• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Black Rains [Closed]

It seemed Richter was observing closely enough. This didn’t surprise her. She would have been more concerned if it were Tywin or Jaime. She chuckled a bit under his observation and answered, “I prefer not to announce myself. If someone is going to shout, it is usually Lord Grant,” she didn’t ask him to, he just did it.

Speeches for morale were made before engagement. The energetic shout usually came after engagement, when Willys felt like screaming his insults at the enemies.

She did shake her head, “No, I don’t think this is hubris. I think this will give us the advantage in the next engagement. With all of this dragonglass, and two swords of Valyrian steel on the field, things should go smoothly,” she let her green eyes shift from the raised blade to Richter, “Morale never hurts. Lord Lannister talks well, and if Ser Jaime is there tomorrow, the troops should have few troubles following his…shining example.”

The sword was called ‘bright’, after all. How a roar could be bright, she’d never know, but no one questioned the logic of those who named swords.

"Ahh... I guess it's just my personal preference of getting blood boiling right before the battle. That way it stays hot until the end, even if some of it is spilled. I love it when men raise their swords though... as if their next battle is fought in honor of history's greatest warriors. Someday in the future, I'm sure many will raise their weapons as an offering to the great Captain Alysanne Farman." Richter let out a small chuckle and stood up straight.

The crowd had died down after a few moments. Some men went to celebrate along their comrades while others trained even harder for the battle that would ensue. "Well then, I believe we should begin to distribute the dragon glass weaponry so that our men could get accustomed to them." Richter signaled his men to bring the rest of the carts closer before he himself picked out a greatsword.

It wasn't as long and wide as Brightroar, but the blade was still lengthy. "This is my kind of weapon..." Richter stated, grasping it with both hands and getting a feel for the weight of the sword.

Willys and Richter would likely get along. It was almost a shame she hadn’t brought the Lord along, but she trusted him more than most. She trusted him to handle things independently of her. She did smile a bit at his statement, as if men didn’t already lift their swords for her. Even so, she said, “I doubt it,” because it would not be that name, when all was said and done.

She pushed away from the cart as the men started to surround it. Richter preferred the great sword, and she smiled a bit. “You and Jaime have a lot in common, don’t you?” It came as teasing. He’d already seen Red Rain and knew her preference by it; long sword. Not nearly as wide, but just as long as any great sword. Easier to wield with one hand.

As others came around, she offered a, “Don’t forget they’re brittle.” She’d had a moment’s experience with dragonglass. She had shattered it, which led her to believe they weren’t the best of weapons. Valyrian steel didn’t tend to shatter regular steel, after all. “Be careful in your practices, let’s not break things beforehand.”

Her attention shifted then to Richter, “You will let me know when all the weapons have been passed out, so I know how much I have to transport back to Eastmarch, right?” There were lots of men here, and there were more on Eastmarch. She hoped Tywin had gotten enough for it to be split evenly. Otherwise, getting the wildfire from Kevan was going to be that much more important. Well, assuming it was there.

‘Speaking of….’ Best not squander the opportunity, “I’ll leave you to the distribution.” She turned and sprinted to Tywin, who hadn’t yet left the area.

“Lord Lannister,” she called for his attention, and would wait until she held it before continuing.

"I'll let you know as soon as it's done." Richter responded, looking back at the carts and ordering men around.

The lord turned around with a rather surprised expression on his face. However, it returned to normal as soon as he saw it was Alysanne. "Lady Farman, I was about to suggest the distribution of the special weaponry. However, I see Commander Lionheart is taking care of that as we speak." Tywin spoke in a slightly impressed tone, looking back at Richter and the carts.

His gaze shifted back to Alysanne. "I feel a sense of urgency from you, so please speak. I have other important matters to discuss and dispute back in the castle halls, so please make this quick." The sense of joy from Brightroar had already dissipated. The same cold tone from when he spoke in the war room had returned. However, it was joined by a feeling of urgency from the Lord.

Alysanne nodded, “Yes, those are the Commander’s men, he knows how to distribute to them. I’ve come to you to request use of wildfire, if there is any to be had.” She did not look over her shoulder, though she wanted to. “I have no intention of keeping you long. I have a simple request, Lord Lannister.”

She prefaced the request with the problem, though. “There’s not enough dragon glass for my men and the Commander’s. If the Others are so attached to winter, then I believe that wildfire will prove an advantage over them, and I can line my men’s steel weapons with it.” It was a rare naval captain who would want wildfire anywhere near them, considering what happened to Stannis Baratheon at Blackwater, “I have a maester in my employ who has already taught me how to be careful with it, and I have brought him with me. He remains at Eastmarch at the moment—Maester Elyan.” In case a name was required. In case he had heard of the maester.

Wildfire was dangerous, of course, but Alysanne knew the rules. Keep it out of sunlight until it was going to be used, in a nutshell. It was not fire until exposed to an explosive force. It could be safely handled and applied to weapons before their use, if they were kept in their sheathes. “I know that King’s Landing once had a store of it. If that has been brought here, I would like your permission to use it.”

"It indeed has been transported here and stored deep within the castle halls." Tywin explained, pacing slowly around Alysanne but stopping right behind her. "But the plan was to use it as a last resort if we were ever forced into a corner. I'm sure you understand how volatile this substance is, considering how events unfolded at at Blackwater Bay."

He paced around again, this time to his original position in front of Alysanne. "What guarantee I have that you will use it wisely, and that you will not run off with it if things turn for the worse." Tywin looked up at the sky, then at the men receiving the dragon glass weaponry. "You might endanger men's lives even further by using such an explosive substance."

"If any lives are lost due to the substance, the blood will be on your hands... Lady Farman." Tywin concluded.

Alysanne held herself still when Tywin began to circle her. There was a strong desire to follow him, so he’d never see her back, but she resisted. ‘Let’s see how well you can size me up.’ She didn’t even look over her shoulder at him as he spoke.

He returned to face her. No definite answer was given. “The Farmans’ are your loyal vassals, Lord Lannister. What strength could we muster to protect the wildfire if we stole it? It benefits us not,” she shook her head, “the Others are a threat to everyone. I want to destroy them and end the winter as much as you do. It benefits us the same as it benefits you. We’re aligned on this.”

‘And only this.’

Alysanne consented, “I know that any lives lost due to improper use are mine to bear on my conscious.”

‘But I’ll sleep as well as you no matter how it turns.’ Alysanne had no intention of getting anyone killed with wildfire, but she could endure mistakes as easily as Tywin endured genocide.

"Very well..." Tywin nodded and began to walk back into the castle. "Speak to the Commander once the distribution is over. He will show you the way. He trusts you greatly, I hope you will not disappoint him." Tywin disappeared from view as he returned to the castle halls. He sensed that the woman had a certain aura about her. It reminded him of something. Tywin wasn't sure what it exactly was... but he knew for a fact it was something he hated.

Should the operation fail, the plan to use the wildfire as a means to defend the Wall would no longer be available. And if the White Walkers should plan a massive attack, they would surely overpower and destroy the defenses.

It was a great risk for everyone, but Tywin understood that the longer they waited, the stronger the white ones would grow. It was time to go on the offensive, all or nothing.

For a few moments after Tywin left, Alysanne didn’t move. Her eyes tracked him as he left the area. If he thought Richter had a lion’s heart, did he know that she did? Perhaps it was difficult for him to assess—he was more familiar with the men, after all. A pride was always run by men, but the hunting was always done by women.

Did Tywin know yet he was prey?

Arion came to her side and touched her arm, “What was that about?” He asked, and she turned to look at him with a smile.

“Wildfire,” was her answer. The man lost all of his color, and she laughed, “You shouldn’t need it. You’ll get dragon glass,” she told him.

“Our boats….”

“We’ll be careful,” she said, then motioned for him to follow her back to where the Commander was, at the carts still. She gave him a pleasant smile and said, “Lord Lannister has given me permission to take wildfire on this venture. You know the way?”

Alysanne could no longer believe Richter’s act of humility. How could he imagine that riches, fortunes, and lordships weren’t in his future, if Tywin trusted Richter’s opinion so much that Tywin would trust a mere Farman vassal with wildfire? If he was truly that humble, than he was also that naive. Alysanne wasn't sure which she preferred--someone playing it up for the sake of appearing modest, or someone naive.

"Wildfire? I wasn't expecting that to be used in this battle..." Richter had a genuinely surprised look on his face. He thought the plan was already solid, everyone agreed to it even Tywin. Was there something he missed, something he overlooked? He didn't like his plans changing at all... especially if the change meant using something as dangerous as wildfire. Once decided, he usually carried the mission out, no changes or doubts.

Hearing this, made him think there were doubts. "If you don't mind my intrusion Alysanne, but was there something wrong with the original plan? I thought there were enough weapons for your men?" Richter absolutely hated doubts, they put him on edge. In fact, doubts were the sole reasons that such losses were sustained at Whispering Wood. They weren't sure of the number of enemy forces, but they were deployed anyways.

The losses were great, and he didn't want to go through such an experience yet again.

Wildfire was naturally going to be a surprise to the young commander. Alysanne expected that, since even Tywin had not intended to use it until last-minute. His question was expected, and Alysanne answered honestly, “No, there are not enough weapons for my own men. I suspect Tywin didn’t think I would have so many,” but she’d brought over others from the Westerlands, not just those from the Fair Isles.

After all, the trek by land took a long while. “Don’t worry, I know enough about wildfire, and there is a maester with my crew back at Eastmarch who knows how to make it himself. “I’m sure you’ve heard of Thoros of Myr, correct?” She made a guess. Thoros was a Red Priest, “He uses the wildfire on his own blade. I’ve seen it a few times. I don’t believe he’s ever set King’s Landing on fire.”

She hoped that by mentioning Thoros, and her maester, that Richter would be more at ease with the plan to utilize wildfire.

Richter paced back and forth, taking in all facts into account. After a few moments, he stopped and turned to Alysanne. "I believe that even if I went against it, you would still use it anyways, seeing that Lord Tywin himself gave you permission to do so." He let out a loud sigh, placing his left hand on his hip and scratching his head with his right hand.

"Very well then..." Richter continued, clearing his throat and crossing his arms. "I trust you well enough, Alysanne... but I'm just worried that this plan could backfire after all. I should have more confidence I suppose..." He stepped up next to her, putting his arms behind his back and turning his head slightly towards her. "If you would please follow me, I will show you to the substance."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back