• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Bigger on the Inside

Rowan slid his hand across the table in front of him, searching for the fork. Finding it, he followed in his sisters silent eating,,,,, most as fast Hugo's had been. It had been a long while since they've had decent food instead of the scraps off the table or sneaking from the freezer in hopes of taking their hunger. They finished quickly, nervously fidgeting in their seats for a moment before picking up empty bowls, scuttling across the kitchen like anxious mice. Grabbing Rowans bowl, Maeve washed out the two bowl and opened the empty dishwasher, stacking the two neatly be each other.

Migrating across the floor again, they claimed their seats at the table for the second time. Maeve kept her eyes down, fidgeting nervously with her hands underneath the table as Rowan casually slipped his hand over the placemat and surfaces in front of him. Feeling the textures, Maeve kne as she saw this from the corner of her eyes.

"What are the shows like?" Rowan asked, looking up from his blind exploration. Maeve looked up at this, just as curious as her brother as she glanced around the table. From what she gathered, everyone here preformed - minus the rat, of course. Rowan glanced at his sister before looking at Eva and Kennedy again, glowing with curiosity.​

Kennedy looked as though she was about to say something to Rowan and Maeve, perhaps scold them for eating too fast, but she stopped herself. She supposed that they weren't used to having food. The pair scarfed down their meals and put their dishes in the dishwasher without being asked before shuffling back to the table.

Eva was the first to speak at Rowan's question. "They're a lot of things," she said. "Usually they're very loud. Different performers do different things." She paused. "Kennedy started out doing androgynous type drag. She did a lot of Michael Jackson. It's how we met, actually."

"I can still do it," Kennedy said. "I learned all his dance moves."

"I like doing a lot of broadway numbers," she said. "Some performers lipsync, some sing, Cherie even does fire eating from time to time. Some like do go for a more natural drag look, and some," She looked over at Jupiter. "Are more androgynous. Some are transgender, some aren't. Some are kings, some are queens, and some are in between. People tip the performers they like the best. I usually tip everyone at least once, especially the younger ones who are just starting."

Rowan and Maeve looked at each other, mystified at the idea. Clearly, these two haven't been out in the real world much, locked away in rooms and basements. They seemed excited at the idea, and Rowan in particular - he was fascinated by all the glitz and glam around in the house, enjoying the fabrics and the idea of the dresses and all the pretties.

"So," Maeve began, not sure how to phrase her question, "so girls can dress like boys there too? And it's... expected?" Rowan looked at her almost smugly, and she shot back a no please stop whatever you're thinking look. However, he continued the question the twins were both wondering. "Can kids do it too? Could May-May be a boy and I could be a girl?" He was so plainly hopeful it made Maeve smile a bit, looking down shyly at her hands.

Maeve reached up absentmindedly, fiddling with the end of one of the brain Rowan had tied for her. Glancing up again, she wished that she could crop her hair short, just short enough to be girly one day and then tomboyish the next. The femininity was nice, she figured, but would it hurt to be boyish sometimes? Rowan understood, she knew, but Maeve figured that it was best to tone it down a bit.​

"Girls can dress like boys, boys can dress like girls. Anyone can dress like anybody," Kennedy said. "It's all about expression." At Rowan's question, Kennedy smiled. "Kids can do it too, she said. "Anybody who wants to can do it. You and Maeve are more than welcome to join in if you'd like."

"I might have something that could fit you," Hugo said to Rowan, who was still small due to his childhood malnourishment as well as his Cystic Fibrosis. "It might be a bit big, but it might fit. I'm sure I could pin it up a bit." He took a noodle and fed it to Ace, who was still perched on his shoulder.

"I could do your makeup too, if you want," Eva offered. "And I'm sure Kennedy has something that might fit you." She directed this last part to Maeve. "And she might be able to do your makeup."

Kennedy shrugged. "I could try," she said. "You might end up looking like Michael Jackson a little bit though." She chuckled softly as she spoke.

(I'm sorry this took so long. I've been kind of depressed lately)

Rowan looked ecstatic, fidgeting in his seat energetically. His sister blushed brightly at the direct attention, but nodded in agreement with her blue eyes downcast bashfully. Her twin poked her shoulder, and she glanced at her brother. "I may be going blind," he teased, "but even I know you're still too pal-" he cut off with a snicker as Maeve nudged his chair with her foot, making him jump a bit. However, Maeve still found it amusing and she smiled softly, looking down to hide the expression.

As the meal ended, the dishes put up and leftovers stored away, Maeve and Rowan followed the older children and the adopted mothers to the stairs. Blue eyes bright with excitement, Maeve led Rowan up the stairs with his hand in hers. He was clumsy going up, obvious confusion on his face as he felt for every step. Finally, the twins reached the top and Rowan suddenly felt a crash of protectiveness for his sister.

Maeve looked back at him, curious as he didn't let go of her hand to follow Eva and Kennedy. He looked at her desperately, squeezing her hand fearfully. She whispered something to him under her breath in his ear and he reluctantly let go, although it seemed to bother him much more than it should have. He turned in the general direction Ronan went, walking into the other boys' room - or trying to. Instead, he bumped into the wall. Confused, he stretched out his hands and squinted in an attempt to see properly, feeling along the wall until he stumbled into the room.

Maeve had flounced after Kennedy, blue eyes wide in excitement and a small smile on her face. Her braids were already fluffing out, red curls poking to and fro, but the young girl didn't seem to care as she followed the older woman closely.

(Hey, it's okay. You don't need to apologize. Are you alright?)​

Hugo and Ronan had been the first ones up the stairs and into their room. Hugo took Ace from his shoulder and deposited the rat back into his cage, turning as he heard a soft thump. Ronan, who was nearer to the door, pulled Rowan back to his feet. "Are you all right?" Ronan asked. He was surprised to see Maeve vanishing down the hallway in the opposite direction from her twin. "Where's Maeve off to?"

Kennedy headed up the stairs and down the hall to her bedroom, not even hearing Maeve following behind her. "Hey," she greeted, turning to see the girl. She reached out to tuck a stray strand of Maeve's hair back into her braid.

(I'm sorry it's so short. I'll be fine.)

Rowan searched almost blindly for Ronans hand, letting the older boy pull his malnourished form back to its feet. "I'm alright," he said, running the back of his neck sheepishly. "I can't see very well," he confessed, tapping the skin next to his eye to emphasis his words. His hands were shaking, something that happened whenever Maeve left his side. Without her to protect, he felt empty and useless. Something was wrong with his mind, he knew, but he didn't seem to care for the most part. "She's probably off to meet Kennedy or Eva properly."

Maeve stiffened at the woman reached out, her eyes widening in fear as she stayed perfectly still. When all that happened was hair being tucked back into place, the youth relaxed a bit and offered a cautious, shy little smile. She didn't say anything, just tipped her head to the side and peering curiously at Kennedy as if trying to figure out just what made her adopt Maeve and her twin.

(Are you sure? And don't worry about the length, you're fine.)​

Hugo laughed softly. "I can't even breathe very well," he said, kicking the machine in the corner. "I think I've got you beat."

The machine was a bulky thing, a box with tubes that ran from it and connected to a thick, inflatable vest. He had to use it twice a day at the least, combined with his daily cocktail of medicines, all in an attempt to loosen and thin the mucus in his lungs. He gave the machine another kick as he passed it, as if it's very existence irritated him.

Ronan rolled his eyes at his brother and looked to Rowan, noticing the younger boy's hands trembling. "Are you all right?" he asked.

Kennedy smiled softly at Maeve. "You look nice in braids," she commented, turning to glance at her reflection in the mirror for a moment before looking back over her shoulder as Eva slipped out of the bathroom.

"What's wrong, honey?" the taller of the pair asked, noticing Maeve staring intently at Kennedy. "Are you feeling all right?"

Rowan looked at his hands, feeling them shaking violently. "I... Don't know? Whenever May-May goes off by herself I get... scared. I know nothing will happen but I have this weird idea that if I leave her alone something really bad will happen. I have to be next to her," he added almost fiercely, blue eyes sparking, "and I have to protect her. I can barely even be in a different room without freaking out. I get... paranoid, I think that's the word?"

The kick to the machine startled Rowan, who squinted in the general direction of the sound without really seeing what happened. "Why can't you breathe?" He asked, obviously confused at the idea.

Maeve jumped as Eva came from the bathroom, shaking visibly as she asked the question. It took several moments for the girl to be able to answer, gathering up the courage to speak even though she clearly had permission. "I-I was j-just wondering w-why you ad-dopted us," she stammered, fumbling over her words in her anxiety as her breathing started to quicken from anxiety.

"I'm-sorry-I-wont-ask-any-more-questions," she blurted in one long word, blue eyes wide and paranoid as she felt the tension in her chest rise threateningly, as if she were holding back a scream. She fidgeted her weight around in hopes of getting rid of the bubble of panic, her eyes ducking back to the ground.​

Ronan smiled at the younger boy. "I know what you mean," he said. "I used to be like that, especially when I first came to live here. It got better with time, but I still like to be near Hugo. It's why we still share a room even after all this time. Eva and Kennedy used to offer a lot to give us separate rooms, but it would feel weird if we didn't." He paused. "I like sharing."

Hugo smiled at his brother and then looked back to Rowan. "I have Cystic Fibrosis," he told him. "It makes the mucus in my lungs really thick and hard for me to breathe. I have to wear this demon thing" he pointed to the machine. "At least twice a day if not more for half an hour. It loosens up all the crap in my lungs so I can–" he cut off as he burst into a coughing fit. "So I can cough it up," he finished.

Maeve began to tremble, and when she stammered through her question and blurted out her apology, Eva took a step toward her. "Honey," she said softly, gently caressing the child's cheek as she spoke. "Don't ever apologize for asking questions. There's nothing wrong with being curious." She stroked the girl's hair for a few moments in an attempt to calm her.

"You don't deserve to have gone through what you did," she told her. "No one does. And you reminded us of the things we've seen before. And...maybe a little bit of ourselves." She smiled, a slight sadness visible in her gaze for a moment, and then looked back to Maeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back