"Augs Lives Matter" controversy

TeaMMatE11

The Ninja. Now you see me, Now you don't.
In case you didn't know, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has a piece of concept art that has a banner saying "Augs Lives Matter."  A lot of people are calling the dev team "Insensitive to modern day events."

Deus Ex was in development before "Black lives matter."

What do you guys think of the whole situation?

I mean, if it were a joke or something on an advertisement, it'd be all cool.

However, if it's a part of the actual game, then it'd be a little weird. "X Lives Matter" has become a meme of sorts.

I mean, if it were a joke or something on an advertisement, it'd be all cool.

However, if it's a part of the actual game, then it'd be a little weird. "X Lives Matter" has become a meme of sorts.

It's not a joke though.  It's all over the net.

I think its one of those rare, real coincidences.That said, I think this is getting a lot more attention then it should. After all, BLM has a history of finding, and inventing, new ways to be offended by things. If anyone follows the actions of the group, its pretty easy to see this in their CSU-LA protest against Ben Shapiro, or their conference crashing of Milo Yiannopoulos. And now they are accusing Dues Ex of insensitivity, for the use of a slogan that they claim, even though it predates their movement? 

38973-weak-shit-miss-me-with-that.gif

I think its one of those rare, real coincidences.That said, I think this is getting a lot more attention then it should. After all, BLM has a history of finding, and inventing, new ways to be offended by things. If anyone follows the actions of the group, its pretty easy to see this in their CSU-LA protest against Ben Shapiro, or their conference crashing of Milo Yiannopoulos. And now they are accusing Dues Ex of insensitivity, for the use of a slogan that they claim, even though it predates their movement? 

38973-weak-shit-miss-me-with-that.gif

On top of that, people are saying that you shouldn't be given a choice to help the Augs or oppress them.  People are calling this insensitive because we, as a player, HAVE A CHOICE.  That's like saying in Skyrim, "Oh hey, the stormcloaks are the good guys!" and the game forces you to join even though you think the Leigon is in the right.

People don't understand that it's fucking CONCEPT ART FOR A FUCKING VIDEOGAME.

The development of Mankind Divided is roughly concurrent with the rise of BLM.  By the time art using the slogan was released, BLM had been around for three years. Given the prior use of 'mechanical apartheid' in marketing, it seems ridiculous that anyone involved in the project was unaware of the media coverage surrounding BLM and it was almost certainly an effort to drive clicks if not controversy - people opposed would provide outrage coverage, while the usual suspects would praise the game largely to spite opposition.

I would not hold the devs accountable, given the infamous meddling of Square-Enix executives and the disastrous marketing ploys. The slogan appears in game, and alongside the use of phrase mechanical apartheid, it creates an allegorical link with real issues of racism and campaigns for civil rights which I think was misguided but the devs seemed to genuinely intend on addressing these issues.  For whatever reason, however, the game ultimately makes no statement on the matter - not only do they leave it up to the player, they ensure both sides of the debate are equally ethically ambiguous. 

I am inclined to put this one on the executives; making a definitive political statement is bad business in the current climate, but pretension to meaning by namedropping real events is a good way to get attention.

their conference crashing of Milo Yiannopoulos

By all accounts, Milo doesn't believe a word he says, but the guy does absolutely try to cozy up with white supremacists. Not just dog-whistling types like a terrifying swathe of Trump-supporters; actual, proud, open white supremacists. I don't know how this conference crash went down (gonna go look it up in a sec), but it's hard to feel any sympathy for Milo and his cronies. 

The youtuber Rags has a video on this, and he can explain this situation far better than I can.

Rags demonstrates in the first five minutes he has no idea what he's talking about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back