

Vivian gave Hero a cool look and gestured towards her clothes. "You heard Demetrio, strip." This was by far Vivian's least favourite part of the job, She had absolutely no desire to watch people degrade themselves.

--

Alexis reached her waistband and froze when she felt the milk carton. That bitch set me up! Mind whirling, the woman tried her hardest to think of a way out of the predicament.

Azrael emitted a low, guttural sound from her throat, but stripped anyway. There would be other days to maim him. Specifically other days when not so many guards were in the same room.

The temptation was too strong. "No kicking or punching, eh? Fine." Fully clothed, she drew near enough to smell the coffee on his breath and spat directly into his eye.

--

Grace obeyed, whimpering the entire time like an injured puppy. "I a-am a good girl," she hiccuped. A weak attempt at self assurance that everything would be okay.

--

Hero stripped, taking her time and folding her clothes in a neat pile.

"Miss Vivian," she said as she squat. "I need to pee."

Then Hero Williams proceeded to piss all over the floor.

Demetrio snarled, almost backhanding the woman as he wiped the spit from his eye. "One more incident like that and it's solitary for you, Ms. Cantemir. Now cough."

After proceeding to check the others, he made note. Blaire was clear, Aurelio, although fidgety, was also clear. The cute French one was also clear. Unfortunately for Demetrio, the Russian bitch who spit in his eye was also clear, but the temptation to frame her was strong. In the end he gave each one the all clear and moved back towards his fellow guards.

Vivian jumped back, scowling before she could school her face back to a neutral expression. "Demetrio, deal with this bitch." She leaned down, inspecting her clothes for piss.

--

Alexis, who had stepped away, used Hero's distraction to toss the carton far to the side. She had enough luck that it skipped into the corner, which was at least a little shadowed. It would be discovered soon enough, but at least she wasn't the one holding it.

Azrael smiled. "You take me to solitary, I take you to hospital."

The animosity between guard and prisoner was almost palpable as she rose to her feet and made a show of redressing. Since day one, Demetrio had been a pain in her side. She did not know what she had done to cause such hatred to be directed toward her, but given his lineage, she had chalked it up to racism. Lots of people hated Russians. They were big, barbaric drunkards. All of them, apparently, which would explain her staggering height of four feet and eleven inches and the fact that she had never tasted a single sip of alcohol. Probably. Her memory could not tell her that.

--

The uproar in reaction to Hero's need to relieve herself seemed amusing. The girl's shoulders shook violently and her laughter echoed louder than the sounds of utter disgust. She reached over and wiped with her shirt, so in the end she remained standing in pants and a bra. Which she didn't see as a problem. It was like wearing a bikini or something. Plus everyone had just see each other naked anyway.

"Miss Vivian, can you send Asher over here? I want to talk to him."

--

"What the fuck?" Daniel screeched, jumping nearly a foot away from Hero. They had yet to be properly introduced, but everyone said she was batshit crazy. Now he believed them. God, that's disgusting.

A flash in the corner of his eye redirected his attention. He watched Alexis' hand retract, then followed the assumed trajectory to see the infamous milk carton skittering across the floor. Seriously? Couldn't she have just put the damned thing back or confessed or something? Spared everyone the trouble of this morning?

Demetrio looked on at the commotion. "Yeah, Vivian, I'm going with the inmate's advice. Asher, you deal with it. I've had enough with dealing with the bodily fluids of prisoners today...Now come on Vivian, get on with your search, the rest of us are finished."

--

Bastien used the distraction as a chance to turn to Azrael. "Are you sure that was wise? You'll never get released if all you do is antagonise the guards like that...And why is it you hate him that much? He can't be as bad as we think... Oui, I'm sure he's a nice person on some level..." The last statement was muttered more to himself than to the Russian, with a slight blush on his face.

Vivian, lip still faintly curled, reluctantly cleared Alexis and Hero, searching through their clothing when they had nothing on them. "I have nothing, Roman."

Roman nodded. "Fine, then everyone is dismissed. Go to breakfast, and for god's sake. Just stay away from the milk. It's expired anyway."

Asher turned to leave, but Roman caught his upper arm before he could beat a hasty retreat. "Aw, c'mon. She's not my problem. Why do I always get stuck cleaning up her messes?"

Roman just gave Asher a hard look, and released him only when the man reluctantly agreed to clean the mess.

Asher stormed across the room, murder etched in the shadows of his face. He grabbed Hero roughly by the collar, raising her to eye level. Her toes barely brushed the floor, yet she didn't fight back. "You owe me," he growled. Hero blinked big eyes up at him as he shoved her back against the wall.

"Sorry, brother. I just really had to--"

"--Stop calling me that, you idiot. We aren't related. We never have been. I don't know how dense you are, but you had better drill that through your head before I do it for you."

--

"He started it," Azrael muttered, sounding identical to a child. And she believed that he had. The first hour of her admittance, the stupid man had stormed in and immediately targeted her journal. Inmates were aloud one to keep themselves relatively sane, if that's what preserved their mentality. He'd take it and ripped it to shreds in front of her on accounts of crude misconduct, declaring war upon the Russian. Well, she was never one to decline an invitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back