Video Games Best horror video games out there?

coyotl

it’s so gojover
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I’ll be honest, I’ve never played any. Unless you count Forest or Needy Streamy Overload. I’d really like to get into horror games tho, so if anybody has recommendations, please shoot! Rn I’m hearing Dead Space is the best.

If you want a masterpiece of psychological horror, I recommend Omori! It's best to go in completely blind, so don't look up anything before you play it. You can find it on PC and Switch.

If you want a masterpiece of psychological horror, I recommend Omori! It's best to go in completely blind, so don't look up anything before you play it. You can find it on PC and Switch.
It’s horror? :0 Oh shit… I had no idea, the art looks so cute. Thank you for the recommendation!

The Silent Hill series is pretty good. The older ones. I've heard they're making more games. Also, Bramble: The Mountain King is another one too.

A bit niche, but SCP Containment Breach is pretty neat. All sorts of wacky stuff to keep you on the edge.

You guys are awesome. If anybody has more suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

You should also try the Resident Evil games or The Fatal Frame series too.

1701052754600.png
Widely regarded as one of if not the best horror game made in its time if not beyond. I'm not saying to emulate it.

Outlast, Little Nightmares, Dead Space. One of THE best IMO is Visage. Play Visage if nothing else ( do the little girls story first).

I thought Graveyard Shift was good. Abandoned Souls is good too. They can both be found on Steam and realistic horror.

If you like dinosaurs, Oakwood is okay and Fossil Fuel 2.

Besides the games that people have already mentioned:
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a classic for a reason; it really popularized the type of game where you have no weapons and can only run or hide
  • Alien: Isolation is also "you are defenseless and have to HIDE" and wow it is a complete panic attack of a game tbh
  • Imscared - A Pixelated Nightmare is honestly another classic, a very indie game that is one of the big early indie metahorrors, breaking the fourth wall a lot
  • Detention and Devotion are two different games by the Taiwanese studio Red Candle Games that are very steeped in Taiwanese culture and history; they're incredibly different games (Detention is a 2D side-scroller; Devotion is realistic and in first person) but they're both incredibly good
  • Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion sounds and looks like a cute spoof of a horror game, but it's actually effective and cool once it gets going! It plays around a lot with video game horror history and tropes so you might want to play it after a few other recommendations...
  • Since someone recommended Omori, I want to also recommend some other classic RPG Maker indie horror games! Ib and The Witch's House are two of my favorites, but The Crooked Man (and the other games in The Strange Men Anthology), Mad Father, and Misao are also loved by a lot of people. (As is Yume Nikki, which I do recommend, but I don't consider that one a horror game per se.)
  • For cheap-or-free games, Kitty Horrorshow is an incredible horror creator! Her stuff is short and very strange and unnerving, despite mostly being walking simulators; almost all of it is free. I especially recommend the games in her Haunted Cities Volume 4 collection, which is totally free; I think my favorite of the games in there is Tenement, but Lethargy Hill might be the scariest for me. I also highly recommend the only game she has that costs anything: Anatomy is just $2.99 and it freaks me out entirely.
  • Also free and entirely too freaky (both on the surface and the more you think about it): Close Your Eyes by Gamigami. A very effective game where closing your eyes is your only protection.
  • Finally, a horror game that is also a love story and also incredibly funny: Slay the Princess is maybe my current favorite game and I entirely love it. It's not the scariest game on this list by a long shot, but it's incredibly good and I definitely recommend it...
As an extra note, if you want to check out any of the Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, or Resident Evil games, I recommend specifically:
  • Silent Hill 2 (the classic and probably most beloved), Silent Hill 4 (not as popular back when it came out but considered strong now and very scary), Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (sort of a total retelling/reimagining of the very first game and psychologically fascinating). The first Silent Hill game is great but you can really see and feel its age trying to play it now; Silent Hill 3 is a sequel to the first game and while it's really good and I do recommend it I don't think it's a good starting point into the series; most of the other Silent Hill games are very much weaker entries; and unfortunately you can't get P.T. anymore.
  • Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly is maybe the best entry point into the series; the first game unfortunately has some of the issues of the first Silent Hill game, though it's still legit terrifying imo. Fatal Frame III: The Tormented is somewhat of a sequel to the first game, and like Silent Hill 3 I do still recommend it. The fourth game, Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, is maybe the second best entry point and I found it incredibly scary. I haven't yet gotten a chance to check out the most recent game, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, but it's another sequel to the first (and third?) game so wouldn't be the best to start with simply because of that IMO.
  • Resident Evil... this is simple, I am biased. I feel like Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is one of the best entry points into the series for new fans, and its direct sequel Resident Evil Village is if anything an even better game (but should be played after 7). The other best entry point may be... Well, objectively speaking it may be the original game's remaster, but I personally want to say it's the Resident Evil 4 remake that came out just this year. That game rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back