• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Blackice (Cross-Rhodes and Hadley McGarden)

Hadley McGarden

Marigolds and Tigerlilies
_____Prince Jackson Overland had always been a heavy sleeper. It was a joke amongst the servants, all of whom he knew by name. Poor Violet, who was sent to wake the prince each morning, always had an amusing story to tell about the attempt, whether the prince had mumbled something odd in his sleep or shoved a pillow in her face. Either way, from her tales, it was a well known fact that Jackson could sleep through just about anything. Maybe that's why, even as people screamed and swords collided out in the rest of the castle, he slept peacefully in his private chambers, curled in a small ball beneath the blankets with his face buried in the pillow. He probably would have slept right through all the commotion if his father, King North, hadn't burst into his room, dressed in soldier's gear and holding the young princess by the hand. He shook his precious son awake, eyes wide and terrified, and Jackson jumped to attention at the look on his father's face.

_____"What's wrong?" he demanded, scrambling out of bed and pulling on a proper tunic and trousers as quickly as he could. They were simple articles of clothing, designed more for peasants, but he'd always preferred them over the uncomfortable and ornate clothing he was expected to wear most of the time.

_____"The Duisternis Kingdom is attacking," North explained frantically, "Came in the night, none of us were prepared; Nightmare Men are everywhere." Duisternis was a greatly feared kingdom, and Jackson immediately knew that this was an extreme emergency. He took the chest plate that was shoved into his hands, quickly put it on, and scooped his obviously terrified little sister, Emma, into his arms. He then allowed himself to be led down the corridor, running as silently as they could.

_____Jackson had known something like this was going to happen at some point. The prince was often underestimated, most likely due to his endearing quirkiness and tendency to come across as a seven year old in a body ten years older than it should be, but in actuality, he was far smarter than many gave him credit for. Whereas North had managed to shield Emma from the reality of the situation pretty well, Jackson knew the truth. Things were bad. They'd been at war for at least a year now, had lost many people and had gone through many battles. When there was the sudden lull in violence and mayhem, Jackson had known that something was horribly wrong, but he didn't act on the gut feeling, going about his business like everything was normal - for Emma's sake. If she knew how scared her beloved brother was, a boy she often bragged to be the bravest person in the world, it would only serve to frighten her. But he supposed there was no hiding the truth now. Jackson was drawn out of his thoughts when their plans for silent escape were butchered when they entered the kitchens, planning to slip out a servant's entrance. However, their path was interrupted by a regal man cloaked in black, who appeared to be waiting for them. North stepped protectively in front of his children, though Jackson's curiosity overruled his common sense and he peeked around North's arms, confused and frightened, even if he wouldn't show it.

_____"I demand you leave my castle at once, Pitchiner," North growled, and Jackson's eyes grew wide, his grip on Emma protectively tightening. The intimidating stranger in front of them was none other than the King of Duisternis, Kozmotis Pitchiner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitch smirked and the soldiers behind him shuffled. They enclosed around North and his family, leaving no path of escape. Pitch grinned. Every second spent was a second of the Nightmare Men taking the castle. He scoffed and crossed his arms. "Leave now?" Pitch pretended to contemplate it. "Yes, you're right." He grasped his chin. "When would be a more convenient time for me to take everything from you?" Pitch asked. "Tomorrow, perhaps?" He tilted his head at North. The mighty king wore the armor of a common solider, a cute disguise, and his last hope of escape had been dashed beautifully at the last moment. Pitch doubted he or his little family knew how he discovered them.

How a handful of their own servants betrayed them for coin and the promise of their lives.

"I hate to be impolite." Pitch said and offered his palms in a shrug. "But, really, who would have the patience for that?" Pitch dragged his gaze away from North to his brats.

The prince. Jackson Overland. Due to his status as prince, Pitch knew his name, as well as the name of every royal on every civilized continent, but hadn't ever seen him. A dark haired boy clutching at his sister. It shouldn't have been of note. Pitch exhaled. The scathing comment on his tongue evaporated before it could be born. He was a striking boy. Something interesting when Pitch expected more of the same dull, dull, dull.

He pressed his knuckles to his mouth. Nightmare Men looted across the hall. As ordered, they were pillaging for the reward as well as to rob North of his home, and all he valued.

"There's nothing like the bonds between family." Pitch said and glanced from North to Jackson holding Emma. An anticipation built up in him. The thrill of discovering something he wanted. "One wonders what lengths a man would go to in order to keep his family safe." He curled his fingers. "Jackson," Pitch said his name with softness, but something truer underlay it.

"Hypothetically, let's say I call off my soldiers," Pitch said. The Nightmare Men stationed in the room didn't react, they were elite and dead inside just like Pitch liked them. "I would want something--someone in return." He stared at Jackson and waited for everyone to understand. "Be my servant, boy." Pitch said. He smirked. "And I'll promise to spare your family."

_____All three of the Overland royals' gazes followed the soldiers that surrounded them, keeping them trapped in a tight ring and giving them no chance to flee. All North had wanted was to get his children to safety, to get them out of the castle in one piece. Was that too much to ask? All he had to do was get them to the edge of the forest, where they could then escape to a hut he knew stood just a few miles past the tree line. It was the home of the Parrs, the family of one of the servant girls, Violet. They were eternally loyal to the benevolent rulers of their kingdom, due to a series of events in their pasts where the kingdom's royals had been particularly helpful and generous. The children could have hidden there until it was safe, and he could have raced back into battle without having to fear for their well being. It had been such a good plan, but it was foiled. The good king glared as his enemy taunted him, paying no mind to the soldiers looting the rest of the room. All he cared about was making sure the ones behind them didn't impale one of his children while his back was turned. He'd lost his wife only two years prior to illness, and he was still suffering from her death. He didn't know what he'd do if he lost his children, too. North visibly tensed as Pitch's gaze shifted to Jack, watching the change of emotion in his eyes as he surveyed his son and deciding that he didn't like the expression the cruel king wore one bit, nudging the young prince a little further behind him.

_____Jackson bristled when he was addressed, as did his father, but did not speak, watching with narrowed eyes as Pitch spoke. The tone of the man's voice immediately brought the image of snakes to his mind, manipulative and sly. It unsettled him, made his skin crawl and his heart beat a little faster with nerves. As an immediate reaction to his own concealed fear, he held Emma tighter to his chest, thin fingers running through her dark hair as he felt her small body shudder with each muffled sob. When he felt threatened, his instinct was to shield her, because if he was in danger, more often than not, she was too, and her needs always came before his own. A well-known fact in the small kingdom was that there was no one in the world more important to Jackson than Emma, his adorable little sister, his ray of sunshine, his precious snowflake. She was the world to him, and he'd do anything for her. (It was quite funny, actually, because upon finding out that his mother was pregnant, Jackson had been angry. He didn't want to share his parents with some whiny baby. But then Emma was born, and from the moment Jackson laid eyes on the fragile infant, he knew that he was going to love her. Emma had him wrapped around her finger before she even opened her eyes.) Once again, all three of the Overlands had the same reaction, this time to the proposition instead of movement. Three pairs of eyes grew wide with shock, and North's hand came to rest on the hilt of his sword.

_____"You're absolutely mad if you think he's going anywhere with -"

_____"Do you promise to call off your soldiers?" Jackson asked, his tone calm despite the way his heart constricted with anxiety, "To leave my kingdom alone?" He could feel Emma's grip on his neck tighten as North looked over his shoulder, blue eyes full of fear and fury. Jackson knew his father was going to do everything he could to stop him, but if going with Pitch was the price he had to pay in order to keep Emma and North safe, he'd do it. They were his family, after all, and although they'd be furious with him for leaving them and putting himself in danger, he'd be furious with himself if he didn't do everything in his power to protect them.

Jackson was all Pitch hoped he'd be. The corners of Pitch's mouth lifted in a smile. It was splendid to look from Jackson's determined eyes to North's furious ones. Pitch nodded his head. "I give my word that no harm shall come to them." He said. Pitch took a step toward him. His Nightmare Men kept their gazes on the family. They had been trained to kill without showing any reaction. Many doubted there were people inside his soldier's armor at all. Pitch's steps were soft, almost nonexistent. "Yes. I'm a man of my word Jack. What does a man have if not his word?" His tone approached caressing. "Surely your father has taught you that much." Pitch glanced at North and smiled.

He found something better to take from the man than property and jewels. His handsome, honorable son. Pitch smirked. He glanced at his royal guard. The shadows that followed his every whim. "It's quite easy to get them to stop. They're not nearly as terrifying as people seem to think." Pitch said. "All that's really needed is..." He snapped his fingers. The sound echoed in the kitchen. "Stop a moment for the prince." Pitch said. He kept his attention on Jackson rather than the resulting commotion.

The Nightmare Men looting nearby dropped their bounty. They froze and stood at attention. The suddenness with which they reacted was somewhat eerie. Thus all the villages that surrendered to Pitch before he ever had to leave his castle.

Pitch slicked his hair backward. "All this in exchange for you leaving with me." He said. Pitch raised his hands to encompass the wide room. "What do you say Jackson, is it a fair deal?" He asked.

_____Jackson watched warily, holding Emma firmly to his chest, as Pitch strolled forward, keeping his gaze trained on the king's eyes despite his own nervousness. Some part of him doubted that an offering of his word really meant all that much to the man fabled for his cruelty, but it was his only option, was it not? Emma was young; they'd celebrated her eighth birthday only a few months prior. She had so much life left in front of her, so much to experience and learn and enjoy. She was so good-hearted, so pure. She didn't deserve to die this young, to grow up in a kingdom at war, and Jackson would do everything in his power to make sure such a fate didn't await her.

_____North glared fiercely as Pitch's gaze turned to him, hand still tightly gripping the hilt of his sword but not daring to draw it, for fear that any sudden movement would spur Pitch into giving his Nightmare Men the cue to attack. By protecting them in that sense, he may just put his children in more danger, so he hesitated, knuckles white. He glanced back at Jackson, doubt crossing his face. He wanted so badly to think that Jackson would see reason, that he'd know that this wasn't a wise idea and that he should let North handle the situation. But he'd been raised well, and had grown up into a loving and noble young man. His loyalty may blind him to the dangers he'd put himself in.

_____Jackson looked around uneasily as the Nightmare Men suddenly ceased all movement, practically able to sense the thrum of Emma's frightened heartbeat, even through the thick metal of his chest plate. He looked back to Pitch, brown eyes narrowed and a frown pulling at his lips. To the child in his arms, it looked horribly wrong. Jackson had a happy face and smiling eyes - a scowl just didn't seem to fit. Finally, Jackson let out a small breath, seeming to have come to a decision, and nodded silently. Emma's eyes grew wide, clinging desperately to her big brother's neck as he moved towards their father, an expression of determination on his features.

_____"Jack -" she began, choked up and not sure what she wanted to say, but the adoring smile he offered her saved her from having to say anything more.

_____"It'll be alright, snowflake, don't worry," he assured her softly, tilting his head as looked down at the most important person in his whole world, "I'll be back before you know it." He pressed a kiss to her head and hugged his father, leaving Emma in the numb man's arms as he pulled away. This not only left Emma in safe hands, both figuratively and literally, but it prevented the man from being able to grab onto him in a desperate last attempt to stop him from leaving, to stop him from endangering himself for their sake.

_____"You can't be serious! Jack, come back here this instant!" North hissed, holding Emma tightly and stepping forward, "You're being ridiculous, we can find another way! Jackson, are you listening to me?" The brunette glanced back, love and the stubbornness he was famed for glinting in his eyes. He wanted so badly to race back into his father's arms, to be protected, but that simply wasn't an option. He sincerely hoped that last look communicated all he wanted to say, because it only lingered a moment before he turned to face Pitch once more, walking forward so there was only about a foot and a half between him and the ring of soldiers that surrounded them.

_____"I'm ready."

"Good to have you join us." Pitch said and smiled. "I knew you were the reasonable one." He reached for Jackson, to lay claim to his shoulder blade. His fingers folded gently on his arm. Pitch smiled over his shoulder at North, but it was more of a sneer. "I can already tell, we'll get along quite well." Pitch said. His soldiers stood aside for Pitch and Jackson to pass. The commander of the guard returned some time in the last several seconds. Pitch ordered him not to come back until the castle was secure.

Once Pitch stepped away from North and the princess, the Nightmare Men closed the gap where he stood.

It was far too early to let them out of his sights.

"I'll be imposing on your hospitality a little while longer." Pitch said. Several Nightmare Men followed him into the hallway. They stayed a length back, enough to protect him without the bother of their presence. Pitch glanced at Jackson. He wanted to keep the prince near him. That way Pitch could control what information reached him and what didn't. Jackson agreed to be his servant, had made an absolute sacrifice for his family, but Pitch wouldn't let him in on his plans anytime soon.

"Jackson," Pitch said and paused in his stride. "It's unfortunate that I have to rely on you so soon. But you see, I need help finding something." The hallway of the castle was long and wide, but considerably more brightly colored than Pitch's. If North spent more on his military and less on his walls, he might have fared better against Pitch's army. "Perhaps you could provide some insight?"

"We're looking for books and maps." Pitch continued, purposefully vague. North's territory was a blip on the map compared to what he was really after. "You see, the sooner, my men find what they're looking for, the sooner we'll continue on elsewhere. And let North and your sister get on with living their lives."

_____"Get your filthy paws off of him!" North snarled as Pitch's fingers wrapped around Jackson's arm, guiding him out of the ring of soldiers, but there was nothing he could do to stop them. That was the worst feeling in the world, the same way he'd felt when his wife was dying: the feeling of knowing that something awful was happening to someone you love, and there was absolutely nothing you could do to stop it. All he could do was hold Emma tight to his chest, both drawing comfort and offering it, as his son was led out of the room and into the hallway, away from safety and security and into uncertainty and danger.

_____Jackson managed to keep a cool expression, despite the way his heart pounded in his chest. His expression was unreadable, his brown eyes lacking their usual warmth. He paused when Pitch stopped walking, raising a suspicious eyebrow at the request. He was tempted to ask what sort of maps Pitch wanted, to point out that he hadn't given him enough information, but he decided against it, having a feeling he wouldn't get a proper answer.

_____"Follow me," he said after a moment of silence, leading the way down a few hallways and into a large and quite extensive library. He walked over to one of the many shelves, drawing over the rolling ladder they had attached so it rolled up and down the shelf with ease. He climbed up to the almost very top, extracting parchments and books and tucking them under his arm.

_____"Needle and thread, needle and thread, needle and thread -"

Jackson looked towards the voice, quickly recognizing the servant girl who had just darted into the library, raven hair falling out of the bun she'd hastily tied it back in and amethyst eyes wide, wearing a chest plate much too big for her. (If Jackson had to guess, he'd assume that Aster, one of the knights, had given it to her to wear, considering he'd always fancied her.) Judging by what she'd been uttering when she entered, Jackson reasoned that she was heading for the utility cabinet in the back of the library. However, the servant froze at the sight that awaited her, gaping as she pointed at Pitch, her gaze locked on Jack.

_____"That's -" she began in a shocked tone, but Jackson already knew what she was going to say.

_____"I know who it is. Where is that blasted book?" he muttered, scanning the titles in front of him.

_____"Why are you with -" "Because I am. Violet, I need that big geography book. The one with the pictures Em likes." Violet still didn't seem to be able to register what she was seeing, pointing out the window.

_____"There's a battle going on," she stated numbly, and Jack rolled his eyes, looking down at her.

_____"I know, Vi. The book, please?" Violet stared at him for a moment longer before shaking her head and seeming to come out of her trance.

_____"Right, uh -" She stammered, bolting to a different section of the library and returning with a large book in her hands. Jackson climbed down the ladder and took it from her, noticing how her grip on it lingered a second longer than it should have as she gazed at him, confusion and fear written across her face.

_____"Needle and thread?" Jackson reminded, and she blinked a few times before her eyes grew wide.

_____"Needle and thread!" she gasped, racing off towards the back of the library. Jackson then turned back to Pitch, eyes narrowed as he held out the collection of books and maps.

His soldiers set their sights on the girl while she and Jackson spoke. As far as Pitch knew, North's men hadn't miraculously defeated his, and his orders to capture everyone were still in effect. Of all people in the castle, the one who avoided the fighting was a young, defenseless girl. Pitch titled his head and watched their interaction. Wordlessly, he signaled his men to let Jackson handle the girl. It seemed like she responded to him. Pitch had been right about Jackson. There was something about him that people relented to, and the geography book appeared without anyone having to issue any nasty threats. Pitch imagined that was what Jackson wanted.

Pitch grinned at the collection of books and maps. He lifted it from Jackson and began to pace along the library floor. "Thank you, Jackson. You don't know how much this means." He said. Pitch leafed through the pages. There was more than he imagined. A treasure trove, more useful than North's other superficial belongings. Pitch flickered through the pages until he spotted a much more comprehensive map of the continent than any of the outdated books in his library. "To think North had these all this time and he never did anything with them." Pitch scoffed. He sealed the book shut.

Pitch turned toward Jackson. He passed along the set of books and maps to a guardsmen. "My men need not go after the girl." He said. Still, Pitch obviously needed to have words with his subordinates for overlooking Violet in the first place.

It was sloppy. Next time, the one overlooked could be a prince or a princess.

"Your help here was appreciated." Pitch said. "I wonder, are you still prepared to go through with our deal?" He spoke in a soothing tone. "My business here is concluded. There are other matters to deal with." Pitch was vague again with his would-be-servant. He smirked, but it was brief. Once again, Pitch was reminded of how interesting Jackson was. To bargain himself for his family.

"Shall we then?" Pitch gestured to the door. The sounds of battle were growing fainter outside the window. "Someone needs to let North's soldiers know they've lost."

_____Jackson stood stiffly as Pitch inspected the book on top of the stack, flipping through it and grinning to himself. Having read through it multiple times with Emma, educating her on what may eventually be her kingdom as well as the kingdoms that surrounded them, he knew almost every map by heart. While he had a vague idea of the sort of things Pitch could do with access to such materials, he tried not to give it much thought. He didn't want to imagine what sort of dastardly things the cruel king had in mind, so he didn't. Just as he kept his face devoid of emotion, he kept his mind devoid of thought, observing the ruler of Duisternis with a blank gaze despite how his heart thrummed in his chest, skipping a beat every time someone outside the palace walls screamed. Was that a friend or a foe being slain? The tortured cry of someone he cared about or someone he'd never met? He had no way of knowing, and that made it all the more frightening.
_____At the mention of Violet, Jack's shoulders tensed, but he didn't speak, didn't acknowledge the threat that could have been. While Jackson cared about all of his servants dearly, Violet was one that he was especially close to. Despite being only a few years his senior, he felt that it was fair to say Violet had more maternal instinct than every woman in the village combined. He wasn't sure what sort of magic she was gifted with, but she always seemed to know when he was having a nightmare, and would walk up the several flights of stairs from the servant's quarters and to his bedroom. She entered it without knocking, something that would be considered incredibly scandalous in most kingdoms but was commonplace in the kingdom of Zima, and would come to sit on the edge of his bed. She'd smooth back his hair from his face and coo softly to comfort him, and if he awoke, she'd tell him stories about her family to help comfort him and lull him back to sleep. If he slept on, she'd just sit beside him, combing her fingers through the mess of dark hair atop his head until the whimpers faded.
_____At the question regarding Jackson's willingness to continue with the deal, he took a deep breath and nodded, clenching and unclenching his fists as he followed Pitch out of the library and down a long hallway. Though fainter than they were in the beginning, likely due to the Nightmare Men gaining the upper hand, the sounds of battle still made Jack flinch, washing over him like a tidal wave as they stepped out into the courtyard. Aster, captain of the royal guard and once personal guard of Jackson, before being promoted, happened to be fighting nearby, and upon spotting the young prince that he viewed as an (occasionally obnoxious) younger brother, felt his already pounding heart pick up pace. 
_____"Jack!" he shouted in alarm, and when the deep brown eyes of the prince met his own ones of emerald, only he could see through the layer of indifference, only he could see the fear that Jackson hid. Driving his sword up under his opponent's armor and through his stomach - Jack cringed - he shoved the Nightmare Man away and raced over, sword drawn. However, Jackson raised a simple hand and he paused, panting heavily and glaring daggers at the Pitch before looking down to the prince.
_____"Tell the soldiers to retreat," Jack ordered in as calm a tone as he could manage, "Take the injured in to the throne room and tend to them there; that's where you can find dad and Emma, and I guarantee they'll need you." Aster gestured with his sword at Pitch, but Jackson nodded before he could speak. "I am well aware of the company I am keeping, thank you," he said coolly, a touch of impatience tinging on his tone as he wrapped his arms around himself.
_____"Jack, whatever you are thinkin' of doin', I highly suggest you reconsider it," Aster hissed in a low voice, gaze repeatedly flickering to the malicious king who was standing, in his opinion, much too close to who was essentially his brother, "I don't know what you 'ave in mind, but I already don't like it. I've got a bad feelin' in my gut that you're doin' something stupid and you're goin' to get yourself hurt -"
_____"The good of the many outweigh the good of the one," Jackson responded curtly, gaze flickering to the continuing battle going on behind Aster's back. Though they were clearly losing, his father's shoulders were still fighting furiously, as he'd known they would. Their loyalty to their benevolent king and his good-natured children was unrivaled, earned through kindness and patience. Even if the circumstances were as hopeless as they could possibly be, they would continue to fight for their rulers. "Now, please, call them back," Jack commanded a touch more firmly. Aster eyed him for a moment longer before reluctantly backing away and obeying the order. Jackson watched, digging his nails into his arms, as his army trickled back away from the battlefield and into the palace, leaving the Nightmare Men scattered across the courtyard, standing stationary as they awaited orders, expressions lacking remorse or sorrow, blank as if they hadn't just slaughtered countless innocents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back