• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Beast Souls - Notes

SilverFlight

Tende altum, volare altius
Supporter
sharpteeth_by_kenket-dauw5iu.jpg

The NOTES!

This is a page for any random thing you'd like to share regarding the rp. Art, short stories, memes, character building bits etc.
Please refrain from chatting in this thread as it makes it much easier to browse all the awesome stuff that you guys put in here.

Thanks and happy posting!

- Silver

OOC

When Luruke "tries to" save Kioko

Man I just wanted to help out, and byörn was busy sorting out a redtail hawk tantrum. I was gonna find him, but thought he had his hands full, with that and guang fen pretty much interrupting them to join. Another interruption seemed like too much, and I wanted luruke to meet kioko.

Edit: oops sorry silver

Man I just wanted to help out, and byörn was busy sorting out a redtail hawk tantrum. I was gonna find him, but thought he had his hands full, with that and guang fen pretty much interrupting them to join. Another interruption seemed like too much, and I wanted luruke to meet kioko.

Edit: oops sorry silver
lol its all good, i'm just teasing :P

Polar Bear Calculations
Equations Used
force (N) = mass (kg) x acceleration (s^2)
1 Newton = 0.101972 kg-force = 0.22 lb-force
kgf = kilogram force and lbf = pound force

Wow if he were full polar bear weight, he could just go around methodically sitting on spiders. We'd have no problem then unless the spiders were even stronger than that

This post got me thinking, what was the true tangible strength of a polar bear. I know... nerdy as fuck right? But I had to know. So here we go...

So the question is how much force can a male polar bear produce?

Well, the typical male polar bear weights anywhere from 300 kg to 700 kg. For us Americans that's 772 lb to 1543 lbs. However the largest polar on record weighed in at 1002 kg or 2,209 fucking pounds. At full charge, a polar bear can reach up to speeds 40 km/h or 25 mph.

This means that a full speed charge from an adult male polar bear could generate forces between 900 and 2100 N and our massive polar friend could generate upward of 3000 N.

Scary stuff. But what about a polar bear paw swipe?

Well, the average human punches at 11 m/s to 14 m/s. Translation 25 mph to 32 mph. I am assuming that the average polar can swing faster than a human due to the fact that I have no data on a polar bear swing speed. The fastest human punch clocked at 19 m/s or 43 mph.

This means if a bear puts all its weight into a paw swipe, as they often do during mauling, and was swinging at human speeds the bear would be hitting with 3300 to 9800 N depending on the weight of the bear and the speed of the swipe. As for the massive polar bear swinging at peak, human speed would produce a force of 19000 N and remember there are five two-inch claws on that paw.

Moral of the story is don't fuck with polar bears. But I'm not done yet. It would be silly to assume that a polar bear would swing at humans speeds considering the fact that polar bears are twice as fast and four times as strong as humans. So what would be the most accurate calculation for the swiping strength of a polar bear?

My calculations show that an adult polar bear that weighed 300 to 700 kg would be able to produce a striking force of around 26200 N on average. That's 2671 kilograms of force or 5890 pounds of force. And as for our monster polar bear. His peak power would be somewhere around 76000 N, an eight-ton punch, you would be better off getting hit by a car (Not really the average car crash occurs around the speed of 30 mph and clocks in at 306566 N. Car > Polar Bear.)
To put this in perspective.

440 N (44 kgf or 99 lbf) is the force of an average human punch
2200 N (224 kgf or 494 lbf) is the force of an average martial artist punch
3000 N (306 kgf or 674 lbf) to fracture the spine
3300 N (336 kgf or 741 lbf) to break a human rib
4000 N (407 kgf or 899 lbf) to snap a human femur
4900 N (500 kgf or 1100 lbf) to crush a human skull
177,000 N (18000 kgf or 40000 lbf) to bend a 1x1" bar of mild solid steel.

These calculations give validity to certain eyewitness accounts of bear attacks. Keep in mind that grizzly bears are smaller and less aggressive than polar bears.

"According to his account, he witnessed a moose drinking from a stream when a Grizzly bear approached from the other side. Moose are very territorial, and they are especially known to attack anything they perceive to be a threat to their water source. The moose charged full speed across the stream, and just as it neared the bear, the bear stood up and with a quick motion swiped the moose in the side of the face. The moose's head became decapitated and flew a distance of fifteen to twenty feet....and quick as a spark on a fire the grizzly bear stood up and swatted the moose in the face. Why it was if you or I would swat a fly, but the impact seemed to me as loud as a gunshot."

And with that horrifying account, I conclude my polar bear research and calculations. Feel free to double check my work if you want, God knows I'm not perfect. I hope you enjoyed reading this. It took about two hours to put this all together. Well, good night BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Purize Purize SilverFlight SilverFlight
Onikmey Onikmey Larke Larke Baconhands Baconhands Dominaiscna Dominaiscna Raku Raku wendy wendy

Last edited:
I
Polar Bear Calculations
Equations Used
force (N) = mass (kg) x acceleration (s^2)
1 Newton = 0.101972 kg-force = 0.22 lb-force
kgf = kilogram force and lbf = pound force

This post got me thinking, what was the true tangible strength of a polar bear. I know... nerdy as fuck right? But I had to know. So here we go...

So the question is how much force can a male polar bear produce?

Well, the typical male polar bear weights anywhere from 300 kg to 700 kg. For us Americans that's 772 lb to 1543 lbs. However the largest polar on record weighed in at 1002 kg or 2,209 fucking pounds. At full charge, a polar bear can reach up to speeds 40 km/h or 25 mph.

This means that a full speed charge from an adult male polar bear could generate forces between 900 and 2100 N and our massive polar friend could generate upward of 3000 N.

Scary stuff. But what about a polar bear paw swipe?

Well, the average human punches at 11 m/s to 14 m/s. Translation 25 mph to 32 mph. I am assuming that the average polar can swing faster than a human due to the fact that I have no data on a polar bear swing speed. The fastest human punch clocked at 19 m/s or 43 mph.

This means if a bear puts all its weight into a paw swipe, as they often do during mauling, and was swinging at human speeds the bear would be hitting with 3300 to 9800 N depending on the weight of the bear and the speed of the swipe. As for the massive polar bear swinging at peak, human speed would produce a force of 19000 N and remember there are five two-inch claws on that paw.

Moral of the story is don't fuck with polar bears. But I'm not done yet. It would be silly to assume that a polar bear would swing at humans speeds considering the fact that polar bears are twice as fast and four times as strong as humans. So what would be the most accurate calculation for the swiping strength of a polar bear?

My calculations show that an adult polar bear that weighed 300 to 700 kg would be able to produce a striking force of around 26200 N on average. That's 2671 kilograms of force or 5890 pounds of force. And as for our monster polar bear. His peak power would be somewhere around 76000 N, an eight-ton punch, you would be better off getting hit by a car (Not really the average car crash occurs around the speed of 30 mph and clocks in at 306566 N. Car > Polar Bear.)
To put this in perspective.

440 N (44 kgf or 99 lbf) is the force of an average human punch
2200 N (224 kgf or 494 lbf) is the force of an average martial artist punch
3000 N (306 kgf or 674 lbf) to fracture the spine
3300 N (336 kgf or 741 lbf) to break a human rib
4000 N (407 kgf or 899 lbf) to snap a human femur
4900 N (500 kgf or 1100 lbf) to crush a human skull
177,000 N (18000 kgf or 40000 lbf) to bend a 1x1" bar of mild solid steel.

These calculations give validity to certain eyewitness accounts of bear attacks. Keep in mind that grizzly bears are smaller and less aggressive than polar bears.

"According to his account, he witnessed a moose drinking from a stream when a Grizzly bear approached from the other side. Moose are very territorial, and they are especially known to attack anything they perceive to be a threat to their water source. The moose charged full speed across the stream, and just as it neared the bear, the bear stood up and with a quick motion swiped the moose in the side of the face. The moose's head became decapitated and flew a distance of fifteen to twenty feet....and quick as a spark on a fire the grizzly bear stood up and swatted the moose in the face. Why it was if you or I would swat a fly, but the impact seemed to me as loud as a gunshot."

And with that horrifying account, I conclude my polar bear research and calculations. Feel free to double check my work if you want, God knows I'm not perfect. I hope you enjoyed reading this. It took about two hours to put this all together. Well, good night BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Purize Purize SilverFlight SilverFlight
Onikmey Onikmey Larke Larke Baconhands Baconhands Dominaiscna Dominaiscna Raku Raku wendy wendy
Ok so just sit on a spider, fat ass :P

The hawk people are an incredibly revered people in Thuehir. They are nomadic, and like the native americans, had several locations they would move to depending on the seasons, which had a very mild change in the relentless desert land. The people of the hawk tribe are known to be fierce predators, and one of the fastest bird species in existence, sporting the most precision with flying. However, the tribe is actually rather small in comparison to some of the other thuehir tribes. Currently, there are about 86 hawks living in the nomadic tribe. Most tribes in thuehir actually sit comfortable around 300 people. There are also very commonly very small nomadic tribes that have much more extensive migration patterns than the bigger ones.

From birth, Hawks are trained to fly. Even before they step, hawk children are thrown from cliffs to teach them how to dive and fall properly. The hawk people have crude gliders they provide to the children (most of the time) and luckily the vast majority of hawks survive their falls. They also go through other trials as they prepare to step. Hawk children are expected to begin hunting at age 6, first learning how to track, sneak, pounce and fight on the ground before taking to the air at older ages. It is not uncommon for the parents of children to take them deep into the desert and leave them to find their own ways home. The environment that they live in has forged them into a very powerful people, but to outsiders the traditions they uphold can be seen as strange and malevolent, even abusive.

It is not uncommon for hawk children to die in training. In every age class, there are about 3-9 hawks who die before reaching the time of their first stepping. The danger extends beyond the harsh environment: unlike the other lands, Thuehir's limited resources and deadly conditions account for constant fighting between tribes over water sources, nesting spots, hunting grounds and land minerals. One of the hawk tribes biggest rivals is the tribe of the Horned owl. The horned owls are fierce birds of prey, and while not as fast or agile as the hawk, fly in silence and are much bigger. Over the years, both parties have conducted raids on each others homes intending to kill the young, so as to bud the growth of the tribe.

Roughly about 7 months before the first stepping, the on the verge hawks travel into the desert with each other and must survive alone until they can step. This is the most dangerous and rigorous of tests: During this time, the pairs of hawks that grew up together must fight for survival by maintaining fresh water, hunting prey, crafting their own tools and make shift nests. This test takes place in the center of the desert, which is a rolling expanse of arid land, devoid of almost all water and food sources. Here, they survive, and step. Once the hawk child steps into their full animal form, they are permitted to return home on celebratory feathers. For each hawk that arrives home from their trial, a festival is held in their honor, done under moonlight with fire and traditional dances.

The hawk people are also craftsmen. They are known for working a unique metal native to Thuehir found only in the high rising plateaus that bathe in moonlight. A particular metal substance, called (need a name please), is known to be morphed at night, changed into a silvery alloy that the Hawks use to forge their weaponry. It is unclear to people what aspect of this metal gives it its seemingly magical qualities: The method of forging it has been passed down for generations through the hawks: but its secrets have been lost to time. The metal is incredibly hard but has unmatched toughness. The hawks weapons are light, sharp, and very durable. Any weapon forge by this material will last a warrior who wields it a lifetime: Unfortunately for shikoba, This metal only occurs one week the entire year. Towards the end of the season, Shikoba is forced to rely on his (name of metal) claws due to his shortage of (name of metal) feather blades.

In recent years, with the fighting between the the snakes of the desert and the hawks, A lot of old traditions have been "put on hold" for more war time activities. The hawk tribe is a largely collective group of people, with no formal leader, but the people look to one person for guidance, who they dub "The aviator". This person is chosen by the previous aviator before their death. The current aviator is Shikoba's father, who currently is the strategical mastermind behind the war on the snakes.

Last edited:
upload_2017-11-1_17-52-27.png

When Shikoba carries you off to fight a war when you just saved his ass.

GM? More like Great Mom
You could say we're all RPeas and carrots
Real Pals
Beast souls? More like beast goals

Okay I'll leave

Björn Shorts: The Arctic Recruits Pt.1

Björn stared through the frosted tavern window to the carpet of white that beckoned to him so enticingly. He began to reminisce on former memories of trudging through knee-high snow just to gain a vantage point on an unsuspecting enemy. Björn would revel in their surprise as he ambushed his opponent leading his comrades to victory...A finger quickly snapped before Björn's and brought him back to reality. Björn let out a low growl.

"Thyra best to watch who you're snapping them fingers at," Björn commented scolding his Lieutenant.

"My apologies General Björn, but you were drifting off again. Perhaps you have had too much to drink, you know what they say about polar bear men," Thyra responded with a wry smile.

Björn looked down at his mug still half full of delicious mead. Björn adored the small Grizzly Bear tavern for their iconic mead. He just couldn't get enough of the honey-based liquor.

"I can hold my liquor just fine. I'll have you know there isn't a grizzly alive who can go toe to toe with me when it comes to mead," Björn said as he downed the remaining half of his mug in an instant before slamming the empty glass down onto the wooden table, "Now what were you saying about the new recruits?"

The grizzly bear women look down at the empty glass with astonishment.

"The new recruits are waiting right outside the pub. They are quite the colorful bunch I'll tell you that much. However, I'm not quite sure if they will make suitable soldiers for your squadron."

This worried Björn. He trusted the judgment of his star pupil.

"I will bring them along with us to Imperial Palace and observe them until I'm comfortable with making a decision. What's the worst that could happen? Go bring them in so that I can see the faces of my new recruits."

Thyra let out a sigh as she stood up from the bar table and made her way to the door. Björn looked to the Grizzly barmaid.

"Darling, another round of that sweet mead!"

Polar Bears of Byernheim

The Polar Bears of Byerheim hold a great deal of power and influence in the northern regions of Taman. The polar bears' territorial nature led to the foundation of several settlements scattered throughout the icy planes of Byerheim. Over time some of these settlements grew into polar bear strongholds creating large social hubs for the arctic animals of Byerheim, two of which being Beira and Aurora. The numerous polar bear settlements that align themselves with these strongholds formally refer to themselves as the Polar Bears of Byernheim.

Polar bear culture revolves around a strong sense of community and territorialism. With no predators to speak of the Polar Bears of Byernheim have been able to focus on growing their alliance and expanding their territories. Stepping holds profound importance in polar bear culture. Once a child learns to wear their soul, surviving in the brutal conditions of Byernheim becomes far easier. Settlement leaders often push the young to learn the art of stepping as quickly as they can, and those who learn to wear their soul the quickest often rise to ranks of power. The primary weapon of the polar bears and a major symbol of power is the barbed spear which allows flexibility between hunting, fishing, and combat.

Traders and merchants are highly regarded in polar bear society for the wealth that they amass. Fishers who supply settlements with seal and walrus meat are also invaluable as are hunters who track the mute animals of the frozen landscape.The lush tundras of Byerheim have also produced several master carpenters. However, the most esteem of polar bear society are the crusaders, polar bear warriors who explore and conquer new territory for the alliance, as well as protect the settlements of from foreign threats.

Let the fanart begin.....
(This is just brainstorm practice, not a finished product, so please forgive the quality ;w; )
IMG_8729.JPG

I've been meaning to do this for a long time (in better quality but oh well, here are a derp art)

Math art.jpg

Drawn on the back of a math test
One can tell that I don't take math too seriously
Can you tell who's who? (Silver is my favorite XD)
I only had time to shade in Brendan, lmaoo

Annnd here's some moar

pigeondor.jpg

Here you can see the great pigeon gryffindor, majestic in its contemplation

At its side are an Onikmey and a Kioko

There are two tiny hummingbird gryffindors, and a snack

Lastly, a bearded vulture and a screaming doge

Now that I know we can have multiple characters, I've made a few ideas :>
My camera's really bad, hope you can see em
Actually maybe that's not the main issue
They're all really messy sketches and my handwriting's near illegible so have fun with that XD I'm sorry
I don't want to get too attached to unborn characters so I make them sketchy q v q

20171109_210238.jpg

I made another rp that no one has shown solid interest in. This is one of the characters I made for it: Alice, the whitethroated needletail swift. She wouldn't fit with her clothes in BSoT, but I could change that if I ever wanted her to play in this rp (of course with Silver's permission). She's tiny, fast, awkward, and of cantonese descent. She could possibly be a self insert, who knows

In that rp, I was also thinking of making a mockingbird character who could mimick voices and trick people, or an albatross who could fly for weeks or longer. They would make cool characters here though : D

Then there's Thielle, who's european. She has soft brown hair, and she's a bunny. She's lazy, has bad eyes, super weak and useless but has great hearing, so I think she would make a great scout in Beast Souls.

Then there's Andimi, or Dimi for short. I think she should be russian. She's a deer and a plant eater but ruthless and great with the bow.

20171109_210246.jpg

By this point I realize that I've gotten too excited with this and made far too many possible characters, and all female at that, but it's for fun anyway.
Here is Keka Yirelli, the only character I've made with a last name. I messed up on her face but oh well.. She's a Springbok, which come from Africa (So she'll be south African). Does anyone know what springbok are? They're a sort of gazelle I think, and they have super fluffy butts, it's adorable XD
But Keka, she's not soft in any way. She's rude, snarky, and likes to humiliate people to the point of exile. She can jump really high, and she's lithe and flexible. She was going to be a guy, but I decided against it because I wanted to make her have big boobs. None of my other characters have them, lol.

Lastly, there's the little raccoon boy that Raku Raku and I wanted to do, and I decided to name him Riley. Raccoons are native to NA, so I made him mexican, with curly black hair. I made a short bio for him, too:

Riley's parents died three years ago, attacked by thieves on the main road to the city. His mother whispered to hide, just as she saw them approaching. He hid in the bushes and covered himself with leaves, and he watched as his parents gave their lives for him. He was eight years old.

His parents had a poor background and little education, but despite it, they still wanted a family. When he arrived, his parents were overjoyed, but they now had another mouth to feed. Thus, they went from petty work to thievery. His father would be the diversion, and his mother with her light fingers would be the liberator. They were an excellent team, but they were always afraid of getting caught. If they were caught, how would their son fare?

Nevertheless, they sold what they could, and subsisted off of the payoff for as long as possible before having to turn to thievery again. In the interim, they were a happy bunch. They would often forage for food to supplement their diet. His mother would prepare him for when he could step into his other form, and his father would tell lively stories of adventure as they ate their harvest, now a feast, by a small woodfire. This little traveling family was happy with their lives, and never intended to change it. Riley never wanted for anything, and they slept under the stars.

Until that day. They were traveling along the main road, pockets jingling with an exceptionally lucky catch. Riley's parents managed to distract a nobleman and relieve him of his jewelry, and Riley had admired them for a long time, the bright things. Now they were on their way to Xiong Shi to sell them, and he swung between his parents arms as they laughed and talked of what they would buy. Delicious food, new shoes. A new knife.

Suddenly, his mother pricked an ear. "Riley", she whispered, "Hide."

Riley tensed in fear, hearing the heavy footsteps approach, and ran off. He always listened to his parents. He scrambled around a hedge and burrowed under the leaf mold. It was cool and damp, with the smell of earth and spice. He watched through the gaps between the branches. Soon, a large man wearing the appearance of a boar approached his parents, sharp tusks protruding. He towered over them by two and a half feet.

His parents acted casually, bidding him a good day. He responded brusquely, demanding the jewels that they had just taken. "I saw you", he sneered, "so don't play dumb." The hilt of a sword could be seen poking up from his back, scabbard nearly touching the floor.

They handed it all over, and never so much as glanced in Riley's direction. The man snatched it up with a glaze in his eyes. He looked at them greedily. "Is that all?" He looked them both over, eyes groping. "You really are a poor lot... how disgusting. But", he paused, "I think I'll take one more."

With an evil glint to his eye, his head swiveled to meet Riley's eyes, peeking through the bush. His snout twitched, and he laughed. "Seems that there's those who are in need of children, who'll pay a lovely price. Who am I to reject their generosity?"

With a scream, his mother flew at the man. Taken by surprise, she buried her knife into his stomach, and he let out a horrible roar. His father was a blur as he slashed his hamstrings, and his father was a blur as the man grabbed him by the head and flung him against a tree.

Riley was frozen with fear, his eyes pried open, his neck cemented into place. His insides were water, his heart stopped beating. He watched as his parents attacked again and again, with the single minded determination and love, love for their son that they both shared, that they loved about each other. His mother screamed for him to run, but he could not. How could he run when this man, this horrible monster, battered and bashed them again and again?

In the end, his parents killed that man, but the man killed them as well. Riley unthawed and ran sobbing to the two bodies that lay on the road, his world that lay dying on the road. He knelt and shook their shoulders, calling for them, tears distorting his words. His father was still, hand reaching towards his mother. His mother turned her head slightly and gazed at him with love. She smiled softly, let out a sigh, and closed her eyes.

Riley knelt there until the moon rose, until the sun rose after it. He knelt until he lost the feeling in his legs, until his tears were wrung from his eyes, leaving only an emptiness behind. He knelt until his parents went from hot, to warm, to cold. He knelt until he heard the distant approach of travelers on the road, and then at last he rose.

Small as he was, he dragged their bodies to the side, and liberated them of all he could carry. His mother's knife, pouch, and belt. His father's tools. He snipped locks of their hair and placed them into the glass vials his father would carry, corking them tightly. He took his mother's cloak, his father's vest... Until he was weighed down and enveloped with their memories.

He gathered grasses and moss and covered them with it. Late-blooming flowers, fragrant herbs. When at last only their faces remained, he gave them a kiss, and covered them up. He placed his father's hand into his mother's, and then he ran.

It's been 4 years since then. His parents taught him well, and he survived off of the bounty of the forest, and occasionally stole from passing travelers as he traveled in the capital city. He learned to step into half animal, and then full animal, with his mother's old advice. After learning how, he seldom returned to human form. Over time, the initial ache of loss receded... But he was always lonely, and became fearful. Perhaps he was always fearful, but never noticed. His pillars of strength were gone, and his initial hesitance grew into a monster of anxiety.

His last memory is of sneaking into a tavern room to take a wallet, but soon after, there was noise and fire and chaos. He feels heat, and smoke, and wonders if he'll see his parents soon... But then he feels cool night air and a floating sensation, and all is dark.

Whoooooooaaa that is not a short bio, more like his life's story. But yeah, there's Riley. Hope you guys enjoyed it, the angsty trash panda goods. If Silver approves, I'll be making it more detailed though, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back