• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Behind Locked Doors

Annabelle wore the prettiest dress she had ever made, a sapphire blue dress with an almost velvety overlay and a black choker as she walked up the icy hill. She wrapped her slender arms around herself for warmth and gently wrapped her fingers around the door ring and knocked a few times. "Hello? Mr. Morgan?" She called over the wintery wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Oh my dear, how you would enjoy this one." Isaac close his book and sat it on the table next to him. The room was dark with the only light coming from the fireplace. The sun could easily light the room up if it was not hidden behind clouds but instead, Isaac kept the windows covered. The room had a sad feel to it. Each wall was lined with book shelves that were overfilled with book. Dusty and unkept.

Isaac looked over to the chair that sat across from him. It was empty and almost dusty. He closed his eyes and imaged her there. Sitting with her feet propped up and her belly large. She would be hand stitching baby shoes or clothes. When he opened his eyes, the chair was still empty...as it would always be.

He wanted nothing more but to feel the warmth of her smile. Since he knew he would never feel it, he stayed away from the sun. It was nothing compared to her warmth and he wanting noting from it. The outside world was cold and icy anyway, the sun would do nothing.

Rising from his chair, he dusted of his coat and left the drawing room. He could hear his butler come in from behind him and grab his tray of tea and take it away. He was the only one he had and the only one he needed. The man was both deaf and mute, so Isaac could trust him. He was also the man who helped raise him along side his mother. When Isaac left, his butler followed with loyalty. He knew to never answer the door or open the blinds. He was the one who left to the market to bring food back and any thing new happening. He was old and kind fellow.

Isaac nodded to him and made his way up the stairs. He grew tired and wanted to rest. Before he could make it to the top, a light knock on the front door startled him. Someone calling on him. He could hear a women voice light call out his name. His butler stood at the ending of the stares, waiting for Isaacs answer. Isaac shook his head and turned away, going into his own room. Maybe the girl would be smart enough to go home before she froze to death. The butler followed his order but when Isaac was gone, he gently unlocked the door and left to his chamber. If the girl wanted to enter, she could.

The girl was about to call for him again when suddenly she heard a click. She assumed that meant that she was allowed inside, so she slowly opened the door and quietly closed it behind her. When she saw no one, she was a bit perturbed. "Hello?" She whispered, almost afraid to hear an answer. She sighed softly, but she was not discouraged, he must be in here somewhere, he did let her in after all. (Or so he thought.) Her little feet walked swiftly across the room, looking for the man she intended to thank. She poked her head into the kitchen, then the dinning room, the living room, still no Mr. Morgan. So she made her way upstairs, when her foot touched a particularly creaky board she froze then laughed silently to herself. What was she so afraid of? It wasn't as if she were sneaking about.

She was going to open the first door obvious upstairs but then... a somewhat hidden staircase to the side of the hallway caught her curiosity and she unwisely walked up the stone spiral staircase, a little too narrow for her taste. She continued upward, and she reasoned her actions by thinking to herself that she thought she saw a light. She continued up until she reached the room. The only light was from the full moon being covered and uncovered by clouds. Her delicate fingers graced a few books until she accidentally pressed a hidden button of sorts and a drawer shot open. A tiny black book was the only thing in the center of the secret drawer. She couldn't help her curiosity and she held the book in her hand and opened it. As she read it she realized that it was a book of names... a book of people.. killed?! She gasped then looked around the room, there were artifacts from the person of various men, no doubt murdered. She swallowed hard and clutched the book subconsciously, slowly walking backward.

Isaac started to undo this vest and shirt when he heard odd footsteps from inside the house. He knew his butlers steps, for the were heavy and uneven. But these were light and shifty. Someone had entered his house. Was it the women at the door. He couldn't take a chance. Grabbing his pistol from the bed table draw, he quickly made his way out of his room and to where he heard the foot steps.

It was that room! He left the door open earlier and didn't lock it!

Slowly he slipped inside into the shadows. He was about to raise his run and shoot but he stopped. It was only a simple women. In her hands was his record book.

"Looks like a snake has slithered in front he cold!" Isaac shut the door loudly in hopes of scaring the girl. "What is the meaning of this?"

He walked forward and grabbed her wrist while snatching the book away from her with his other hand. "Why are you here?" He demanded.

Annabelle jerked up with a gasp and dropped the book on the floor. "I-I'm sorry I heard someone unlock the door and I thought I could come in, and then there was a light up here I thought you might be up here." She was rambling now, completely afraid. "I just came to thank you and give you this." She fumbled to get an envelope from her underskirt pocket (which was a trademark of hers) and tried to give him the pile of letters that the workers and owner of the dress shop had written him, her small hands were shaking. "See?" She said, her voice quivering. "I meant no harm, I swear it."

Keeping a firm grip on her wrist, Isaac took the letter and sat them on the desk beside them. He then reached down and grabbed the book and shook it in front of her. "What did you see? What did you read?" His head started to spin at the aspect of what was going on. She knew everything now. If she left now, she would get the authorities and he would loose more to his past. He couldn't let that happen but he knew he was scaring the girl more. Better he be scared then her run off and tell the towns people who he was. "What do you know?" He repeated but this time calmly and softly. The fire from the fire place reflected in his eyes as he stared her down.

Annabelle looked up into his eyes, her lower lip quivering a little. She looked at the hand that held her wrist then back up at him. "All I know is that you've probably hurt some people." She admitted shakily. In all honesty she was surprised she hadn't started crying yet. "Please let me go." She begged in a soft voice. "I-I wouldn't have any proof even if I did want to tell someone. And I won't I promise. Just let me go, please."

He couldn't let this secret out. Even with no proof, someone would be intrigued and investigate. He was not to get involved physically with people outside his home. If one person who believed her, it would be a world of trouble and he would have to leave his home. He couldn't leave this place...it was all he had left of her.

"Come with me." He simply said. He played the book next to the letters and pulled her out of the room. Isaac pulled her all the way down the stairs to the second floor. He couldn't think of what to do with her begging. Of course he wanted to let her go but he would put his life and his butlers life in harms way.

"In here." He dragged her into a room that had no window, a large canopy bed, a wardrobe and a fire place. Connected to it was a separate bathroom you could only get to though the room. It was his wife birthing room. When she was with child, she would get severe headaches from sunlight so he built on a room with no window she could rest in. The room was beautifully decorated with red and blacks. Everything was neat and clean.

Isaac threw the girl onto the bed and turned quickly to leave the room. He needed time to think. He shut the door before she even had the chance to chase after him and locked it behind him. He had the master key that unlocked all rooms and this one would only be unlocked from the outside.

"There is a lantern by the bed and wood in the fire place. Get yourself warm while I think what to do with you." He spoke through the door, just loud enough so she could hear him. He then turned and went straight down stairs to lock every door to the house that could be escaped through.

Annabelle was in shock for a moment or two. The thought of captivity depressed her and let her imaginations run rampant in her mind. She curled up on the bed and wrapped her arms around her body. “Please let me go…” She whimpered, feeling tears finally fall down her cheeks. She tried to light the lantern but her hands were much too shaky and she was afraid that she might knock something over and start a fire. She had been able to keep what the doctors called, “the madness” at bay but here in this isolated room and fueled by fear and stress, her tormentors came back to the forefront of her mind. She closed her eyes and went back to her coping mechanisms, she imagined she was at a house by the beach. In that house she was safe and secure surrounded by the people who loved her. Her father, her mother, her siblings. Sometimes thoughts would taint the peace, and so she changed her scenario. She was alone, in front of her house, the salty sea air gracing her skin as the ocean crashed against the shore in waves. She cupped her hands to her ears to help her “hear” the waves. Her heart pounded against her chest despite all her efforts and deep in her subconscious she hoped he would let her out.

Isaac fell down into his chair in the secret room. What the hell did think he was doing? He just locked a girl up in his own house. This was wrong but he didn't know what else to do. If he released her, she would surly go screaming to the village. He couldn't trust her word of keeping her mouth shut since anyone would say that in the situation. He had to think of someway to make this easier. He couldn't kill her. The village knew she was up here and would want to know what she hadn't returned. Leading forward, he placed his head in his hands and tried to think.

He did need a maid, or at least a women here. Maybe he can bargain with her about staying.

After an hour of sitting there with his head in his hands, he finally made his decision.

He rose from his chair and went straight to his room. There he dressed himself properly since he was in the presence of a lady and went to her door.

"I am coming in...." He unlocked the door and entered the room. The girl was curled up on the crying softly. HE turned and locked the door behind him and sat down in one of the chairs by the fireplace.

"I am sorry. You have to understand why I am doing this." HIs voice was soft but stern. "Im not going to hurt you but...I can't let you go. I will loose everything. What you saw in there was the past and I have tried my hardest to pull myself away from it. Thats why...." He went silent for a second. "Thats why I have a preposition for you. Stay here with me. I will let you be in peace and you will have everything you want. The only thing is, you can't leave. I don't have any other choice. I will continue to pay money to the town and you will send them a letter stating that you have chosen to work here. If you disagree...I will stop funding the town and it will go into ruins." He hated what he was doing but he had no choice.

Annabelle sniffled softly and rubbed her eyes with her dainty hands. She looked up at him then down to the side of her. "I'll... I'll never see my family again." She said quietly, feeling a few more tears slip down her cheeks. "But then... there are children in my town who rely on their fathers and mothers owning a shop they'll starve without it." She looked down at her hands which were placed in her lap, her soft heart made up her mind for her. "I will stay... here... forever." She just barely managed to say the words that would intact her imprisonment. In that moment she felt every dream she had once had slip through her fingers, watching her siblings grow up, getting married herself, having a family, one day owning a house by the sea. All that was gone in an instant, and she felt her heart shatter at the thought that she would be trapped in this cold, dark, dusty home for the remainder of her life, forced to serve her captor, never feeling what it is to be in loved or to be loved. "You should have just killed me." She mumbled to herself without much thought, she couldn't look at him again, she only looked at her hands which were clasped together. This touch, of her hand grasping the other would be the only comfort she would ever have again.

Her words felt like daggers in his heart. He was destroying her life. He kept his head down, not able to look at her. This was the only way other then killing her...

"I swore to her that I would never take another life...I'm sorry." He rose from his chair and turned. "You won't need to worry about being a salve or maid. You will live well here. I make sure your every need is tended to. Sleep here for the night and I will have a nicer room with a window and new things set up for you tomorrow." At that, he didn't know what else to say. He kept his back to her and opened the room door. "My butler will bring you something warm to eat." At that, he shut the door behind him and locked it.

His butler stood at the end of the hall and raised an eyebrow at him.

"You know I had to do it....we would loose everything." His butler shook his head at him and turned away. "It is not your right to care so go bring the girl something warm to eat,"

Isaac made sure once more the door was locked and left for this own room.

Audrey wanted to cry but no more tears would come. Her face, usually so bright with happiness was sunken in misery as she sat on the bed meant for another. "I may not have my freedom but.. he cannot take away my memories and he cannot takeaway my song, nor my stories." She said, trying to comfort herself, but it wasn't working. She thought of her friend Jacques or, Jack, back home. She wondered if he would forget about her in time... She had thought at one point that she would marry the boy, that was an impossibility now. She thought about what Mr. Morgan had said, he had promised her not to kill another. In her eyes she was already dead, she was only alive as a mere technicality to keep him from feeling guilty. She felt anger and frustration build within her, overflowing with hate for her captor, the man who was taking away all that was and all that would be. She wanted to throw something, but there was nothing to throw, so instead she gripped the pillow, clutching it to her chest and screamed at the top of her lungs, not caring who might hear. All of her pain and despair was filled in that gut wrenching scream until she was reduced to sobs and she buried her face in her hands throwing the pillow at the wall as she cried, all alone.

Isaac sat in his room and could hear the girls screams of anger and sadness from the other room. She had every right to be sad. He had taken her freedom but it was better in his eyes then taking her life. Slowly he undressed and got into his night clothes. His bed was made and ready. He laid there and turned the lantern off. He wanted so badly to sleep but all he could do was stair into the darkness of his room.

He wished Marian was here. She was the one who always kept him strong and helped him with the right choices. But she was gone and now he had to find a way to make this girl happy....if there was even a way.

The butler made his way up the stairs and unlocked the girls door with his own key. In his hands he carried a tray of hot soup and hot milk. He laid it down on the stand next to the bed and turned, left and locked the door behind him.

____

Morning came slowly and Isaac barley got any sleep.

He dressed himself as he heard his butler down stars making breakfast. He imagined that it would be the same. Fruit, cheese and bread. Would the girl like that? What was she use to eating?

He entered the hallway and went to her door. He knocked and unlocked the door, but didn't open it. "There is breakfast down stairs for you. Please come down and eat. There are dresses in the wardrobe that looks to fit you. Please pick any, they are yours now and we will get you more soon." He turned from the door and made his way to the study, so she could come down and eat without fearing him, His butler would bring him something while he read.

Annabelle did not eat the soup nor drink the milk, she hated wasting food but she wasn't feeling up to eating. The following morning she kept her same dress on, she wasn't about to wear someone else's clothes and besides, her dress was her last tie to home. She gently slid her hands in her pockets and the faintest of smiles lit her face at the memory of her invention as a girl. She sighed then went downstairs to placate him. She sat in the chair farthest from him and she kept her eyes down. When food was placed in front of her she didn't make any changes, just sat there with a solemn look on her face. If she looked at him it was only to glare, like a tigress in her cage, she still had a bit of fight in her despite feeling so helpless.

When the plates were sat down, Isaac started on his. He never really ate much since he always had such little appetite but he kept with his normal routine and habit.

"There is an assortment from rooms for your to choice from. Tell the butler which your could prefer and we will have furniture brought. I have a personal designer who will design the room to your liking. I will also send the butler out to by you some new dresses. If there is anything you would like, just ask and it is yours." Isaac looked up the girl. "Also, what if your name. I would like not to have to call you girl."

"My name is Annabelle Knight." She said quietly then sighed softly. On the bright side at least there would be a bit of customization for her. She looked thoughtful for a while, as she still did not touch her food. She looked up at him with slight hesitance, a sadness still present within her. "Can my new dresses have pockets?" She asked gently.

Isaac raised an eyebrow and gave her a small smile before looking back down to take a bite of his food. "Strange request but yes, if you would prefer. We can get you as many dresses with pockets you desire. Also, if you would like, we can have a room made for you to make dresses. As I recall, you said you are from the dress shop. If you would rather make your own clothes, you can have the finest fabrics and things for it."

"And Annabelle, very beautiful name. Feel free to call me Isaac." He looked back up at her and gave his head a small bow to show respect.

The butler came and took the plate from Isaac and filled his drink once more. "Please feel free to eat. Everything was freshly bought this morning."

"No thank you. I'm not too hungry in the mornings." She lied. "A dress room might be nice. Or a library, stories are always a nice escape." She seemed to be talking to herself mostly, as if trying to believe the words she was saying but not being able to entirely. She pushed away her plate and sighed, she looked at her hands again, one clasped around the other.

"Then you will have one and we can get you your own personal library. Right now we do have one and also the drawing room has been turned into a small one." The butler came and took away her plate and bowed to her. He left the room silently, leaving the two of them alone together. Isaac leaned forward and intertwined his finger and rested his head on them. He took in the sight of Annabelle and realized that she was a very pretty girl. She would be prettier if she didn't have tear stains on her cheek and swollen eyes from crying. He felt horrible and had to look away from her.

"I know this is hard and I once again have to apologize. I don't know what else to do with you and I can't loose everything I have left because you entered my home and went through things. This here is all I have left of her and I can't loose this too." He rose from his chair . "Come, I will show you the room i have. You can pick the one you like. The designer will be here soon and she will be able to help you with everything." He walked up to her and held out his arm for her to take. He was unsure if she would but his manner taught him to always be respectful.

She looked at him warily before she took in a deep breath and decided to take his hand. "I know you don't believe me but I wouldn't have told anyone." She said quietly as she finally looked up at him. "But I don't understand why you like this house so much. It is so far away from life, from people. How can you be happy here?" She asked, her mind starting to process everything. "You seem to be as much of a captive as I am." She said, though she was not impolite, merely observant. "But I suppose I should be thankful for you giving me a room at all." She said to herself thoughtfully.

At first Isaac didn't want to say anything but if she was going to stay here, she should learn the truth, "My wife...she died in childbirth and the child with her. This house is all I have left of her. I bought it for her when we married." He lead her up the stares and towards the rooms that were mostly empty in the large house. "And yes... this house is my cage. As for happiness, I don't deserve it. You know that now and that is why I had no choice...."

The finally made it to the first room. "Go head and take a look around. There are three rooms that are empty. Pick which one for your courters, one for you sewing room and one for your library." He let go of her hand and took a step back so she could look. He placed his hand behind his back and held on while standing straight. It had been such a long time since he had been around anyone, he was loosing his manners.

Annabelle picked the medium sized room for her library, the room with the most windows and the biggest for her bedroom and the room with the second most to make her dresses and sketch, it seemed big enough for both. She didn't understand why he would want to stay in the house that him and his wife should have had together. It all seemed much too sad and depressing. Annabelle dreaded the thought of living here in the home that held such a wretched spirit. She wondered if maybe she could convince him to try and move forward? She shook her head. Why bother trying, she would be stuck here either way, and she might just end up making him mad. But then again, she always believed that people could change. "Would your former wife have wanted you to live here forever?" She turned around and looked at him, she asked him seriously, wondering what kind of woman she was exactly, and if this was another thing he was doing on her behalf.

A question like that would anger most but he only chuckled. "No, she would not. She would hate to see me here. I can even hear her scolding me for being so stupid but... this is all i have left and it is what I deserve. I choice my fate when her life ended." He turned away from her and headed back to the stairs. There was knock on the door and he knew who it was. His designer had come as he requested. She lived two towns from here and left the moment he sent for her.

He dreaded her coming but he knew that she was the finest in this side of the country. Every time she came and visited, she would always beg him to be with her. He declined every time and even had to throw her out. She was a scandal waiting to happen with some poor man. Thankful Isaac was smart enough to not let it be him.

"I shall warn you about my friend who has arrive. She is very.....loud. We shall meet her in the drawing room." Isaac led the way to the downstairs drawing room where he typically would sit and read. "Please have a seat while we wait for Ms. Olivia." He pointed to the chair his wife would sit in. It would be strange seeing another women sit in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back