• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Black Rains [Closed]

Richter seemed amused, "I would rather fight a dragon, an enemy I can see clearly, than the White Walkers. And I doubt the Queen will grace us with her royal presence..." he responded in a sarcastic tone.

"As for the weapons, they should be arriving a few hours from now, possibly shortly after dawn." Jaime stated, remembering that it was morning. "As for prisoners..." Jaime continued but was cut off by Richter. "I am not going to risk the lives of my men even further and capture one of these... these demons alive. I fear if we waste our time on trying to capture one we'll lose even more men." A stern, angered look appeared on the Commander's face.

Jaime sighed, "Richter, we might gain some sort of information, some small detail that will enable us to save men's lives and kill more of the white ones. All that I am asking if that the situation presented itself, you take one in. Don't bother going out of your tying up every single on you see. Take it as a request from your friend, not an order," he knew that Richter cared greatly for his men. He feared that could cause problems on the field.

The sarcasm was appreciated. Alysanne wasn’t sure which she’d prefer—dragons or Others. If the horn worked, assuming it hadn’t been lost, she’d likely prefer the dragons since, well, she wouldn’t be fighting them. The Silver Queen would have to deal with them.

The weapons would arrive that day. “Good. I can get them to my men as soon as the others wake.” The thought of her own sleep didn’t cross her mind. She’d have time to rest safely on her boat, which had become as much a home to her as the Fair Isles themselves. They weren’t Castamere, but they were enough for a homeless heart.

The matter of the prisoner was problematic. “Don’t risk your men, then, Rich—Commander,” she was not at the point of familiarity with anyone in this room. “Just let them be aware it may happen, and it will be mine that take the risk.” Risks had to be taken in any war for information that could save thousands. “If it is pointless, it won’t be done. I won’t bring something too dangerous back here.”

She might not bring it here, period. She might take her boat out far to sea and interrogate it far from others, just to be doubly sure.

"Very well then..." The Commander responded, taking a few more glances at the map and pieces. Ever since Whispering Wood, he made a vow to ensure the survival of as many men he could possibly fathom. In meant more work and fighting on his part, but it was worth it to see these men living to fight another day, then the day after that and so on.

"I believe all issues have been taken care of now then..." Jaime stated, taking a few steps away and crossing his arms. "...unless you have other questions or concerns regarding this operation, Captain..." He asked her in a polite enough tone that didn't sound too friendly but at the same time not too brash. It was clear that both Richter and Jaime were tired.

The last few days had taken a serious toll on them, not physically but mentally. Sending men out to their possible deaths was only part of it. It was trying to understand this new enemy, to think like them, that was wearing them out. They couldn't figure out what the White Walkers are planning, and that was leaving them on edge.

The decisions were made. Alysanne would attempt to subdue one of the Others, while contributing to the force sent against them. The plan seemed stable enough. Alysanne felt confident enough to have no further questions.

They both looked rather tired. Alysanne had the benefit of being fresh to this part of the long war. She was not weary in the slightest. If anything, she found she had vigor to continue, knowing she was getting much closer to a personal goal. This war was more an excuse to avenge the Reynes, than to save the realm.

She would save the realm, though. She lived in it too, after all.

“You are correct Ser Lannister,” Alysanne said, “If either of you need me, I will be getting acquainted with Castle Black.” She inclined her head politely to both, and would take her leave if there was no protest.

"Very well then, Commander Lionheart..." Jaime proclaimed, walking towards the door but stopping right before it. "Would you be so kind as to show the Captain around? I know you love your fair share of strolls through the castle halls." He stated, chuckling softly and exiting through the door. Richter didn't know it, but Jaime wanted to keep a close eye on her. Something seemed off about her, but he couldn't place his finger on it. Knowing how much Richter loved to talk, he would definitely find out for him.

However, Richter took it as a polite request to show a guest around the castle, answering any questions she might have. 'That sounded like an order!" Richter exclaimed sarcastically, laughing as Jaime disappeared from view. He smiled and then turned to Captain Farman. "Well then, anywhere you want to go specifically?" He asked politely, walking up next to her. "Or would you prefer to wander about, take in the sights?" Long walks always seemed to lift up the Commander's spirit, so whenever the chance presented itself he would take it.

Before Alysanne was allowed to leave, Jaime called to Lionheart to give him the direction to lead her around. She paused, not leaving, and glanced back to the Commander with a bit of amusement as he took the order. “You do not have to, if you do not feel up to,” she said. She didn’t want the man to feel obligated if he was truly tired.

He asked where she wanted to go. Of course, she couldn’t say the truth. She could not say her intentions had been to learn more about Tywin’s movements, and to set her friend Arion to tracking him. Arion was an amusing sort of fellow, a former slave of Volantis who bore the tiger stripes across his face.

The tiger and the lion got on well. “I had no place in particular in mind. I’ve never been up this far north before, so I wouldn’t know where to begin. I just wanted to get a feel for the geography,” she offered the commander a half-truth in place of a complete lie.

~***~

Dear Willys Grant,

May this letter find you before you set out from Eastmarch. The plans have changed, and I would ask you to keep our forces at the ships. The Gold Lion has decided to listen to the Golden Cub in regards to a strategy. A small force is going to move on land beyond the wall. We are going to follow by sea. They intend to trap the Others. We are to be reinforcements to this trap, unexpected.

As such, we are not needed here at Castle Black right now.

Stay and prepare for departure again. There will be dragon glass for most.

If you can get wildfire from the Gold Lion’s brother, do so. Or else plenty of oil.

We’ll make it rain.

Sincerely,

Aly Farman

Willys sat atop the black steed that he was intending to take to Castle Black, holding the letter in one hand. He couldn’t help but chuckle at the little line. Of all the men and women here, Willys was one of the few who understood those words. In fact, he imagined he was one of two, the other being from the Free Cities. “Let it rain indeed,” he muttered to himself.

He was surprised this wasn’t a letter about Alysanne’s execution, considering she’d met her Gold Lion.

He dismounted, shouted, “Oi! Swendel, new plans,” he passed the paper under a nearby torch and let it burn before the other, younger golden lion could see it.

"Oh don't worry Captain I'm quite all right." Richter responded as he stood straight, placing his right fist over his chest and announcing, "I'm sure you've heard, I may have a body of a man... but my heart is that of a lion's!" This is how the Commander always started a battle. It would always fire up the blood of the troops. Only this time, he had a joking tone and wished to reassure the captain that he was quite alright.

"We could head to the top, from there you'll get a good view of the surrounding land. I am positive that you'll achieve your 'feel of the geography' there." Richter continued, opening the door for the Captain. This was a side of the Commander only his men got to see. Whenever surrounded by the other lords and commanders, he maintained a stern and serious look so that they could confide with him. With his men, however, Richter always wanted to demonstrate that he is one of them, and will fight alongside them until the day he dies.

It took quite a bit of her resolve not to laugh on the spot at his declaration. Alysanne had gathered by his name that there was more to his Lannister connection. It was her own arrogance, her own ego, that denied him such a heart. He hadn’t proven it to her, and she, Leora Reyne, knew what it meant to have a heart of a lion.

The Lannisters might simply be indulging the mercenary.

‘I’ll know soon enough.’ “How long till Tywin adopts you so he actually gets heirs?” A wry smirk came to her lips. Cersei’s children couldn’t count—no matter the rumors—as their surname would always be Baratheon. “Ah, I suppose that’s not in good tastes, my apologies,” she gave a chuckle and then motioned, “Go on then, Commander. Lead the way to the top. I’ve always heard it is quite a sight.”

Richter coughed in surprise as he led the way. "Adopt?! I doubt I'm cut out for that. And please, no need to apologize, things slip out of people's mouth all the time. For instance, right before you came back, I told Jaime that you were quite the beautiful woman!" He laughed as they arrived at a long spiral staircase. Richter wasn't known for being shy, if he had something on his mind he would say it. However, women were a different matter, different battle.

As a matter of fact, Richter never thought about settling down with a woman, raising kids on a nice farm. The thought seemed nice, but he had more pressing matters to attend to.

"After you Captain, but please mind your step. This stairwell is not sturdy, but the risk is worth it to witness the best view in this world!" He chuckled again, following after her up the steps.

Alysanne knew forward men. They were usually drunk, or else men she’d have no qualms tripping. To hear the words from a supposedly respected individual, sober at that, caused surprise to enter her green eyes. Red touched her cheeks as her expression shifted to confusion, and then settled on a smile, “Thank you,” she could take a compliment when she thought it sincere. Was Jaime then playing wing man? Seemed rather courteous of the Kingslayer.

She could turn a compliment back to him, but Alysanne was never good at that—compliments that followed compliments often seemed insincere, drawn of necessity to return the favor, and her tongue couldn’t find the words before he was motioning her up the stairs ahead of him. The moment had passed too quick, squandered.

‘Ah, it hardly matters.’ Richter might not think it, but no doubt he’d be set up with a pretty and young noble woman for all of his services, and be granted nobility.

The thought crossed her mind of the view he’d have, following behind, but she kept her tongue in check. One hand reached for the railing and then just hovered over it as she walked up the stairs. “You can call me Alysanne if you like, Commander,” she offered, “I’m not so used to being called Captain.” Lady Farman was more common, though she spent most of her time with those of the Fair Isles. “Tell me, on this trek up, why you are known as the lion-hearted one?” She glanced over her shoulder briefly, then turned her attention back ahead.

The stairs weren’t as steady as they could have been.

Richter made sure to take steady steps, so that the chance of him falling off was slim. "It was at Whispering Wood, when me and my men were retreating a squad ambushed us. They stopped, but I did not. I let out a tremendous roar and tore them to shreds with all my power. My men followed, that enemy squad did not stand a chance. Apparently Jaime himself heard it as his fight raged on. Later on my men began to tell the tale, and eventually Lord Tywin himself bestowed the title of Lionheart. My real name is Richter Leon Baptiste, but my men tell me Lionheart sounds better."

He told this tale with a somber tone, wishing he had done more in that battle. They eventually arrived at the top. When the door swung open, the first thing Richter saw was The Wall. It was an enormous construction, he always forgot the immense size of it.

It did not surprise Alysanne that the name was earned in battle. What other place would such a name be earned in? The mercenary was the topic of conversation and fame.

‘In a coat of red, or a coat of gold….’

The words came to haunt her.

‘A lion still has claws.’

Would it be wise to warn him that lions did not like competition? It sounded more and more like Tywin would put this man on Castamere. A lion there would be the perfect revenge on the Reynes. A true replacement. A way to erase their memory, entirely.

Her like of Richter’s personality found itself at war with her hatred of Tywin, and she crossed her arms over her chest once they stepped outside and came before the wall. “Leon Baptiste,” she repeated to herself. “Leon means lion, though I’m sure you knew that.” Apparently, she had almost been named Leona. Leora had been a decision made last minute, but it, too, held the meaning. “Seems you were cut out to be here, amongst lions.”

She walked out, “On top of the world,” the Wall was that, wasn’t it. She spun on her heel to face him, letting a teasing grin come to her lips to rid herself of all other thoughts. “Don’t worry, Lionheart, I’ll keep up with you and Jaime. I might be a cat of a different coat,” it didn’t even occur to her that she’d said it, “but I know how to keep up lots of beasts. Even those as big as you are.”

She spun right back around and continued walking, “Did you ever imagine you’d see this, when you were younger?” She shifted the topic easily, added, “I didn’t.”

Richter crossed his arms as his eyes followed her movements, smiling at her comments. "I never doubted you for a second Alysanne. You have the eyes of a warrior and the voice of a true leader. That is something I deeply admire when I see it, since few have both traits. It's always either the battle-hardened warrior or the charismatic commander." He responded, taking a few steps back towards the wall next to the door.

He then slowly slid down the wall, sitting down. "When I was younger, I thought I would die. When I slept at the end of one day, I thought that the next would surely kill me. Yet they didn't, those days may have beaten and scarred me, they didn't kill me. This thought never crossed my mind. Becoming a soldier, earning the trust of so many, it would have been stupid to think about something like this back in those days." There was a sad tone in his voice as he spoke, staring down into his palms.

"I'm sorry I got carried away...", Richter stood back up and looked at Alysanne, "No matter how hard I try, I'll never forget those days. I wish they would disappear along with the white demons."

Richter Leon Baptiste, as she was preferring to think of him, spoke openly. Alysanne found herself envying it. He did not hide childhood trauma nor compliments, but spoke his heart. Alysanne did not think she’d ever done it.

“Really now?” She stared out over the world, “You wish everything that made you would be forgotten?” She clicked her tongue on the roof of her mouth. “Then you would be different, and not so honest, and I would not like you half as much. Honesty is rare, Lionheart.” Her attention shifted from the expanse of land before her, to where the commander was sitting, “Never apologize for it. Only for lies. Your honesty has made it so you have the trust of your men, and made you into a man worthy of Lord Lannister’s favor.”

Her steps led her back to where Richter now stood, and she joined him there, reaching out to put a hand on his shoulder. “You may hate the days that made you, but they are gone. That is the important part. They are gone, dust to the wind, but they are good memories, for they will keep you the man that you are.”

Hopelessly loyal. It was a shame to her, that men of good quality followed under Tywin just like men of bad quality. Not that she could blame them. He was a good leader. He was just excessive—a genocide was never necessary.

"Dust to the wind you say..." Richter responded as his head shifted up, his eyes focusing on the sky above him. "... and keep me the man I am..." His gaze then shifted to Alysanne. "Thank you... it truly is foolish to deny my past, but I can't help but do it anyways. Maybe it's because of my parents, my family. I wonder what they would think of me now, would they be proud?" He asked both himself and her.

His eyes then shifted up once again. "I will never know, and I will never know of the life I could have once have. But in the end, it doesn't really matter does it. All of these things make me who I am today, and I have to be proud of it, damn proud for the sake of my men." Richter lifted up his right hand in front of his face, then clenched it into a fist.

"Not for the House Lannister, not for Tywin, not for Jaime, but for my men. They may have treated us with respect, but in reality it was our fierce fighting together that brought us here. That is what it means to be a mercenary. To fight with all your might, fight to ensure a better tomorrow, fight to survive. It doesn't matter who it is for, all that matters is the fight, combat, strife. That is the true call of the mercenary." A small smile developed as the mercenary stared into his heart, his soul, and remembered his purpose.

Fighting was all a mercenary knew. It would be cruel to say his parents probably wouldn’t be proud, so Alysanne kept her lips shut on the matter. Mercenaries made their lives by ensuring others lost theirs. When this war was over, she wondered if the man would actually be able to survive in a world of peace, or if he’d suffer the fate that so many displaced soldiers did.

If he’d suffer like the Mountain had, unable to accept peace, and so causing harm to many others.

He didn’t seem like the Mountain, at least.

Alysanne couldn’t find the words to lie to him, either. So she merely smiled and gave him a nod. It was the true calling of a mercenary. Violence and death, and prospering at someone else’s end. “Let us hope the Lannisters always have the needful enemies,” she said as an offer of hope instead. "Then you'll always have your pride." She meant it in both senses. A lion did rule a pride, after all.

And the Lannister pride would always have enemies. Those with power always had enemies.

Richter stood up, using the wall to prop him up, He took a few steps forward, then turned to face Alysanne. "I really shouldn't be bothering you with my past when we have other pressing matters to discuss." He grew weary of talking of his history. It always wore him out, remembering the days he was weak, unable to grab life by the horns and take it head on.

Even a fierce lion starts off as a harmless cub, he thought to himself.

"I have no doubt that the weapons should have arrived by now." Richter stated, taking one last look at the enormous wall and the unknown beyond it, then offering his hand to Alysanne. "Shall we move along now?"

"It's no bother, really." The past was not a pleasant topic for him, that much was true. Alysanne imagined it was why he didn’t seem interested in the discussion in general. “Always to business,” she chuckled as he mentioned the weapons, but she stepped forward and took his hand anyway. It wasn’t merely the cold of the north that caused the action.

Richter might still manage to work out a good future for himself. He might figure peace out. The Seven knew that Alysanne wanted to know true peace, one day. ‘And you could.’ If she gave up her hatred of Tywin, she could.

“Let’s move along and see these weapons. Will Brightroar be among them?” She had heard his men went to check out if it was true, and decided he might prefer to talk of business, “Where was it even found?” And how did they know it was Brightroar?

Red Rain was obvious among Valyrian weapons. The steel was red. Its owners were known in history for years, too. House Drumm hadn’t been subtle about its acquisition, stolen from a knight.

"The man who discovered it is a blacksmith. Apparently it washed up shore on Dragonstone Island. I had sent my men there to retrieve the dragon glass, it was then when the blacksmith had discovered the sword. They sent word over to me. One sword makes no difference, however, but it will instill hope into the men. Especially if someone worthy enough wielded it."

Richter explained as he traversed the stairwell down back into the castle halls. "That decision will fall on Lord Tywin. Whoever wields that sword will have the blessing from all members of the House Lannister." When they had reached the bottom of the stairwell, Jaime Lannister was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, waiting for them.

"Well Richter, looks like miracles do happen. Brightroar has been reclaimed by the House Lannister..." He proclaimed with a large smile on his face.

So, in other words, the Brightroar sword would be there. “Morale is always important. I expect the sword will make sure the Others hear the roar of the Lannisters,” it was a joke in its own way, and she chuckled at using the Lannister motto.

‘But they’ll feel my claws.’

It was strange Tywin hadn’t already assigned the sword to Jaime Lannister. Perhaps he was bitter over the loss of Oathkeeper, which had fallen into Tarth hands. The only other sword that was attached to the Lannister’s was Widow’s Wail, in Tommen’s hands, but that was far from here. “What, is Tywin going to give it to Cersei?” She couldn’t help but ask.

Perhaps it was bad timing for the words, since they came as the pair came into sight of Jaime at the bottom of stairs. Alysanne immediately released Richter’s hand.

She met Jaime’s smile. “That is good news. I’m proud for your family.”

“Le-ady!” Steps skidded to a stop as the accented voice of Arion reached them. The accent should cover his mistake, but Alysanne heard it loud and clear.

The man didn’t look like he belonged in the north at all, with golden skin and black stripes across his cheek. His hazel eyes shifted from concern to excitement. A warrior of Volantis he had been, but now an actor in her employ, as well as her own personal guard. “I guess you’ve already heard of Brightroar,” he surmised.

She gave a nod, “I have. Did you see it already, Arion?” She finished her descent and approached the man of Volantis. ‘How dare you even consider Leora appropriate here!’ Not the best actor in the world.

“Yes,” he said with a grin, and offered to Jaime, “The lady here, she loves Valyrian steel. Trained with a sword since young—I helped,” he boasted.

"Haha well I see the Captain has interesting company as well. And I thought poor Richter here was the only one from the odd bunch." Jaime let out a loud laugh, in good spirits about the news of Brightroar no doubt. He took a jab at Richter's gut with his golden hand, who laughed a long but had another thing on his mind.

Leady?, how strange... he thought to himself. But another hard jab from Jaime quickly brought him back to the larger conversation at hand.

"I believe drinks and a toast are in order, but I think we all would like to feast our eyes on the sword itself!" Jaime exclaimed, leading Richter and the others out to the front of the castle. It was there where a group of Richter's men, mercenaries were standing on a horse cart, surrounded by a large mob, all cheering, holding the large great sword high. Once they saw Jaime, one of the men jumped off and handed the sword to him.

Jaime spent a few moments examining the sword. The large Valyrian blade, the silver guard, the ivory hilt, and a ruby encrusted pommel. No one had seen the blade in ages, but the blacksmith confirmed it was indeed Valyrian, and the sword was said to be a greatsword, just like Ice. Jaime trusted the sword into the air, and the crowd cheered once again.

Alysanne smiled politely at Jaime’s comment about ‘odd’ company, though she took offense for Arion’s sake. “Come on, you must see it,” Arion said, not at all worried as to how he was not introduced. He walked with her as Jaime led the way to the cart.

It was surrounded by mercenaries who looked more like what Alysanne expected. Rowdy, carefree, easily moved to celebration. When their eyes fell upon Jaime, they were quick to offer him the beautiful blade.

Alysanne let her own eyes feast on it, and found she didn’t like it, at all. ‘Even before….’ Brightroar had been forged long before the issues between the Reynes and the Lannisters, yet it still was decorated with red. She had learned that red became a prominent feature of Lannister attire and decoration since the destruction of the Reynes. Insult to injury. Seeing it on Brightroar just made her want to destroy the sword, to break it down like Ice. She’d forge hundreds of arrows instead, so it would never be repaired.

The dark steel sung in the air and the crowd cheered again. Alysanne shifted her attention to the dragon glass, and stepped closer to the cart to examine the goods. Arion was, of course, among those cheering over the simple display. “It’s huge!” He laughed with glee at the exhibition, “Has a nice ring to it,” every sword cut the air with a sound, and Valyrian steel had its own distinct sound. Crisp was the best way to put it.

The crowd fell silent once again and begin to part, opening up the way for Tywin Lannister. He walked towards Jaime and Brightroar. The young Lannister kneeled before him, raising the sword up with both arms. However, Tywin beckoned him to rise. He walked past Jaime and put himself at the center of the crowd, so that all eyes were on him.

"When all of you arrived, I asked for nothing more than your capability as a warrior, as a soldier, as a fighter. For we are fighting against monsters that were once deemed myths, legends, stories told to our children to scare them. But they are a very real enemy, and we must fight them with all our power and all our might to be victorious." Tywin paused for a moment, beckoning Jaime to stand next to him.

"If there is a sign that our ancestors bless us all in our struggle, this is it!" He held up Jaime's hand, which in turn held Brightroar. "With this! We shall etch our names into history! With this we shall carve our way through the crowds of demons and monsters! With this, we shall triumph!"

The crowd soon roared after. No doubt that Tywin himself was filled with joy since Brightroar was an important piece of Lannister history. It had been deemed lost in time, lost in history, until now.

Alysanne’s hand trailed over the top of the cart, over the wood, but she turned her body so she was facing Tywin when he came to the center of the crowd. She was surprised he hadn’t been here sooner, but his timing now was perfect. His son held the sword. It was useful to manipulate that moment for morale.

She knew that she ought to cheer aloud like so many others. Even Arion was doing a better job of it as Tywin declared their ancestors blessed them, but she couldn’t. A lazy smile was all she managed, and though it was sincere, it had nothing to do with the scene before her. ‘At least they’re not singing.’ That was the absolute last thing she needed, because there was only one song that would be sung at this moment.

The damned Rains of Castamere. The way Tywin painted himself onto history.

There was enough chaos in the excitement that she doubted very much her lack of enthusiasm would be noticed. ‘And if it is?’ Well, she’d think of something. Likely something about the missing Lannister brother to put a damper on the mood.

Richter walked up next to Alysanne, noticing that she was not cheering on like the others. "Not a fan of the war cry, Alysanne?" He asked her, letting out a small chuckle. "I save my voice for battle, as always. I have no doubt you have a terrifying call to war of your own. Or do you prefer to let one of your men do it?" He leaned against the cart and crossed his arms, watching the crowd cheer and roar.

"With this type of enthusiasm, the battle should be over in a few moments..." He took a second glance at the crowd. "Or maybe this will be our downfall, hubris as they call it..." Richter's gaze switched over to Alysanne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back