Viewpoint Assigned Couples vs Natural Progression

Do you like assigned couples or for couples to "hook up" naturally?

• Assigned

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Natural Hook Up

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Both! I don't care either way!

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
For me, it really depends on the context of the RP and whom I’m writing with.

In assigned couples, it’s really a given when it’s 1 x 1 and my partner expressed an interest for romance specifically. It’s fun to write in some scenes with romantic tropes and you can really delve deeper into what their relationship looks like - who plays what role? What sort of response would they have if X, Y happened to them? There’s less pressure of planning will-they, won’t-they and more of a focus on the relationship itself. Honing their chemistry and finding ways that truly work together as a team. Also, getting together doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s the end goal and the RP is completed. Couples go through challenges and don’t really stop growing even when they’re together. So when I think of assigned couples, I think about the future and the challenges they may face. If I was looking for a character-driven plot, assigned couples would actually be my go-to.

In natural progression couples, there’s usually a unifying event that brings them together. They may start of as friends or strangers, but there’s usually a larger plot, outside of the characters in play. A revolution, a fight, a total accident brought forth by kismet. When I think about natural progression, it errs on the side that these characters have to stay in each others lives to develop that romantic connection that way. And I think that’s the challenge in itself, planning meetings and points of connection that lasts to keep both partners still interested. Natural progression is my go-to when I’m looking for plots outside romance. In this case, it feels like romance is a garnish and embellishment to an even larger tale/story.

I’ve written both, assigned and natural progression in romance and they both have been incredibly fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back