• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom AtLA: Book of Change [Closed]

Lucyfer

Said you'd die for me, well -- there's the ground
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Zuko’s hair was lost. He’d cut the topknot some time ago, and let his hair start to grow in a style unbecoming of royalty.

His title of Prince was lost, heir to the throne of the Fire Lord.

Even his name would have to be lost, if he wanted any hope of avoiding his father’s forces, as he understood he had to go into hiding. Azula had taken his place as heir, and it seemed his father had chosen to forsake him. He was a wanted man now in the Fire Nation, along with his uncle Iroh, who walked alongside him.

“You know,” Iroh began, “Lee is a common name.”

Zuko sighed, as the village they were stopping in came into sight. The White Lotus had promised them that they would be met here by another member of their group, and provided with the paperwork they needed to pass into Ba Sing Se like anyone else from the Earth Kingdom. Zuko did need to decide on a name for that documentation, though. That was the problem.

“In the Fire Nation it is,” he muttered, “what are you using?” he glanced over at his uncle, no longer in the regal red robes of his position. No, he was now wrapped in a green robe, with a brown belt around his waist.

Zuko hadn’t succumbed to the green, but his brown and beige attire left plenty to be desired in style, in his not at all humble opinion.

“I haven’t decided,” he said, “there’s so many options,” he looked up at the sky, as if expecting it would give him an answer, but the clouds were bereft of information.

Zuko adjusted the pack on his back. ‘Lee.’ All he could think of from that was Ty Lee, his sister’s friend. He didn’t really want to be a Lee, but his mind was blanking on anything else. He didn’t want to be anyone other than Zuko, anyone other than himself, but…he wasn’t even sure he knew who he was right then.

Not after Azula nearly killed Iroh, and tried to take both of them prisoner.

He clearly wasn’t Prince, though he’d built his entire identity around becoming Fire Lord, one day.

He had to find another path.

‘Lee.’ He almost sighed in resignation as they entered the village and looked around, “Do you remember where we’re supposed to go?”

“Hm,” Iroh frowned as he looked around the houses, there still a bit of traffic outside. It wasn’t quite evening, though almost. “No,” he said, “I’ve never been in this village before, but I am sure one of the locals can help!” he beamed, and too cheerfully approached a young woman with green mixed into her brown hair, before Zuko could consider stopping him.

“Excuse me, miss – oh!” Iroh lit up as he caught a whiff of something delicious, and his gaze went down to see the scones and breads she held, “those smell quite good.”

Zuko didn’t smell them at all as he drew closer, frowning down at his uncle for being led by his stomach once again.

“Do they happen to be for sale? My nephew and I – Lee – such a handsome lad isn’t he? We’ve been traveling all day with hardly a bite to eat,” apparently Iroh was very willing to throw Zuko to the wolves if it helped, and Zuko just folded his arms over his chest and rolled his eyes.

“Yes, yes we are hungry, but you don’t want to eat and upset our host, do you, Mushi?” he saw the twitch of irritation from his uncle’s eye and knew he picked a wonderfully terrible name for him. Good. “Sorry to bother you, miss—”

“—but do you know where the Knotweed Inn, is? I’m meeting my dear old friend, Tosha – but I’m sure she’d also be willing to buy these, for breakfast,” Iroh couldn’t help but try and wheedle his way into getting a snack.

Zuko sighed, obviously embarrassed as he palmed his face.

~***~

Zarine found herself approaching Omashu – or New Ozai, as Azula had dubbed it – with substantial uncertainty. The eel hound beneath her had faithfully carried her this far from Shen Guan, where she received her orders. Omashu had already fallen without the help of Shen Guan’s forces, thanks to Azula.

Yet it was Azula’s failures that now brought her through the walls of Omashu, for she had failed both to capture the Avatar, and to bring her brother and uncle back to the Fire Nation as fugitives. Ozai decided that he needed Azula to have someone besides her friends around her, to keep her in line, and on track.

Apparently, that unenviable task fell to her.

So, she arrived in the city, and stabled the eel hound she’d taken to calling Abaya, before approaching the palace she knew was now under the management of the Fire Nation, some important family that Zarine couldn’t really be bothered to remember much about. Just the name of the head of the family, Ukano.

The sealed letter from Ozai was all she needed to show to the palace guards at Omashu to be granted entrance, though she was directed to wait in the entrance hall. She stood at ease, her weapons not taken from her, and casually looked over the structure of the Fire Nation palace. There was nothing terribly interesting about it, of course, but she had little else to do as she simply waited until not Azula, but governor Ukano came forward.

His dark hair was starting to gray, and he looked tired, to say the least. Ragged.

The events had clearly taken their toll on him. “Forgive me for keeping you waiting, Lieutenant. I was not told to expect you – however can I help?” the symbol of her position was new, but worn upon her armor. Ukano clearly recognized it, though she wouldn’t have been upset if he didn’t.

“There is no apology necessary,” Zarine answered, voice quiet but easily heard in the otherwise silent entrance hall, “I am here only to see Princess Azula. I was informed she is a guest of yours.” Zarine held out the sealed letter, but not in offering, only to show where her orders came from.

Ukano eyed it, “Ah, I can take that to her for you,” he stepped forward, but she retracted it, and tucked it away once more.

“I am afraid I have direction to give this directly to Azula herself.” Zarine sounded almost apologetic, as she added, “Please tell Princess Azula that a letter from her father has arrived. I can wait at her pleasure wherever you would be willing to place me.” Obviously, she couldn’t order Azula to see her, though the letter should be sufficient enough to get Azula moving.

Ukano looked like he was disagreeably stuck, but he sighed in defeat his own situation, “Very well, very well, let me see you to our lounge, and I will let the Princess know of this,” he said, and did indeed take her to a lounge. She was left without guards in the room, and so she went to explore the contents of the room, eventually settling her naginata against a wall by a bookshelf after she pulled a tome called the Pearls of Laghima off one of the shelves and settled onto the couch to read through the book while she did, indeed, wait on Azula to deign it appropriate to come and get the letter from her father.

She didn’t know if it would be a long wait, or a short wait.

Royalty was unpredictable, and she heard mixed stories about Azula.

The weather permitted travel that day, which was perfect for Safira, as she traveled from Ba Sing Se to her little village she still called home. She had a late start to the day, finishing up work obligations she promised (she just had to get that sourdough starter just perfect, after all), after which she set out on the road.

The travel between the city and her village took nearly half a day, so when she arrived, the sun started to get low on the horizon. Daylight would still linger a while longer, but she wanted to make sure to arrive at the village before dark fell and creatures of the night came out and haunted the forest that surrounded the road.

And so she did. People were still walking about, some heading home for the evening, and others going to the local inn, the only place in the village where one could grab a drink.

Safira was caught off guard by an older man approaching her and asking about the baked goods she held in her basket. She looked down at the basket, up to his nephew (which she would agree that he was rather cute), and then back at the man, Mushi.

He didn’t quite look like a Mushi.

“I didn’t make these to sell, so I would feel bad for selling a few to two hungry travelers.” Whether or not he was telling the truth, they did look rather worn out, and she hadn’t seen them around the village before, so they were obviously new.

She pulled back the cloth that covered her baked goods and revealed the contents - bread baked that morning and fruit tarts made to perfection - to Mushi and Lee, the aroma stronger than before. “Please, feel free to take one.” Anyone in the village knew how much she loved to share her goods.

Upon Mushi’s inquiry, Safira nodded. “Just a coincidence, I need to pass by the Knotweed Inn in order to get home, so I can show you the way!”

~~~

Perfect. Everything must be perfect.

Everything had to be perfect.

Not a single hair could be out of place. Not a single wrinkle in her clothes. She had to look and be the perfect daughter and heir to the Fire Nation throne.

Omashu, now better named New Ozai, was under their grasp now, in its rightful place.

But the occasion for why Azula was there wasn’t a cheerful one. She had messed up. She had been less than perfect.

She had failed to capture the Avatar or her traitorous brother and uncle. How hard could a boy, a failed fire bender, and an old man be to capture after all?

Yet they proved somewhat formidable by escaping, and now she would suffer the consequences of it.

The wait of wondering why her father called her there created a mountain of anxiety within her, which threatened to manifest in the form of attacking the next person who spoke to her.

And she almost did to the one who brought her news that her father sent a letter for her. That was never a good sign. Oh how she wanted to scorch the very room she resided in! Azula composed herself, and looked away from Ukano. Someone to directly give her the letter. Of course.

Her father wanted to make sure she got the letter. No doubt his disappointment would be evident in his words.

“Send them in,” she demanded. No use in waiting around and delaying the inevitable. Get it over with as soon as possible, so she could continue on with her mission. “Wait, no, take me to them.” That would be faster.

“Of course, Your Highness,” Ukano said rather nervously before leading her to the lounge. The lounge where Zarina relaxed with a book.

“Do you often touch things that are not yours?” Azula asked, impatience clear in her tone. Not that she really cared for the tome the stranger read. “I heard you have a letter from my father.”

The baked goods did look quite enticing, especially after eating many terribly unseasoned foods the past few days. Zuko wanted to resist the act of pity, but Iroh didn’t even hesitate, taking two, and offering one to him so he didn’t have to make the reach himself. Zuko sighed, but took the bread offered.

“Thank you,” Iroh smiled, “a shame we cannot sit and enjoy some fragrant tea with this fragrant bread, but I shall cherish this moment all the same,” and have tea in the inn once he had settled, while the flavors still lingered in his memory.

It seemed they also had a guide to the inn, and Zuko took a bite of the bread as well. His expression contorted in surprise at how good it was, and he snapped up another bite, before reeling in his sense of dignity and reminding himself not to eat so hastily. Even if he really wanted to just devour it.

Then it would be all gone. “Mph—Thank you,” he said after that second bite as they walked alongside her. That was polite.

Iroh still chuckled as if he’d flubbed something. Or it could be a normal chuckle. Hard to tell. “Where were if not home baking these delicious breads? Do you have a shop here I could come by in the morning?” Iroh, ever thinking with his stomach. Zuko supposed it wouldn’t be bad to take a treat with them in the morning to Ba Sing Se, though.

~***~

The door opened, and Zarine looked up from her book to see Ukano in the background, and the Princess Azula striding forward. The man backed out, no doubt aware he wasn’t wanted there, and shut the door behind them as Azula demanded an answer to inane question about Zarine just reading a book.

True, she didn’t have explicit permission, but Azula didn’t know that.

“Yes,” Zarine answered, shutting the book, an answer to both the statement of the letter, and touching things that weren’t hers. Her mind could think of another thing she’d like to touch that wasn’t hers right then, but she repressed that thought.

She always did, even if it warmed her cheeks as the terrible thought bubbled into her mind, ‘Why couldn’t Azula be spoiled ugly?’ No, the princess was spoiled beautiful, and suddenly this job became immensely more difficult before it even began.

But, most people saw what they wanted.

Zarine hoped Azula would see embarrassment at being caught lounging, as she pulled the letter from her small sack and held it out to Azula, the seal intact, “From Lord Ozai, your grace,” she already knew the contents of it. Not word for word, but she knew it did indeed express disappointment, before indicating that Zarine would be sticking with her to make sure Azula wasn’t playing nice just because Zuko was her brother.

To make sure she did her job.

Safira always took satisfaction in the reactions she garnered from those who tasted her baked goods for the first time. It was such a pleasant feeling! There was nothing better than a warm, freshly baked piece of bread with a little honey butter on it…

She gave them both a smile, nodding her head in acknowledgement at their thanks. “I believe that bread goes best with jasmine tea, but that is just my biased opinion.” She almost wanted to give them another piece of bread or tart after she dropped them off at the inn, for they looked every part the weary traveler they claimed to be.

“Unfortunately, I don’t have a shop. I work at a bakery in Ba Sing Se. I’m just here to visit my parents for a few days, and these are for them,” she gestured to the basket. A thought crossed her mind as she considered Mushi. There was just something about him that warmed her to him immensely.

Maybe his jovial attitude. Or his appreciation for her breads.

“It wouldn’t be an inconvenience though to bake up a fresh batch for you and your nephew to take tomorrow on your journey.” She assumed they were leaving in the morning. No one stayed long in her village. Only ever passing through to get to a bigger destination.

~~~

Azula raised a brow at the woman, unimpressed with her already. Lounging when she held a missive from her father. Reading what wasn’t hers.

At least she somewhat acknowledged her social faux pas with that blush on her cheeks.

She marched up to the woman and grabbed the letter from her, only all too eager to open it with a tear and read over the words her father wrote her.

Shame flooded her. Shame, embarrassment, then anger, and rage.

I wasn’t good enough.

I’m getting a babysitter.

The letter crumpled under her grip before she hurled a fireball at the wall, burning some tapestry she couldn’t care less about. “I’m getting a babysitter?” she raged, looking back at Zarine. “And why you? Why did he send you?”

Perhaps she was to send word back to her father of every little move Azula makes. Any move that is not perfectly in line.

Jasmine tea would indeed go well with it, and Iroh hummed agreement, “A woman of culture,” he surmised as they continued their walk. At the mention of the bakery, his brows lifted, “What bakery? We are heading that way ourselves,” what luck! “I hope to open my own tea shop, one day.”

Zuko rolled his eyes, but managed not to speak. ‘A tea shop. Of all things….’ It didn’t surprise him, but it annoyed him. Iroh was a great general! A prince! And this was all he wanted out of life now. It was pathetic in a way.

Not that Zuko even knew what he wanted anymore. What was more pathetic?

“We would certainly appreciate any bread you could spare, and when we get situated in Ba Sing Se—”

“—we’ll pay you back for all the expenses incurred on our behalf,” Zuko interjected, even if it wasn’t needed.

Iroh chuckled, “And I’ll introduce you to the finest tea you’ve ever had!” As if it would be that easy.

~***~

Zarine watched Azula’s face as she read. She watched her posture, and knew when the rage boiled over and the fireball destroyed a tapestry that definitely wasn’t hers. The hypocrisy wasn’t even surprising; royalty was just that way. They owned everything, so it didn’t matter what they destroyed.

It seems Zarine really was going to be needed to keep her in line.

Azula demanded answers, and Zarine offered what thought appropriate, “It is not my place to question the Fire Lord’s orders, princess. The briefing that he gave me indicated that he would only send someone he thought capable of standing up to your temper, so you could be talked down from the heights of your blinding furies which he believed to be the source of your problems. I did not ask for additional clarification or reason.”

Though Azula had just proven how much she let her temper rule her. Little more needed to be said, although perhaps it needed to be proven. Zarine wasn’t looking forward to it if Azula thought the latter.

She didn’t really want to get burned by blue fire, or stricken by lightning.

Nor did she want to see more rage on Azula's face when she learned her father wasn't wrong in his judgment about Zarine.

Safira grinned when it was mentioned they were heading towards Ba Sing Se themselves. Not surprising, of course. “The name of the bakery is Mori’s Bakes. It’s just me and the owner, but some of the best baked goods you’ll find in the city, in my humble opinion.” And not at all biased opinion.

She hummed in thought for a brief second. “You know, that’s a funny coincidence. Next door to the bakery is a tea shop, and I believe the owner is looking for someone to take over for him. Pao Family Tea House, if you wanted to look it up when you get there.” He wouldn’t exactly own it, but it’ll be close!

The nephew Lee mentioned paying her back for anything she gave them. He didn’t talk much, she surmised, and it seemed that his uncle was the one who did all the talking. Not that it mattered.

But she did wonder what his story was that gave him the scar.

“Oh, don’t worry about paying me back!” Safira had to wonder if they had any money at all anywhere. “Just look me up in Ba Sing Se, and introduce me to that finest tea, and we’ll call it even.”

She paused in front of a building before turning towards them. “Here’s Knotweed Inn! I hope you enjoy your time with your friend. Will you just be staying for tonight?”

~~~

Azula’s initial instinct was to get angry again at Zarine’s words, for daring to speak to her like that, but the mention of her father, and what he believed was the source of her problems, silenced her.

She had to get rid of those problems. She had to do what was needed so she could have a clear enough mind to catch the avatar and her own brother and uncle.

Really, it was embarrassing that she hadn’t captured them yet.

Her face calmed, yet the whispered promise of fury shimmered under her skin. “If that is the case, then I hope that means you are more capable than the average soldier.” Maybe she was someone who wouldn’t be so easily defeated.

Of course, very few could match up to Azula.

“Did my father mention anything else to you before sending you on your way to play babysitter?” It was embarrassing.

Iroh would indeed commit that bakery to memory and make sure to stop by it. “A tea shop? Really?” Iroh was genuinely excited. How were they not collaborating already? Or maybe they were. Maybe he could convince them, if they weren’t yet. “What good fortune! Isn’t it, Lee?”

“Uh, yeah,” Zuko agreed, hardly paying enough attention to the conversation, as he continued to eat his bread slowly. That took more restraint and focus.

“I will introduce you to all of the finest teas, I promise,” Iroh agreed to the terms. “What is your name?” he realized he hadn’t gotten it, and it could be important for getting her tea, or buying delicious foods from her in the future. “We will only be here for the night, then we are on our way. My nephew and I don’t really have the luxury of being able to travel for pleasure.”

He doubted he needed to explain haste in this situation, with the world at war. Zuko’s scar likely did them more favors in that regard. Anyone scarred by fire would want to get away from the war and to peace, quickly.

“But we appreciate the pleasure you’ve given us at this point, and your kindness.”

Zuko just glanced to the door of the inn, wanting to hurry up and go inside, apparently.

~***~

Azula didn’t challenge Zarine outright to a duel. She was relieved by that, but didn’t relax overmuch. There was still plenty of fury glinting in Azula’s eyes, after all. “I defeated Captain Asuri in an Agni Kai. I do not know if that name means anything to you, but it seemed to mean enough to your father.”

She didn’t actually know if Asuri was that notable, although she assumed so, given the task laid out in front of him to eventually conquer Omashu, a job given over to another after his defeat. Perhaps it would ease Azula to know, if she considered Asuri worth noting.

If not, it was likely just to irk her further.

Azula asked for more, and Zarine resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the information seeking. What more did she expect? The letter laid it all out. The ridiculousness of it caused Zarine to allow a touch of humor in the answer, “Only to make sure you’re tucked in at night, read a goodnight story, and kissed on the forehead while he’s not here to look after you, princess.”

She managed to keep her face straight saying it, but the expression started to break into a suppressed grin afterwards.

Well, she didn’t dream of doing comedy as an actress for that reason, really. She always broke too easily at a joke. Never mind that she wouldn't mind kissing Azula goodnight.

Safira couldn’t help but to smile at Mushi’s enthusiasm for tea. It was almost contagious, though she could see that his nephew didn’t hold a similar opinion. War changes people though. Some people got more serious, and others enjoyed the simpler things in life.

“Oh!” she exclaimed upon realizing that she did not in fact give them her name. “I’m Safira!” She turned to look at them better. “And you’re Lee and Mushi, right?” She pointed at Zuko and Iroh, respectively, as she recalled what they called one another. “Unless there’s another name you would prefer for me to call you!”

She nodded at them, understanding not being able to travel for pleasure. Not many could nowadays for their own reasons, many due to the war. “If you need anything before you leave…just ask around for me. Everyone in this village knows everyone.” And someone was bound to point them in her direction.

Lee seemed rather impatient to get inside.

“Well, I hope you find whom you’re looking for! I hope we meet again,” she said with a slight bow before turning to leave the two to their destination.

~~~

Azula said nothing at the feat of besting Captain Asuri in an Agni Kai. The name did mean something to her, and it was impressive, but she wasn’t letting the new babysitter know that outright.

She still wasn’t pleased by any of this.

Especially her little quip that was downright insulting to Azula.

She scowled, and imagined what painful techniques she could employ on Zarine for her insults that could’ve served to embarrass Azula had anyone else been around. Fortunately, there was none. The man that brought Azula to Zarine was long gone, fearing her wrath. Good.

“I guess the others should know about you,” she murmured, suffering defeat in her new babysitter. It was downright insulting! She didn’t need one! She was an adult who was inheriting the throne to a kingdom.

If she had her way, Zarine won’t last long.

Azula started to walk down a corridor, not bothering to see if Zarine was behind her. If she was smart, then she would follow.

“Yes, Lee and Mushi are fine,” Iroh chuckled at Safira asking about other names. Sure, he’d prefer any other name, mostly his own, but he couldn’t say that, “Unless you come up with some clever nicknames, of course,” he allowed with that amicable grin, hearing Zuko scoff in the background. “Might I suggest Li-li?”

“Hey,” Zuko grumbled his complaint for anything cutesy.

Not to mention it reminded him of Zu-zu in a way, and he didn’t want to hear that. At all. Or think about it, and the betrayal of his sister. He knew she was always…well, difficult. Frustrating. But he’d thought they would still have each other at the end.

Her lust for power dashed those hopes.

“I will look forward to seeing you in Ba Sing Se, Safira,” Iroh inclined his head.

“Uh, yeah. Thanks.” Zuko gave an awkward wave as Safira did turn away, and the pair went into the inn.

In Knotweed, Iroh walked to the counter and placed a White Lotus upon the counter, “Excuse me?” he lifted his voice as no one appeared at the desk. A woman quickly popped her head out from a backroom, hair streaked with grey, “My nephew and I were hoping to get a room,” he moved his hand off the white lotus, “Mushi and Lee,” they needed to continue the lie.

She looked down and saw the mark. “Ah! Yes, we have your room,” she agreed, “this way, Mushi.”

It was simply that easy, thankfully. They settled in, Iroh talked with Tosha, and Zuko eventually fell asleep.

In the morning, he was woken by the all too familiar sound of Fire Nation war machines, and jolted upright to look out the window, only to see the people in the dawning light scurrying about, and someone in a yelling match with one of the soldiers.

Zuko watched that someone get incinerated by the soldier, and he turned quickly around, “Uncle, we need to—”

Iroh was already garbed, but hooded. Prepared to flee.

Zuko wasn’t sure how to feel about that. “We need to stop them!”

Iroh blinked under his hood, before he lifted his brows, and laughed. “When did you get so brave?”

Zuko glared, but moved to get ready for the day, “You’ll need to cover that scar,” Zuko winced. It was the only thing that might lead others to recognizing him for who he was in the Fire Nation. “I’m sure Tosha has some make—”

“No. They won’t recognize me like this.” So long as he didn’t use his fire. Not in green, without his topknot.

~***~

Nothing Zarine said seemed to please Azula. No twitch of approval about Asuri. No sense of humor about the rest of her orders. It might have been a complete shame, if Azula’s anger didn’t cause her heart to beat faster. It wasn’t entirely fear, though Zarine wouldn’t deny fear was a part. Azula’s anger was already terribly thrilling, her expression promising so many things in Zarine’s imagination.

She knew it wasn’t real.

Zarine did indeed follow to meet these others. She had been briefed that Azula left behind the Fire Nation support she had to travel with two friends: Mai and Ty Lee. Ty Lee was little more than a circus performer, and Mai another pampered noble. They had been childhood friends of Azula, and now Zarine wondered if they were Azula’s only friends, with an attitude like she displayed.

Azula led her to a room where the two were. It was easy to guess who was who. The one she assumed was ‘Mai’, for she looked a bit like Ukano and had ‘resting bitch face’ – not good for a performer –, glanced up from laying across a bed, painting her nails black.

Mai’s tawny gaze moved from the newcomer, to Azula, and she asked in a monotonous, unenthused voice, “Who is this?”

Zarine would allow Azula the authority to set the tone, rather than interject with ‘babysitter’ – though it took quite a bit of willpower not to say that. It definitely shone on her expression that she was trying not to say something she thought was funny.

The evening with her parents was a joyous one. They embraced and enjoyed one another’s company over the baked goods Safira brought with her, sans the two she gave to the weary travelers, which she told her parents about.

Their peace shattered come morning.

The sounds of Fire Nation war machines woke up everyone in the village. Chaos immediately erupted. Villagers were being directed to the river, to begin immediate construction on a dam. Several refused and argued with the Fire Nation soldiers.

Those several did not survive.

Children cried. Confusion reigned rampant as those who were able to build followed the Fire Nation’s orders. Who would dare defy them? It was a mighty army against a small village.

Safira had managed to avoid the Fire Nation so far, but a part of her, as she watched with fury the Fire Nation pushing her parents along to join everyone else. But what could she do? Her and her Master were the only two earthbenders of the village. They couldn’t stop the Fire Nation soldiers alone, could they?

In her peripheral vision she saw Mushi and Lee, and immediately she ran over to them. “Lee! Mushi! You two should leave now, while you still can,” she panted. “Please get to Ba Sing Se safely.”

~~~

“This is Lieutenant Zarine,” Azula introduced with a look on her face. “Daddy dearest decided I needed someone to watch me.” She did nothing to hide the disdain in her tone or on her facebook as she rolled her eyes at her own words, walking over to sit on a plush settee near Mai.

Ty Lee, who had been practicing her stretches and contortionist on the spacious floor, stood up straight and energetically went over to the newcomer. “I’m Ty Lee!” she introduced, knowing her other two friends weren’t going to do the honors.

It was alright. She was happy to do it both for them! “And the one painting her nails is Mai!” Ty Lee didn’t expect Mai to introduce herself to Zarine.

“I’m so glad that introductions are now out of the way,” Azula said with a wave of her hand, the sarcasm heavy.

“Is she also going to help us capture your brother and the Avatar?” Ty Lee asked, and Azula didn’t immediately answer that, just gave Zarine a look to answer that herself. She didn’t know the extent of the woman’s job, but if she valued her position and her life, then perhaps she should help out.

The smart thing would be to bow his head, and run off. Zuko knew that, but he was furious seeing the Fire Nation disturb this village. It became clear why – they were trying to dam up a river that fed into Ba Sing Se to help ruin the fortified city, by limiting their resources. Earthbenders could have done a good job at damming it up, too, but they didn’t seem to have any.

Just people of the Earth nation.

But Zuko recognized something these villagers probably didn’t – the force here wasn’t big enough to be official.

These were people rejected, trying to get back in the good graces of the Fire Nation.

Reinforcements wouldn’t be coming.

As Zuko and Iroh stepped out, the girl from the other day approached – Safira. Zuko almost didn’t respond to the name, but Iroh managed to.

He reached out his arms to her and settled them on both her shoulders, “Breathe, breathe,” he encouraged, “what is going on?” there wasn’t a focus here, thankfully, “who is leading this?” that would be very important in disrupting it.

Zuko was half-listening, peering out to make sure no one was about to approach them. One looked like he might, so Zuko stayed alert for that. “There’s only fifteen….” Fifteen, but all benders, it seemed.

~***~

Azula did plenty to embarrass herself by her tone and demeanor. Zarine wouldn’t point out how obvious she was pouting, how petty she was being, and how it only made her look, well, pathetic. Not when there was something adorable about how pathetic she seemed. Zarine couldn’t put her finger on it, and wouldn’t dare try, as she looked to the one who approached and introduced herself as Ty Lee.

No one of note.

Mai, she knew from her father alone. That was all. Yet another spoiled aristocrat by the looks of it, though on the apathetic bend, rather than the passionate side as Azula was. Likely an elder daughter to her younger – the one who got nothing and the one who got everything.

Zarine nodded to Ty Lee’s question as Azula gave her a bit of a side eye.

Ty Lee was cute in her own way, too, with that high energy and easy smile.

“Yes, I am here to aid Princess Azula’s quest. The Fire Lord retains faith in her, and in her chosen companions, to accomplish this mission. He just believed it needed some more…official oversight.” Zarine clarified. “I am not here to get in the way of the mission, only to aid it.”

She shifted, “On that note, I’m not quite sure I know what it is you two are capable of,” she let her gaze move briefly to Mai, before settling on Ty Lee. “Knowing that would help me to aid plans better.”

Mai responded in that bored, monotonous voice, “We’re all capable fighters,” perhaps that was a given. She elaborated, “I prefer throwing knives,” she never once looked up from her work, as she finished painting her nails and capped the polish.

Safira initially tensed with the touch, an instinct reaction, but she then relaxed under his caring gaze. Breathe. Yes. She could do that.

And so she did, before refocusing on Mushi’s questions. “The Fire Nation soldiers are forcing everyone to the river to construct a dam.” Even the elderly. They wouldn’t survive such grueling work. “I…” Safira looked around, motioning to a soldier yelling at a line of villagers to hurry up, “I think he’s the leader. He’s been giving the most orders.” And other Fire Nation soldiers have been obeying orders he gave them.

Safira continued to breathe slowly in an attempt to not freak out and hyperventilate. Where was Rishi? Fifteen firebenders versus two earthbenders. The odds didn’t look great.

“I have to do something,” she muttered, looking around at the chaos unfolding. She turned back to Mushi and Lee. “This is why you must leave now, before you get forced into this mess.” Though with the way one of the soldiers was eyeing them, she wondered if it was too late for them.

~~~

Ty Lee smiled as Mai explained they were all capable fighters. “And I’m skilled in hand-to-hand combat, and extremely knowledgeable in the human body. I can block your chi, causing you to lose access to your bending for some time.” She maintained her cheery disposition as she spoke, despite the heavy nature of her own abilities.

It made her useful to Azula.

She had her other uses though!

Azula looked like she was more than ready to go on to another conversation, but Ty Lee wanted to learn more about their newest companion first, even if it did irk Azula a little.

Or a lot.

“If you were chosen by Fire Lord Ozai, then I’m sure you have your own special skillset of your own!” Aside from typical firebender like any other soldier of the Fire Nation would know.

Even from this distance, Zuko could tell the man didn’t have much rank. It only furthered his belief this wasn’t actually sanctioned, though he kept that to himself as Iroh shook his head at her determination.

“You should get yourself and your loved ones to safety,” he said, “though I am touched you would worry about an old man and his nephew,” he chuckled, “this isn’t our first encounter with the fire nation. We have some, ah, useful talents in dealing with them,” he offered a wink to her, before dropping his hands and stepping forward as indeed, one soldier began to approach.

But Zuko was far more brash, storming forward to meet the soldier.

“You three! Get to work on the dam!”

“Where’s the order?” Zuko snapped right back.

“The—we are the order. You will do what you’re asked.”

“You’re lying,” Zuko snarled, digging his heels in as soon as they were close, not at all backing down as he stood at eye-level with the soldier. No doubt, the scar was visible, evidence of his defiance.

Evidence, for all this soldier knew, of him overcoming a firebender.

“You don’t have any official orders to be here.”

The soldier scoffed, “So? When the army outside of Ba Sing Se finds out what we’ve done to help, our initiative will win us accolades, and perhaps all of you will even find favor in the eyes of the Fire Lord.”

‘Yeah, right.’

“So get to work, unless you want another scar to match.”

Zuko had the confirmation he wanted. No one else was coming. “Show me the way.”

Isolate.

Destroy.

One by one.

“Oh – I’m afraid I can’t help,” Iroh lied, touching his back, “I’m too frail.”

“If you can walk, you can work,” the soldier snapped at him. “Go to the carts,” he pointed to another area, “You, girl, with us.” She didn’t seem frail.

~***~

Zarine shook her head at Ty Lee’s probing, more because Azula didn’t need to know the nature of her firebending differed in any way. “No, I’m afraid I’m just another bender,” he explained, relaxing a bit under Ty Lee’s disposition.

She liked it.

Was that what Azula liked, too? Shame. She couldn’t be that easily chipper, “Perhaps more skilled than most, but I can hardly maintain blue flames,” a simple concession to Azula as the better bender, “but I’m rather unfamiliar with your talents. Would you mind demonstrating? I promise – I’m asking, so I won’t be angry,” light encouragement.

“Please, block my bending.”

Mai raised her eyebrows, the most emotion she’d shown during this exchange, at the lieutenant’s request. She certainly acted…different than the typical bender. Of course, Mai knew fire nation benders were taught to rely on their anger.

Zarine seemed calm and collected.

Different, even if she wouldn’t admit to what made her different.

Safira stared at Zuka, amazed that he had such guts to stand up to the Fire Nation soldier. Did he have a death wish? Or did they truly have a secret way of dealing with them, as Mushi had suggested?

She tensed her jaw as the soldier ordered them all to get to work. She wanted to send a column of the earth beneath him straight up, fast enough to propel him into the sky and far from there.

But the others would retaliate. She couldn’t handle that many firebenders at once, even if it is only twelve in total there, and they were all spread out.

Safira paused, taking in what she could see. Soldiers threatening her people, villagers carrying supplies to the river. There was Rishi in the distance, and from there she could see the calculating look on his face. They were both figuring out how to get rid of the Fire Nation soldiers.

Her pause did not go unnoticed. “Keep moving, girl.” He pressed a hand into her back to shove her forward, but Safira did not have the best reaction to the unexpected touch.

Upon being touched, she immediately spun around and punched him in the face. Her immediate reaction was horror, as her eyes widened at the shock of what she’d done. “You’ll regret this,” he said. Yeah, I already do.

In a blink, he sent a blast of fire her way, and without hesitating, Safira brought a wall of earth and stone in front of her to protect herself from incineration.

~~~

Ty Lee stared at Zarine in astonishment, unsure if she just heard correctly. The lieutenant wanted her to block her bending? Willingly? That was certainly…an unusual request.

So unusual, that she looked towards Azula for an answer. Azula, who regarded the woman with a raised eyebrow. Either she is truly curious or truly an imbecile. It was hard to gather which one.

Ultimately, she nodded at Ty Lee, giving the acrobat the encouragement to continue forth with a demonstration. “This is bound to be interesting.”

Ty Lee nodded, and turned back to Zarine. “The effects of the chi block should only last you a few minutes.” In an instant, she flipped and jumped around the woman, using two fingers to poke Zarine in various pressure points.

If she really wanted to incapacitate her, Ty Lee could, and all with a smile. And it was with a smile that Ty Lee landed back in front of the woman. Her joints should feel looser, and she should feel a certain disconnection inside of her if the chi was successfully blocked. “How do you feel?”

Zuko tried not to look pained as Safira chose violence. Why oh why couldn't she have just walked along? As it was, the bender reacted accordingly, and Zuko pulled his blade.

He didn't have time to be surprised at Safira bending. He had time to plunge his blade between the weak point in the armor near the neck and pull it out just as fast.

The bender fell to their knees, flame spitting at their neck in a hopeless attempt to cauterize the wound.

“This is not the route I would have gone,” Iroh sighed as attention moved to them and the dying firebender.

Zuko just grit his teeth. “We have to deal with it. Split up!” He advised, figuring out was the one way to prevent them from having to deal with all the benders at once, and even the playing ground a bit by choosing where to stop running.

Not to mention if he and Iroh could get out of sight, they could bend.

~***~

There was likely no need for all the flair Ty Lee added with the flipping about, but it didn't startle Zarine. True to her word, she didn't flinch or strike back, but held position. She felt the feather light touches to her pressure points, and did indeed feel a certain looseness.

Ty Lee would likely have great talent as a masseuse, if only they weren't at war.

“I feel fine, but that's not the actual test, is it?” Likely, Ty Lee could have made it painful. Excruciating. Zarine was quite interested in learning more – learning these skills, or how to avoid them – if it worked.

Zarine shifted into an atypical bending stance, more relaxed, less tense, and attempted to form fire in her hands. However, as expected, it didn't work at all. Zarine gave it another try, sliding as fluidly as a water bender into the next motion, but nothing came.

A smile broke onto her lips. “Fascinating,” she remarked, “we ought to be teaching this to all our non-bending soldiers,” the marvel of it glittered in her eyes.

Mai groaned. “Great. Just what we need. Another Ty Lee cheerleader.” Ty Lee did tend to get all the attention, when people didn't know Azula was princess.

Zarine chuckled as she shook her head, “Your skill has just as much merit when one can't get close. Combining it with the knowledge of pressure points would certainly only add to your deadly capabilities.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back