• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Assassin's Pledge: Convergence (Veilbrand)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Erik looked confused, but Bernard and Riley both sat down.

"Sure. Could be fun. But just one game cause I don't really have all that much to bet with as it is. Gotta save some for the basic needs, ya know?"

"I'm in."

Erik hovered over Riley's shoulder.

"So um... How does the whole raising in intervals of three work, exactly? I've never played games like this so I'm not sure how this all works."

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara grinned,"Well since I have two dice and there's three of us playing so we'll only have two rounds, or two rounds of betting, which means there is no raising. Intervals of three means every third round in a match the buy-in increases by three. Everyone pays three to play, and bets on a different color. If we had more than three players then more than one person can bid on the same color. Say I bid on blue and the dice roll ends up being red and blue, whoever bid on white is out of play and the other two play another round." She paused for a moment to let her words sink in before continuing. "If the dice roll results in two blue then I take out my bet plus two thirds from the pot before the next rounds starts. If you bet on white and both die result in white then you win immediately and the match is over. If only two players are left and neither call the dice roll correctly, then the dice is re-rolled. If the last two make the right call they split the pot accordingly, but if one bet white they get the entire pot without splitting. Got all that?" Samara tossed three copper coins unto the barrel and waited with anticipation for Riley and Bernard's response. She would give Erik a suggestive glance or two, but said nothing more.

GojiBean GojiBean

Erik blinked.

"I... Think so?"

"Just sit down and toss three Copper in, will ya? Live a little."

"Relax, Bernard. If he doesn't want to bet, he doesn't have to. His money after all."

"Bah. Sit and bet, Erik."

"Okay. Sure. I'm uh. I'm in."

Erik sat down, and all three put three Copper each into the barrel.

"So who bets first?"

"Senior has the honors?" Bernard asked, looking at Samara.

Meekakitty Meekakitty

"Excellent, I'll bid on red of course," Samara said blatantly. She pointed to the person to her right,"Your bid?" She flipped up a small iron cup from the rocky ground next to the barrel. She dropped the two dice into the cup and covered the opening with her hand. After a bit of vigorously shaking the cup she slammed the cup down onto the barrel leaving the dice inside concealed. Her hand remained on the top of the upside down cup.

Round 1 / Match 1

Current Pot:
Twelve (12) Copper

Current Players:
Samara (Red)
Riley (?)
Erik (?)
Bernard (?)

GojiBean GojiBean

Last edited:
Riley nodded.

"I'll bet on blue."

"I'll bet blue too, since we got four people and someone has to bet on a chosen color already."

"I guess I'm white then."

"Decided then?"

"Yep! Let's see those dice, Cap!"

Meekakitty Meekakitty

2, 4, 6 = Red
3, 5= Blue
1 = White
I'm rolling with physical dice. Don't remember if RPNation has a dice feature or not.

Round 1 / Match 1

Current Pot:
Twelve (12) Copper

Current Players:
Samara (Red)
Riley (Blue)
Bernard (Blue)
Erik (White)

Red and White

Samara jolted her hand up revealing the rounds dice roll. She was content with the result, seeing that she remained in the game, but was somewhat disappointed after realizing that the two on blue were knocked off. " Well damn, guess we'll only be doing TWO rounds." She shrugged and passed the cup along with the dice to Erik. "It's your bid now." She dropped an additional three copper into the pot. She leaned back a bit then remember there wasn't a backrest to her seat. She watch both Riley and Bernard for their reactions to losing in the first round.

GojiBean GojiBean

Last edited:
Bernard watched eagerly with a smirk on his face as the anticipation mounted. But as the cup came up, his face dropped.

"Son of a-... How do I always get shafted in the first round of any competition?!"

Riley, by contrast, simply nodded his head with a semi-disappointed expression.

"Well, can't win 'em all. Calm down, Bernard."

The pair got to bickering while Erik's eyebrows had shot up and he blinked several times.

"Wait, I-... I actually made it?"

"You sure did, kid. Toss in three more Copper and make your bet on the colors."

Erik did as instructed by tossing in three more Copper.

"Okay. I uh... I bet on white again."

"You sure you wanna play the odds there, buddy? They're not really in your favor ya know."

"Says the one who was knocked out."

"Oh fuck you Riley."

Riley shared a bellowing laugh at Bernard's expense as he continued complaining about how he always lost in the first round of any competition he ever entered. Erik, meanwhile, put the dice in the cup and mimicked what he saw Samara doing earlier by shaking it and throwing it down on the table with the dice underneath.

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara felt at home listening to the two trainees began to have a casual argument. She had hope to get a good reaction, and this was exactly what she wanted.

"Okay. I uh... I bet on white again."

~You son of a bitch~ Samara thought to herself, she had hoped to bid on white for the final round."Since this is the final round, winner takes all. White trumps, so no matter what I bid, if a white shows up, you win. With that said I'll bid on red once again," she said trying to hide her discontent while patiently waiting for Erik to roll the dice. Her hopes of winnings were on the line here, and though the stakes were low, it was getting her excited. So had already gotten what she wanted from the match, beside losing wasn't going to break the bank. She basically just conned her previous trainees, so she had a little extra spending money.

Round 2 / Match 1

Current Pot:
Eighteen (18) Copper

Current Players:
Samara (Red)
Erik (White)

GojiBean GojiBean

Last edited:
Erik nodded and shook the cup a little bit, and then lifted it.

"Oh..."

Both dice came up red.

"HA!"

"Bad luck kiddo."

"Well, uh... This means you get a chunk of the pot, right? Your bet plus a third? I think? So that's... uh..."

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara perked up to see the result. After seeing two red a wide, toothy, smile formed on her face. "That rule only applies when more than one person bids on the same color. This is the final round, so like I just said, winner takes all." She scooped the eighteen copper coins and dropped them into her coin purse. There was no attempt to hide her elation. Standing slowly, "Well that was a fun game, I suppose we ought to head to bed now. Training begins bright and early, and I'm going to work you like dogs." She said casually. She pocketed the dice from the barrel, and waited for the trainees to leave.

Round 2 / Match 1

Current Pot:
Eighteen (18) Copper

Current Players:
Samara (Red)
Erik (White)

Red and Red

GojiBean GojiBean

Erik blinked.

"I see."

"Can't say I'm surprised ya lost there, Erik! Hahahaha!"

Riley smacked Bernard on the back of the head.

'The fuck was that for?!"

"You're being an ass. So shut it and let's get to bed. You heard the Captain."

"Ah, fuck Riley. Killjoy."

"Um. Thanks for the game, Captain. I look forward to tomorrow."

"More like dread."

Erik glanced at Bernard with a bit of a tremble in his lip as Riley gave Bernard another smack to the head.

"I said let's go."

"Fine, fine! Just stop smacking me!"

With that, the three recruits left the Captain to her winnings.

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara stepped out of the cave, taking a deep breath of cool night air. She walked over to the officer's barracks, a shoddy wooden building, but at least it was better than the tents the new recruits got. The building was mostly empty as the night was still young. She proceeded to her bunk and fell into a sitting position on it. A long sigh forced it's way out her lungs and she removed her boots slowly. A fellow officer took notice of her and gave a silent greeting, to which Samara did the same. She wasn't particularly tired quite yet, but she laid back and closed her eyes anyway. Her thoughts focused on what she had planned for tomorrow, more specifically how she was going to break the new recruit down. ~Perhaps a sparring match to test their abilities, or maybe an endurance test of some kind.~ She pondered, flipping back and forth between different ideas until slumber overtook her.

She had woken up just before day break. She wasted no time at all. She immediately pulled on her boots, and set off for the latrines. She did her business, using a moistened rag to wash off afterward. Her next destination was the mess hall. After securing a freshly baked biscuit she went of to the stables and greeted the stable's master. "I need two horses, and a pack saddle." She requested. The stable master nodded and guided two average sized horses along and handed them off to Samara. One of them bore a pack saddle, and Samara mounted the other. She headed toward the training grounds at a casual trot. She waited and watched for her trainees to show up.

GojiBean GojiBean

"WAKEY WAKEY!!"

Erik started and fell out of his bunk to the unforgiving hardwood floor while Riley droopily blinked his eyes and wiped them while giving Bernard a glare.

"Let's go you guys! We got training with the Cap!"

"You couldn't actually wait for the cock to crow?"

"That thing's unreliable! C'mon! Let's go!"

"Oohh... Is it really... Yawwwwwnnn... Is it really time already?"

"Yep! Now let's go!"

Riley and Erik barely had time to get dressed, the former putting his tunic on backwards, before they were pulled out the door of the barracks by Bernard and dragged towards the training grounds. The now rising sun peeking over the horizon forced Erik and Riley to shield their eyes while Bernard took in a deep breath.

"Aaahh... Smell that morning air, guys! Perfect for training!"

"Something in your head's broken, Bernard."

Bernard laughed while Erik couldn't stop yawning as they marched up to Samara.

"Reporting for training, Captain!" Bernard said with a hearty salute.

Riley and Erik saluted as well, with Erik trying to hide a yawn behind a head turn.

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Despite the attempt to hide it, Samara noticed Erik's yawn. She was pleased to see that they hadn't fully woken up yet. "Follow me," she began to trot away. After a few moment she added,"Oh, and don't fall behind." With the she picked up the pace forcing the trainees into a light jog. Samara headed away from the base grounds and into the forest, not dropping in speed for a moment. All the while keeping an eye on the three as to make sure they hadn't gotten lost. She began to sing running cadences, only slightly out of tune.

GojiBean GojiBean

Erik sighed as Bernard and Riley unquestioningly began jogging after the Captain as she trotted off. Giving his cheeks a quick smack, he took off as well and quickly caught up to them.

'Whaddya think, Riley?"

"I think we should just keep our eyes on the Captain and not get ourselves lost in the woods."

"Ha! Always the pragmatist, eh? Erik! What about you?"

"Wait-what? Me? Um. What was the question?"

"Not quite awake yet, are ya?"

"Not yet. But..." He yawned. "I'm on the way."

"Just don't trip up, kiddo."

"Come on, Riley. I'm not that-"

Splat!

Erik face planted in the dirt and grass beneath their feet much to Bernard's amusement as he burst out laughing with Riley shaking his head. Erik quickly got up and sprinted to catch up, falling back in line with the group while spitting out a few last blades.

"Nice one Erik!"

"Shut up and eyes front, Bernard."

"Ah, fuck off Riley. I'm the strongest runner here. I know where I'm-"

Splat!

Bernard ran into a thin and small tree which nearly toppled him off his feet, though he was quick to recover much to Riley's amusement as seen by his wry smile.

"Not a fucking word."

"My lips are sealed."

"That was pretty funny, Bernard."

"Shut it, kid."

As the group continued on through the forest, it became clear fairly early on which was in need of this cardio workout the most.

"Hey... Are we almost... There yet?"

"Eh? Tired already, kid? C'mon! Buck up!"

"Tough it out, Erik. We get there when we get there."

"You sound a bit winded yourself, there, Riley."

"Not really."

"Ha! Fine, then."

"Can we... Stop for water real quick?"

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara pressed on, but her singing halted for a moment. "Come on boys, repeat the words after me," Her singing continued, pausing after each line for the trainees to repeat them. Her pace did not falter. She pulled out a water skin from the pack saddle and tossed it to Erik, singing even louder now. It was too early in the run for a break, so Erik was going to have to tough through it.

GojiBean GojiBean

Erik gasped and coughed as he tried to keep pace.

"Buck up buddy! We got this!"

The jog continued. And eventually Erik seemed to get a second wind as he stopped complaining and managed to keep up a bit better than before. He even managed to chime in with the singing despite not really knowing the words and starting out with just mumbling along.

"'Scuse me, Captain? Where exactly are we headed, if I may ask?"

"Probably on a nice long cardio exercise before going back to the training grou-"

A gunshot rang out through the trees and the bark of a tree just next to Bernard exploded outward causing him and Riley, who were close together, to flinch and nearly lose their footing.

"Gunfire!" "Gunfire!" "Gunfire!" They all shouted!

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara instinctively position herself in between the recruits and the direction of gunfire, doing her best to keep the horses from panic. She looked around for cover finding thick brush tall enough to conceal a horse. Her eyes darted into the tree line, scanning for the shooter with little success. Without wasting precious time she dismounted her mare, keeping hold of their leads with her left hand. Silently she motioned toward the tall brush, and began to lead the horses in that direction. She hadn’t prepared for an ambush so close to base camp, but she also wasn’t ready to assume this was an ambush. Nonetheless, she couldn’t reject the possibility and thus was taking precautions.

Once she had ample cover she made a head count. No one seemed to have been hit, but potential danger was still imminent. In a hushed, but clear tone she began, “Get into position to mount the horses. On my signal, mount up and make way for base camp, and warn Lieutenant Lee and call for backup. Erik your with me.” She pulled out a large hunting knife from the pack saddle. She handed the packsaddled horse to Bernard, and the other to Erik. “Friend or Foe?!” She cried out to the shooter. Not expecting a response, she lowered herself into a sprinting position, holding the knife upside down.

GojiBean GojiBean

Bernard, Riley, and Erik all formed up and ducked behind the brush as Samara began positioning herself and prepping the horses. Each one, somehow in sync, crept towards her position as she began to give them instructions. Bernard took the reins and gave a nod, glancing to Riley who nodded back. Erik, meanwhile, was already up by Samara's side taking out his own hunting knife from inside his left boot. It wasn't quite as impressive as Samara's. But it would do just fine in any scrape.

To Samara's shout of "friend or foe," no reply was given. But another gunshot rang out in the direction of the horses from up ahead through the trees. The bullet broke a branch just above and left of Samara's mare's head which caused the mare to flinch, but not panic.

"On your word, Captain."

"We can make it to base camp in about ten minutes if I tracked our direction correctly."

"I saw the angle of that last shot. They're up and to our left past that massive Grey Oak up there."

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara looked over to the oak tree, still not able to get a good view of the shooter. She looks left and right, looking for hard cover finding nearby wide trees on each side. “Okay, Erik see that thick tree there?” She began pointing to the right side ,” I need you to run and duck behind that tree. I’m going to get the shooters attention and go left. When you hear the the shot, Riley and Bernard get back to bases, and Erik you get into position. Once they’ve made sufficient distance fall back slowly and stay hidden. We have give command enough time to rally and flee. Let none passed you. Ready?” She didn’t wait for an answer. Samara bolted out from behind cover, keeping a low posture, and making as much noise as possible.

GojiBean GojiBean

Erik nodded and was in the middle of confirming his understanding when Samara bolted out of cover. Riley and Bernard prepared themselves to leap into the saddles while Erik then bolted from cover as well to the right while keeping as low a profile as humanly possible.

A shot rang out from ahead of Samara, barely missing her left shoulder.

As soon as the shot was heard, Riley and Bernard were on horseback and galloping away into the depths of the woods towards base.

Erik dove behind a nearby tree and peered carefully around the corner and was just barely able to see the silhouette of a human figure up ahead. It was hiding behind the Gray Oak he'd pointed out to the Captain before. And he couldn't make out if it was male or female. But since they'd just fired, they were now hunkering down to reload their weapon with the ram rod. He was about to emerge and try to go for them, but was stopped when he saw two more silhouettes emerge from behind trees further back and rush to the other one's side.

Three of them back there now. He wouldn't stand a chance by himself. He had to find a way to let the Captain know about what he was seeing or she'd be rushing into a fight she couldn't win.

It was then he remembered something. When he first was recruited and on the way to camp with the others, the Scout who recruited them told them about the whistles the Revolution used in the field to communicate without using words. A short, sharp, high pitched whistle indicated an enemy was spotted. So if he wanted to let the Captain know...

He put his fingers to his lips and whistles three times as sharply and as loudly as he could to indicate three enemies were in sight. The forest was quiet today. So they'd easily be heard by both the Captain and the enemy. It was a gamble to do this. He was giving away his position. Or at least the general position relative to where the enemy was right now. But if it came down to making sure the Captain knew what she was getting closer to and risking himself, then letting the Captain know it was going to be.

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara dove behind a large tree with low branches, adrenaline starting to stick in. She searched the ground for a heavy branch, or rock, but found only a handful of small pebbles. The sound of Erik's whistling rang out. If she had her combat gear with her a three on one fight would be doable, but currently her only advantage was time. All she could do now was stall. "What are your terms for surrender?" she called out trying to sound frightened enough though she was more pumped than anything. She picked up a short, but durable stick and began sharpening it with her knife. Once it had been sharpened enough to pierce skin she hid inside of her hair, securing it with a loose knot of hair. She repeated the process once more, but hid the stick along her waist band. She stood up with her back against the tree and looked back in search of Erik, hoping the fool would follow her orders.

GojiBean GojiBean

Erik caught his breath after the whistling and tried to remember what the Captain had said. First was to duck behind this thick tree. And then once Bernard and Riley were safely away he was supposed to slowly start falling back, right?

The Captain asked what the terms for surrender would be. And her voice sounded terrified. Erik's body shook wondering what would happen. Was this where he died? So soon? Basically day one after his recruitment and making it into the Revolution to meet his Captain? It was time already?

Mentally he gave himself a slap and peeked around the tree to see what the enemy was up to.

There was no call back to the Captain. That had to mean that surrender wasn't an option. He couldn't really see the Captain that well from where he was. But he knew she had that big knife of hers if push came to shove. But could she win against three of them while they were armed with at least one rifle he had been able to see? Even if they took a while to reload they made good weapons themselves like long distance clubs and such.

Fighting against all his thoughts, Erik stayed low and slowly began to inch back beneath the brush in an attempt to start falling back like he remembered the Captain telling him to. Riley and Bernard were already long gone by now. But it'd only been a minute or two at most. The heat of combat made it feel like time was passing much faster than it really was proving time was a cruel, cruel mistress.

Erik closed his eyes momentarily and thought of a prayer from his childhood which always gave him comfort in stressful times...

But the enemy had spied the faint splash of off-white coloring in his tunic through the gaps in the brush and took aim with his rifle. Clicking back the hammer, he closed his left eye just as Erik began moving again. Following the general movement, he licked his lips and squeezed the trigger...

BANG!

Erik's brain barely registered the sound of a gunshot before a searing pain tore through his left forearm. Slipping onto his stomach from his crawling position, he glanced down and saw a gaping hole through the center of his left arm just three inches below the elbow. Blood poured from the wound and pain unlike any he'd ever felt in his life took hold as he bit his lip to stop himself from screaming out. He couldn't let the Captain give away her position or lose any element of surprise she'd been building. He had to be strong! He had to!! It was too important!!

Meekakitty Meekakitty

The sound of another shot was alarming, and Samara's excitement turned toward dread. There was no bullet impact that she could hear, which meant that she wasn't the target. Erik, the damned fool had given up his position and had to be the other target as Riley and Bernard had already made their escape. Without a visual of Erik's whereabouts Samara made the choice to regroup. She dashed back into her original hiding place being the tall brush while the shooter reloaded. The tree that Erik would have been hidden behind was vacant, with no obvious sign of Erik being there. By now the the shooter would have reloaded, and Samara was pinned down and alone. She took the handful of pebbles she's collect and tossed them into a bush, hoping to make it sound like she had moved there. With the slight misdirection, she took the gamble and gave a full sprint behind the tree she had ordered Erik to hide behind.

GojiBean GojiBean

Last edited:
Erik tore off the sleeve on his left arm and quickly tied it around his forearm just above the wound. Using his teeth, he pulled tightly to cut off the blood flow and stem the loss of blood as he was rapidly becoming light headed. Just the sight of the blood and the pain shooting through his arm were enough to make him feel like vomiting.

"Keep it together, Erik." He muttered to himself.

He looked up towards the tree the Captain had told him to hide behind and started crawling towards it while keeping his left forearm off the ground and away from any objects as much as possible. Every time his elbow accidentally brushed the ground a searing pain shot through him and he had to bite his lower lip to stop from screaming. And blood was beginning to trickle from said lip due to the force he put into his bites.

It took a few seconds, but he managed to make it back behind the safety of the big tree and flopped down onto the dirt as low as he could to not leave a silhouette or let the color of his tunic show through any bushes.

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back